PDA

View Full Version : Who does the Rams Draft?

StoopTroup
2/26/2012, 06:53 PM
Michael Irvin says they better get Bradford some help and the help they need has a bad hamstring.

http://m.nfl.com/combine/blogs/2012/02/26/irvin-blackmon-does-all-the-right-things-to-warrant-best-label/

badger
2/26/2012, 07:14 PM
The Rams don't need Blackmon if it means they don't get tons of picks in exchange for the No. 2 pick. Trade down and fill in as many pieces as possible... LIKE IN THE OFFENSIVE LINE!!!!!!!!

goingoneight
2/26/2012, 07:33 PM
I would have to be convinced he IS the next Michael Irvin to ever spend that much on a WR. Blackmon won't exactly suffer... he's gonna get his.

StoopTroup
2/26/2012, 07:35 PM
I actually think Irvin is right and that they will sign him. I hate seeing them out so much money for two players so if they do decide to pass and bargain I hope they do pick up Broyles. I'd take a risk on him before having to bank an NFL Max Salary on Mr. Hamstring.

JLMSOONER
2/26/2012, 07:47 PM
A lot of folks here in st. Louis think Sam is a bust and injury prone. They don't realize he is running for his life. I think they need to pass on Blackmon and get an O line that can give him some time to throw. Granted he has been hitting the receivers in the hands and they can't seem to catch it. I don't know but I hate seeing Sam get hammered all the time. I mean sh*t. At least protect him so he can survive a few years and you can find someone that can catch. I feel sorry for him.

Scott D
2/26/2012, 07:50 PM
Blackmon won't get paid squat compared to last year's #2 pick.

The Rams would be better off using that pick on Kalil.

Peach Fuzz
2/26/2012, 08:13 PM
So can I call out your grammar? do we still do that here?

Rams make me sad. They need a lot of work up front. I really don't know where to start. I guess I'd go with an OL to be safe.

StoopTroup
2/26/2012, 08:18 PM
A lot of folks here in st. Louis think Sam is a bust and injury prone. They don't realize he is running for his life. I think they need to pass on Blackmon and get an O line that can give him some time to throw. Granted he has been hitting the receivers in the hands and they can't seem to catch it. I don't know but I hate seeing Sam get hammered all the time. I mean sh*t. At least protect him so he can survive a few years and you can find someone that can catch. I feel sorry for him.

I don't feel sorry for Sam except that the Rams were trying to get him killed last year. It was pretty obvious that mngt decided to bench him for the rest of the year and get a new Manager and Coach and save Sam for next year. That said, if everyone in St. Louis wants to donate and help the Rams pay off the 80 million they owe Sam, I'm pretty confident that he'll get picked up by a much better Team in around 30 seconds after they settle with him.

St. Louis Fans are crazy but I have no problem with them buying Sam a release and them going after whoever they think is better. If they think it's Luck or Rg3 they deserve the cash flow problems that would cause.

StoopTroup
2/26/2012, 08:21 PM
Blackmon won't get paid squat compared to last year's #2 pick.

I think that's pretty much a given. I kind of feel for this bunch too as they all have waited for this day all their lives only to see it downplayed financially.

OU_Sooners75
2/26/2012, 08:38 PM
Pick 1: Take RGIII (his stock as soared thanks to the combine) and trade his rights for more picks in this draft.
Pick 2: Kalil
Pick 3: Take another solid OL pick
Pick 4: Get a solid WR
Pick 5: Get another OL
The rest of their picks can be defense.

What they need for Bradford is an OL. Bradford didn't have trouble completing passes as he did staying off his back thanks to a pathetic OL!

StoopTroup
2/26/2012, 08:45 PM
Buying the rights to RG3 might be a huge mistake if they can't get the value that some think is there. Imagine if they ended up taking a bath on him with the League putting a ceiling on his salary.

Eielson
2/27/2012, 12:49 AM
If available, the obvious choice is to trade down with the Browns for #4 to get Blackmon along with the #22 pick and a couple other picks.

Some people have speculated that Dan Snyder might be crazy enough to package multiple high picks over three years to put this together. I doubt it happens, but I think he'll help bump up the asking price so that the Rams can get both of Cleveland's first rounders along with another couple 2nd/3rds.

The Rams have spent high picks on tackles recently. At least give them a chance. They didn't have a chance in McDaniels' system. Just bringing in a new system will keep Bradford on his feet more. At this point, I think a down field threat to keep the defense from sending everybody will give Sam about as much extra time as a good pass blocker. If they want, they can pick an OT at #22 or #33.

That #33 pick is going to be nice with the recent draft change. With the first day only including the first round, and with a whole day in between the first and second round, the Rams could easily trade down and get even more picks with that.

I also want to say that Rams fans haven't given up on Sam. They understand the situation better than most on here.

