PDA

View Full Version : Norvell possible violations

TheUnnamedSooner
2/21/2012, 02:03 PM
Via the twit. My guess/hope is he meant for these to be private... Not major violations.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2012/2/21/2814321/oklahoma-coach-jay-norvell-twitter-commits-recruit-violations-ncaa?sct=hp_t2_a4

Feb 21, 2012 - Oh, the perils of social media. College coaches probably wish they could just go back to the days of U.S. Mail and the telephone. Oklahoma coach Jay Norvell likely does, after he apparently failed to understand the difference between tweeting at a recruit and sending the recruit a direct message. The direct message feature of Twitter is private, but tweeting at an unsigned prospect is both public and a potential NCAA violation, though minor. Let's take a look at Norvell's tweets:

@10justscoredThis is Coach Jay Norvell from Oklahoma. Cel (405) 431-9954 Would like to offer you a Full Scholarship to Oklahoma. Call me!

— Jay Norvell (@CoachJayNorvell) February 21, 2012

That's Norvell tweeting at Rashaad Samples, a receiver out of Dallas Skyline High School. Norvell is considered an excellent recruiter for his work in Texas and California. He coaches offense for Oklahoma. And he's also going to need a new cell phone number after tweeting his out. The tweets have since been deleted, but not before screencaps were grabbed.

StoopTroup
2/21/2012, 02:06 PM
Has anyone called Jay's # yet? LOL

badger
2/21/2012, 02:08 PM
Dare someone to call that number :)

Double dog dare ya! [/christmasstory]

TheUnnamedSooner
2/21/2012, 02:10 PM
This all started from a tech site. From what I've heard, he has been prank called numerous times.

StoopTroup
2/21/2012, 02:14 PM
I just called it. Someone answered "This is Brent...GO TIGERS!".

Boomer.....
2/21/2012, 02:22 PM
If this is a violation, I hope Jay wouldn't be that stupid.

SoonerNutt
2/21/2012, 03:04 PM
If this is a violation, I hope Jay wouldn't be that stupid.

I assume the only area of concern is that coaches are not allowed to publicly discuss any unsigned recruits. I doubt this would result in much interest from the NCAA, as it was clearly unintentional, but who knows?

yermom
2/21/2012, 03:11 PM
David needs to give him some Twitter lessons

KantoSooner
2/21/2012, 03:20 PM
That's IT!!!!!!

OUDavid can become the team's 'Social Media Coordinator'. As such, he would conduct training and would coach OU's players on the finer points of Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and blog posting. Also he would help them through general email and internet access and use with an emphasis on Xbox and Madden tactic sites.

It's made for him!

BeaSooner
2/21/2012, 03:39 PM
He could also be Special Teams coach, right?

StoopTroup
2/21/2012, 04:39 PM
That's IT!!!!!!

OUDavid can become the team's 'Social Media Coordinator'. As such, he would conduct training and would coach OU's players on the finer points of Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and blog posting. Also he would help them through general email and internet access and use with an emphasis on Xbox and Madden tactic sites.

It's made for him!

So....$250,000.00 per year? :D

KantoSooner
2/21/2012, 05:18 PM
Yes, but in Monopoly money.
And not an official position.
But he'd have access, man, access...

LVSOONER15
2/21/2012, 05:27 PM
Seems like a hack to me. Pretty dumb if true though.

oudavid1
2/21/2012, 07:09 PM
He could also be Special Teams coach, right?

OH MY GOD.....You guys would have me killed in a week.

StoopTroup
2/21/2012, 07:15 PM
We'll throw in box seats for Aggie games if you take the job.

olevetonahill
2/21/2012, 07:23 PM

Just what makes you think you would last that long ?

westbrooke
2/21/2012, 08:30 PM
I'm assuming this is just a violation of the "slap on the wrist" variety. But is anyone else amused by the juxtaposition of this story with another recent recruiting quirk? A coach doesn't know how to use Twitter = NCAA violation. A school stuffs a recruit's mailbox with 105 letters = the bleeding edge of recruiting tactics. At most, these are both worthy of a good laugh, a sorry shake of the head, or a "back in my day..." lament about the evolution of technology and college football.

yermom
2/21/2012, 08:51 PM

what do you know about blocking, tackling and kicking FGs? :D

northspeter
2/21/2012, 09:09 PM
Seems like a hack to me. Pretty dumb if true though. his account has reportedly been hacked...

agoo758
2/21/2012, 09:22 PM
"The number you dialed is not a working number"........ :(.......... I just couldn't resist. :D

cccasooner2
2/21/2012, 09:43 PM
his account has reportedly been hacked...

12345?

StoopTroup
2/21/2012, 09:54 PM
Cam Newton's Father = $200,000 in cash

Reggie Bush's parents = $750,000 Home

Nevin Shapiro of Miami Booster Club = God only knows how much

Jay Norvell = Tweeted to a recruit that he'd like to give him a Scholarship

What an outrage

8timechamps
2/21/2012, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to find out these were authentic (from his account). From what I've read, they look like they were meant to be some kind of private message, but ended up as public.

It appears to be a legit secondary violation, but I seriously doubt the NCAA would do anything about it. Maybe a blast email to all athletic departments about "how to use social media" or something of that nature. And a warning.

