View Full Version : NFL Combine

cccasooner2
2/25/2012, 01:08 PM
Hanna just ran a 4.42 40. :)

10' 2" broad 3rd
36" vert. tied 1st

swardboy
2/25/2012, 01:09 PM
Wow...Hanna pulled a 4.42 40. Did anyone see that coming? I think someone's draft status may have just jumped.

swardboy
2/25/2012, 01:15 PM
James also tied for first in the vertical - 36", and third in standing broad jump - 10' 2". Dude came prepared I'd say.

I think I saw where Stephenson ran a 4.94. Beat Kalil - 4.99 for fastest time.

swardboy
2/25/2012, 01:25 PM
You beat me. Hanna is having an insane combine performance.

swardboy
2/25/2012, 01:33 PM
But, alas, he drops the first two catchable passes.

Turd_Ferguson
2/25/2012, 01:36 PM
I thought this was gonna be about Gleaner's...

cccasooner2
2/25/2012, 01:40 PM
But, alas, he drops the first two catchable passes.

Hopefully, the scouts will overlook those and be like figure skating judges. They know he is capable of catching the ball and therefore caught it. :)

swardboy
2/25/2012, 01:48 PM
Great job on the first pass-catching drill !!

cccasooner2
2/25/2012, 01:54 PM
Great job on the first pass-catching drill !!

Yep, that was smooooth. By far the best shown.

StoopTroup
2/25/2012, 02:12 PM
We are at Stone Bluff Winery. The Wife bought a tour on Living Social. I didn't set the DVR. Arrrrrggggg!

StoopTroup
2/25/2012, 02:18 PM
Called Home. The daughter hit record. All is well.

StoopTroup
2/25/2012, 03:17 PM
These is some high falutin' Winos out here. Just about to dig into the artichoke dip and the mushroom soup.

I should be able to run a 34:26 in the 40.

StoopTroup
2/25/2012, 03:34 PM
Cool to hear he's doing well.

ouleaf
2/25/2012, 05:10 PM
Definitely think Hanna did a lot to up his stock....and with the recent success of athletic TE's that is also going to help him out a lot.

cccasooner2
2/25/2012, 06:03 PM
Definitely think Hanna did a lot to up his stock....and with the recent success of athletic TE's that is also going to help him out a lot.

What does that have to do with cheap wine?

8timechamps
2/25/2012, 06:32 PM

I also think the way Belichick uses TEs (and we all know the NFL is a copycat league) could benefit more athletic TEs like Hanna.

85sooners
2/25/2012, 06:42 PM
:bull_head:

oumartin
2/25/2012, 06:48 PM
They said he ran a sub 4.4 before. Remember the Bedlam game two years ago

Curly Bill
2/25/2012, 09:38 PM
Wow...Hanna pulled a 4.42 40. Did anyone see that coming? I think someone's draft status may have just jumped.

Too bad he only catches about 1 of every 2 balls thrown to him!

StoopTroup
2/25/2012, 10:24 PM
Some of these guys that are the expert picks don't look as solid as Hanna. I've been watching the replay and some of these throwing drills aren't about catching the ball. They want to see their foot work as they break downfield.

We all know most of these TEs out there have the ability to make plays or they wouldn't be at the Combine.

8timechamps
2/25/2012, 10:29 PM
Hanna looks better than most of the others. The two dropped balls won't help, but I think his 40 time and the gauntlet drill really helped. He's not hurting his stock any.

Also, did anyone see Donald Stephenson had the fastest 40 time of the o linemen? He opened some eyes.

StoopTroup
2/25/2012, 10:33 PM
What does that have to do with cheap wine?

When your Wife wants you to take her to a Winery in the afternoon on a beautiful sunny day, it's best to set the DVR and watch the Combines later?

StoopTroup
2/25/2012, 10:36 PM
I also think the way Belichick uses TEs (and we all know the NFL is a copycat league) could benefit more athletic TEs like Hanna.

Yeah they have already mentioned Rob Gronkowski enough. Then they have Michael Irvin out there putting in his 2 cents and rooting for every Miami Player on the field. He's never going to learn how to stiffle that mouth of his.

Per Irvin: if you dropped a pass that was thrown to you as your momma delivered you, you aren't a natural receiver. LMAO.

8timechamps
2/25/2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah they have already mentioned Rob Gronkowski enough. Then they have Michael Irvin out there putting in his 2 cents and rooting for every Miami Player on the field. He's never going to learn how to stiffle that mouth of his.

No kidding. I want to be Michael Irvin in my next life...be physically gifted, get paid millions, snort coke off of a prostitute, get arrested, and end up getting paid to talk about football. Nice work, if you can get it I guess.

StoopTroup
2/25/2012, 10:43 PM
The announcers just called out Andrew Luck and the Heisman Poser RGIII for not throwing in the Combines. :D

Scott D
2/26/2012, 11:53 AM
Hanna's problem is that the film doesn't support what he did at the Combine. What scouts are generally seeing is a guy who is a workout performer and not a gametime performer.

papawlambert
2/26/2012, 01:11 PM
RG111 ran a 4.35 40.

Eielson
2/26/2012, 01:27 PM
RGIII is officially listed as a 4.41. Hanna at 4.49. Luck was also impressive running a 4.67.

StoopTroup
2/26/2012, 05:50 PM
I'm kind of sick of RG3's Eddie Murphy grin.

Just sayin'

StoopTroup
2/26/2012, 06:29 PM
Also...the announcer calling the Combines "The Underwear Olympics".

Bwahahahaha!

cccasooner2
2/27/2012, 11:17 AM
Ronnell unoff. 4.43 40.

badger
2/27/2012, 11:34 AM
Also...the announcer calling the Combines "The Underwear Olympics".

Bwahahahaha!

The under armour bottoms that they're running around in with the checker patterns is butt-ugly, especially on the bigger guys. The rest looks sharp, but they aren't doing a good job of selling their running spandex with this event. Ick.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2012, 11:40 AM
Memphis DT Dontari Poe at 346lbs ran a 4.87..Nick Perry at 271 lbs ran a 4.5...

This may be the most athletic Dline group I have ever seen...

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2012, 11:41 AM
4.69 is what I am seeing on Ronnell...

cccasooner2
2/27/2012, 11:47 AM
4.69 is what I am seeing on Ronnell...

Yes, I didn't have my glasses on and leaned forward to read the time. I think I read the best time for DLs at that point. Twelve lashes for me.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2012, 11:53 AM
Interesting note...The Colts suggested to Griffin and Luck to not throw at the Combine.

SoonerAtKU
2/27/2012, 11:57 AM
It really doesn't make sense in this era for the top-flight guys to perform at the combine like that. At best, Luck shows you that he's still the #1 pick. They can't draft him any higher, and he can't make any more money, so what's the incentive? I can certainly see 30 years ago when NFL scouts couldn't make it to all of the games or watch tape, and of course for the lower-ranked guys.

Also, I'm sure the Colts wouldn't want Griffin to maybe outshine Luck in passing drills and cause some stir about the draft order.

StoopTroup
2/27/2012, 12:05 PM
Interesting note...The Colts suggested to Griffin and Luck to not throw at the Combine.

Seems the Colts have some of their own problems with Peyton waiting to throw until March 8th (?) I think they said?

I wonder if they are trying to manipulate the Draft in order to land a backup/replacement for Peyton? The Colts Center, who is currently a long time veteran of the NFL and right now a free agent, was saying he thinks Peyton will be fine and will play next Season. You just never know where these guys loyalties lie. If I was getting put out to pasture as a Center for Manning, would I be all nice on TV trying to get another 1 or 2 Season deal? Probably. If Manning is OK, maybe he gets his job back and if Peyton is done....maybe being nice lands him a spot on another Team until he's ready to retire. It must be tough finally splitting up with a guy that's had his hands on your a$$ since he was a Rookie. :D

badger
2/27/2012, 12:10 PM

I'd suggest that also... wouldn't you agree that everyone agrees that whether the Colts or Rams want them for themselves or not that they are picks No. 1 and No. 2, in that order, no matter what at this point?

About all Andrew Luck can do at this point to drop would be to say something reminiscent of Ryan Leaf, methinks... but there's no indication that he has any Ryan Leaf in him, especially with a dad like Oliver.

