PDA

View Full Version : Thursday poll: When is the best time to kickoff?

badger
3/1/2012, 11:11 AM
I am getting so many requests for poll ideas that I'll bring back the Thursday poll :)

When is the best time for college football game kickoffs when it concerns OU only?

Granted, MAC teams like Tuesday kickoffs so they can be on ESPN and the Pokes like not-quite-weekend night kickoffs so that everyone can see Brandon Weeden's stunned aggy face when the field goal is declared no good and Iowa State rushes the field, trampling on all of your national title game hopes and aspirations :stunned:

What about OU specifically?

Gimme your Sooner fan perspective :)

I'll give you three days to vote!

(ps: these polls are all one-choice anonymous polls. you only have to say how you voted if you wanna in the comments below)

PrideMom
3/1/2012, 12:26 PM
Please NO 11:00 AM or 7:00 PM games, anything in between would be great! The early games the crowd is not ready, and the night games people are ready to go home, and leaving Norman after a night game is a nightmare! Merchants do NOT make any more money, because people just come later and then leave after the game instead of hanging around.

SoonerPride
3/1/2012, 12:45 PM
I wish we had kickoffs at 1pm.

Peeb
3/1/2012, 12:46 PM
Any time from 1:30pm to 3:00pm is the CORRECT time to start a game.

I have spoken.

SOFSooner
3/1/2012, 02:55 PM
The kickoff for games should be between 1:30 to 3:30 pm. This gives sooner fans time to get to Norman and tailgate, it gives the soonerfans at home time to get all the snacks and drinks they need for the game and be ready for the kickoff. But something that most of the networks, who are after the all might dollar, don't think about is all the people who are serving overseas, make the time early enough that they are able to watch the game and get some sleep.

LVSOONER15
3/1/2012, 03:25 PM
Late afternoon games are always a pleasure.

badger
3/1/2012, 03:32 PM
No love for non-Saturday games, eh?

I voted for night games for several reasons, although it looks like nobody's gonna join me :)

1- Health. Every single September/October and sometimes in November when a game kicks off at noon or 2:30 p.m., the medics are working overtime trying to herd people in and out of clinics around the stadium because of the extreme sun and heat. They overcharge for water bottles in the stadium and the stadium water fountain water tastes like crap. I guess you could bring in a water filter bottle... but the policies disallowing people to bring in their own water are ridiculous. At night at least, the sun is setting and people can tolerate being packed like sardines into the bleachers a bit more (and congrats to all who can afford luxury seating with air conditioning. we are all so happy for your trust fundedness, but there are thousands of us and only a few of you in attendance).

2- Traffic. Some think it's bad that people leave early on night games. I think it's wonderful that traffic problems kind of take care of themselves when the games are later. People will show up whenever they do, rather than have to rush straight to the game all at the same time like they do for early afternoon and morning games. Then, afterward, some will leave at halftime (cough! students! cough!), so will leave in the third, some will leave at the start of the fourth... etc etc etc. It works out quite well before and after.

3- It is best for those that can't make it to the game and watch at home. The night games are usually the ones that are not regional, but broadcast nationally to the widest audience possible. It helps the team show off to the pollsters how awesome they are, more Sooner fans from around the world can watch, etc. etc.

PalmettoSooner
3/1/2012, 03:35 PM
The kickoff for games should be between 1:30 to 3:30 pm. This gives sooner fans time to get to Norman and tailgate, it gives the soonerfans at home time to get all the snacks and drinks they need for the game and be ready for the kickoff. But something that most of the networks, who are after the all might dollar, don't think about is all the people who are serving overseas, make the time early enough that they are able to watch the game and get some sleep.

I was in Afganistan in 2010 and any good game that came on 7 or 8pm...I would have to get up at 3 in the morning just to be able to watch it. There was plenty of times that I watched a game and then as soon as it ended, it was back to working a 10 to 12 hour day.

As far as kickoff times goes, I've always liked times anywhere between 3:30 and 6pm. Living here in South Carolina, I go to a lot of their games and that seems to be the perfect time to watch a game, esp at the the beginning of the season b/c the weather in SC is still in the 90's during September. I've always hated noon games.

TrueBornSooner
3/1/2012, 06:36 PM
With a 3.5 hour drive from Dallas, I like the 2:30 games. It makes it a guaranteed day trip.

8timechamps
3/1/2012, 08:13 PM
As a TV fan, I voted 7:00pm. If I were living in Oklahoma again, and made every home game, I'd probably go with 2:30.

olevetonahill
3/1/2012, 10:17 PM
I said 5
Cause at least then ya startin to get some shade

rekamrettuB
3/1/2012, 10:23 PM
If anyone says Thurs/Frid, please ban them.

Peach Fuzz
3/1/2012, 10:50 PM
Partying crowd = 5 P.M. or up.
Whiny crowd >5 ;)

yermom
3/1/2012, 11:02 PM
5PM isn't even a real time.

basically until after OU/Texas, anything earlier than 6PM is too friggin' hot

i don't mind 11:00 or 2:30 when it's cold and overcast... those early kickoffs in September are brutal though

WA. Sooner
3/2/2012, 07:32 AM
High Noon!

StoopTroup
3/2/2012, 11:29 AM
Right after the Ref blows the whistle and the clock starts.

rekamrettuB
3/2/2012, 11:59 AM
Somebody needs some banning!!!

bettersoonerthenlater
3/5/2012, 11:14 AM
Any night game the crowd is louder, and we are normally on ABC and the main focus.

Captain Obvious
3/6/2012, 01:11 AM
Actually I enjoy the variety. I don't like anything later than 6 bit I can tolerate it every once in a while--long drive home, early rise on Sundays. Same with 11am. Have to start early, crowd is dead, but it's ok once a year. The Miami game a few years back was fun even at 11. I guess if I had to vote for one I would say 2:30.

MichiganSooner
3/6/2012, 03:18 PM
Afternoon; like 2:30. We live 170 miles away.

setem
3/6/2012, 04:21 PM
Afternoon; like 2:30. We live 170 miles away.

PSSHHH! I work in kansas and drive back and forth from OKC every weekend.

I wish they had a midnight madness game to kick off the season and we started the tailgate at noon and by the time the game started the whole stadium would be drunk and crazy! KILL THE UMPIRE!