PDA

View Full Version : Davy Jones, Monkee, RIP

TUSooner
2/29/2012, 01:12 PM
reports: heart attack at 66. Last perfromance was in OK on Feb 19.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/29/davy-jones-dead-monkees/#.T05qWfEgc6w

As I recall, he was the Favorite Monkee of all the 3rd and 4th grade girls at Northmoor elementary. I used to watch their show back then. For a totally contrived TV band, they recorded some songs that have held up fairly well over the years.

8timechamps
2/29/2012, 01:47 PM
I watched the Monkeys...seems like a looooong times ago.

But, I probably remember Davy Jones more for his appearance on the Brady Bunch.

I'm actually surprised that he was still alive. Well, was. RIP Davy Jones.

olevetonahill
2/29/2012, 01:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzA_qmJkmLY

OULenexaman
2/29/2012, 01:54 PM
Mickey was my favorite Monkey...

Whet
2/29/2012, 02:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBUNp0pAQC0

3rdgensooner
2/29/2012, 04:11 PM
Here's the actual open and end credits:

w2hzusE4veM

StoopTroup
2/29/2012, 05:29 PM
RIP Davey. Y'all did some good stuff.

SicEmBaylor
2/29/2012, 07:42 PM
I loved the Monkeys when I was a kid. My dad was/is a huge Beatles fanatic, and I'd let him know how superior the Monkeys were every change I got. :D

God speed Davy!

SanJoaquinSooner
2/29/2012, 08:17 PM
RIP Davy Jones.

picasso
2/29/2012, 11:54 PM
Likeable lad.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/1/2012, 12:15 AM
...My dad was/is a huge Beatles fanatic, and I'd let him know how superior the Monkeys were every change I got. :D
Fer sure. What were those 2 or 3 Monkee albums that were equivalent to Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road and the White Album? I forget.

hawaii 5-0
3/1/2012, 01:49 AM
Was a time when the Monkees were the hottest thing. I'm a Believer, Last Train to Clarksville, Daydream Believer, I'm Not Your Steppingstone.

One tour Jimi Hendrix was the backup group. He got booed off the stage 'cause the teenyboppers wanted to see Davey and Mickey.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
3/1/2012, 01:52 AM
Fer sure. What were those 2 or 3 Monkee albums that were equivalent to Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road and the White Album? I forget.

Not quite sure the Monkees even played instruments on their albums 'cept maybe Mike Nesmith.

Stephen Still auditioned for a Monkees role but didn't make the cut.

They were the pre-fab four.

5-0

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2012, 02:16 AM

I was like 6 at the time, so I wasn't really able to properly analyze the musical ability of each. ;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/1/2012, 02:34 AM
I was like 6 at the time, so I wasn't really able to properly analyze the musical ability of each. ;)Good answer

StoopTroup
3/1/2012, 07:41 AM
It was my understanding that at least Mickey went on to become a fairly decent drummer and that they all were good entertainers for what started out as just a bunch of actors. By the time the Monkees phase was dying down they had become a fairly decent Band. Nothing to the lengths that the Beatles went though. The Beatles were a truly born out of music Rock n Roll Band. The Monkees were a though up TV show.

At least that's how I though it went.

I think the Monkees realized that they were getting compared to the Beatles and decided to learn how to play and did.

StoopTroup
3/1/2012, 07:45 AM
From wiki...

In assigning instruments for purposes of the television show, a dilemma arose as none of the four was a drummer. Both Nesmith, a skilled guitarist and bassist, and Tork, who could play several stringed and keyboard instruments, declined to give the drum set a try. Jones tested well initially as a novice drummer, but the camera could barely capture him behind the drums because of his short stature. Thus, Dolenz (who only knew how to play the guitar) was assigned to become the drummer. Tork taught Dolenz his first few beats on the drums, enough for him to fake his way through filming, but Micky was soon taught how to play properly.[12] Thus, the lineup for the TV show most frequently featured Nesmith on guitar, Tork on bass, Dolenz on drums, and Jones as a frontman/singer/percussionist.

TUSooner
3/1/2012, 08:48 AM
I loved the Monkeys when I was a kid. My dad was/is a huge Beatles fanatic, and I'd let him know how superior the Monkeys were every change I got. :D

God speed Davy!

Ah, so I see you have a life-long history of being COMPLETELY WRONG?

:wink: :D

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2012, 08:58 AM
Ah, so I see you have a life-long history of being COMPLETELY WRONG?

:wink: :D

What can I say, I've always been a sucker for lost and sometimes wrong causes.
I've always had a knack for picking the losing side of...well...everything.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/1/2012, 09:47 AM
MJw0qpqIONQ

Lott's Bandana
3/1/2012, 10:04 AM
The end of the Saturday morning cartoons went:

Banana Splits

then

The Monkees

then

outside to play.

R.I.P. DJ

MsProudSooner
3/1/2012, 12:22 PM

God speed Davy!

Now we all know that your problems w/ judgement began a long, long time ago.

I liked the Monkees, even though they didn't even come close to being as good as The Beatles.

RIP Davey Jones

C&CDean
3/2/2012, 11:36 AM
My sisters had Davey Jones and Paul McCartney posters all over their rooms in the late 60's. Early 70's was David Cassidy and the Bee Gees.

Chicks are ****ing weird.

cleller
3/2/2012, 04:09 PM
Donny Osmond is probably setting up an appointment for a heart exam.

Jacie
3/3/2012, 09:32 AM
Eighth grade, Monday night, The Monkees.

hawaii 5-0
3/3/2012, 11:46 AM
Tho I've ripped the Monkees a coupla times in this thread, and the Wikipedia article backs up my complaints, I still liked Davey Jones and the Monkees. They were entertainment.

Davey was a warm charming man.

5-0