About all RG3 can do at this point to drop would be to show signs of Jamarcus Russell, methinks... but as an early graduate at Baylor that's getting married and seems well-grounded and respectful, there's no signs of future purple drank addictions really.

They both deserve to be No. 1 overall picks... they just happened to be in the same draft class, that's all. Something tells me that RG3 will make up for being No. 2 with a nice endorsement deal... Under Armour, perhaps?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2012, 12:25 PM
Ronnell's drill work is excellent..Workout warrior like I thought he would be.

NOVSooner
2/27/2012, 12:50 PM
Something tells me that RG3 will make up for being No. 2 with a nice endorsement deal... Under Armour, perhaps?

I think I saw where RG3 inked with Adidas today or recently

badger
2/27/2012, 01:22 PM
I think I saw where RG3 inked with Adidas today or recently

Right you are!

IyGU-ddIPiM

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2012, 01:52 PM
UNC LB Zach Brown ran a 4.45 time at 6'1" 244 lbs..very impressive

badger
2/27/2012, 01:56 PM
STEP, got time for some random Combine questions?

1- How important is the Combine versus your school's pro day?

2- Is this like that test in high school where if you do poorly you are a failure for life, or will a bad Combine not necessarily doom your pro prospects?

3- In what ways do athletes try to cheat the numbers at the Combine? Elevator shoes or spikey hair to increase height? Drinking lots of water (or starving/dehydrating) right before weigh-in? Trying to feign injuries during a Combine drill to get a second chance at a bad time/distance?

4- Any funny stories to share like Mike Sherman caught sleeping a few years ago?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2012, 02:07 PM
1.That's really case by case..Used to, the school pro day was reserved for the guys who might earn an invite to camp..For quarterbacks it seems, it has become really important..

2. Depends on the situation..again..Usually if a guy runs or lifts at the combine, they go by those numbers...And there is no fixing it..Like the LB prospect that just ran a 4.93..Burfict or something like that...He just cost himself some money and the pro date run will not fix it.

3. They don't cheat the numbers but a lot of players who may be considered underweight will put on some major poundage to impress on the combine..The problem is that usually these guys suffer because of it and do more harm than good.

4. Funniest stories usually involved coaches/team reps getting pissed at the guys in charge of the drills or something of that nature...Watched a Steelers rep go ballistic on the bench press guy one year and cussed him for 20 minutes even after the guy walked out...Or listening to reps talk about players after interviewing them..Saying things like "That guy is an idiot..I wonder how he even found this place"..

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2012, 02:08 PM
Another example of #3 is Travis Lewis just ran a 4.81

starclassic tama
2/27/2012, 02:09 PM
he came in at 246... way too much weight for his frame.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2012, 02:13 PM
In the meantime, Zach Brown went 4.44 on his 2nd run at pretty much the same size but used to carrying that amount of weight

starclassic tama
2/27/2012, 02:18 PM
north carolina blows my mind. where do they find all these defensive athletes? every year they seemingly have 10 freaks at the combine

badger
2/27/2012, 02:21 PM
north carolina blows my mind. where do they find all these defensive athletes? every year they seemingly have 10 freaks at the combine

Boo Blake. :mad:

I know that UNC got rid of him, but the players Boo recruited to UNC would be coming of NFL age now, wouldn't they? So, looks like Butch and Boo put together some kick arse recruiting classes... no wonder the NCAA hammered em so hard UNC fired Butch.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2012, 02:24 PM

They have been getting defensive studs for years...So many defensive stars on that side of the country to pick from..Even a school like UNC can get the leftovers and still have better defensive players than 90% of the country.

badger
2/27/2012, 02:28 PM
Usually if a guy runs or lifts at the combine, they go by those numbers...And there is no fixing it.

I remember Malcolm Kelly going ballistic because he had to run his 40 on a certain type of surface at the OU pro day a few years back. Is there any fixing a bad number in a scout's eyes, whether it's at Combine, a school's pro day, or anywhere else, or will that number stick out as a big red flag forever?

They don't cheat the numbers but a lot of players who may be considered underweight will put on some major poundage to impress on the combine..The problem is that usually these guys suffer because of it and do more harm than good.

Are players just too worried that they'll get caught, or are there just no really good ways to fudge the numbers?

Funniest stories usually involved coaches/team reps getting pissed at the guys in charge of the drills or something of that nature...

Go on... more details plz :D

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2012, 02:32 PM
A 40 can be overlooked if they know ahead of time the player has some type of injury that may slow him down or he stumbles at some point..

Really no good way to mess with the numbers...This thing has been going on long enough and the guys measuring have been doing it long enough...no need to waste time with it.

Curly Bill
2/27/2012, 03:34 PM
Another example of #3 is Travis Lewis just ran a 4.81

Ouch!

badger
2/27/2012, 03:56 PM
More random STEP questions if you have time:

1- Who is allowed at the Combine and is there a specific "NO WAY YOU ARE ALLOWED" list? Media? Agents? Fans? Agent runners? Family members? Shoe companies?

2- If every scout has his own stopwatch, how do you determine which time is the "official" time? I ask because RG3 was rumored to have a 4.35 before he was officially clocked as 4.41.

3- Schools and players will usually have their own stat and measurable list from wherever. Which stats are usually the farthest off from the Combine stats? Height? 40 times? Weight?

4- What are the best/worst stories regarding player interviews? I am sure they are coached beforehand on what questions to expect, how to answer, etc., but based on your previous answer, it sounds like some are getting bad coaching/bad advice. Is there some notoriously bad advice/answers going around in interviews that players need to be advised to just never, EVER say to an NFL rep ever again?

starclassic tama
2/27/2012, 04:36 PM
the are electronically timed at the combine. some programs inflate their numbers somewhat, however this has dropped recently. most just round up to the next inch, maybe add an inch. some small schools will inflate guys heights/weights to get them recognition from scouts.

8timechamps
2/27/2012, 04:42 PM
The combine isn't important for single events (40, bench, etc.), it's important for the entirety of the process. Up at 4:30am for drug testing, interviewing with teams until midnight, and back up at 5:00am the next day to preform. They want to see how the athlete handles the situation.

Of course the results of the drills are factored, but coaches/scouts already have a pretty good idea what they're looking for.

As for T Lewis, he's not done himself any favors coming in so big. I think his stock is falling.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2012, 08:15 PM
More random STEP questions if you have time:

1- Who is allowed at the Combine and is there a specific "NO WAY YOU ARE ALLOWED" list? Media? Agents? Fans? Agent runners? Family members? Shoe companies?

2- If every scout has his own stopwatch, how do you determine which time is the "official" time? I ask because RG3 was rumored to have a 4.35 before he was officially clocked as 4.41.

3- Schools and players will usually have their own stat and measurable list from wherever. Which stats are usually the farthest off from the Combine stats? Height? 40 times? Weight?

4- What are the best/worst stories regarding player interviews? I am sure they are coached beforehand on what questions to expect, how to answer, etc., but based on your previous answer, it sounds like some are getting bad coaching/bad advice. Is there some notoriously bad advice/answers going around in interviews that players need to be advised to just never, EVER say to an NFL rep ever again?

1. Since the NFL Network as become involved, it's pretty impossible for anyone outside of being an agent or team rep...I had my access closed in 2008 and could only use guys I knew from teams to get info...Obviously, you can watch it on NFL Network, but I've seen first hand their inventions of stories to create good TV there and I don't trust them.

2. What tama said...You have all the guys with hand timers, the Network has a timer, and then an official time...When Calvin Johnson ran, I literally heard 25 watches click at different times..

3. Height depending on the position...40 times from schools don't mean squat and nobody give them any weight..Heck look at the high school times...Everybody is a 4.4 guy according to their coach who times them.

4. Hitting close to home, Dan Cody may have been one of the worst interviews ever... The more he talked, the further he slipped..

picasso
2/27/2012, 11:50 PM
I just read Ronnell's analysis on the NFL Network's site and it said he's a slow twitch athlete with not so good footwork. Is that what this/they see? That dude is anything but slow twitch.

Eielson
2/28/2012, 12:55 AM
Ronnell got 36 reps on bench. That puts him #1 for LB's. #2 for defensive players overall.

