PDA

View Full Version : Moving into a new house

oudavid1
2/23/2012, 06:38 PM
having a house built and moving in soon. Just wondering if you guys had any advice on things that I might need that is commonly over-looked. Got the basics and just looking for some advice from you guys who have probably done this before. I haven't. Lived with my parents in the same house my whole life. Now that me and some friends are getting this new place just looking for advice.

olevetonahill
2/23/2012, 07:06 PM
BEER , Nuff said

yermom
2/23/2012, 07:11 PM
advice?

don't buy a house with friends.

yermom
2/23/2012, 07:12 PM
advice?

oudavid1
2/23/2012, 07:13 PM
advice?

Dont worry, I posses very slight risk.

olevetonahill
2/23/2012, 07:14 PM
Dont worry, I posses very slight risk.
Yea RIGHT

oudavid1
2/23/2012, 07:16 PM
Yea RIGHT

Seriously. Lol my job is just get the beer! :eek:

Jacie
2/23/2012, 07:26 PM
Don't forget to sign up with a reputable home security service such as Smith & Wesson . . .

SanJoaquinSooner
2/23/2012, 07:40 PM
It's more expensive to hire someone to put in a yard and irrigation system than you might think.

oudavid1
2/23/2012, 07:53 PM
Don't forget to sign up with a reputable home security service such as Smith & Wesson . . .

Lol i got you covered. My buddy has a Desert Eagle :eek: and I got an a .45 (not mine)

It's more expensive to hire someone to put in a yard and irrigation system than you might think.

Noted, thank you very much. We had talked about installing one ourselves for that reason!

oudavid1
2/24/2012, 09:28 AM
Bump for those just getting to work :D

badger
2/24/2012, 09:49 AM
Sh!t will break, even if the house is new. Plan to have an emergency fund... of both money and beer. You never know when you'll need the money. Or the beer.

Keep said money and beer hidden away so that you are not tempted to spend/drink it, nor allow it to fall into others' hands lest they spend/drink it first.

It doesn't need to be beer if beer is not your cup of tea. Just have something close by so that when everything goes wrong, be it something breaking, your roomates being arseholes, work/school/??? being awful, you will be able to chillax a bit.

oudavid1
2/24/2012, 09:53 AM
Sh!t will break, even if the house is new. Plan to have an emergency fund... of both money and beer. You never know when you'll need the money. Or the beer.

Keep said money and beer hidden away so that you are not tempted to spend/drink it, nor allow it to fall into others' hands lest they spend/drink it first.

It doesn't need to be beer if beer is not your cup of tea. Just have something close by so that when everything goes wrong, be it something breaking, your roomates being arseholes, work/school/??? being awful, you will be able to chillax a bit.

Thank you very much Badger! Checks in the mail. (not really :D )

Boomer.....
2/24/2012, 10:05 AM
If the house is new, it will have a 1 year warranty on everything. The home builder should fix any problems for free.

badger
2/24/2012, 10:11 AM
Thank you very much Badger! Checks in the mail. (not really :D )

The inspiration behind this post is the fact that our shower leaked when NP was outta town, it was late at night and I have been in and outta the doctor's office lately so was really in no condition to repair it... but I really didn't have any choice, either. It was after dark so I didn't want to call a repair dude and I had seen NP repair it before so I thought I could handle it if I had enough patience.

After solving about a 20-step problem via long division (with a remainder and not a decimal and the paper ripped from erasing and x'ing out the multiplication by hand process), I was so furious with the situation that I was thankful that on a whim, I had gotten a random can of Pringles the last time I was grocery shopping, just because I had never seen cheddar sour cream Pringles before. That can was devoured immediately. I slept well afterward and wasn't as angry cuz of it :D

If it comes up:

1- Turn off the water. There's some twisty tool that you can turn the crank next to the road with... which way do you turn it? Guess. If you can see the meter under all of the winter crud that has assembled under the little manhold cover, if you've guessed corrected, the number has stopped moving. This is, of course, assuming you have the patience to watch if a little number is moving and it's light enough out for you to see said number.

