PDA

View Full Version : Monday poll: Worst new head football coach for 2012-13?

badger
3/5/2012, 10:08 AM
Check out the big list of hires again here. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7019959/football-bowl-subdivision-head-coaching-changes)

I want you to use whatever reasons are important to you - NCAA rule breaking, money, winning, recruiting, tradition, alma mater ties, reputation, etc., and tell me which was the absolute WORST hire in college football this season among the new D-1 head coaches.

Before anyone mentions Dana in this poll again, I would like to remind you that he coached the ENTIRE 2011-12 season and is thus NOT ELIGIBLE for this poll. I am talking about coaches that are NEW hires that are starting this season fresh with a NEW program (unless they were interim tagged or whatever).

New coach listed with program, old coach in parenthesis.

You have three days to vote anonymously for ONE. :)

Curly Bill
3/5/2012, 10:16 AM
Carlie Weis and Kansas. Dude couldn't get the job done at Domer, Kansas will be an even bigger FAIL.

jk the sooner fan
3/5/2012, 10:17 AM
nobody in their right mind would want to follow Joe Pa - especially in the shi* storm from last season

great school - horrible situation

Weiss at Kansas is kinda funny

badger
3/5/2012, 10:18 AM
I am torn between several really wtf moves.

Gus' wife video rant makes me wonder why any D-1 program would hire him.

Charlie Weis ran Notre Dame into program while fattening his wallet, so I am surprised that after fattening the wallet of Turner Gill they're already plunking major coinage down for another wallet to fatten at KU.

I don't think Carl Penini's temper is a good mix with head coaching... but it's FAU, so we'll see.

I chose Todd Graham because this guy is the biggest snake in college football currently when it comes to screwing with programs (rather than just screwing with scholarship offers/numbers like the SEC schools have lately). I couldn't believe the way that he left Pitt, except for the fact that it's about how he left Tulsa last season. Oh, you are going to offer me more money and a BCS conference program to handle? Saaaa-weet! No, I don't mind that we're already late into the recruiting period or that I wasn't the first choice. Let me hope on the first plane there... and I should probably shout "bye" to everyone here. BYE!!!!!!!

Screw Todd Graham and screw Arizona State for hiring him. Hope they go 0-12 cuz of it.

LVSOONER15
3/5/2012, 10:34 AM
I feel thay Weis will fail as well.

goingoneight
3/5/2012, 11:17 AM
Weiss. What people still see in that guy is baffling.

"Oh, look at his success at New England!"
Ummm... Tom Brady's done just fine without him.

"But... but... he recruited so well at Notre Dame!"
W's and L's say otherwise. And recruiting well at a power program is expected.

PalmettoSooner
3/5/2012, 12:08 PM
I'm torn between two....Weis and Davie. Both coaches had golden opportunites at ND and flushed it down the toliet. Weis is bad b/c 1) he couldn't get it done at ND. 2) Did anyone see him last season at UF...his health was so bad he had to call plays from sitting on the bench. Davie on the other hand...simlar to Weis...couldn't get it done at ND. He has been out of coaching since 2001. Him calling games on ESPN is just about more painful as watching him coach. I bet both of these guys combined won't win 5 games next year.

PalmBeachSooner
3/5/2012, 01:36 PM
I'm surprised Jim Mora hasn't gotten any love. Isn't he another Lane Kiffin, living off of his dad's reputation?

badger
3/5/2012, 01:44 PM
I would love for you guys to say why you're voting the way that you are, even if this poll is anonymous, because while most of you are Walrus Weis haters and are giving good reasons for it, I am curious about the other vote getters early-on.

Mississippi Sooner
3/5/2012, 01:51 PM
While Weis is probably the most overrated coach of the last decade, I voted for Rich Rod just because he is, in my opinion, the most overrated coach who is also a giant dooshrocket. I guess when he flames out at Arizona they'll have a nice place for him at New Mexico State.

soonergirlNeugene
3/5/2012, 03:23 PM
Lets not forget what a dooshrocket Weis was when he first descended from the heavens into college football. He talked a big game about how his team would have such a "schematic advantage" because he was such a genius at designing plays. His arrogance is only matched by his incompetence.

Peeb
3/5/2012, 08:55 PM
If Weis couldn't get it done with the talent+tradition of ND, how is gonna get it done in sunflower-land?

Scott D
3/5/2012, 09:13 PM
Why isn't Garrick McGee on the list? just curious :)

As for Weis, it's easier for him at Kansas than at ND, they aren't as delusional about football in Lawrence as they are in South Bend.

Why anyone would hire Todd Graham anymore is a big question mark. I'd be surprised if he stayed at Arizona St. more than 2 years.

badger
3/5/2012, 09:58 PM
Why isn't Garrick McGee on the list? just curious :)

I only put up ones that I thought people would vote for

8timechamps
3/5/2012, 10:08 PM
I went with Memphis/Just Fuente. I hope he does well, but Memphis is arguably the worst program in D1. On the upside, it can only get better.

sooneron
3/5/2012, 10:14 PM
I would love for you guys to say why you're voting the way that you are, even if this poll is anonymous, because while most of you are Walrus Weis haters and are giving good reasons for it, I am curious about the other vote getters early-on.

I voted for Terry Bowden, because he looks like a turtle.