StoopTroup
2/28/2012, 02:32 AM
nm

SicEmBaylor
2/28/2012, 06:51 AM
They both deserve to be No. 1 overall picks... they just happened to be in the same draft class, that's all. Something tells me that RG3 will make up for being No. 2 with a nice endorsement deal... Under Armour, perhaps?

He's already signed with Adidas.

cccasooner2
2/28/2012, 09:18 AM
Fleming unoff 4.43 and 23 reps on NFL channel this morning.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2012, 09:34 AM
Ronnell has pretty much cemented his 2nd round pick with his good workouts..

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2012, 09:36 AM
before the draft, heard the Lions could bite on Fleming with their late 1st round pick...His pre-draft climb continues

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2012, 09:39 AM
Janoris Jenkins still showing off..Owning the important for DB drill 10 yard split

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2012, 09:41 AM
Most likely top 5 picks

IND Luck, WAS (trade): RG3, MIN: Kalil, CLE: Richardson, TB: Claiborne

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2012, 09:44 AM
Fleming with a 4.45 2nd run...great work

badger
2/28/2012, 09:47 AM
Ronnell got 36 reps on bench. That puts him #1 for LB's. #2 for defensive players overall.

I guess Stoops didn't call him "The Hammer" for nothing :)

He's already signed with Adidas.

You are a page late to the party, dear.

IND Luck, WAS (trade): RG3, MIN: Kalil, CLE: Richardson, TB: Claiborne

Before any pokes call you a hater gooner, any reason why you think Blackmon will not be among the top 5? Are teams already sour on receivers after last year's mad dash to get the top ones right away in the first round?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2012, 09:54 AM
I mentioned here and a few other places I was concerned about his height a while back...To take a WR top 10, they need it all...He did end up measuring a little shorter than listed(6') and that concerns me....He said he tweaked his hammy last week so he didn't run...He admitted he needed help in his route running and a few other areas...I'm not saying he doesn't go top 10, but he isn't top 5.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2012, 10:30 AM
Not great drill work from Fleming on this one..not bad, not great

badger
2/28/2012, 10:55 AM
1. Since the NFL Network as become involved, it's pretty impossible for anyone outside of being an agent or team rep...I had my access closed in 2008 and could only use guys I knew from teams to get info...Obviously, you can watch it on NFL Network, but I've seen first hand their inventions of stories to create good TV there and I don't trust them.

That kind of sucks for scouts, doesn't it? Do you all have closed circuit TVs on site, or big watch parties or something, or do you just have to get info from team reps and agents later?

4. Hitting close to home, Dan Cody may have been one of the worst interviews ever... The more he talked, the further he slipped..

Is it the way they say it, or the words they say?

On a related note, are there any notorious cases of team reps really effing up in player interviews themselves, a la asking Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute?

starclassic tama
2/28/2012, 11:04 AM
any chance fleming gets moved to safety? i say that because he came in at 206..

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2012, 11:12 AM
I don't think so...I think for his sake, it would be better to stay at corner

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/28/2012, 11:17 AM
Boo Blake. :mad:

I know that UNC got rid of him, but the players Boo recruited to UNC would be coming of NFL age now, wouldn't they? So, looks like Butch and Boo put together some kick arse recruiting classes... no wonder the NCAA hammered em so hard UNC fired Butch.

Geez, why don't you stop drinking the kool aid here. The state of North Carolina has always produced a ton of DE/LB talent (just like Oklahoma has decent success with QBs and TEs - though most of our QBs go baseball). Being the flagship school of that state means they are going to get several a year.

Think guys like Julius Peppers etc

badger
2/28/2012, 11:32 AM
Geez, why don't you stop drinking the kool aid here. The state of North Carolina has always produced a ton of DE/LB talent (just like Oklahoma has decent success with QBs and TEs - though most of our QBs go baseball). Being the flagship school of that state means they are going to get several a year.

Allow me to get my Blake hate out every so often :P

MI Sooner
2/28/2012, 12:52 PM
It depends on what formations you choose as representing our starters, but using a 4-3 defense w/ Jefferson at LB and a TE/HB/FB/2 WR offensive formation, we're losing 7 starters. 6 were seniors and Ronnell left early. I think all 7 were invited to the combine, although Frank didn't participate. But that means all 7 have a decent chance of getting drafted. How often does that happen, where every starter is in NFL draftee? It's probably not as rare as it might seem for schools like USC, Miami, tOSU, etc. (at least at their peaks). Still, I think it says something that if you come to OU and win a starting job, you're going to get drafted.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2012, 05:24 PM
Frank Alexander said he found out about some heart condition and thats the reason he didn't workout at the Combine...

TXBOOMER
2/28/2012, 06:38 PM

Greg Ellis was pretty good himself.

8timechamps
2/28/2012, 06:42 PM
I'm still impressed with how well Stephenson did. Hanna also had a good weekend, but not sure if a team will take a risk and recruit him earlier than expected.

Looks like no first rounders for the Sooners this year (assuming Flemming doesn't move up). But, overall, good job by all (except for possibly TL).

cccasooner2
2/28/2012, 06:52 PM
Frank Alexander said he found out about some heart condition and thats the reason he didn't workout at the Combine...

Gee, that's a bummer. That never sounds good. Think he will have to hang up his cleats?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/28/2012, 06:58 PM
Allow me to get my Blake hate out every so often :PThe onliest one I've ever seen who was both a great recruiter AND inarticulate at the same time.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2012, 08:21 PM
Gee, that's a bummer. That never sounds good. Think he will have to hang up his cleats?

I don't think it sounds like it...It just sounds like something he just found out and he wants all the information first before going any further..

Knippz
2/29/2012, 10:39 AM
Looks like no first rounders for the Sooners this year (assuming Flemming doesn't move up). But, overall, good job by all (except for possibly TL).
Makes me want to cry for Broyles!

badger
2/29/2012, 10:42 AM

Don't cry for him too much. prissy prima donna receivers are the most common first round busts, next to the Ryan Leafs and Jamarkus Russells, of course.

The best thing for Ryan would be to go to a place that will invest in his future in ways other than a high draft pick... like say... grouping him with his college quarterback? :D (crossing fingers!)

Knippz
2/29/2012, 10:47 AM
Don't cry for him too much. prissy prima donna receivers are the most common first round busts, next to the Ryan Leafs and Jamarkus Russells, of course.

The best thing for Ryan would be to go to a place that will invest in his future in ways other than a high draft pick... like say... grouping him with his college quarterback? :D (crossing fingers!)
The amount of money he lost out on because of they injury is something to cry about.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/29/2012, 10:51 AM
He really won't lose out on any money

Knippz
2/29/2012, 10:55 AM
He really won't lose out on any moneyOnly a mil or two a year. NBD.

badger
2/29/2012, 10:59 AM
Only a mil or two a year. NBD.

Slotted rookie scale means that your best bet to cash in is no longer a first round pick status, but having a solid first few years (especially in the "contract year") to get a big free agent year dealio, amirite?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/29/2012, 11:05 AM
Only a mil or two a year. NBD.

He is going to be drafted at around the same place he would have before the injury...won't cost him anything

8timechamps
2/29/2012, 01:38 PM

Me too. I don't agree that he would have been drafted as low as he will be (had it not been for the injury). He was never going to be a first round pick (on size alone), but I think he fell a round (or more) because of the ACL. He'll be a great deal for some team.

Curly Bill
2/29/2012, 01:44 PM
He is going to be drafted at around the same place he would have before the injury...won't cost him anything

I'd have to see this explained because I can't see an ACL injury not causing you to fall at least somewhat.

8timechamps
2/29/2012, 01:53 PM
I'd have to see this explained because I can't see an ACL injury not causing you to fall at least somewhat.

I know at one point Kiper had him in his top 5 WRs. While I think Kiper is a ******, he usually gets those lists pretty accurate.

StoopTroup
2/29/2012, 02:21 PM
I think Broyles will make more money by handling things the way he is. The Teams hate these holdouts. Ryan and his attitude, ability to speak and his college performance all speak for himself. The NFL has his medical records just the same as Bradford and AD. They will go after him and he'll go right about where he was scheduled to go if not higher. He's done nothing to hurt his draft status.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/29/2012, 02:29 PM

The ACL injury does not mean anything...Look back at some other guys who have had some more serious injuries than that or even similar..Willis McGahee comes to mind..ACL injury does not mean anything long term with his knee.He has enough game film to provide, they already know what he can and can't do...

stoops the eternal pimp
2/29/2012, 02:44 PM
Interesting bit of news I've picked up today...at least 3 teams have Michael Floyd as the #1 receiver in this draft now.

badger
2/29/2012, 02:47 PM
Interesting bit of news I've picked up today...at least 3 teams have Michael Floyd as the #1 receiver in this draft now.