Eielson
2/27/2012, 01:28 AM
This is what I'd really love to see this offseason (in no particular order):

1. Bring in a good HC. DONE!

2. Get rid of McDaniels. DONE!

3. Trade down and get both of Cleveland's first rounders along with another couple picks.

4. Resign Lloyd and draft Blackmon. Those two along with Amendola (as a third guy he's solid, as one or two he sucks), Kendricks at TE (2nd rounder last year), and Jackson out of the backfield could be a really good group. I would cry tears of joy if that came together.

5. Sign Cortland Finnegan. I think we had 11 guys in our secondary injured at one point last year. Just bringing those guys back would be a big improvement, and signing Finnegan would be that much better. These guys matched up with the pass rush our DE's our capable of could make us a very hard team to throw against.

6. Pick an RT at #22 or #33. Brown was supposed to be our LT of the future (although he was more like an RT) when we picked him at #2 a couple years ago. We drafted Saffold the next year, though, and it was a better fit to have Saffold at LT and Brown at RT. Brown has been a disappointment, but mainly just because he has a concussion problem and can't stay on the field. Most were pleased with Saffold's rookie season, but he didn't do as well in McDaniels' system. McDaniels is gone now. If Brown plays to his potential and stays healthy, the rookie can be moved to RG. Most likely it will be the other way around, though. We have a good center. There is also a really good guard we have a chance to get. Can't remember him off the top of my head, though.

7. Draft an OLB with #22 or #33. A lot of great OLB's have been picked in this area in recent years. He'll come in and start immediately. We're awful at SLB. The weak-side could use an upgrade also. We're good at MLB with Laurinaitis.

8. We might use the #22 or #33 pick on a DT and bump the OLB pick to the third round. This is another desperate need. It would be nice to add Cleveland's second rounder here. Otherwise, it's just the best player available between those two positions (slight lean toward DT). There is some talk of signing Albert Haynesworth. I think Haynesworth is probably done, but he did play really well under Fisher, so that is a little intriguing.

If all these things happen, we could actually field a pretty competitive team next year. I don't think all of this will happen, but everything I mentioned is individually reasonable (most of it has been strongly speculated).

StoopTroup
2/27/2012, 01:33 AM
I'm not gonna speak for Rams Fans as until Sam became a Ram and my Son and I decided to pick a Team we both could root for...St. Louis Rams was an easy pick for me since I've been a Cardinal Fan my entire life.

I would hope they haven't lost their minds about Sam as its pretty obvious Sam hasn't given up on them. I think he's one of the hardest working QBs in the NFL right now. I see him possibly winning a Super Bowl in his Career if the Rams can put together a Team like they had for Warner when he was there. They need a WR and a RB that can stay healthy for 11 games/wins.

I say that as seeing the Giants upset the NFL after a 9-7 Season, anyone can win the Super Bowl if they pull it together in the Post Season it seems.

stoopified
2/27/2012, 05:04 AM
exactly trade down.load up on picks get a stud WR and a couple of stud OL and a couple of stud DBs.

Curly Bill
2/27/2012, 10:03 AM
Trade down - the Rams need a lot of help and the more picks the better.

PrideMom
2/27/2012, 10:12 AM
Someone who won't drop the ball.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2012, 11:43 AM
Will be surprised if they still have that 2nd pick draft day..

SoonerAtKU
2/27/2012, 11:52 AM
Yeah, nobody in STL likes the idea of spending that #2 on either Kalil or Blackmon. Of course, that being common knowledge might drive down the trade value of the pick, but the better Griffin does at his pro day, the faster that value goes back up. His quick 40 time and him being as tall as advertised doesn't hurt, either.

Eielson
2/27/2012, 11:59 AM
Yeah, nobody in STL likes the idea of spending that #2 on either Kalil or Blackmon. Of course, that being common knowledge might drive down the trade value of the pick, but the better Griffin does at his pro day, the faster that value goes back up. His quick 40 time and him being as tall as advertised doesn't hurt, either.

There are multiple teams that want that pick, so I don't think that drops its trade value. RGIII is going at #2. If you want him, you have to trade for that pick. It doesn't matter if the Rams pick him or somebody else does.

StoopTroup
2/27/2012, 12:13 PM
Having this salary ceiling put down really makes things interesting. It will be fun to watch how this plays out.

SoonerAtKU
2/27/2012, 12:54 PM
Oh sure, I'm just saying that what the Rams get back for the pick might vary slightly since everyone knows it's RG3 and that the Rams have zero interest in picking at #2 and the Vikings don't appear to want a QB either. At this point, I think it's about the Rams convincing the Browns that someone else is coming up for RG3 and that they need to get in there before their guy gets swiped.

Jason White's Third Knee
2/27/2012, 01:07 PM
The GM usually does the Rams' draft.

Linemen. Get linemen.

