PDA

View Full Version : Crap!!! Torn ACL & he's not even here yet!

MO_Sooner
3/7/2012, 01:26 PM
http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/football/recruiting/story/_/id/7656408/oklahoma-sooners-signee-daniel-brooks-tears-acl

LVSOONER15
3/7/2012, 01:45 PM
That's a redshirt for sure. Let's hope hope for a good recovery.

oumartin
3/7/2012, 02:12 PM
Saban woulda yanked the scholly

badger
3/7/2012, 02:27 PM
Saban woulda yanked the scholly

Can you yank a scholly so soon after signing?

I know you're joking and all, but it's a serious question. How fast can a coach yank a scholarship?

Methinks even the almightly S-E-C! S-E-C! would have been stuck with him at least a year before medical hardshipping him off of their 85-man limit scholly rolls.

rainiersooner
3/7/2012, 02:32 PM
Tough break...hope for his sake he recovers quickly.

KantoSooner
3/7/2012, 03:08 PM
What do you do? You can't take the kids and put them into glass cases. Here's to a quick and total recovery.

badger
3/7/2012, 03:18 PM
What do you do? You can't take the kids and put them into glass cases. Here's to a quick and total recovery.

Yes, although I wish we could with some of them before they jump out of the back of pickup trucks, drink "Dr. Pepper and..." at NBA games or... well, we all know the off-field stories verse by verse by now :(

goingoneight
3/7/2012, 03:37 PM
I blame this on Jerry Schmidt and Kevin Wilson...
... and Chuck Long.

KantoSooner
3/7/2012, 03:58 PM
It was Venables, trust me.

OUTrumpet
3/7/2012, 04:26 PM
Can you yank a scholly so soon after signing?

I know you're joking and all, but it's a serious question. How fast can a coach yank a scholarship?

Methinks even the almightly S-E-C! S-E-C! would have been stuck with him at least a year before medical hardshipping him off of their 85-man limit scholly rolls.

You can yank the scholly at any time for any reason. It doesn't count against you for the year if it's done either before school starts or before the season starts.

Look back at Josh Jarboe. Stoops cut him during fall camp.

Rhett Bomar. Cut during fall camp.

badger
3/7/2012, 05:29 PM
You can yank the scholly at any time for any reason. It doesn't count against you for the year if it's done either before school starts or before the season starts.

Look back at Josh Jarboe. Stoops cut him during fall camp.

Rhett Bomar. Cut during fall camp.

Soooo... what, exactly, is the school offering them, and what is the student-athlete signing for, again?

:les: A full scholarship! [hairGel]

... That does not cover anything besides, room, board, books, tuition and meals.

... That is only good for one year unless the school renews it!

... That we can opt out of at any point, leaving you high and dry??!?!?!?!??!?!

8timechamps
3/7/2012, 06:06 PM
Hate to hear this. This kid was the fastest of all the WR/RB recruits we signed. I guess it only makes sense that he tore it during a track meet.

Hope everything goes well and he'll be back to full health for 2013.

swardboy
3/7/2012, 06:18 PM
The article sounds like the long jump WASN'T his event, he tried it on a lark, and bingo! First jump the knee locks up. Now what kind of track coach allows this?

cvsooner
3/7/2012, 06:48 PM
Funny thing is, the research in knee injuries indicates most knee injuries are caused by specializing in one sport and not cross-training. So, here, a kid does participate in another sport and... the results suck. Tho he did win the event, no less.

MyT Oklahoma
3/7/2012, 11:05 PM
Sorry to hear this and I hope he has a full recovery.

BoomerJ
3/8/2012, 12:26 AM
Funny thing is, the research in knee injuries indicates most knee injuries are caused by specializing in one sport and not cross-training. So, here, a kid does participate in another sport and... the results suck. Tho he did win the event, no less.

Yeah, that's amazing. Brooks competes in an area that is not his main area of expertise, tears his acl, and still wins. My guess is that he would redshirt anyway with our backfield. Hope he fully recovers and gets all that speed back.

StoopTroup
3/13/2012, 01:38 AM
Prayers and good wishes to his recovery.

PLaw
3/13/2012, 08:22 AM
I think in the SEC, this case would be a classic grey shirt.

Fortunately, in the integrity based OU program, the kid will get a red shirt which will keep him on a full ride for the first year.

As a grey shirt, he would have to pay his own way and not be eligible to partcipate in team activities. It's a tough row that is set up for failure.

Boomer