Domer, eh? I wonder if OP is melting down over this.

Noooooooooo Blackmon number onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnee

stoops the eternal pimp
2/29/2012, 02:51 PM
They don't know yet..Unless I go tell them.

badger
2/29/2012, 03:06 PM
They don't know yet..Unless I go tell them.

Nah... they'll lurk and eventually catch on... or perhaps on Draft Day, when Blackmon is still sitting in the gallery nervously as Mel Kiper blasts GMs for not following his draft order a la Jimmy Clausen, they will realize then. Or perhaps, when the first round is nearly over and he is sweating bullets and TV cameras can't stay off him and his family and the NFL commish invites him into a private viewing area a la Brady Quinn, things will really start to heat up on OP.

Joking aside, what is changing team minds? Was it all the times I saw him drop at the Combine? Was it the forgoing of the 40 yard dash? Interviews? The DUI thing from a year ago?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/29/2012, 03:11 PM
Oh, I posted it over there...I like those guys...I haven't posted much but I'm treated well

8timechamps
2/29/2012, 04:02 PM
The ACL injury does not mean anything...Look back at some other guys who have had some more serious injuries than that or even similar..Willis McGahee comes to mind..ACL injury does not mean anything long term with his knee.He has enough game film to provide, they already know what he can and can't do...

Broyles was being considered a possible first round pick entering his senior year. There is no way his injury didn't affect his draft status. I know other players have pulled through ACL injuries, and gone on to be good players, but there is no way he falls as far as he will if he doesn't have that injury.

Althought medicine has advanced enough to properly treat ACL injuries, and enable athletes to recover and go on to play for years, there is no way a GM looks at an ACL injury and says "it's no problem, we know how good he was before the injury". Lloyds of London makes a living insuring guys against ACL/MCL/PCL injuries for that very reason.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/29/2012, 04:19 PM
I don't know who considered him a 1st round pick but everyone I know who work with teams didn't...No one is going to draft a slot receiver 1st round..That's what he is...Look at the guys who fill the top of the WR rankings..Guys are possible 1s..over 6', big builds..

This is the same thing I heard after Bradford was hurt..It's going to affect his draft status..Heard it about Gresham..

It doesn't matter..They look at their film...slot receiver with good hands, not a speed burner..Runs good routes against the zone, sits down well in coverage...I had him as a 3rd round type guy before, probably still is..

stoops the eternal pimp
2/29/2012, 04:27 PM
And I've sat with enough of these guys to know how they look at injuries..The teams doctors at the combine go through each player, especially a guy like Broyles..Is he a guy with repetitive knee injuries? Is it a degenerative issue? How is rehab going? Estimate time to get back..He isn't going to miss a season for an ACL injury from 2011...Lets go with it

stoops the eternal pimp
2/29/2012, 04:33 PM
Confirmed with a couple of guys today that Fleming is considered a top 35 pick...So anywhere from late 1st to beginning of 2nd

badger
2/29/2012, 05:11 PM
I don't know who considered him a 1st round pick

Sooner fans :)

I seriously thought that was the direction he was headed. I mean, he was the Biletnikoff Award finalist two years in a row, ran perfect routes and was about our only reliable catcher in the Meerkat offense

stoops the eternal pimp
2/29/2012, 05:27 PM
Sooner fans :)

I seriously thought that was the direction he was headed. I mean, he was the Biletnikoff Award finalist two years in a row, ran perfect routes and was about our only reliable catcher in the Meerkat offense

When he ran downfield routes, he did well...solid hands..The B award is a nice one, but look back at some past winners and finalists and see how much that meant in NFL terms..great stats...And there are some guys with similar height going in this draft(Wright), but was used in a completely different way..

Going back the last 7 years, there isn't a single receiver I can look at to compare him that was drafted in the 1st round...Some guys maybe who weren't tall, but not comparable in play..Percy Harvin is a comparable height but a different player all together.

Salt City Sooner
2/29/2012, 06:19 PM
Nah... they'll lurk and eventually catch on... or perhaps on Draft Day, when Blackmon is still sitting in the gallery nervously as Mel Kiper blasts GMs for not following his draft order a la Jimmy Clausen, they will realize then. Or perhaps, when the first round is nearly over and he is sweating bullets and TV cameras can't stay off him and his family and the NFL commish invites him into a private viewing area a la Brady Quinn, things will really start to heat up on OP.

Joking aside, what is changing team minds? Was it all the times I saw him drop at the Combine? Was it the forgoing of the 40 yard dash? Interviews? The DUI thing from a year ago?
Can't be that; Floyd has been busted twice for booze (DUI & UAC)

stoops the eternal pimp
2/29/2012, 07:20 PM
His frame..His game is his strength and physical play but some aren't sure about the 6' 207 lb frame and being able to be a top receiver in the league..Now I think Blackmon will be very successful in the league, but to draft a player top 5 or 10, you expect him to be all world...

8timechamps
2/29/2012, 10:26 PM
I don't know who considered him a 1st round pick but everyone I know who work with teams didn't...No one is going to draft a slot receiver 1st round..That's what he is...Look at the guys who fill the top of the WR rankings..Guys are possible 1s..over 6', big builds..

This is the same thing I heard after Bradford was hurt..It's going to affect his draft status..Heard it about Gresham..

It doesn't matter..They look at their film...slot receiver with good hands, not a speed burner..Runs good routes against the zone, sits down well in coverage...I had him as a 3rd round type guy before, probably still is..

I never thought he would be a first round pick (on position alone), but there were many people that thought he had that potential (Google Ryan Broyles First Round). Most of those are opinions, but I know for a fact that Mel Kiper had him as a top five WO at one point.

It has nothing to do with me being a Broyles fan, or a Sooner fan for that matter. There is no way anyone can convince me that a season ending ACL injury didn't affect his draft stock one bit. Did it move him out of the first round? No. Did it drop him further in the draft? I believe so.

PS: I love you STEP!

Curly Bill
3/1/2012, 08:45 AM
STEP is awesome, one of the best posters on here, and rarely do I disagree with him in the least, but count me as another who says an ACL injury has to cause at least some small degree of concern with teams looking at him, and hurt his draft status at least somewhat. I mean come on, all other things being equal they'd rather have a Broyles with no injury at all, versus a Broyles who has sufered that injury. And yes I am well aware of the advances in treating ACL injuries, and know it's real possible his career will be all that it would have been had he not had the injury.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/1/2012, 09:13 AM
Oh guys, it's all good to disagree with me...There was a lot more disagreeing with me when I said Bradford's injury wouldn't cost him a dime...And I will tell you one instance of a guy dropping from an ACL injury..

There was a TE from Florida a few years ago, the name escapes me, who was a pretty good prospect..Tore his ACL his senior year..Had the surgery and all the team doctors at the Combine checked him out..Found out the tendon wasn't properly placed and it could lead to a re-injury..Drops from the 2nd to the 5th round..

If the procedure wasn't done correctly, yeah that can be an issue..otherwise, not worried.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/1/2012, 09:16 AM
Kiper had Brady Quinn, Jevan Snead, and Jimmy Clausen going top 5 and that's just off the top of my head..

stoops the eternal pimp
3/1/2012, 09:23 AM
I'm going to get the phone out and see what some of the scouts/team reps are saying..

badger
3/1/2012, 09:45 AM
Kiper had Brady Quinn, Jevan Snead, and Jimmy Clausen going top 5 and that's just off the top of my head..

To be fair, practically everyone had Jevan Snead going first round till he played his final season at Ole Miss. Then drop drop drop drop drop drop :P

STEP, do players ever get into the mindset that it is their "final year" even if it isn't their final year of eligibility, then paint themselves into a corner if they have a Jevan Snead-like drop? They stop attending class (or don't try hard enough to stay eligible), secretly sign with an agent, start accepting gifts, start spending money, living like a pro before they are even drafted to the point that their college career has to be over, even if all draft projections scream STAY IN SCHOOL?