2- Remove chrome sh!t. There's the handle that you turn the water on with, the parts underneath... just keep going till you reach a likely icky, decaying washer.

3- Remove the icky, decaying washer after letting out a big "Ewwww."

4- Did I mention you should have taken a trip to a hardward store and gotten a washer repair kit? A few dollars or less. Find one that fits the washer area and put a new one in.

5- If you have an older shower thingie, it can be a bit crappy to put everything back together. In fact, mine is still not 100 percent assembled because the pieces are a bit stripped looking. However, to make the shower functional again, you will need to have the cranks re-installed, so that is the important part.

6- Closing the shower curtain just in case you made a terrible error and don't want a flooded bathroom by the time you return, turn the water back on.

7- The leak should be stopped... or, you just didn't turn the water back on. Test it just to be sure you have the water on.

8- Eat an entire can of Pringles in one sitting.

oudavid1
2/24/2012, 10:13 AM
If the house is new, it will have a 1 year warranty on everything. The home builder should fix any problems for free.

Yes, thank you! The builder is a friend of a friend and has built houses for a lot of people we know and we have a good relationship. Fingers crossed for minimum problems. :eek:

oudavid1
2/24/2012, 10:14 AM
The inspiration behind this post is the fact that our shower leaked when NP was outta town, it was late at night and I have been in and outta the doctor's office lately so was really in no condition to repair it... but I really didn't have any choice, either. It was after dark so I didn't want to call a repair dude and I had seen NP repair it before so I thought I could handle it if I had enough patience.

After solving about a 20-step problem via long division (with a remainder and not a decimal and the paper ripped from erasing and x'ing out the multiplication by hand process), I was so furious with the situation that I was thankful that on a whim, I had gotten a random can of Pringles the last time I was grocery shopping, just because I had never seen cheddar sour cream Pringles before. That can was devoured immediately. I slept well afterward and wasn't as angry cuz of it :D

If it comes up:

1- Turn off the water. There's some twisty tool that you can turn the crank next to the road with... which way do you turn it? Guess. If you can see the meter under all of the winter crud that has assembled under the little manhold cover, if you've guessed corrected, the number has stopped moving. This is, of course, assuming you have the patience to watch if a little number is moving and it's light enough out for you to see said number.

2- Remove chrome sh!t. There's the handle that you turn the water on with, the parts underneath... just keep going till you reach a likely icky, decaying washer.

4- Did I mention you should have taken a trip to a hardward store and gotten a washer repair kit? A few dollars or less. Find one that fits the washer area and put a new one in.

5- If you have an older shower thingie, it can be a bit crappy to put everything back together. In fact, mine is still not 100 percent assembled because the pieces are a bit stripped looking. However, to make the shower functional again, you will need to have the cranks re-installed, so that is the important part.

6- Closing the shower curtain just in case you made a terrible error and don't want a flooded bathroom by the time you return, turn the water back on.

7- The leak should be stopped... or, you just didn't turn the water back on. Test it just to be sure you have the water on.

Sounds like a nightmare! My best friends dad is a plumber/contractor, I might just have him show me some ropes sometime.

badger
2/24/2012, 10:36 AM
Yes, thank you! The builder is a friend of a friend and has built houses for a lot of people we know and we have a good relationship. Fingers crossed for minimum problems. :eek:
I'm not talking about the roof caving in, I'm talking about minor sh!t like the washer/shower problem I described. Maybe a roommate decides to flush an entire bucket of KFC down your upstairs bathroom sink and now the rooms below are flooded. Maybe a roommate decides to boil water for pasta right underneath the smoke detector and even after turning it down a bit the smoke detector won't stop screaming at you. Maybe a roommate decided to get a dog without informing the rest of you and the dog just turned everything in the house into a chew toy or bathroom.

oudavid1
2/24/2012, 10:38 AM
I'm not talking about the roof caving in, I'm talking about minor sh!t like the washer/shower problem I described. Maybe a roommate decides to flush an entire bucket of KFC down your upstairs bathroom sink and now the rooms below are flooded. Maybe a roommate decides to boil water for pasta right underneath the smoke detector and even after turning it down a bit the smoke detector won't stop screaming at you. Maybe a roommate decided to get a dog without informing the rest of you and the dog just turned everything in the house into a chew toy or bathroom.

