PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Big 12 Tourney

Sooner95
3/4/2012, 12:01 AM
Pairings are out..

Bracket (http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410/championships/pdfs/2012_mbasketball_bracket.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=10410)

Eielson
3/4/2012, 08:58 AM
Great. If we want to get in, we have to beat A&M, Kansas, Baylor, and Missouri. In that order. As if there was ever a chance.

badger
3/4/2012, 10:11 AM
Wait a sec... I thought that the highest seed always played the lowest seed.

Thus, if Poke loses to Tech (hey, it happened to us), Tech, as the 10 seed, would face KU, correct?

And then, we'd have Mizzou instead, who we SHOULD HAVE BEAT AT HOME :mad:

I am not saying it'll happen, I am saying that there is a remote possibility of not waving the white flag just yet :D

Sooner95
3/4/2012, 12:51 PM
No, seeds go the classic way. 8/9 vs 1 7/10 vs 2

picasso
3/4/2012, 06:01 PM
Missouri has to be completely stupid for giving up the fan support they get at this tourney to head south to Bubbaville.
Next season they're going to look around and wonder where the hell their fans went.

8timechamps
3/4/2012, 06:29 PM

Thus, if Poke loses to Tech (hey, it happened to us), Tech, as the 10 seed, would face KU, correct?

I am not saying it'll happen, I am saying that there is a remote possibility of not waving the white flag just yet :D

Yeah, I don't get this either.

8timechamps
3/4/2012, 06:31 PM
Also, I don't care how close KU/KSU are to KC, or that it's tradition, the conference championship shouldn't be in Missouri in the future.

Sooner95
3/4/2012, 07:03 PM
Big12 HQ still resides in KC yes? If so, then that won't change.

Of course they should move it around year to year though. OKC would be a good host.

SoonerInFortSmith
3/5/2012, 09:04 AM

Tournament brackets are set up so that the best seed will play the worst guaranteed seed. That's why the 1 plays the winner of 8/9 and the 2 plays the 7/10. They are going with the odds that the favored team will win most of the time.

As far as just having the 1 team play the lowest remaining seed after the first round is played, can you imagine the logistics of all that? Sometimes the first round games might end at 11 PM or later, then the games for the next day would have to be set and communicated to all the proper outlets. There's too much of a chance for miscommunication and the results would be catastrophic for whatever person made the mistake. Not to mention how much ESPN would hate not knowing who/when teams are playing until such a late time. And we all know if ESPN ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. :bull_head:

Sooner24
3/5/2012, 04:21 PM
Big12 HQ still resides in KC yes? If so, then that won't change.

Of course they should move it around year to year though. OKC would be a good host.

Big 12 HQ hasn't been in KC in years. NCAA moved to Indianapolis and Big 12 moved to Dallas. NAIA is headquarter in KC but that's all that's left. I remember going to the Big 8 tournament back mid 80's to mid 90's when KC was the center of the college basketball universe.

Sooner24
3/5/2012, 04:27 PM
The first Big 8 tournament I went to was the 1984 season. The top 4 teams hosted the bottom 4 teams and the winners advanced to KC. There were only 3 games played. The next year all 8 teams played in KC and Kemper arena was rocking. Good times.

CowboyMRW
3/5/2012, 06:29 PM
Also, I don't care how close KU/KSU are to KC, or that it's tradition, the conference championship shouldn't be in Missouri in the future.

OKC hosted my sophomore year at OSU. Was fun going to the tournament and sitting around all day doing nothing but watching basketball.

CowboyMRW
3/5/2012, 06:31 PM

OKC hosted my sophomore year at OSU. Was fun going to the tournament and sitting around all day doing nothing but watching basketball.

8timechamps
3/5/2012, 06:56 PM

It should move around so that every school gets some home love. I know the Big XII has a contract to keep the tourney in KC for the next few years, but now that there is no Missouri school, it would be nice to see it relocated.

CowboyMRW
3/5/2012, 07:45 PM
Yea, I wouldn't mind it rotating between OKC and Dallas every year or 2 years.