PDA

View Full Version : Romney tells truth: Spending cuts slow economic growth

ictsooner7
3/3/2012, 08:08 AM
How does this play with his cutting spending grows the economy base? It pisses me off the media calls it a slip when it was not, he just told the truth.

Romney: Spending cuts slow economic growth

Mitt Romney said Tuesday that cutting spending slows growth in the economy -- a rhetorical slip more akin to an argument a Democrat might make than a Republican.

Speaking in Shelby Township, MI, the former Massachusetts governor took a question about the Simpson-Bowles fiscal commission empaneled by President Obama to address the nation's deficit and debt issues. In his response, he said that addressing taxes and spending issues are essential.

"If you just cut, if all you're thinking about doing is cutting spending, as you cut spending you'll slow down the economy," he said in part of his response. "So you have to, at the same time, create pro-growth tax policies."

That sort of comment was sure to raise the eyebrows of fiscal conservatives in the GOP, who have long preached a message of fiscal restraint as a path to economic growth.

"It's hogwash. It confirms yet again that Romney is not a limited government conservative," said Andy Roth, the vice president for government affairs at the fiscally conservative Club for Growth. "The idea that balancing the budget would not help the economy is crazy. If we balanced the budget tomorrow on spending cuts alone, it would be fantastic for the economy."

Romney is set to unveil a new, more detailed economic plan later this week, especially as he works to shore up primary victories in Arizona and his native Michigan.

But he's offered an insight into his thinking by endorsing a previous fiscal plan (the Cut, Cap and Balance plan, which calls for cuts to spending, a cap on the growth of government spending, and a balanced budget amendment) that doesn't necessarily rely on accompanying tax reforms.

The Obama administration has been particularly clear about its view that cutting spending would strangle off any hope of an economic recovery. Jack Lew, the new White House chief of staff made that point in a Feb. 12 appearance on "Meet the Press."

"I think that there's pretty broad agreement that the time for austerity is not today," Lew said. "We need to be on a path where over the next several years we bring our deficit under control. Right now we have a recovery that's taking root and if we were to put in austerity measures right now, it would take the economy in the wrong way."

Romney's comment, if nothing else, would represent a rhetorical departure from the rest of the Republican Party, which has done battle with the Obama administration over the past year about the best course for economic growth.

"We’re listening to the people who sent us here to cut spending so we can grow our economy," House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) said just less than a year ago, at the height of a fight between Obama and congressional Republicans over funding the government.

pphilfran
3/3/2012, 10:52 AM
There is no doubt when the economy is in the tank that fed spending will help keep the economy moving...

When the economy is borderline, like now, cutting spending could put GDP growth back to lower levels...

When the economy is doing fine no spending is needed...

I wouldn't be doing a hell of a lot of cutting at the current time...I wouldn't be raising taxes either due to the same effect as cutting fed spending in a slow growth economy...

If we do not get the economy growing at 5% we will continue to see yearly deficits and high debt growth...everything else should be secondary. including the deficity, to getting the economy up to 5%+ growth for an extended period of time...

AlboSooner
3/3/2012, 12:56 PM
Romney is the John Kerry of GOP. The only difference is Willard didn't marry into money.

ictsooner7
3/3/2012, 01:16 PM
Romney is the John Kerry of GOP. The only difference is Willard didn't marry into money.

No there are HUGE differences in Romney and Kerry, Kerry is an American war hero who went to Vietnam and was wounded several times receiving bronze and silver stars for bravery, Willard on the other hand spent his time in France in a castle with a maid and butler then went to Stanford and protested FOR the war while not actually want to participate. Willard was born into his wealth and Kerry married into it AFTER he was a United States Senator.

ictsooner7
3/3/2012, 01:29 PM
And yet both Romney and Kerry are more qualified than the current pos.......I mean potus.

No they are not, if Kerry was how come you didn't vote for him, because bush was the least qualified Pres in our history.