Curly Bill
3/1/2012, 09:57 AM
I'm not worried bout Broyles either, I think he's gonna have a great career. I just think he'd have likely been drafted a bit higher had he not suffered the injury. Of course it will only take one team who wants him drafting in the right spot to render that invalid.

Anyway, it feels kinda good to disagree with STEP for once! Empoyering almost! LOL

stoops the eternal pimp
3/1/2012, 10:05 AM
A lot of them do that..Not to that extent, but that's pretty much what Ronnell did..Not quite to the full extent your posting, but much of it....

stoops the eternal pimp
3/1/2012, 10:07 AM
I'm not worried bout Broyles either, I think he's gonna have a great career. I just think he'd have likely been drafted a bit higher had he not suffered the injury. Of course it will only take one team who wants him drafting in the right spot to render that invalid.

Anyway, it feels kinda good to disagree with STEP for once! Empoyering almost! LOL

Alright Bill, let me ask you this...If you were drafting Broyles and you found out the surgery was done correctly, why would it change your mind on where to draft him?

badger
3/1/2012, 10:12 AM
Alright Bill, let me ask you this...If you were drafting Broyles and you found out the surgery was done correctly, why would it change your mind on where to draft him?

Al Davis syndrome --- the want to be able to declare "I WAS RIGHT!" after the fact. It results in wtf choices that absolutely everyone will question (Hayward Bey?! Really?!?!?!) in hopes that you can go back and say "See? SEE? EVERYone was questioning MY pick, but I NEVER questioned MY pick for one moment!"

That is what would haunt me over those type of picks... being labeled insane like Al Davis.

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2012, 10:14 AM

I don't know how well Broyles has/will recover, but RGIII had a torn ACL and it hasn't exactly hurt his prospects. Although, granted, he's had longer to recover.

starclassic tama
3/1/2012, 11:53 AM
i totally agree with STEP about broyles. he was durable his entire career. bradford blows out his shoulder which is important for a QB, first overall pick. broyles has one fluke knee injury, it's not going to hurt his stock. the reason broyles isn't going in the first round is simple: 5'10, 190, likely average 40 time. now if he rips off a 4.40, his stock will increase some. but still not first round. NFL teams don't draft players high that are considered dime a dozen, and a 5'10 190 slot guy that doesn't run a 4.4 is considered dime a dozen.

with that being said, my own personal opinion is that broyles will be a good pro and impress whoever drafts him

SoonerAtKU
3/1/2012, 01:02 PM
Broyles likely won't be able to run before the draft, will he? His injury is only 4 months old at this point, right?

Sabanball
3/1/2012, 01:04 PM
Just saw where LSU qb Jordan Jefferson ranked dead last in the combine, 315th out of 315. Why am I not surprised....

badger
3/1/2012, 01:09 PM
Just saw where LSU qb Jordan Jefferson ranked dead last in the combine, 315th out of 315. Why am I not surprised....

Well, if you guys could beat him :P

stoops the eternal pimp
3/1/2012, 05:30 PM
Broyles likely won't be able to run before the draft, will he? His injury is only 4 months old at this point, right?

He is already running according to Broyles and recently ran a 4.7 40...From him.

8timechamps
3/1/2012, 08:18 PM

I watched a little of the NFL Network coverage (when the QBs were on), and they were going on and on about Jefferson (about how strong his arm was, etc.). I don't get it. He never (and I mean NEVER) impressed me in college. I think Jamarcus Russell looked better, and we all know how that ended. I suspect Jefferson will be out of football within the next year, never to be heard from again.

8timechamps
3/1/2012, 08:18 PM
He is already running according to Broyles and recently ran a 4.7 40...From him.

Wow. Not bad for 6 months out.

Curly Bill
3/2/2012, 08:33 AM

I think in some peeps minds it might create just a shred of doubt they otherwise might not have had, and if I have Broyles and another player rated exactly equal except Broyles has had an ACL injury and the other player hasn't, I'd take the never injured player.

Still, I think Broyles in gonna have a great pro career....

badger
3/2/2012, 09:46 AM
Wow. Not bad for 6 months out.

Much better than Slo-Mo and that dude was (reportedly) not injured in his Combine runs! :D

Now... whether he'd beat the old running dude...
http://i44.tinypic.com/11ql4kn.jpg

(Czar Soonerov's work is still funny, hehe)

stoops the eternal pimp
3/2/2012, 09:53 AM
If you have followed any of the combine, you've heard the story of the DT from Memphis,346 lbs who ran the 40 in 4.87 and was very impressive in the bench press and drills..Sounds like some team near the top of the 1st is going to take a chance on him and I'm going to go ahead and predict they will regret that decision pretty quickly..

Scored a little game film from a buddy and 2 games into it, and this guy still hasn't made it into the backfield yet..

badger
3/2/2012, 10:08 AM
Sounds like some team near the top of the 1st is going to take a chance on him and I'm going to go ahead and predict they will regret that decision pretty quickly.

Sounds like an Al Davis pick, doesn't it? (may his rich senile meddling NFL owner self rest in peace, hehe) He's fast! Let's take him as soon as possible! :P

Our Sugar Bowl dancing Moe that ended up off the team was also pretty athletic too, right? If only he panned out, the NFL would have made him quite wealthy. Ah well. :(

Scott D
3/2/2012, 10:50 AM
Sounds like an Al Davis pick, doesn't it? (may his rich senile meddling NFL owner self rest in peace, hehe) He's fast! Let's take him as soon as possible! :P

Our Sugar Bowl dancing Moe that ended up off the team was also pretty athletic too, right? If only he panned out, the NFL would have made him quite wealthy. Ah well. :(

Al would draft Travis Benjamin

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/2/2012, 01:45 PM
STEP is awesome, one of the best posters on here, and rarely do I disagree with him in the least, but count me as another who says an ACL injury has to cause at least some small degree of concern with teams looking at him, and hurt his draft status at least somewhat. I mean come on, all other things being equal they'd rather have a Broyles with no injury at all, versus a Broyles who has sufered that injury. And yes I am well aware of the advances in treating ACL injuries, and know it's real possible his career will be all that it would have been had he not had the injury.

You are being way too logical about this. You have to remember that the NFL has all sorts of "house rules" that go into grading prospects. These house rules cap how high a player can go regardless of how good the player is in relation to his draft peers. Broyles by light of being a slot receiver and small is 3rd round max in their minds. At that point, all of his negatives and positives are graded against the 3rd round projectees. In that light, as long as he has 2 arms and 2 legs, he is better than any of them regardless of injury since production weights heavily for WRs.

Luckily for Broyles, he's never been viewed as "slow" like Welker was. Had that happened he'd have a 7th round cap and most likely be an UDFA.

Curly Bill
3/2/2012, 01:53 PM
You are being way too logical about this. You have to remember that the NFL has all sorts of "house rules" that go into grading prospects. These house rules cap how high a player can go regardless of how good the player is in relation to his draft peers. Broyles by light of being a slot receiver and small is 3rd round max in their minds. At that point, all of his negatives and positives are graded against the 3rd round projectees. In that light, as long as he has 2 arms and 2 legs, he is better than any of them regardless of injury since production weights heavily for WRs.

Luckily for Broyles, he's never been viewed as "slow" like Welker was. Had that happened he'd have a 7th round cap and most likely be an UDFA.

Way too logical? Hmmmm I don't even know what to say. I'm not sure I totally back off what I've previously said but you've done a good job of explaining why maybe I should. Ima think about that some.

badger
3/2/2012, 02:12 PM

In a nutshell, everyone's arse is on the line if they do anything outta line. Unless you are Jerry Jones or Al Davis, you can't afford to step outta line on a hunch or a whim or a gut feeling or even strong beliefs and feelings.

You draft on measurables, on game tape, on what people expect you to do, or they'll fire you on it at the slightest sign of trouble.

Alas, I was born a girl... and short... and little... so I never had a chance with the NFL scouts :(

CowboyMRW
3/2/2012, 05:59 PM
Kiper had Poe, DT from Memphis I believe is his name, all the way up to 15 on his big board last I checked

8timechamps
3/2/2012, 06:47 PM
If you have followed any of the combine, you've heard the story of the DT from Memphis,346 lbs who ran the 40 in 4.87 and was very impressive in the bench press and drills..Sounds like some team near the top of the 1st is going to take a chance on him and I'm going to go ahead and predict they will regret that decision pretty quickly..