StoopTroup
3/6/2012, 01:13 AM
Weiss was to easy. After seeing Gus Malzahn's Wife talk about the boys on the Team while Gus was at Auburn, I pick him and would love to see how Arkansas State and the Alumni and fans are treating Kristi as they take her around shopping at the hot spots in Jonesboro Arkansas. I bet she is having the time of her life. :D

http://www.imagecpr.com/imagecpr.com uploads/2011/12/Kristi1.jpg

StoopTroup
3/6/2012, 01:14 AM
SHUT UP!

agoo758
3/6/2012, 03:29 AM
Charlie Weiss by a mile....... I lie..... Bob Davie is pretty awful too.

agoo758
3/6/2012, 03:32 AM
I'm surprised Jim Mora hasn't gotten any love. Isn't he another Lane Kiffin, living off of his dad's reputation?

Agreed. All bark and no bite IMO.... Sort of like Zook.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/6/2012, 04:33 AM
Stoup, I am with you on shopping in Jonesboro. Not much there, but then it has been 30 years since I was last there...

I voted for "the turtle" Terry Bowden. Not sure how that pip squeak got the donor's daughter to bed, but the guy is a weasel and Akron is a tool for firing "coach whistle" who seemd to do well there.

Bob Davie was a close second, wonder if that drunk mofo will screw up New Mexico???

ouflak
3/6/2012, 07:03 AM
I don't know about Terry Bowden. The guy was basically run out of town at Auburn because he wouldn't go along with the rampant cheating. That says something about his character. He was booted in the middle of a lousy '98 season, but he otherwise always had 8+ win seasons including one undefeated season. And I was always suspicious that he was sabotaged that '98 season because of his stance (somewhat public stance ... which may have led to downfall) against SEC style 'recruiting'. I have a feeling he can do some real good at Akron. His overall record is 139–63–2. In 17 1/2 years of coaching he's only had 3 losing seasons. He's been to 5 playoffs (4-4) and 3 bowls (2-1).

He does look like a turtle though. Maybe Maryland should have hired him instead. Then he could have doubled as mascot, which would be kind of cool.

ouflak
3/6/2012, 07:11 AM
I'm wary of voting against the former Notre Dame coaches because I've always felt that place was a coaching tarpit. Still Weiss does seem a rather obvious choice.

badger
3/6/2012, 09:12 AM
Can Weis recruit, even if he's not at Domer but at a KU-type school?

Can Weis coach, even if he doesn't have a quarterback with the name "Brady" somewhere in it?

MORE IMPORTANTLY:

Can anyone be worse than Turner Gill, who actually praised his team in postgame for "beating" OSU in the second half, by virtue of outscoring OSU's bench players because Gundy sat the starters when they were ahead by like 50 at halftime?

StoopTroup
3/6/2012, 10:36 AM
Charlie Weiss by a mile....... I lie..... Bob Davie is pretty awful too.

SHUT UP !

0http://www.imagecpr.com/imagecpr.com uploads/2011/12/Kristi1.jpg

LOL :D ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
3/6/2012, 10:37 AM
I don't know about Terry Bowden. The guy was basically run out of town at Auburn because he wouldn't go along with the rampant cheating. That says something about his character. He was booted in the middle of a lousy '98 season, but he otherwise always had 8+ win seasons including one undefeated season. And I was always suspicious that he was sabotaged that '98 season because of his stance (somewhat public stance ... which may have led to downfall) against SEC style 'recruiting'. I have a feeling he can do some real good at Akron. His overall record is 139–63–2. In 17 1/2 years of coaching he's only had 3 losing seasons. He's been to 5 playoffs (4-4) and 3 bowls (2-1).

He does look like a turtle though. Maybe Maryland should have hired him instead. Then he could have doubled as mascot, which would be kind of cool.

He was run out because he was porking a donor's daughter who happened to work in his office. At least so i'm told by Aubies.

85sooners
3/6/2012, 10:46 AM
Carl pelini

agoo758
3/6/2012, 11:39 AM
Ugh, that hobag, has a way of spoiling my morning! :mad:

Bourbon St Sooner
3/6/2012, 12:55 PM
I said Terry Bowden. I mean talk about digging old trash out of the bottom of the garbage bin. But, then again, it's Toledo so who gives a ****.

The thing about Charlie Weiss is nobody has won at domer in 20 years so is it the coaching or the toxic soil there?

badger
3/6/2012, 01:17 PM
The thing about Charlie Weiss is nobody has won at domer in 20 years so is it the coaching or the toxic soil there?

Won what?

If it's about winning national titles and nothing else, the 2000 season is getting farther and farther away, friend. National titles are very hard to come by in college football. Sure, a few SEC programs can crow now, but we have seen how fast mini-dynasties crumble and then, usually crash and burn in NCAA purgatory (see USC, Miami, etc).

They win enough to make BCS bowls, they win enough to be ranked some seasons, they win enough that they'd probably be conference champs if they ever chose to join a conference.

PS: I don't like Domer, I just think that by virtue of not winning a national title for awhile does not necessarily make your program irrelevant.

agoo758
3/6/2012, 10:14 PM
PS: I don't like Domer, I just think that by virtue of not winning a national title for awhile does not necessarily make your program irrelevant.

Without those 4 or 5 good years under Holtz, we're talking about a program that hasn't been elite in more than 60 years.

LASooner
3/6/2012, 10:29 PM
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs36/f/2008/245/0/e/Music_notes_by_KibasGirlyGirl.gifMr. Chow... that's his name, that name again is Mr. Chow http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs36/f/2008/245/0/e/Music_notes_by_KibasGirlyGirl.gif

ouflak
3/8/2012, 07:47 AM
He was run out because he was porking a donor's daughter who happened to work in his office. At least so i'm told by Aubies.

Well whatever the reason, Terry Bowden has found success at every program he's been at. That's hard to ignore. If history holds, Akron is going to find itself on the college football map for atleast a few years.

papawlambert
3/9/2012, 07:28 PM
Weis and Grahamm. I could be making millions and do nothing!