Baseball. Bat.

SoonerTerry
2/24/2012, 10:44 AM
having a house built and moving in soon. Just wondering if you guys had any advice on things that I might need that is commonly over-looked. Got the basics and just looking for some advice from you guys who have probably done this before. I haven't. Lived with my parents in the same house my whole life. Now that me and some friends are getting this new place just looking for advice.

This part concerns me

oudavid1
2/24/2012, 10:45 AM
This part concerns me

Its complicated but I have faith in it. Don't worry.

SoonerTerry
2/24/2012, 10:47 AM
Its complicated but I have faith in it. Don't worry.

Just as long as you can afford the payments on your income alone.

oudavid1
2/24/2012, 10:50 AM
Just as long as you can afford the payments on your income alone.

I can, i am getting an amazing (once in a lifetime , or at least it feels that way) deal. The situation is that I am basically going to get paid to live there and take care of the place for my cousin who is actually buying it. He works a lot and far away so I will pay very little and basically just take care of his place. We are roughly the same age and grew up together and are very close. He really just wants me there and dosnt really need the money. But I offered to pay because I am ready to be on my own.

badger
2/24/2012, 10:59 AM
Baseball. Bat.

This part concerns me.

oudavid1
2/24/2012, 11:13 AM
This part concerns me.

I'll try taking the batteries out first :D

deweydw
2/24/2012, 12:58 PM
If you don't have them already. A lawn mower, edger, and weed eater. Change your a/c filters every 300-500 hrs. Clean the dishwaher once a month.

Run the dishwasher empty with a bottle of this.
http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/spin_prod_529439401?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

oudavid1
2/24/2012, 01:22 PM
If you don't have them already. A lawn mower, edger, and weed eater. Change your a/c filters every 300-500 hrs. Clean the dishwaher once a month.

Run the dishwasher empty with a bottle of this.
http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/spin_prod_529439401?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

you sir, are awesome! thank you so much!

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2012, 02:37 PM

If it comes up:

nice....ummm...usually there is a water shut off in the house though..and new ones have a big "circuit" board with the plex hose going to every faucet...therefor you can just shut of that ONE faucet...sweet deal..

yes, I know you were being sarcastic..:playful:

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2012, 02:40 PM
oh...LEARN to do stuff yourself...google is your friend...it's rewarding and cheaper..after the warranty ends...

rock on sooner
2/25/2012, 12:57 PM
BEER , Nuff said COLD beer! FIFY.

Turd_Ferguson
2/25/2012, 01:03 PM
He really just wants me there and dosnt really need the money. But I offered to pay because I am ready to be on my own.I call bull****...

oudavid1
2/27/2012, 02:06 AM
oh...LEARN to do stuff yourself...google is your friend...it's rewarding and cheaper..after the warranty ends...

I am so for this!

I call bull****...

I know it sounds crazy, but some people really like me. I am shocked too.

badger
2/27/2012, 08:32 AM

Word. And you'll treat stuff with more respect and appreciate stuff more if you're maintaining it and stuff.

cleller
2/28/2012, 03:11 PM
Get new, stainless steel hoses for the washer if you don't have them already. Get ready to throw a fit over window coverings. We got some of these sheer shade/blinds kind of stuff special ordered thru Lowes for the bedrooms and living room. Then got the much less expensive Levelor shades for the rest of the window. They cut them to fit at Lowes while they are still in the box.

oudavid1
2/28/2012, 06:33 PM
Thank you very much!

101sooner
2/28/2012, 06:41 PM
If we have anything resembling last years heat wave, spend the 20-40$ for soaker hoses to protect your foundation. Make absolutely certain you water evenly around the foundation.

oudavid1
2/28/2012, 06:45 PM
If we have anything resembling last years heat wave, spend the 20-40$ for soaker hoses to protect your foundation. Make absolutely certain you water evenly around the foundation.

Brilliant! Thank you sir!