Scored a little game film from a buddy and 2 games into it, and this guy still hasn't made it into the backfield yet..

The guy has come outta nowhere, and it's all because of his speed (I've got to admit, that's really quick for such a big body). However, I don't follow the logic of some of the scouts. Kiper has the guy in his top 15, and Scouts, Inc. has him #14. To be that high on the board, you'd think he would have been heard from last season.

I'll join you in saying he'll be a regretful selection. I'd take a proven commodity in Fletcher Cox (Miss. State), or even Jerel Worthy (Michigan State) over Poe. With my luck, the Broncos will take him with their first pick.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/2/2012, 07:32 PM
Kiper had Poe, DT from Memphis I believe is his name, all the way up to 15 on his big board last I checked

3 games into his last season..Still hasn't gotten into a backfield..Looks lazy

starclassic tama
3/2/2012, 08:31 PM
he's a flavor of the month type guy, much like darius heyward-bey when he ran a 4.3 or whatever at 6'2 210. people see that and they go wow, but they don't stop to think is this guy even a good football player?

CowboyMRW
3/2/2012, 08:51 PM
The guy has come outta nowhere, and it's all because of his speed (I've got to admit, that's really quick for such a big body). However, I don't follow the logic of some of the scouts. Kiper has the guy in his top 15, and Scouts, Inc. has him #14. To be that high on the board, you'd think he would have been heard from last season.

I'll join you in saying he'll be a regretful selection. I'd take a proven commodity in Fletcher Cox (Miss. State), or even Jerel Worthy (Michigan State) over Poe. With my luck, the Broncos will take him with their first pick.

Please don't put that juju on the Broncos haha

he's a flavor of the month type guy, much like darius heyward-bey when he ran a 4.3 or whatever at 6'2 210. people see that and they go wow, but they don't stop to think is this guy even a good football player?

DHB had a decent season this year. Almost 1000 yards, however only 4 TDs, but it wasn't that bad. With Carson out there I can see things definitely improving for him.

starclassic tama
3/2/2012, 09:08 PM
DHB had a decent season this year. Almost 1000 yards, however only 4 TDs, but it wasn't that bad. With Carson out there I can see things definitely improving for him.not bad for the 7th overall pick! no wait, that sucks. bust.

8timechamps
3/2/2012, 09:17 PM
Please don't put that juju on the Broncos haha

Believe me, I'm a 12 year season ticket holder, and I've seen them make about every bad draft move that can be made. In other words, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Frozen Sooner
3/2/2012, 09:45 PM
To be fair, practically everyone had Jevan Snead going first round till he played his final season at Ole Miss. Then drop drop drop drop drop drop :P

STEP, do players ever get into the mindset that it is their "final year" even if it isn't their final year of eligibility, then paint themselves into a corner if they have a Jevan Snead-like drop? They stop attending class (or don't try hard enough to stay eligible), secretly sign with an agent, start accepting gifts, start spending money, living like a pro before they are even drafted to the point that their college career has to be over, even if all draft projections scream STAY IN SCHOOL?

Jerald Moore?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/2/2012, 09:53 PM
Way too logical? Hmmmm I don't even know what to say. I'm not sure I totally back off what I've previously said but you've done a good job of explaining why maybe I should. Ima think about that some.

What I mean is that your statements make sense. Unfortunately, the NFL tends to follow a flowchart that makes no sense which is why a moron like Kiper can still have a job after 20 years. If everyone in the league thought for themselves, there is no way that anyone could predict the 1st round with any accuracy.

VA Sooner
3/3/2012, 08:34 AM
After the game-winning TD catch and sprint to the endzone against the Pokes two years ago, he has my interest and hope he does well in the draft/next level.

8timechamps
3/3/2012, 08:37 PM
What I mean is that your statements make sense. Unfortunately, the NFL tends to follow a flowchart that makes no sense which is why a moron like Kiper can still have a job after 20 years. If everyone in the league thought for themselves, there is no way that anyone could predict the 1st round with any accuracy.

It seems that the top 15-20 players are decided every year before the first college game of their senior year (or in the case of juniors, the first game before there junior year). Mel Kiper is an information collector. Nothing more. Somehow, he's turned that into a multi-million dollar career. I wish I had thought of it.

cccasooner2
3/3/2012, 09:33 PM
It seems that the top 15-20 players are decided every year before the first college game of their senior year (or in the case of juniors, the first game before there junior year). Mel Kiper is an information collector. Nothing more. Somehow, he's turned that into a multi-million dollar career. I wish I had thought of it.

You don't have the goofy hair.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/4/2012, 01:17 AM
Hey before there was Kiper, you had to wait until the day after draft day to read about the draft in the newspaper. Almost no coverage of it.

Kiper made the draft a spectator sport.

CowboyMRW
3/4/2012, 02:45 AM
not bad for the 7th overall pick! no wait, that sucks. bust.

I wouldn't write him off yet. Yes, he was drafted way too early, but he's steadily improving.

8timechamps
3/4/2012, 06:19 PM

I'd take it too. I'm bald. Shave my head every day bald.

cccasooner2
3/5/2012, 08:49 PM
I guess Frank is OK.

Frank Alexander ‏ @ frankalex84
GOD IS GOOD! The doctors found nothing! I have NO heart conditions! Thank all y'all for the prayers and support. Ready to back at it!

stoops the eternal pimp
3/6/2012, 03:30 PM
Sounds like the Rams want 3 1st round picks for 2nd pick in this draft..

Lots of Pro Days going this week...Almost too much to keep up with.

Curly Bill
3/6/2012, 03:32 PM
Sounds like the Rams want 3 1st round picks for 2nd pick in this draft..

Lots of Pro Days going this week...Almost too much to keep up with.

Gotta start your asking price out high right, always knowing you can back up a bit. That is a bit much to ask right?

badger
3/6/2012, 03:58 PM
Gotta start your asking price out high right, always knowing you can back up a bit. That is a bit much to ask right?

I think the Browns are more than willing to offer their two first rounders this year for a potential fan energizing, franchise changing quarterback like RG3.

Sorry Colt, but we all knew the long ball was never your strong suit and as such, you'll never be solid NFL starter. I mean, five yard pass and you're the man! Five yard pass to Jordan Shipley and you're money! But... you have neither Jordan nor the option to do nothing but five yard out routes, so your time as Cleveland's starter is up.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/6/2012, 04:06 PM
I might have already mentioned in this thread, but not going back to look..1 top 10 pick's agent has said they are not sure what to do if Cleveland picked them because they did not want to go there..said the Browns were committed to mediocrity and Colt McCoy was the example.

I like Colt by the way, those were his words.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/6/2012, 04:07 PM

Depends I guess..I guess it has to do with more how important it is that you get RG3 for your team and how many other team needs you have..You are doing fairly well at other positions but need a QB, I say go for it..

NYC Poke
3/6/2012, 05:14 PM

He can go buy some, just like Kiper does.

badger
3/6/2012, 05:26 PM
Depends I guess..I guess it has to do with more how important it is that you get RG3 for your team and how many other team needs you have..You are doing fairly well at other positions but need a QB, I say go for it..

A few RG3 questions:

1- Is the salary thing that big of a deal, or are teams just going to go with whatever they think will be the best quarterback fit for their team? I'm talking about a rookie wage scale salary versus free agents like Matt Flynn or potentially Peyton Manning.

2- Are the Rams only going for more draft picks, or could there be some big ol' package involving players? If so, any targets?

3- Will the market change drastically for the No. 2 pick once free agency starts?

A really stupid thought: The Texas A&M Aggies must be doing inappropriate things to sheep imagining a scenario where almighty Tannehill replaces evil whorn Colt in Cleveland as the starter. Then again, the Baylor Bears might be doing excessive drinking of Dr. Pepper thinking of almightly RG3 replacing evil whorn Colt.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/7/2012, 09:31 AM
1. Depends on the team..Some teams are in a win ASAP mode..Seattle is willing to not only sign Manning and Wayne, but to change their offense to what he is more comfortable with and pretty much let him run the show..Miami will sell their souls to win right now...Other teams know that they don't have the pieces right away to make a playoff run and are looking long term..