REDREX
3/3/2012, 01:35 PM
He's back and as clueless as ever

AlboSooner
3/3/2012, 01:53 PM
No they are not, if Kerry was how come you didn't vote for him, because bush was the least qualified Pres in our history.

When presented with the choice between a guy who has done the job for four years and the one who has never done it, the one with the four-year experience is the more qualified.

Bush was less qualified than Al Gore.
Bush was more qualified than Kerry.
Obama is more qualified than Romney.

Qualification should not play a role in any election, or else every president should be a two-term president.

Chuck Bao
3/3/2012, 03:56 PM
Shesh, this argument is so droll coming from both sides of the aisle. Please, raise taxes and cut spending when the economy is good and do the reverse (deficit spending) when the economy is bad. Instead, we bounce along with an economy driven by sporadic bouts of greed and fear political mongering. The problems will never be fixed unless Republicans agree to raise taxes and Democrats agree to cut spending during the good times. Yeah, like that will ever happen.

rock on sooner
3/3/2012, 04:02 PM
Shesh, this argument is so droll coming from both sides of the aisle. Please, raise taxes and cut spending when the economy is good and do the reverse (deficit spending) when the economy is bad. Instead, we bounce along with an economy driven by sporadic bouts of greed and fear political mongering. The problems will never be fixed unless Republicans agree to raise taxes and Democrats agree to cut spending during the good times. Yeah, like that will ever happen.

Hey, throw your hat in the ring...don't care which party you are...first sensible argument in a long time!

OU_Sooners75
3/3/2012, 04:44 PM
No there are HUGE differences in Romney and Kerry, Kerry is an American war hero who went to Vietnam and was wounded several times receiving bronze and silver stars for bravery, Willard on the other hand spent his time in France in a castle with a maid and butler then went to Stanford and protested FOR the war while not actually want to participate. Willard was born into his wealth and Kerry married into it AFTER he was a United States Senator.

And yet he was still the Jane Fonda of men!

ictsooner7
3/3/2012, 05:23 PM
And yet he was still the Jane Fonda of men!

John Kerry was awarded a Silver Star a Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts. He came back from VIETNAM and was against the war. When you go fight in a war you have earned the right to protest against it.

On the other hand, Bush, Rove, Limbaugh, Cheney, Gingrich, and now Romney did not bother to go to a war they SUPPORTED! Where I come from, the small town family values I was taught by my small town raised parents, a person who wants a fight but does not personally participate in it is called a COWARD!

We on the left would prefer that you on the right just say Thank you for your service to our country Mr. Kerry and sorry about the lies my party told about your service.

rock on sooner
3/3/2012, 06:34 PM
John Kerry was awarded a Silver Star a Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts. He came back from VIETNAM and was against the war. When you go fight in a war you have earned the right to protest against it.

On the other hand, Bush, Rove, Limbaugh, Cheney, Gingrich, and now Romney did not bother to go to a war they SUPPORTED! Where I come from, the small town family values I was taught by my small town raised parents, a person who wants a fight but does not personally participate in it is called a COWARD!

We on the left would prefer that you on the right just say Thank you for your service to our country Mr. Kerry and sorry about the lies my party told about your service.

Well, actually the Texas millionaire that funded the Swift Boaters should visit the area behind the woodshed and get
into a circle with Kerry campaign advisors, be blind folded, handed bo staffs and let loose, with the command "Swing
at will!"

rock on sooner
3/3/2012, 06:45 PM
Well, actually the Texas millionaire that funded the Swift Boaters should visit the area behind the woodshed and get
into a circle with Kerry campaign advisors, be blind folded, handed bo staffs and let loose, with the command "Swing
at will!"

One more point, the knuckleheads you mentioned should all be invited to a Cheney hunting party.