Certainly nothing was done to gain an advantage in recruiting.

oudavid1
2/22/2012, 09:38 AM
Just what makes you think you would last that long ?

lol :D

what do you know about blocking, tackling and kicking FGs? :D

That I couldn't do any of those things in high school! :-P

MI Sooner
2/22/2012, 12:56 PM
Just to clarify, would sending a private message have been a violation? Is the only problem that these were (presumably) accidentally sent as publicly available?

oumartin
2/22/2012, 04:13 PM
Will Bob suspend him indefinately until he can show that he can use tweeter in a responsible manner?

TheUnnamedSooner
2/22/2012, 06:10 PM
12345?

That's the same combination on my luggage!

StoopTroup
2/22/2012, 08:03 PM
FREE JAY NORVELL !

8timechamps
2/22/2012, 08:29 PM
Just to clarify, would sending a private message have been a violation? Is the only problem that these were (presumably) accidentally sent as publicly available?

If the message was private, there would have been no issue (like an email). Coaches aren't allowed to address or discuss recruits by name until they have signed an LOI. I think this is only an accidental violation. That's why I think it'll just be a warning (if that).

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/22/2012, 08:55 PM
I'm assuming this is just a violation of the "slap on the wrist" variety. But is anyone else amused by the juxtaposition of this story with another recent recruiting quirk? A coach doesn't know how to use Twitter = NCAA violation. A school stuffs a recruit's mailbox with 105 letters = the bleeding edge of recruiting tactics. At most, these are both worthy of a good laugh, a sorry shake of the head, or a "back in my day..." lament about the evolution of technology and college football.

Most of the time, the NCAA bars you from recruiting that kid. Don't know if you consider that a slap on the wrist or not...

AzianSooner
2/22/2012, 09:42 PM
Is it too late to call that number? I have a full load of bags to give. His receivers keep dropping the balls.

soonerfan4life
2/22/2012, 10:13 PM
that one slipped by Compliance

OU_Sooners75
2/22/2012, 10:53 PM
I assume the only area of concern is that coaches are not allowed to publicly discuss any unsigned recruits. I doubt this would result in much interest from the NCAA, as it was clearly unintentional, but who knows?

The worst thing that would happen is OU can no longer recruit the players the message went to.

As long as OU does not continue to recruit them and/or offer them a scholarship, then nothing will happen or come of this.

OU_Sooners75
2/22/2012, 10:55 PM
Most of the time, the NCAA bars you from recruiting that kid. Don't know if you consider that a slap on the wrist or not...

Samples really isn't that good. I mean he is good, but not something OU should be wasting their time on this recruiting season, considering the class OU just signed.

That said, maybe it was done deliberately since Samples' dad is the HC of Dallas Skyline? And with Skyline being a OU pipeline.....who knows.

OU_Sooners75
2/22/2012, 10:57 PM

Sending it privately would not be a violation.

picasso
2/22/2012, 11:09 PM
I can't believe that is Norvell's actual way of making an official offer. That's gotta be a joke.

8timechamps
2/23/2012, 12:03 AM
I can't believe that is Norvell's actual way of making an official offer. That's gotta be a joke.

That's what I keep coming back to. It's not like Norvell hasn't recruited for years. The more I think about it, the more I think he had nothing to do with it.

westbrooke
2/23/2012, 12:58 PM

Then my assumption was clearly wrong because, no, that's not a slap on the wrist. I'm with 8timechamps on this - I don't see how this could be interpreted as gaining an advantage in recruiting these players. I'm doubling-down on my assertion that this is more worthy of a laugh or shake of the head than an NCAA offense.

SoonerTerry
2/23/2012, 04:20 PM

silver lining...

northspeter
2/23/2012, 08:20 PM
thats not how offers are doled out... if an offer is not made in person, i.e. on a visit... then it usually happens via the college coach calling the kids highschool coach and telling him to have the kid call him back.. and the offer is made over the phone... also this is a no contact period, so thats the only way you are allowed contact is if the kid calls you... so in this case even a private message wold be a violation... but i still believe it was a hacking job... also, the date that Norvell reportedly gave the kid for the junior day in the tweets was wrong as well... all-in-all it just doesnt add up...

goingoneight
2/24/2012, 06:09 PM
So, is he going to come out with a statement that his Tweeter was hacked?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/26/2012, 10:11 PM
Then my assumption was clearly wrong because, no, that's not a slap on the wrist. I'm with 8timechamps on this - I don't see how this could be interpreted as gaining an advantage in recruiting these players. I'm doubling-down on my assertion that this is more worthy of a laugh or shake of the head than an NCAA offense.

The biggest problem with this line of thinking is Rick Neuheisel. Rick was the master of the "innocent" mistake because he was following the letter of the law. Like being at a recruits house a second time (NCAA Violation) but talking to him on the phone because that was permissable. He brought up every NCAA exception to rules as his defense against why he was justified. Intent should be the difference between a minor or major violation, but the punishment for the type of violations needs to be equivalent regardless of intent.

westbrooke
2/27/2012, 11:44 AM
The biggest problem with this line of thinking is Rick Neuheisel. Rick was the master of the "innocent" mistake because he was following the letter of the law. Like being at a recruits house a second time (NCAA Violation) but talking to him on the phone because that was permissable. He brought up every NCAA exception to rules as his defense against why he was justified. Intent should be the difference between a minor or major violation, but the punishment for the type of violations needs to be equivalent regardless of intent.

Well, I certainly wouldn't want us in any way associated with Rick Neuheisel. Even typing his name makes me want to wash my hands and bleach the keyboard...