2. Draft picks so far..

3. I don't think so.

Curly Bill
3/7/2012, 09:35 AM
I might have already mentioned in this thread, but not going back to look..1 top 10 pick's agent has said they are not sure what to do if Cleveland picked them because they did not want to go there..said the Browns were committed to mediocrity and Colt McCoy was the example.

I like Colt by the way, those were his words.

I guess he's a decent enough dude for a whorn, but anyone that ever thought he had the arm strength to be a good NFL QB was obviously high.

badger
3/7/2012, 11:42 AM
I guess he's a decent enough dude for a whorn, but anyone that ever thought he had the arm strength to be a good NFL QB was obviously high.

Colt seems like a nice enough guy for a whorn (and whorns say the same thing about Sammie, so it's all mutual and stuff), but he was accurate only up to like 10 yards... and you can't be an NFL starter off of itty bitty widdle passes. Bawww, aren't they sooo coot. :P

CowboyMRW
3/9/2012, 02:38 PM
I think Blackmon solidified himself as a top 5 pick today. Turned in a 4.39 unofficial and 4.41, 4.42, and 4.46 officially. Definitely will be the first receiver taken.

Weeden also should be the 3rd qb taken in this draft.

picasso
3/9/2012, 02:52 PM
I think Blackmon solidified himself as a top 5 pick today. Turned in a 4.39 unofficial and 4.41, 4.42, and 4.46 officially. Definitely will be the first receiver taken.

Well that's one last chance for the pokes to jizz their pants.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/9/2012, 02:53 PM
Biggest news out of OSU pro day is Peyton Manning was in town for a minute

stoops the eternal pimp
3/9/2012, 02:55 PM

I think it is most likely him but there isn't a definite on first receiver taken..

CowboyMRW
3/9/2012, 03:05 PM
I think it is most likely him but there isn't a definite on first receiver taken..

You thinking Floyd?

I think Floyd has potentially a bigger upside, but I don't think he has the discipline or dedication to fully reach his ceiling.

starclassic tama
3/9/2012, 03:20 PM
floyd is a huge receiver with the same speed as blackmon. blackmon is not quite as big as the way he plays, so some scouts wonder if he will be able to be that physical at the next level.

that is a great time for blackmon though, i think he will be a good one

stoops the eternal pimp
3/9/2012, 03:22 PM
You thinking Floyd?

I think Floyd has potentially a bigger upside, but I don't think he has the discipline or dedication to fully reach his ceiling.

Do I think Floyd should be? No..But there 3 teams with him as the 1st receiver and a handful that have Ashlyn Jeffery up there..If I was gonna go Dean Blevins on this, I would say there is a 65% chance it's Blackmon

Scott D
3/9/2012, 03:24 PM
Do I think Floyd should be? No..But there 3 teams with him as the 1st receiver and a handful that have Ashlyn Jeffery up there..If I was gonna go Dean Blevins on this, I would say there is a 65/45 chance it's Blackmon

ywia ;)

CowboyMRW
3/9/2012, 03:30 PM
Do I think Floyd should be? No..But there 3 teams with him as the 1st receiver and a handful that have Ashlyn Jeffery up there..If I was gonna go Dean Blevins on this, I would say there is a 65% chance it's Blackmon

Floyd I can understand a bit, but not Jeffery. I think he's bust all the way. He's a big-bodied receiver though who for whatever reason did not have a good year this year. Why doesn't he go back to SC and come out next year. Odds are he'll be the top WR next year with a good offseason and in-season. His work ethic seems to be lacking though, and then there's the whole incident in their bowl game.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/9/2012, 03:32 PM
Floyd I can understand a bit, but not Jeffery. I think he's bust all the way. He's a big-bodied receiver though who for whatever reason did not have a good year this year. Why doesn't he go back to SC and come out next year. Odds are he'll be the top WR next year with a good offseason and in-season. His work ethic seems to be lacking though, and then there's the whole incident in their bowl game.

Well the QB situation at SC was pretty awful this last year...I don't like his mental makeup at all, but some teams never learn.

hawaii 5-0
3/9/2012, 03:34 PM
As a lifelong Browns fan (Lord, it ain't easy) I hope they get RG3.

5-0

stoops the eternal pimp
3/9/2012, 03:46 PM
I'll tell you some things RG3 said after the draft is over about Cleveland..I will tell you I will be very suprised to see those work something out..If I can make things worse for you, the Browns are already planning on going after Tannehill if it doesn't work out with RG3

badger
3/9/2012, 03:46 PM
As a lifelong Browns fan (Lord, it ain't easy) I hope they get RG3.

5-0

Sometimes I wonder if the rust belt is enduring too much considering how hard some areas have fallen from their glory days.

And then I remember that some areas never had glory days, so screw Detroit et al :P

The Browns need some glory days to reward your Dawg Pound loyalists. Cleveland, on the other hand, can keep sending its jobs and people to Oklahoma and the rest of the south :D

MI Sooner
3/9/2012, 04:38 PM
Sometimes I wonder if the rust belt is enduring too much considering how hard some areas have fallen from their glory days.

And then I remember that some areas never had glory days, so screw Detroit et al :P

The Browns need some glory days to reward your Dawg Pound loyalists. Cleveland, on the other hand, can keep sending its jobs and people to Oklahoma and the rest of the south :D

Detroit sucks now. It's no Green Bay, which come to think of it, is probably the best thing it has going for it.

starclassic tama
3/9/2012, 05:00 PM
I'll tell you some things RG3 said after the draft is over about Cleveland..I will tell you I will be very suprised to see those work something out..If I can make things worse for you, the Browns are already planning on going after Tannehill if it doesn't work out with RG3tannehill's draft stock is shocking to me. i know he is a very athletic guy, but i rarely if ever saw him throw in games and said to myself, that guy is an NFL quarterback. maybe he is a diamond in the rough, who knows

badger
3/9/2012, 05:06 PM
I think Blackmon solidified himself as a top 5 pick today.

Oh really?

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20120309_93_0_STILLW100266)

I don't think the scouts care how fast you run if you drop the ball!!!!

People aren’t going to like the two drops he had, but he answered the speed question.

CowboyMRW
3/9/2012, 06:05 PM
I'll tell you some things RG3 said after the draft is over about Cleveland..I will tell you I will be very suprised to see those work something out..If I can make things worse for you, the Browns are already planning on going after Tannehill if it doesn't work out with RG3

Speaking of Cleveland, I've heard JB and Weeden both linked there in several reports. Any chance of Cleveland nabbing both of them and they can continue to play together.

CowboyMRW
3/9/2012, 06:12 PM
Oh really?

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20120309_93_0_STILLW100266)

I don't think the scouts care how fast you run if you drop the ball!!!!

I'm not worried about the drops. I only remember seeing one dropped ball today, and Weeden actually made a poor throw on it, but nonetheless should be caught. Many people were worried about his speed though which he more than answered today imo. He may or may not go top 5, I just think he will. Maybe I should revise and say Top 15. I think he'll be an excellent receiver for whichever team decides to draft him though.

And then there's this

http://cache1.bigcartel.com/product_images/54141887/300.jpg

olevetonahill
3/9/2012, 07:03 PM
He can go to Hell fer all I care :congratulatory:

Salt City Sooner
3/9/2012, 08:21 PM
STEP, have you heard anything about Richardson possibly falling through the cracks? I have to admit that I'd love seeing him taking handoffs from Dalton & being the P.A. weapon for Green, but I think they'll have to trade up to get him (can't see him getting past K.C. at latest ) which is a rare occurence to say the least for Cincy.

Eielson
3/9/2012, 09:12 PM

I don't think the DHB pick is looking too bad right now, either. I wouldn't write somebody off that is as talented as he is after just three seasons, especially when he's just coming off a near 1,000 yard season. His stats look a little better than Crabtree's. I remember when everybody was calling Vernon Davis a bust...

Eielson
3/10/2012, 12:44 PM
UNC LB Zach Brown ran a 4.45 time at 6'1" 244 lbs..very impressive

He obviously had a great combine, but do you have any opinion on him as a player, and where do you see him being drafted?

