PDA

View Full Version : Kellen Jones...

dwarthog
3/8/2012, 08:52 AM
According to a couple of reports he isn't participating in spring practice.

Anyone got any scoop on this?

KantoSooner
3/8/2012, 09:27 AM
thought I saw an article this morning in TW. Mikey said he was gone and didn't know why.

dwarthog
3/8/2012, 09:41 AM
I saw that as well. Was hoping someone had additional info they could share.

Boomer.....
3/8/2012, 10:05 AM
@johnehoover Close
LB Tom Wort just told me LB Kellen Jones is "no longer here...wasn't at 1st two practices." Waiting to hear more from Mike Stoops. #Sooners

Doesn't sound good. Might be transferring again.

cccasooner2
3/8/2012, 10:17 AM
Someone(s) will have to step up and make up for that 0.83 tackle per game output.

badger
3/8/2012, 01:22 PM
Kellen Jones article here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120308_92_B7_bDowna668323)

"He worked out most of the winter. I thought he was here," Mike Stoops said. "But I'm not sure (why Jones left.)"

Dio
3/8/2012, 05:36 PM
Someone(s) will have to step up and make up for that 0.83 tackle per game output.

Kabba'd

8timechamps
3/8/2012, 05:47 PM
If he is, in fact, leaving OU. That's two schools in two years. I'm thinking he's not going to do much with his talents.

goingoneight
3/8/2012, 06:10 PM
My first and only thought is "who?"

Sorry, KJ... hope all is well.

8timechamps
3/8/2012, 06:24 PM
It's offical:

I have been able to get more on information on why linebacker Kellen Jones has not been practicing with the team this week. Jones has asked for and been granted his release, and plans to transfer this summer. He will finish out this semester at OU.

From what I have been able to gather, Jones has really enjoyed his time at OU. He made outstanding grades in the fall. The impetus for the transfer was due to the turnover on the defensive staff after the bowl game. Jones had grown really tight with Brent Venables, Willie Martinez and GA Ryan Reynolds. Those three guys were the ones who recruited him to OU and were his support staff in the program.

When those guys left, Jones began to contemplate a transfer. He worked out with the team through the winter, but last week made a decision to play football elsewhere. I'm told the split was amicable on both sides. Expect Jones to transfer to a program within the Big Ten, SEC or ACC -- conferences that feature more traditional offenses and defenses, which play three linebackers instead of nickel or dime sets.

Jones was arguably OU's most talented backup linebacker behind starters Tom Wort and Corey Nelson, and was really blossoming during bowl practices. With Jones gone and since OU elected not to add a linebacker to this most recent class (assuming that Eric Striker stays at safety) linebacker will be a crucial position for the Sooners in the class of 2013.

cccasooner2
3/8/2012, 06:36 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/01_sooner_football_notebook.html

Also here on the official site.

SoonerDood
3/8/2012, 06:38 PM
We'll have to find some other LB to miss a tackle as the Tech QB runs for a TD on 4th-and-goal.

NorthernIowaSooner
3/8/2012, 07:11 PM
Jones had grown really tight with Brent Venables, Willie Martinez and GA Ryan Reynolds.

Where did Ryan Reynolds go?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/8/2012, 07:25 PM
I don't know the rules, but I don't know of anyone spending more than 1 year in a place GAing...Some schools limit that..It may be an NCAA thing..I am pretty sure they have to be enrolled students

OU_Sooners75
3/8/2012, 09:16 PM
nvm

OU_Sooners75
3/8/2012, 09:18 PM
I don't know the rules, but I don't know of anyone spending more than 1 year in a place GAing...Some schools limit that..It may be an NCAA thing..I am pretty sure they have to be enrolled students

Not positive myself, but I think the NCAA allows for 3 years as a GA. But most places allow for 2 years.

OU_Sooners75
3/8/2012, 09:20 PM

not the NCAA website, but it should suffice:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6531492_become-graduate-assistant-football-coach.html

Being a football Graduate Assistant, or GA, is a demanding position that demands long hours and involves everything from helping the coaches at practice and breaking down film to monitoring players' study (http://www.ehow.com/how_6531492_become-graduate-assistant-football-coach.html#) halls and handling equipment. And all this is done while juggling graduate-level coursework in school. In exchange for putting in up to 100 hours per week, GAs receive free tuition and, perhaps more importantly, an introduction to the world of college football coaching. Most graduate assistantships last two seasons, although the NCAA allows for three. Furthermore, the NCAA mandates that each team can only field two GA positions.

VA Sooner
3/8/2012, 11:36 PM
Hope our backups at LB are ready to play this fall. Could use another healthy one just in case for the dreaded middle LB spot which is turning out to be something of a Spinal Tap drummer issue.

Prodigal
3/9/2012, 12:51 AM
We'll have to find some other LB to miss a tackle as the Tech QB runs for a TD on 4th-and-goal.

One of the worst plays I have seen from a DE/LB.

Jason White's Third Knee
3/11/2012, 08:20 AM
I have always hated that name. Kellen.

StoopTroup
3/11/2012, 08:39 AM
Good luck to him wherever he decides to go....cough...Clemson....cough...

StoopTroup
3/11/2012, 08:52 AM
Bump

Jason White's Third Knee
3/11/2012, 09:07 AM
He's going to Mishigun.

SoonerinSouthlake
3/13/2012, 02:45 AM

acting?

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/1733/1328641841ryanreynoldsl.jpg

Boomer.....
3/13/2012, 07:33 AM
He's going to Mishigun.

I doubt he would go back to Michigan.

Jason White's Third Knee
3/13/2012, 09:43 AM
He's going to Mishigun.

I doubt he would go back to Michigan.

Sorry. I misread an article.

Kellen. Pfft.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/13/2012, 11:39 AM
Since he has been brought up, I heard Ryan Reynolds make take a swing at getting on a NFL team...Fully recovered and maybe wants to give it a chance

Boomer.....
3/13/2012, 11:53 AM
He's going to quit acting?

SoonerinSouthlake
3/13/2012, 07:29 PM
He's going to quit acting?

I would too after Green Lantern

8timechamps
3/13/2012, 09:27 PM
Since he has been brought up, I heard Ryan Reynolds make take a swing at getting on a NFL team...Fully recovered and maybe wants to give it a chance

He has the football mind, and the (once upon a time) talent. Hopefully he can put his injuries behind him and make a serious run at it.