PDA

View Full Version : NCAA moves kickoffs from 30-yard line to 35

JLEW1818
2/24/2012, 01:00 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- Kickoffs in major college football will move from the 30 to the 35-yard line next season, a change intended to keep players safer.

The change was approved this week by the NCAA playing rules oversight panel, which also said the running start by players on the kicking team will be limited to 5 yards.

The NFL moved up kickoffs 5 yards this past season and touchbacks increased dramatically. Another new NCAA rule involving free kicks will move touchbacks from the 20 to the 25-yard line, a move intended to encourage more touchbacks.

The panel also approved a rule that will require a player who loses his helmet during a play to leave the game for one play, and there are also new guidelines regarding blocking below the waist and blocking on punt returns. Players will also be prohibited from leaping over blockers when trying to block punts.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7611324/ncaa-moves-kickoffs-30-yard-line-35

LVSOONER15
2/24/2012, 01:03 PM
My guess is that there will be alot more touchbacks.

badger
2/24/2012, 01:07 PM
My guess is that there will be alot more touchbacks.

Unless you're the University of Oklahoma :(

JLEW1818
2/24/2012, 03:40 PM
I don't think we have ran a TD back since DM7 against Tulsa in 2007?

I'm pretty sure we have given up the most kickoff return for tds in the last 4 years. This rule does nothing but helps OU.

jkjsooner
2/24/2012, 03:58 PM
I hate it that they're reducing one of the most exciting parts of football. I understand the injury concerns though.

Punts are more likely to be exciting anyway.

I do wonder if the move to the 25 yard line could have the opposite effect by encouraging teams to kick just short of the endzone and try to pin the team within the 25 yard line. Since the kicking team doesn't have as far to go they might think they have a better chance of defending the kickoff.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/24/2012, 04:15 PM
Didn't they just move it from the 35 to 30 a few years ago, to encourage more kick off returns? I thought the reasoning was that it would be more exciting.

MeMyself&Me
2/24/2012, 04:23 PM
I hate it that they're reducing one of the most exciting parts of football. I understand the injury concerns though.

Punts are more likely to be exciting anyway.

I do wonder if the move to the 25 yard line could have the opposite effect by encouraging teams to kick just short of the endzone and try to pin the team within the 25 yard line. Since the kicking team doesn't have as far to go they might think they have a better chance of defending the kickoff.

I'm wondering if we'll see that too. I hope so but I doubt it. More than likely, the kickoff has just become a ceremonial affair. Might as well just spot the ball at the 25 instead of bothering with the kick off. That sure as hell would stop injuries during kickoff plays.

yermom
2/24/2012, 04:25 PM
Didn't they just move it from the 35 to 30 a few years ago, to encourage more kick off returns? I thought the reasoning was that it would be more exciting.

it hasn't been that long.

the move to the 25 seems odd though. i guess they want to keep more returners from taking the ball out of the endzone?

Dan Thompson
2/24/2012, 05:41 PM
Next year they are going to do away with the kick-offs completely and just start play on the 35. Teams will not longer need a kick-off specalist or a return man.

goingoneight
2/24/2012, 06:07 PM
I support the kickoff move, but dislike the touchback move to the 25. Oh, well. No biggie.

This won't help OU's kick coverage when their kickers can't kick the ball any deeper than the 15-yard line (Moreland, Way, sometimes O'Hara).

TheUnnamedSooner
2/24/2012, 06:13 PM
I think they are only making the touchback move to the 25 on free kicks. Isn't free kicks only right after safties? Regular kick offs would be still be the 20.... Am I misunderstanding?

goingoneight
2/24/2012, 06:16 PM
I might've skimmed over that part. I remember hearing a rumor about this said rule change back in December that said they'd move touchbacks to the 25.

You still have to have a hell of a leg to get regular touchbacks and great coverage. Five yards means those kickoffs that are bouncing at the 1 right now will bounce four yards deep in the EZ. JUUUUUST enough into the EZ to make that cocky WR think twice about running out against guys like the Hammer.

budbarrybob
2/24/2012, 06:28 PM
In other news, The NCAA has issued a new rule stating that tackling can be performed using the "Two Below" technique.