Also, I feel that there have been a lot of great OLB's (maybe LB's in general) to be had late in the first round in recent years (Matthews and Cushing to name two off the top of my head). Am I correct in thinking that, or have there been several busts I'm not thinking of? And is this just a case of everybody wanting to fill more important positions with their high picks?

Salt City Sooner
3/10/2012, 02:29 PM
He obviously had a great combine, but do you have any opinion on him as a player, and where do you see him being drafted?

Also, I feel that there have been a lot of great OLB's (maybe LB's in general) to be had late in the first round in recent years (Matthews and Cushing to name two off the top of my head). Am I correct in thinking that, or have there been several busts I'm not thinking of? And is this just a case of everybody wanting to fill more important positions with their high picks?
Aaron Curry & Larry English off the top of my head are recent 1st round busts. I'm a Bengals fan, so I naturally give him a bit more latitude, but I'm also really close to putting Keith Rivers in that category as well, although to be fair, his situation has been due to injuries moreso than bad play.

Eielson
3/10/2012, 04:28 PM
Aaron Curry & Larry English off the top of my head are recent 1st round busts. I'm a Bengals fan, so I naturally give him a bit more latitude, but I'm also really close to putting Keith Rivers in that category as well, although to be fair, his situation has been due to injuries moreso than bad play.

There are definitely going to be busts at every position, but if we're going to bring in early and mid first rounders* into the equation, we can also add in people like Willis, Ware, Merriman, Suggs, etc. who all went in the 10-15ish range.

I just found a website (last year, so slightly out of date) that analyzed this a little bit, and it said there have been 15 LB's drafted in the first round since 2006. It listed 8 as "hits" (Cushing, Matthews, Mayo, Willis, Timmons, Beason, Hawk, Greenway), 4 as "busts (Rivers, Sims, Lawson, and Carpenter - and they considered the first three as serviceable, just not first round worthy), and 3 as TBD (Curry, McClain, and Weatherspoon). Looking a year forward, I think most would agree to classify Curry as a bust, and McClain and Weatherspoon as a hits, making the hit/miss ratio 10:5. That's seems like pretty good odds to me (67% chance of getting a perennial pro-bowler). I'd love to see something like this on second rounders, though. There have been several guys like Laurinaitis and Ryans go as one of the first picks of the second round. LB is one of the easiest positions for an undrafted FA to succeed at, but it also appears to be pretty easy for a first round LB to come in and make a big impact right away. As the website put it, if you pick a LB early, there is a good chance you will strike gold.

*I originally thought Cushing was picked in the 20's, so I guess he wasn't really a late first rounder after all. It turns out that since 2006, only 3 LBs have been drafted in the 20's (Matthews, Beason, and Carpenter). I really wonder about the early second round, though.

StoopTroup
3/10/2012, 05:57 PM
Dez "I love to rob jewelry stores" Bryant is a huge bust IMO. I'll take Miles Austin and trade Bryant and his out of control ego in a blink of an eye. That guy is crazy.

8timechamps
3/10/2012, 06:45 PM
Dez "I love to rob jewelry stores" Bryant is a huge bust IMO. I'll take Miles Austin and trade Bryant and his out of control ego in a blink of an eye. That guy is crazy.

Certainly not an impressive rookie year, but I'll wait another year or two before calling him a bust.

As for busts, I always question whether or not Reggie Bush is really a bust. He never ended up being the unbelievable player he was in college, but he's been a pretty solid contributor to the teams he's been on. It's hard for me to call a guy like that a bust, but given how highly he was hyped, I can also see why some consider him a bust.

Eielson
3/10/2012, 07:39 PM
As for busts, I always question whether or not Reggie Bush is really a bust. He never ended up being the unbelievable player he was in college, but he's been a pretty solid contributor to the teams he's been on. It's hard for me to call a guy like that a bust, but given how highly he was hyped, I can also see why some consider him a bust.

You want more than a "pretty solid contributor" from the #2 pick in the draft who was given a huge contract. When you include the contract (that could have been used on somebody else), nothing more than a solid contributor actually ends up being a negative for the team. That being said, he played well last year. As of right now, he's a huge bust.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/13/2012, 02:52 PM
Interesting happenings since the combine, the Janoris Jenkins love fest is officially over since his visits with more teams..And that bodes well for Fleming..Jenkins interview skills have dropped him from the first to the 3rd.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/13/2012, 09:18 PM
Ram fans, I'm hearing rumors about t rich from Alabama being their guy in this draft

StoopTroup
4/13/2012, 11:57 PM
Ram fans, I'm hearing rumors about t rich from Alabama being their guy in this draft

Guess we will see. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Eielson
4/14/2012, 01:07 AM

You think he'll slip past Cleveland? I sure wouldn't mind. Then again, I don't think we can really go wrong between Kalil, Claiborne, Blackmon, or Richardson. I think I'll be happy unless we do something crazy like draft Poe.

It sounds like we'll definitely be picking a RB in the first three rounds, though. Supposedly Schottenheimer wants to run a 2-back system, and we don't really have a second guy.

SoonerAtKU
4/16/2012, 08:52 AM
Jackson needs some reliable help, that's for sure. Those are hard miles for a guy that runs like he does. Rams fans have been waiting for a quality RB to come along for years now.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/16/2012, 09:11 AM
You think he'll slip past Cleveland? I sure wouldn't mind. Then again, I don't think we can really go wrong between Kalil, Claiborne, Blackmon, or Richardson. I think I'll be happy unless we do something crazy like draft Poe.

It sounds like we'll definitely be picking a RB in the first three rounds, though. Supposedly Schottenheimer wants to run a 2-back system, and we don't really have a second guy.

Rams are trying to work on a deal with the Browns for their pick to make sure that they get him..

Bourbon St Sooner
4/16/2012, 12:05 PM
Rams are trying to work on a deal with the Browns for their pick to make sure that they get him..

Do you think that's a good idea STEP? RB's seem to be a dime a dozen these days. The Saints last year traded up to draft Ingram and it kind of seems like a waste. We've got 2 UDFA's better than him.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/16/2012, 12:34 PM
I am not a fan of it, but he is really on the rise...One scout said he is the strongest RB he has ever seen...

OULenexaman
4/16/2012, 12:48 PM
He has good....no GREAT hands and poses as another WR threat out of the backfield.

Salt City Sooner
4/16/2012, 03:26 PM
Speaking of Mr. Richardson, he moved up a notch or 2 with me on this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUlBK_MyzaM

Class move, Trent.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/16/2012, 03:42 PM
The Rams need somebody that can stretch the field. They've got plenty of people that can catch short passes. Check that, they've got plenty of guys that can drop short passes.

Not too mention a few OL that can actually block would be useful. As a semi-Rams (really just an SB) fan, I don't like it.

Eielson
4/16/2012, 09:15 PM

I hope this doesn't happen. I'd love Richardson at 6, but I think we'd have to give up way too much to move up 2 spots. Somebody I'd love to have has to be available in the top 6, and two if Tannehill sneaks into the top 6. BTW, do you think it's likely Tannehill will go that high? I've been hearing some rumors, but I'm not sure how accurate they are.

Frozen Sooner
4/16/2012, 10:36 PM
I am not a fan of it, but he is really on the rise...One scout said he is the strongest RB he has ever seen...

He was widely quoted down here as not knowing how much he could bench, as the strength coaches wouldn't let him max out.

swardboy
4/17/2012, 11:23 AM
So how fast can he do the 40 on his hands?

MI Sooner
4/17/2012, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure how relevant it is to playing CB in the NFL, but I just noticed that Fleming has the best 60 yard shuttle time (http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012&workout=SIXTY_YARD_SHUTTLE&position=QB-RB-WR-TE-S-DL-LB-CB-OL-SPEC) among all participants in the last seven NFL combines.

Curly Bill
4/17/2012, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure how relevant it is to playing CB in the NFL, but I just noticed that Fleming has the best 60 yard shuttle time (http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012&workout=SIXTY_YARD_SHUTTLE&position=QB-RB-WR-TE-S-DL-LB-CB-OL-SPEC) among all participants in the last seven NFL combines.

I'd say it's much more relevant than how much a RB can bench.

BoulderSooner79
4/17/2012, 03:00 PM

I would think it is relevant since it measures both speed and acceleration. Just a drill, but he is scoring higher than the guys he will cover.