PDA

View Full Version : DKR has Alzheimer's - SIAP

prrriiide
3/1/2012, 07:43 AM
http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-politics/darrell-royals-wife-speaks-about-coachs-dementia-announces-2206071.html?cxtype=rss_longhorns

Turncoat or not, DKR was a great Sooner when he played for us, and in a roundabout way, I think he made OU stronger as a national brand by amping up the rivalry as HC for texass. Love him or hate him, he still deserves respect for that reason alone. Either way, it's sad to see.

StoopTroup
3/1/2012, 07:49 AM
Who? :D ;)

gwydion
3/1/2012, 09:40 AM
What a sad way to live out the end of life, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. I'm glad he has the support of family and friends to help him through and god bless his wife for her devoted care. I know it's just as hard on her too.

badger
3/1/2012, 09:47 AM
Alzheimer's is a scary thought for those who are young and of sound mind, not only for ourselves, but for our loved ones too, isn't it? Can you imagine waking up and not remembering who your spouse, your parents, your children are? Or having loved ones forget who you are?

Very sad. Hope he's being well taken care of :(

StoopTroup
3/1/2012, 09:51 AM
I had a tough time watching my Grandmother fade away but my Grandfather was there with her and the nurses until the day she passed. The thing is for me, it was hard on my grandfather as he was pretty lonely during and after that period where she faded away from us. I think that was one of the hardest things to deal with. My Grandfather lived to 90 and dealt with the loss of a very wonderful Wife and Mother to 6 great kids.

I hope that DKR's Family helps Mrs DKR in what could be a very lengthy illness. God bless her and her Husband.

Lott's Bandana
3/1/2012, 10:02 AM
There were times when I loathed this man.

Yet, I am saddened by this news and wish him and his family well.

KantoSooner
3/1/2012, 10:08 AM
My God. I thought the old goat died 30 years ago.

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2012, 10:10 AM
At some point he may think he's a Sooner again...

I wish him well -- it's a terrible disease.

Lott's Bandana
3/1/2012, 10:32 AM
At some point he may think he's a Sooner again...

I wish him well -- it's a terrible disease.

Wow SicEm...that made me pause for a moment.

My friend's mother died last month. His father, who is 87 and has signs of senility, keeps waking up in the morning and asking my friend where his partner of 54 years is, thereby re-living the experience of learning of her passing over and over.

Makes me weep with sadness at his situation.

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2012, 10:38 AM

My friend's mother died last month. His father, who is 87 and has signs of senility, keeps waking up in the morning and asking my friend where his partner of 54 years is, thereby re-living the experience of learning of her passing over and over.

Aye, like I said, it's a terrible terrible disease.

olevetonahill
3/1/2012, 10:39 AM

Prayers for him and his Family. He WAS a Sooner and then a Very worthy opponent

stoops the eternal pimp
3/1/2012, 10:41 AM
Horrible disease..Prayers for him

olevetonahill
3/1/2012, 11:03 AM
Agreed STEP, If he had went and coached ANY other Team he would be a Hero still here .

Wishboned
3/1/2012, 11:26 AM
I watched my dad waste away from Alzheimer's. It was extremely difficult to deal with watching the confusion, and the anger. I considered it a blessing when he passed.

It's a soul draining disease. My sympathies and prayers go out to DKR and especially his family.

SoonerPride
3/1/2012, 12:46 PM
Alzheimer's is bad news.

Sorry to hear this.

He was a great Sooner.

Sooner_Tuf
3/1/2012, 01:27 PM
I've always felt that this must have started shortly before he crossed the river.

rock on sooner
3/1/2012, 01:38 PM
I lost my grandmother to the disease before it had the name Alzheimer...just remember all the classic symptoms.
Only positive hopes, thoughts and prayers for DKR and his loved ones.

UberSooner
3/1/2012, 02:31 PM
eh . . . nah, even i'm not that classless. I Feel sorry for his family.

Jacie
3/1/2012, 02:35 PM
It is sobering news to learn this about Darrel Royal. I feel for any family that will endure the pain of losing a loved one twice, which is the tragedy of this disease.

Darrel Royal was a Sooner, played on those postwar teams of the late 40's and amazingly, some of the school records he set (most INT's and longest INT returned for a touchdown, I think) still stand. So he was the head coach at sa*et, OUr biggest rival. That in itself does not explain what was perceived as his complete animosity towards the University of Oklahoma and everyone associated with it. As my personal experience with OU began in 1971, I was only around for the end of Royal's head coaching career and so used to think it was just a personal thing between Royal and Barry Switzer. However, I think it goes back farther than that and don't understand why. Did something happen between Royal and Bud Wilkinson? Was he turned down for a job? When did it start? What was the event, if there was one, that made him hate Oklahoma so much? All I know is no love was lost between him and his alma mater. Am I wrong about this one?

BoomerJack
3/1/2012, 03:57 PM
Jacie said:
"I was only around for the end of Royal's head coaching career and so used to think it was just a personal thing between Royal and Barry Switzer."

You hit the nail right on the head. When Switzer took over H.C. at Oklahoma,(1973) the southesst conf. & Big 8 Conf. had different rules for recruiting. SW conf. staffs were not allowed to visit or contact kids as much as Big 8 staffs. And it was during Fairbanks years when the commitment was made by OU to aggressively & heavily recruit state of Texas. Switzer was recruiting coordinator. I understand DKR said in an interview with Bill Connor of Tulsa World that "I'm not being outworked; I'm being outnumbered!" A lot of this as well as a few inopportune public comments from Switzer developed the resentment held by DKR toward Switzer.

REDREX
3/1/2012, 04:52 PM
Sad deal---- even worse he has had two children killed in traffic accidents

BBQ Man
3/1/2012, 05:55 PM
That's really sad. Good luck to his family trying to help him through this.

BajaOklahoma
3/1/2012, 06:28 PM
One of the things mentioned on the TV news story that didn't make it to the article: Darrell asked his wife why all of these Longhorn football players were around and if he had something to do with ut football. Very sad.

picasso
3/1/2012, 10:09 PM
Sad deal---- even worse he has had two children killed in traffic accidents
Wow, I didn't know this. I know Merv Johnson's daughter died a few years ago in a wreck.

As for dementia. My mother has the early stages, she's 81. It's tough stuff.

olevetonahill
3/1/2012, 10:14 PM
One of the things mentioned on the TV news story that didn't make it to the article: Darrell asked his wife why all of these Longhorn football players were around and if he had something to do with ut football. Very sad.
Thats just sad
Ya gotta link?

C&CDean
3/2/2012, 11:50 AM
My pop died with Lewy Bodies Dementia. There's nothing good/funny about it. It's a ****ed up deal for everyone involved - especially the family. All you can hope for is a swift, painless end. When you realize "hey, he ain't ever gonna get better/well" it's sobering/sad as hell. No hope, and a very helpless feeling for loved ones.

I hated everything about DKR's crossing of the Red to the dark side, but he was a great Sooner and for that I wish him Godspeed on to a better place.