When Troy and emmitt had the beat line in the league they were the belles of the ball. When they didn't they were just overpaid whiny babies.

bluedogok
2/27/2012, 10:28 PM
Trade down - the Rams need a lot of help and the more picks the better.
It is being reported that the Rams are shopping the pick around to other teams now.

hawaii 5-0
2/27/2012, 10:53 PM
Shop the pick for about 6 other guys.

5-0

SoonerMom2
2/28/2012, 12:48 AM
Jeff Fisher said Sam is the Ram's future and got the impression that the Rams are looking to get some draft picks for #2 and go for some offensive lineman. They need some guys to protect Sam or a wide receiver won't make any difference.

They should have never hired McDaniel period.

StoopTroup
2/28/2012, 02:47 AM
They need WRs. In the plural.

Curly Bill
2/28/2012, 08:52 AM
If they stocked up on WR's and OL's it wouldn't hurt my feelers.

Curly Bill
2/28/2012, 08:53 AM
It is being reported that the Rams are shopping the pick around to other teams now.

No doubt. They need to find someone desperate to take RGIII at the 2nd pick and rob those folks for all they got.

badger
2/28/2012, 09:07 AM
Sportscenter this morning said that the Rams are "at least" asking for what the Chargers got to trade Eli Manning to the Giants back in 2004, which was (I think) two first rounders, a third and fifth rounder. I'm probably mistaken, but it was a lot of picks.

What I would like to see happen is the idiot Ditka move --- trading an entire draft AND next year's first rounder away for the pick.

BBQ Man
2/28/2012, 10:39 AM
If they trade the #2 and get two OL and a WR in the first two rounds, Bradford will finally have the talent around him to show how great he is.

westbrooke
2/28/2012, 10:44 AM
Sportscenter this morning said that the Rams are "at least" asking for what the Chargers got to trade Eli Manning to the Giants back in 2004, which was (I think) two first rounders, a third and fifth rounder. I'm probably mistaken, buGrt it was a lot of picks.

What I would like to see happen is the idiot Ditka move --- trading an entire draft AND next year's first rounder away for the pick.

Saw this note on SI.com (http://tracking.si.com/2012/02/27/report-rams-will-trade-no-2-overall-pick-in-nfl-draft/?sct=hp_t2_a4&eref=sihp) this morning, reporting on an Adam Schefter tweet, saying essentially the same thing.

Rams will trade No. 2 pick. Only question is where. Chargers once got two 1s, a 3 and a 5 for Eli Manning. Rams likely to get similar deal.

Griffin's blazing 40 time may have been the best thing to happen to the Rams since Sam declared for the draft.

badger
2/28/2012, 10:53 AM
Griffin's blazing 40 time may have been the best thing to happen to the Rams since Sam declared for the draft.

The second-best thing was the slotted scale for rookie contracts. Unlike the Giants in 2004, when a team does a deal for their franchise quarterback of the future, they are not going to be worried about how big of a signing bonus and guaranteed money the top(almost) pick will demand. They know exactly what they will pay, because it's slotted.

Thus, the Rams should be able to demand even more, because after all, that is all basically that the other team will have to give up to get their franchise quarterback: Draft picks. Or perhaps some players, too?

swardboy
2/28/2012, 12:42 PM

Wish I could remember which talking head said the Rams won the NFL combine 40 yard dash.

Eielson
2/28/2012, 01:14 PM

I'm not understanding why everybody is so excited about Griffin's time. Everybody knew he was fast. Honestly, I thought he might run a little bit faster. I was more pleased that he measured at 6'2, 223 lbs, and did well with his interviews.

badger
2/28/2012, 01:28 PM
Did anyone else catch any vibe that RG3 was actually disappointed in his time?

It wouldn't surprise me if he has a little chip on his shoulder and will run again at Baylor's Pro Day (yes, it amazes me that Baylor has a pro day now too), and beats his 4.41 Combine time :)

With hurdles. :P

cvsooner
2/28/2012, 02:30 PM
Saw this note on SI.com (http://tracking.si.com/2012/02/27/report-rams-will-trade-no-2-overall-pick-in-nfl-draft/?sct=hp_t2_a4&eref=sihp) this morning, reporting on an Adam Schefter tweet, saying essentially the same thing.

Rams will trade No. 2 pick. Only question is where. Chargers once got two 1s, a 3 and a 5 for Eli Manning. Rams likely to get similar deal.

Yeah. And the Giants have two Super Bowl titles and the Chargers are professional bridesmaids.

StoopTroup
2/28/2012, 03:00 PM
I'm not understanding why everybody is so excited about Griffin's time. Everybody knew he was fast. Honestly, I thought he might run a little bit faster. I was more pleased that he measured at 6'2, 223 lbs, and did well with his interviews.
I think the speed is affected by those stupid dreadlocks. Cut those babies down and go with a blowout kit and he's running a 4.25 40. Maybe a jeary curl?