8timechamps
2/24/2012, 06:57 PM
Kick-offs in college football will resemble kick-offs in the NFL. Rarely will there be returns. I hate that the change had to be made, but I understand why it was made.

This will certainly help my blood pressure this coming season.

ouwasp
2/24/2012, 06:59 PM

Yeah, I remember rolling my eyes when I heard the reasoning... and thinking The NCAA is giving the hot-dogs a chance to make a play, but they'd better not celebrate!

Somebody more industrious than me or TheUnnamedSooner needs to seek out when this rule was first changed... didn't the NCAA know-it-alls consider the safety factor back then?

8timechamps
2/24/2012, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I remember rolling my eyes when I heard the reasoning... and thinking The NCAA is giving the hot-dogs a chance to make a play, but they'd better not celebrate!

Somebody more industrious than me or TheUnnamedSooner needs to seek out when this rule was first changed... didn't the NCAA know-it-alls consider the safety factor back then?

Very true. Just goes to show you how disconnected they are (or at least were).

MamaMia
2/26/2012, 12:15 AM
I'm all for anything within reason that helps prevent injuries. These rules seem fair.

Jason White's Third Knee
2/26/2012, 09:32 AM
If they move it to the forty we might get lucky and get it in to the end zone.

I am all for taking all kicking out of the game. *Kicking field goals ruins football. Defense does their job and keeps the offense out of the end zone and some jackhole soccer player from ecuador trots on to the field ? Boo! Extra points just suck. They are routine and only serve to make us mad at kids like Jimmy stevens when they don't hit every single one.

*Uwe's tOSU kick excluded.

Jason White's Third Knee
2/26/2012, 09:35 AM
Wait. You can't jump over a blocker to block a punt? Uhhh. Pretty sure that is attempted every single punt.

jumperstop
2/26/2012, 09:42 AM
Wait. You can't jump over a blocker to block a punt? Uhhh. Pretty sure that is attempted every single punt.
I think it's you can't use your teammate to help propel you upward.

As for the kickoff change, it's whatever. But why is nobody talking about the touchback rule? That seems like the bigger change to me and I think it sucks. Changes way to much of the game...What makes you think you can just change the rules of a sport? How long has the touchback been on the 20?

MeMyself&Me
2/26/2012, 09:54 AM

As for the kickoff change, it's whatever. But why is nobody talking about the touchback rule? That seems like the bigger change to me and I think it sucks. Changes way to much of the game...What makes you think you can just change the rules of a sport? How long has the touchback been on the 20?

I agree, that's the bigger issue with me. But with to two rules together, I don't think we're going to see very many return attemps... kickoffs have become a ceremony.

BoulderSooner79
2/26/2012, 05:13 PM
They change the rules almost every year, this is no different. And college often follows the changes the NFL makes, but not always as in this case. I do think there will still be plenty of kick returns attempted. We saw that in the NFL (do they kick from the 40 now?). At first, teams just took the touchback. But I notice more and more guys running it out from deep in the endzone. If a guy gets tackled at the 17 and loses 3 yards compared to a touchback, that's not enough of a risk compared to the reward of a big return. College may be more conservative with the touchback at the 25, but I still think the playmakers will bring it out anyway.

Okie35
2/26/2012, 06:01 PM
no big deal

StoopTroup
2/26/2012, 06:37 PM
I'm all for anything within reason that helps prevent injuries. These rules seem fair.

So you are letting Schmitty off the hook finally? :D

TheUnnamedSooner
2/27/2012, 01:43 PM

No, that rule is already in place. The new rule has come about with the new punt formations in which the kicking team uses a 3-man "gate" in front of the kicker. Many times you will see the defense rush and try and jump over the gate to block the punt. Although no one got hurt doing this, they decided to make this a rule because many times the defender would land on his head.

HateTheWhorns
2/27/2012, 05:01 PM
In other news, The NCAA has issued a new rule stating that tackling can be performed using the "Two Below" technique.

I think you misunderstood the explanation of this rule. The way I understand it is as follows: "The returning party may proceed in a forward direction until such time that one of his two flags has been pulled away from the flag belt by the defender.";)