PDA

View Full Version : Men's Hoops: Are we where you thought we'd be?

8timechamps
3/1/2012, 08:47 PM
I think the OOC results led me to believe the entire year was going to be a surprising success. In the end, I think we're about where I thought we'd be.

However, I think we're heading in the right direction. I'm a sunshine pumper though, but I do think Lon has done an acceptable job, given what he had to work with.

Sooner95
3/1/2012, 09:23 PM
I agree. We beat teams we should have beaten early. We did really well in the 76er tourney but could not make that momentum stick once conf play begun. I to like the direction we are going but we need better talent and more consistent play.

OU_Sooners75
3/1/2012, 09:28 PM
We beat a bunch of cupcakes in the OOC.

I thought we had a shot at more wins, but I am not disappointed. At least we improved this year.

Next year, we should be at least an 18-19 win team!

Boomer.....
3/2/2012, 10:41 AM
After the great start, I figured we would have been challenging for the NCAA Tournament and a lock for the NIT. We have been very close in most games, but just don't have what it takes to close them out. Hopefully next year, with a more experienced team and some new players, we can get there.

badger
3/2/2012, 10:44 AM
I had very low expectations going into the season and now I'm back there. If we win, awesome. If we don't, ah well. I don't have the anger and bitterness regarding the coach that I did last season, so I guess that's an improvement :)

When we looked solid against non-conf competition, my expectations were raised a little. But, we started losing a lot, so now I really don't know. I really think the program is headed in the right direction, even if we aren't headed for any postseason tournament except the Big 12's.

Boomer.....
3/2/2012, 12:15 PM
Some stats reported on OU Hoops:

* OU led at halftime and ended up losing in five games this season.

* OU was either ahead, tied or within fivepointsathalftimein 11of the15losses.

* They were either ahead, tied or were within 10 points at halftime in 13 of the 15 losses.

Here's the breakdown of the 15 losses:

5: Halftimeleads blown — at Cincy, Kansas, Texas, at Baylor, at Texas.

1: Tied at halftime — at A&M 35-35.

5: Trailed by fivepointsor lessathalftime— atTexasTech 25-22, Missouri 36-33, at Iowa State 38-36, at Kansas 34-31 and Baylor 35-30.

2: Trailed by 6-10 points — Saint Louis 39-30, at Iowa State 37-28.

2: Trailed by more than 10 points — at Missouri 43-25, at Oklahoma State 35-22.

Some other second half stuff:

* OU was outscored by double digits in the second half in seven of their 15 losses.

* OU failed to score 30 points in the second half in six of the 15 losses.

* In the five games in which they led at halftime and lost, they were outscored by double digits in the second half in four of those games.

* Overall, they were outscored in the second half in 11 of the 15 losses.

OU_Sooners75
3/2/2012, 06:25 PM
Though we lost a lot of games this year in conference play....we had a lot of competitive games where if OU had Newell or someone other than Blair, we may have won.

I know it is only moral victories, but this team did not lay down for anyone. They fought and they scratched. They came up short. But I was very proud of them this year.

It was disappointing to watch. But the players didn't really disappointment (maybe Blair did). But then again, for as long as I can actually remember, OU has been a very good team in basketball and Capel shows up and chops it all to hell!

Eielson
3/3/2012, 01:28 AM
We're not where we should be. I wouldn't trade places with many other Big XII programs moving forward, though. One of the absolutes is Kansas, and the other is, oddly enough, Baylor. Then there are a couple of maybes and a handful of absolutely nots.

stoopified
3/3/2012, 10:56 PM
After the great start, I figured we would have been challenging for the NCAA Tournament and a lock for the NIT. We have been very close in most games, but just don't have what it takes to close them out. Hopefully next year, with a more experienced team and some new players, we can get there.

I had us pegged for a 17-13 season going in. Sadly if we had just been able to keep Newell on board that mark would(IMHO) have been easily achieved. Figure he averages 10ppg for the year(he was at 13ppg when he quit),that by itself gives us 5 more wins and a tie(which would have sent us into ot).Even if you assume we only pick up 3 of those 6 games that still puts at 18-12and solidly in the NIT.

picasso
3/3/2012, 11:36 PM
We need much much better guard play, and with Kruger being a former guard I like where we're headed. You can just tell in the interviews our players give how well they're taught.

birddog
3/5/2012, 08:53 PM
Lon's perfect for this program at this point. Let's not forget the staff that works their tails off. I'm proud of this team for their attitude towards improving

birddog
3/5/2012, 08:54 PM
Forgot. I thought we'd win 15 games

8timechamps
3/5/2012, 10:14 PM
Lon's perfect for this program at this point. Let's not forget the staff that works their tails off. I'm proud of this team for their attitude towards improving

I agree. Hopefully, Lin will continue to build the program and about the time he's ready to retire, we'll be in a position to attract a great coach.

allanace16
3/6/2012, 02:30 AM
I admit that the hot start got my hopes up, but I don't think I ever realistically upped my expectations for this season. I somewhat expected a bad year just with the transition in staff and everything. This team record-wise hit about the ceiling I had placed them in back in the offseason, but they looked far better in every game than I could have imagined. I still feel like Lon's ahead of schedule even given our record this year. Next season will be real interesting to see how good we could end up being. Glad Joe C lured him in here at the end.

Soonerjeepman
3/6/2012, 09:30 AM
I had us pegged for a 17-13 season going in. Sadly if we had just been able to keep Newell on board that mark would(IMHO) have been easily achieved. Figure he averages 10ppg for the year(he was at 13ppg when he quit),that by itself gives us 5 more wins and a tie(which would have sent us into ot).Even if you assume we only pick up 3 of those 6 games that still puts at 18-12and solidly in the NIT.

THIS ....his leaving really hurt...but that's the way it goes...next yr should be better...

8timechamps
3/6/2012, 04:24 PM
I admit that the hot start got my hopes up, but I don't think I ever realistically upped my expectations for this season. I somewhat expected a bad year just with the transition in staff and everything. This team record-wise hit about the ceiling I had placed them in back in the offseason, but they looked far better in every game than I could have imagined. I still feel like Lon's ahead of schedule even given our record this year. Next season will be real interesting to see how good we could end up being. Glad Joe C lured him in here at the end.

Well said. That pretty much sums up how I feel.

SoonerDood
3/8/2012, 06:56 PM
I'm happy we didn't lose to freakin Chaminade!