PDA

View Full Version : Hey buddy, ya wanna play football?

Jacie
3/3/2012, 05:12 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-coloradostate-mcelwainstryouts

CSU coach on lookout for linemen

FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP)—Colorado State football coach Jim McElwain is scouring the campus for potential linemen.

With the Rams banged up heading into spring practice, the first-year coach has invited interested members of the student body to drop by Monday for a visit.

Specific height? Doesn’t matter. Particular weight? He’s not picky.

The only requirement McElwain has is tenacity. Oh, and a valid student ID.

Ideally, McElwain hopes to find at least four players to pitch in as he inherits a program that’s endured three straight 3-9 seasons.

Before joining CSU, McElwain ran Alabama’s offense and helped the Crimson Tide to a national title in January.

He said on signing day his first task was bulking up the Rams’ size, joking, “When I met our team, I was wondering where the linemen were.”

cccasooner2
3/3/2012, 06:00 PM
Un-named sources say that a guy named Mongo Smith is reporting Monday. Unofficially hand timed by another un-named source at 4.97 40 yds, 6.11 cone, 138 lbs AND a student ID.

StoopTroup
3/3/2012, 06:26 PM
Mongo was probably Stoned. "Dude? You wanna play some football later?"

Mongo: sure Dude.

McElwain: sweet! Set down your bong and come with me...

sooneredaco
3/3/2012, 07:42 PM
I didn't know they played football in Ft. Collins. I thought it was all Fat Tire beer and Colorado Hydro

8timechamps
3/3/2012, 08:20 PM
McElwain is learning pretty quickly that Ft. Collins is not Tuscaloosa. Would love to see him do well at CSU, but chances are he will not.

If only I were 25 years younger, and a student at CSU!

85sooners
3/4/2012, 08:09 AM
Hahaha

stoopified
3/4/2012, 08:28 AM
McElwain is learning pretty quickly that Ft. Collins is not Tuscaloosa. Would love to see him do well at CSU, but chances are he will not.

If only I were 25 years younger, and a student at CSU!I need to drop 30 years,add 75 pounds and grow 6 inches taller. I'm guessing it is unlikely I am going to be a CSU Ram.

Eielson
3/4/2012, 08:54 AM
OU has tons of athletes on campus that could walk-on, and a handful that could probably even play eventually. I'm assuming CSU is similar. The only difference is that apparently CSU is actively pursuing these guys rather than just hoping they show up for tryouts. I guarantee they'll find some solid players.

sooneredaco
3/4/2012, 11:15 AM
OU has tons of athletes on campus that could walk-on, and a handful that could probably even play eventually. I'm assuming CSU is similar. The only difference is that apparently CSU is actively pursuing these guys rather than just hoping they show up for tryouts. I guarantee they'll find some solid players.

You guarantee it huh... Have you ever been to Ft. Collins?

StoopTroup
3/4/2012, 11:54 AM
You guarantee it huh... Have you ever been to Ft. Collins? Or really....anywhere in Colorado.

sooneredaco
3/4/2012, 01:38 PM
Or really....anywhere in Colorado.[/QUOTE]

So true

rock on sooner
3/4/2012, 04:44 PM

Yup! Met and married my wife (CSU alum) there and both my kids were born there. Terrific little
college town then but it's changed a lot since. Don't forget about Blue Moon beer! Doubt there
will be much success finding Division I players just walking around campus, though. I'm guessing
that McElwain will have some success in time, given that CU is sliding down. The Rams can only
go up...

sooneredaco
3/4/2012, 05:40 PM
Yup! Met and married my wife (CSU alum) there and both my kids were born there. Terrific little
college town then but it's changed a lot since. Don't forget about Blue Moon beer! Doubt there
will be much success finding Division I players just walking around campus, though. I'm guessing
that McElwain will have some success in time, given that CU is sliding down. The Rams can only
go up...[/QUOTE]

Yea I love that town. Great beer, cool people. Sports (outside of snowboarding and skiing) don't really seem to be a really high priority there though. I love to visit whenever I get the chance.

8timechamps
3/4/2012, 06:26 PM

I live in Colorado (about 5 minutes from Boulder), and I'll be the first to say that the state is NOT filled with highly gifted football prospects. The best players in the state, on an annual basis, go to programs out-of-state.

I doubt there are any future starters (or even contributors) on campus in Ft. Collins.

However, if a coach is looking to fill up his rock climbing, kayaking or ski teams...we can fulfill that request!

vtsooner21
3/5/2012, 07:20 AM
Played my Freshman year at Fort Collins..Was a great school, but obviously not a football powerhouse. Ended up going back east and playing Div. III Baseball.. Sooners will always be #1, though
Boomer

goingoneight
3/5/2012, 09:48 AM
Great athletes can be found anywhere. So, the smartassery about Fort Collins is really unnecessary. However, finding enough to make CSU relevant by September is as big a stretch as I've ever heard.
That... and CSU won't be able to bowl over opponents the way Bama did offensively. Bama did that with NFL-caliber linemen and backfields.