PDA

View Full Version : An interesting experiment in Iowa will tell a lot about . . .

Jacie
2/24/2012, 08:02 PM
. . . sa*et.

I found this gem over on The News Wire, an underutilized section of Sooner Fans that you really should check out daily.

Former sa*et OC, Greg Davis, has been hired by Kirk Ferentz to be his new OC.

In case you have a short memory, GD was often the scapegoat of whorn fans everytime their team faltered. He was accused of running predictable offenses and not utilizing their quarterbacks' strength or style of play. It was said that Mack Brown was loyal to a fault, keeping GD too long past his prime. Davis was let go prior to last season as part of the shakeup that began with Will Muschamp leaving for Florida (but not before poisoning the well in Austin) in what was assumed to be GD being put out to pasture.

Well, apparently Kirk Ferentz thinks there are some miles left in that old war horse and is giving Davis the opportunity to do it for him. So now we may all get to observe firsthand whether the whorn offensive breakdowns were the result of Greg Davis' playcalling or if it was Mack Brown's influence over him. If Davis does well at Iowa, you have to think Mack will be second-guessing himself and wondering if bringing in Bryan Harsin was such a good idea.

yermom
2/24/2012, 08:05 PM
i heard Ferentz was hiring Venables next

8timechamps
2/24/2012, 09:32 PM
Greg Davis is just a horrible OC. Whether it's college or in the pros. I really don't know how this guy keeps landing on his feet, but more power to him I guess.

badger
2/25/2012, 06:44 PM
I think greg and mack were both in coasting to retirement while collecting big paychecks mode before greg was made the scapegoat.

Really, texas' big offensive woes started and finished with the doughboy offensive line. When they recruit nothing but the fattest oline in texas (perhaps favors to high school pipeline places, hmm??) then you are going to suck. They couldnt block for the run, they couldnt block for passing, they couldnt block for sack sack sack.

But cmon. Texas sucking is far too much fun to watch for it to end... and if greg succeeds at iowa, the meltdown in austin would be wonderful.

So perhaps, the doughboy offense will work in the big ten. Hell, thats basically what they in the midwest, hehe

85sooners
2/25/2012, 06:48 PM
Davis can call a game!

TheHumanAlphabet
2/27/2012, 02:21 PM
I'm guessing we won't see much change at Iowa in offense than what they previously had...

BBQ Man
2/27/2012, 05:58 PM
He's had great offenses and horrible offenses. I'm curious to see what happens at Iowa, though I agree with TheHumanAlphabet that I don't think it will change much.

goingoneight
2/28/2012, 12:27 AM
An offense only goes as far as the players you develop. Mike Leach would have been canned for the 2010 Tejas offense.

prrriiide
2/28/2012, 01:18 AM
Davis' offense will fit in better in the B1G than in asstin.

StoopTroup
2/28/2012, 02:16 AM
I don't see an experiment. I see desparation in Iowa almost as deep as in Austin.

cleller
2/28/2012, 07:44 PM
Those two programs seem to have a lot in common right now. They're on autopilot, expecting to prosper due to some historic content.

I think Kirk could do more at UT than Mack right now, but who cares?