On a personal note, I served from 63-67, the last 15 months of which was in Peshawar Air Station, West Pakistan,
that lovely, fragrant city that supports Al Qaeda and the Taliban and, from the news pictures, hasn't changed
one iota in 45 years. Know what, never will, either. Genuinely believe that we've done as much as we
can and should bring our treasure home. Don't give a **** about the spin that the Pubs put on it, which
they will, just like getting out of Iraq, Dubya's fun and games...left too soon, didn't help enough, job not
finished. Those people only want our money, they take it one hand and cut your throat with the other,
Karzai is as corrupt as his brother...Warlords run the area. always have, always will. Enough already, come
on home, please! There, I feel a LOT better!:bull_head:

LiveLaughLove
3/3/2012, 06:55 PM

Welcome back ict. I missed your pearls of wisdom such as this. A real beauty. I guess if you say it, it must be true. We all know you wouldn't exaggerate or anything.

Bush was governor of one of the largest states in the union, that makes him easily more qualified than the current POTUS (who had never had executive experience, and it shows), and that's just one. He was more qualified than Clinton and Carter also, who were governors of much smaller states.

I don't think you know the first thing about small town values, unless it's some small town on Long Island. Every county in Oklahoma votes red.

rock on sooner
3/3/2012, 07:16 PM
Welcome back ict. I missed your pearls of wisdom such as this. A real beauty. I guess if you say it, it must be true. We all know you wouldn't exaggerate or anything.

Bush was governor of one of the largest states in the union, that makes him easily more qualified than the current POTUS (who had never had executive experience, and it shows), and that's just one. He was more qualified than Clinton and Carter also, who were governors of much smaller states.

I don't think you know the first thing about small town values, unless it's some small town on Long Island. Every county in Oklahoma votes red.

Last sentence, small town? Okay, went to school in a two room school til the 8th grade then went to Healdton High (Sherry
Coale's alma mater...a frickin' oil patch town if ever there was one! 33 seniors in my graduating class. Truly sadness that
every county is red but understandable.

And, as to Bush, IMHO he couldn't pour urine out of a boot with directions on the heel...entirely too much Rove, Cheney,
Rumsfeld, et al...just one man's opinion.

rock on sooner
3/3/2012, 07:17 PM

Last sentence, small town? Okay, went to school in a two room school til the 8th grade then went to Healdton High (Sherry
Coale's alma mater...a frickin' oil patch town if ever there was one! 33 seniors in my graduating class. Truly sadness that

And, as to Bush, IMHO he couldn't pour urine out of a boot with directions on the heel...entirely too much Rove, Cheney,

rock on sooner
3/3/2012, 07:20 PM
Double post...sorry!

Turd_Ferguson
3/3/2012, 07:26 PM
And, as to Bush, IMHO he couldn't pour urine out of a boot with directions on the heel...Yet he can pilot an F-102...go tit.

LiveLaughLove
3/3/2012, 07:27 PM

Yep, a wrong one, but it is all yours.

Bush had a higher GPA at the same school as Kerry, who is considered some genius in liberal realms. But don't let facts get in your way. I'm sure his Dad just bought his grades where Kerry worked hard for his.

Of course, Reagan was a dolt too, right? It was Weinberger, Haig, Baker et al really pushing the buttons.

ictsooner7
3/4/2012, 12:32 PM

How incredibly condescending of you to say i don't know anything about small town values, my parents were born and raised in small towns in central and western OKLAHOMA. How dare you question my values that from them, shame on you. You arrogance to say small towns on Long Island has different values that you do and yours are superior is nauseating. I got my values from my parents, small town values of telling the truth, being honest, learning from your mistakes, owning up to your mistakes and not doubling down on ignorance and stupidity. Remember what Colin Powell said, I was born and raised in Brooklyn,NY and there is nothing wrong with my values. Be careful of who you try to claim having superior values over.

Tell me exactly how being the governor of a state that has never sent troops to war or fields a military or does not have national security or foreign policy is more qualified than a United States Senator who has a hand in these all the time. Did Bush ever have to consider national security as the governor? NO that is a federal responsibility. Try to get a clue how our country really works, and don't bring up the national guard.

For giggles lets say that being the governor of Texas is the height of being qualified for the Presidency, how did Bush work out for us again?

