PDA

View Full Version : That nasty story about the banker and 1% tip is a hoax.

cleller
3/1/2012, 07:27 PM
At least according to The Smoking Gun:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/actual-receipt-from-restaurant-hoax-879234
also
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/photoshop/restaurant-receipt-photoshop-hoax-869032

I ran across this completely by accident. The original story was thoroughly reported all over the place. Doesn't seem like the truth is as important as the sensational lie. Everything about the story bogus, including the amount of the meal.

The tip was actually over 20%.

TUSooner
3/2/2012, 09:40 AM
Gosh. You mean people lie on the internet?

And please don't start with that tired old "see what lengths the left will go to?" crap. Over the years I've gotten many inboxes full of similar **** from my righty family and friends. A liar is a liar, whether from the left or the right. Fools will believe almost anything if it reinforces their prejudices.

cleller
3/2/2012, 04:06 PM
Gosh. You mean people lie on the internet?

And please don't start with that tired old "see what lengths the left will go to?" crap. Over the years I've gotten many inboxes full of similar **** from my righty family and friends. A liar is a liar, whether from the left or the right. Fools will believe almost anything if it reinforces their prejudices.

I saw the original story on ABC news, not the internet. Wasn't trying to get political. Never felt the story had that kind of angle. Just the usual case of the sensational stuff gets the coverage, then it peters out when its unfounded.

TUSooner
3/3/2012, 01:35 PM
I saw the original story on ABC news, not the internet. Wasn't trying to get political. Never felt the story had that kind of angle. Just the usual case of the sensational stuff gets the coverage, then it peters out when its unfounded.
I wasn't accusing you of starting anything. I didn't even hear it from you or know you posted on it. Just sayin. I'll be specific if I want to accuse you of being a ****head. :D

PS- ABC must feel like suckers. Why did they run a story like that, which even if true, is hardly big news?

MsProudSooner
3/3/2012, 02:53 PM
PS- ABC must feel like suckers. Why did they run a story like that, which even if true, is hardly big news?

I ask myself that question every single time I watch the news these days.