PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a journalism degree?

Whet
3/7/2012, 07:09 PM
How about covering the Sooners?

http://blog.newsok.com/openmike/2012/03/06/help-wanted-were-hiring-a-new-ou-football-writer/

(http://blog.newsok.com/openmike/2012/03/06/help-wanted-were-hiring-a-new-ou-football-writer/)

The Oklahoman is hiring a strong storyteller and passionate journalist to cover University of Oklahoma football for our award-winning sports section and website, NewsOK.com. Our next OU football writer will engage readers across all platforms by:

(http://blog.newsok.com/openmike/2012/03/06/help-wanted-were-hiring-a-new-ou-football-writer/)
– Breaking news on the No. 1 reader-interest topic we cover;– Writing memorable features, enterprise, project and game stories;– Making our OU blog a must-read throughout the day, every day;– Building deep relationships with sources and readers using social media and old-fashioned tools like conversation;– Being as comfortable in front of a camera as behind one;– Contributing to and collaborating with a team of journalists to serve a readership captivated by sports and how we cover it.

If you’re committed to all this and helping us get better, please send a cover letter, writing samples and examples of your best digital work to:

cvsooner
3/7/2012, 08:20 PM
I do but I'd probably have to move back to Oklahoma. Not happenin'...

A Sooner in Texas
3/7/2012, 10:43 PM
Same here, but what a great job. Hope they're not losing Travis Haney; he's been doing an outstanding job.

Whet
3/7/2012, 11:20 PM
Travis is leaving for ESPiN

picasso
3/7/2012, 11:23 PM
Same here, but what a great job. Hope they're not losing Travis Haney; he's been doing an outstanding job.
He's soooo much better than the Poke writer Mizell. She's a propagandist.

sooner KB
3/7/2012, 11:33 PM
You guys should try nominating someone from this site, like jkm.

badger
3/7/2012, 11:51 PM
Travis is leaving for ESPiN

That's what happened to the last guy. I guess ESPN is really making a push to cover OU?

Mississippi Sooner
3/8/2012, 09:10 AM
And just think.
You get to work alongside that smokin' hot Jenni Carlson.
Yes.
I said it.
Smokin' hot.
Smokin'.

badger
3/8/2012, 10:14 AM
When people think of covering sports as a dream job, I don't think they realize everything it entails.

If you've never been in the press box at OU during a football game, this is what it is: A library. You can hear typing, an occasional phone call, and an announcement after each play who did what. Mostly silence. No cheering, no fan chatter, nothing. Typity type type. For the entire game. I think they get a free meal. And they get to sit in an area that resembles something that a rich donor sits in. But typity type type for three hours, then try to catch the elevator before they hold them for the offensive coaches upstairs or get taken over by all of the upper deck fans.

You get to talk to players and coaches. But when and where are you talking to the players and coaches? Norman, away game areas, after late night kickoff games end (that are on Saturdays, mind you), so you are also looking at a lot of time on the road, working nights and weekends.

Maybe you still think it can be a dream job. But after awhile, you are probably just going to see it as a job and wish you could return to the dream part of it: being a fan.

cvsooner
3/8/2012, 11:57 AM
I actually was a sportswriter some many moons ago.

Yes, there is free food. No alcohol. And late hours, especially on those night games. And you still have to do your job even after something like last December's game in Stillwater.

SteelClip49
3/8/2012, 12:05 PM
Not worth it. The Joklahoman is crap.

cvsooner
3/8/2012, 12:48 PM
And then there's that. It will only get worse since Anschutz took it over. Sad.

PalmBeachSooner
3/8/2012, 01:59 PM
I aint' got no hi-fallutin paper what says I can writ good but I'd for dang sure likes to git a chance at doin er. I betcha they pays good in all and maybe me and that there jenny karlson girl can commence to cortin and and then weez kin git hitched and mek some bebies. I think shees purdy.

picasso
3/8/2012, 03:01 PM
Not worth it. The Joklahoman is crap.
You must not read the Tulsa World.

picasso
3/8/2012, 03:02 PM
I aint' got no hi-fallutin paper what says I can writ good but I'd for dang sure likes to git a chance at doin er. I betcha they pays good in all and maybe me and that there jenny karlson girl can commence to cortin and and then weez kin git hitched and mek some bebies. I think shees purdy.
Why wait to git hitched? Make your move!

cvsooner
3/8/2012, 03:03 PM
You must not read the Tulsa World.

No, and their 15 articles a month or whatever it is policy is a huge deterrent.

StoopTroup
3/8/2012, 03:56 PM
Yeah, one look at Tramel tells you what this job will do for you plus look at how people go to War on msgs boards about the Sooners. Imagine having each and everyone of their attention every day of your life. That might be worse than being Eric Bassey....

StoopTroup
3/8/2012, 03:59 PM

They have a cure for leprosy. You don't have to sink to karlson level to find a Wife.