Tulsa_Fireman
3/4/2012, 01:48 PM
Tell me exactly how being the governor of a state that has never sent troops to war or fields a military or does not have national security or foreign policy is more qualified than a United States Senator who has a hand in these all the time. Did Bush ever have to consider national security as the governor? NO that is a federal responsibility. Try to get a clue how our country really works, and don't bring up the national guard.

The land south of the mighty Rio Grande disagrees with you.

LiveLaughLove
3/4/2012, 02:42 PM
How incredibly condescending of you to say i don't know anything about small town values, my parents were born and raised in small towns in central and western OKLAHOMA. How dare you question my values that from them, shame on you. You arrogance to say small towns on Long Island has different values that you do and yours are superior is nauseating. I got my values from my parents, small town values of telling the truth, being honest, learning from your mistakes, owning up to your mistakes and not doubling down on ignorance and stupidity. Remember what Colin Powell said, I was born and raised in Brooklyn,NY and there is nothing wrong with my values. Be careful of who you try to claim having superior values over.

For giggles lets say that being the governor of Texas is the height of being qualified for the Presidency, how did Bush work out for us again?

Try reading ict. I didn't say Oklahoma small town values were superior to Long Island (I was referring to NYC, I think you missed that) values. I said your values (meaning your liberalism) aren't small town Oklahoma values, and they aren't. The vast vast majority of small Oklahoma town values are conservative values. Note: I have yet to say superior values. I consider them the better value set (now I have), you obviously don't.

You said Bush was the "least qualified" President in history. I proved that to be your usual hyperbole, and so you are trying to move the bar. If he never had to deal with national security at Texas, then for sure Carter and Clinton didn't. So he is still more qualified than them. Two years in the Senate voting present, in my mind, doesn't make this clown we have now more qualified either (my opinion).

As for how Bush did, well I despise the pharm plan he shoved down us, and no child left behind, and his other big government ideas, but I am very thankful we had a real man in the WH when 9/11 happened. All in all, he was far superior to BHO, and I can't wait for BHO to be just a bad memory like Carter.

ictsooner7
3/4/2012, 03:38 PM
Try reading ict. I didn't say Oklahoma small town values were superior to Long Island (I was referring to NYC, I think you missed that) values. I said your values (meaning your liberalism) aren't small town Oklahoma values, and they aren't. The vast vast majority of small Oklahoma town values are conservative values. Note: I have yet to say superior values. I consider them the better value set (now I have), you obviously don't.

You said Bush was the "least qualified" President in history. I proved that to be your usual hyperbole, and so you are trying to move the bar. If he never had to deal with national security at Texas, then for sure Carter and Clinton didn't. So he is still more qualified than them. Two years in the Senate voting present, in my mind, doesn't make this clown we have now more qualified either (my opinion).

As for how Bush did, well I despise the pharm plan he shoved down us, and no child left behind, and his other big government ideas, but I am very thankful we had a real man in the WH when 9/11 happened. All in all, he was far superior to BHO, and I can't wait for BHO to be just a bad memory like Carter.

First off I did read it and your said LONG ISLAND not NYC. Say what you mean, mean what you say. Second, I was raised with small town family values, you cannot decide who has those values and who does not. I got my values from my parents, leave people alone, mind your own business, god created people equally, to those who god gives a lot to, a lot is expected, judge not and ye shall not be judged and you are very fortunate to be raised in this country, in a middle class household that gives you the ability to move up a notch in the socioeconomic. So tell me about MY small town family values are inferior?

Bush was a real man? HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA are you in high school? He is a COWARD, supported the war from the safety the texas air national guard! Bush's performance was 10 times worse than carters. 4.4% to 7.7% unemployement, from 4.5% gpd growth to -3.5, the defict going from $4.5 Trillion to $10 trillion and two million jobs LOST on his watch and you voted for him TWICE.

Ask bin Laden who the real man is!

soonercoop1
3/5/2012, 06:15 PM

Kerry is the male Hanoi Jane...