NormanPride
3/8/2012, 07:48 PM
TW > DOK

sooneredaco
3/8/2012, 08:58 PM
TW > DOK

I agree

OU_Sooners75
3/8/2012, 09:12 PM
TW > DOK

DMN>>>>>>TW>DOK

A Sooner in Texas
3/9/2012, 02:03 AM
When people think of covering sports as a dream job, I don't think they realize everything it entails.

If you've never been in the press box at OU during a football game, this is what it is: A library. You can hear typing, an occasional phone call, and an announcement after each play who did what. Mostly silence. No cheering, no fan chatter, nothing. Typity type type. For the entire game. I think they get a free meal. And they get to sit in an area that resembles something that a rich donor sits in. But typity type type for three hours, then try to catch the elevator before they hold them for the offensive coaches upstairs or get taken over by all of the upper deck fans.

You get to talk to players and coaches. But when and where are you talking to the players and coaches? Norman, away game areas, after late night kickoff games end (that are on Saturdays, mind you), so you are also looking at a lot of time on the road, working nights and weekends.

Maybe you still think it can be a dream job. But after awhile, you are probably just going to see it as a job and wish you could return to the dream part of it: being a fan.

Yeah, it sounds pretty awful, compared to my job working 50-60 hours a week trying to cover for people on furlough, write 3-4 stories a day and cover things like executions, which is what I did last night. Though that's surprisingly not as horrible as it could be, or I'm just really cynical. :nonchalance:

cccasooner2
3/9/2012, 02:25 PM
Yeah, it sounds pretty awful, compared to my job working 50-60 hours a week trying to cover for people on furlough, write 3-4 stories a day and cover things like executions, which is what I did last night. Though that's surprisingly not as horrible as it could be, or I'm just really cynical. :nonchalance:

Keith Thurmond? As the drugs began flowing, he said, "You can taste it."

3/9/2012, 05:16 PM
When people think of covering sports as a dream job, I don't think they realize everything it entails....

Dude, were you in the biz or something? I can't TELL you how true that last line is. I wasn't a writer, but my job did involve working with a college team closely for many years. It was a dream job at first. But by the end, I always dreaded football season. No more than two or three days off during the entire season. Ridiculous hours, so being salaried wasn't exactly a bonus.

Two years out of it now, and football is starting to be fun again. I'll never look at it the same, though. Much of the passion and magic of the sport is simply gone for me now.

SoonerNomad
3/9/2012, 06:56 PM
I also worked as a sports writer after college (my degree was in communications not journalism) back in the late 80's. The boring press box was the best part of the job. At least you were watching the game (except for the last five minutes while you were headed down to the field). It was fighting other people for interviews where nothing is really said, being talked down to by coaches and players ,and missing all of the other sports going on in the sports world while you tried to beat the deadline to write your story that I found unappealing. That combined with the ridiculously low pay for a college graduate pushed me to law school. I don't miss any games or any plays now and I don't miss being a sports writer.

I would have loved to be the person writing the back page column for Sports Illustrated, but that is one in a million job. I had the same experience with my brief television career. Probably because I was not talented enough, but bottom line is I was going broke trying to live "the dream."

3/10/2012, 07:49 AM
I wasn't going broke, but amen to the rest of it.

picasso
3/11/2012, 12:56 PM
Dude, were you in the biz or something? I can't TELL you how true that last line is. I wasn't a writer, but my job did involve working with a college team closely for many years. It was a dream job at first. But by the end, I always dreaded football season. No more than two or three days off during the entire season. Ridiculous hours, so being salaried wasn't exactly a bonus.

Two years out of it now, and football is starting to be fun again. I'll never look at it the same, though. Much of the passion and magic of the sport is simply gone for me now.
Do you still own a Collie?:playful:

A Sooner in Texas
3/11/2012, 01:07 PM
Keith Thurmond? As the drugs began flowing, he said, "You can taste it."

That's the one. Just before that, he said, "Let's get on with it." And before that, he swore his innocence. Great guy.

SoonerSpock
3/12/2012, 05:11 PM
That's what happened to the last guy. I guess ESPN is really making a push to cover OU?

ESPN has hired Trotter, Haney, Ubben all former OU beat writers, Brandon Chatmon (osu beat writer) and Bob Przybylo, high sports writer from The Oklahoman to work for ESPN Sooner nation.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/14/2012, 07:49 PM
Maybe the new person will know the difference between "pile on" and "pylon."

3/16/2012, 07:15 PM
Do you still own a Collie?:playful:

I was always more a mutt guy. That biatch (literally, and even in a clean way) would drop by the office on occasion. We always had premium dog treats ready for her in the break room.

Bathed weekly, if I remember correctly. Brushed daily... often several times. Honestly, an impressive looking dog. Purest of pedigree.

But I'll take a somewhat smelly mutt any day. Much less hair to pick up and their treats are cheaper.

picasso
3/16/2012, 07:18 PM
Yeah, those damned treats.

yankee
3/18/2012, 02:23 PM
Damn, I've thoroughly enjoyed Haney's writing the past 7 months or so. Doubt the DOK gets anyone near as good.

I Am Right
3/18/2012, 06:38 PM
yes I do, and the mall hours are great!