swardboy
2/21/2012, 01:33 PM
Man I hope he comes back 100%.

badger
2/21/2012, 01:50 PM
He has a scholarship :D

badger
2/21/2012, 01:57 PM
Joking aside (although he really does have a scholarship now), the latest is that he's outta spring drills.

Link (http://newsok.com/ou-football-neck-injury-will-sideline-center-ben-habern-for-spring-practice/article/3644793?custom_click=masthead_topten)

Staff is hopeful that he'll be ready to go in August.

Whaley was also honored by some random SI guy yesterday as part of the "two star (and fewer)" team :)

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/02/20/all-two-star-team/index.html)

RB Dominique Whaley, Sr., Oklahoma (Zero stars in Class of 2008): In the All Two-Star (And Fewer) hierarchy, walk-ons trump two-stars. (For some reason, there are no one-stars.) Furthermore, walk-ons who came from nowhere trump preferred walk-ons who were well known to the coaching staff for which they eventually played. For that reason, Oklahoma's Whaley -- a former Subway Sandwich Artist -- will be one of the 2012 team's co-captains. Whaley, an Army brat, never lived in one place long enough to establish himself as a player. Whaley played as a freshman at Langston, an NAIA school near Oklahoma City, but he left school when his parents were deployed to Iraq and Whaley moved to Texas to help his grandmother care for his siblings. He walked on at Oklahoma as a complete unknown. After practices in 2010, he walked across the street and made $5 footlongs. During those practices, Whaley shredded Oklahoma's defense. In 2011, he led the Sooners in rushing with 627 yards despite playing only six full games. Whaley's season ended when he broke his ankle on the first play of the Kansas State game. He'll miss spring practice, but Whaley is expected to return for preseason camp. The good news? He's been rehabbing this semester as a scholarship player.

Boomer.....
2/21/2012, 02:01 PM
He made the SI All-Two Star Team:

RB Dominique Whaley, Sr., Oklahoma (Zero stars in Class of 2008): In the All Two-Star (And Fewer) hierarchy, walk-ons trump two-stars. (For some reason, there are no one-stars.) Furthermore, walk-ons who came from nowhere trump preferred walk-ons who were well known to the coaching staff for which they eventually played. For that reason, Oklahoma's Whaley -- a former Subway Sandwich Artist -- will be one of the 2012 team's co-captains. Whaley, an Army brat, never lived in one place long enough to establish himself as a player. Whaley played as a freshman at Langston, an NAIA school near Oklahoma City, but he left school when his parents were deployed to Iraq and Whaley moved to Texas to help his grandmother care for his siblings. He walked on at Oklahoma as a complete unknown. After practices in 2010, he walked across the street and made $5 footlongs. During those practices, Whaley shredded Oklahoma's defense. In 2011, he led the Sooners in rushing with 627 yards despite playing only six full games. Whaley's season ended when he broke his ankle on the first play of the Kansas State game. He'll miss spring practice, but Whaley is expected to return for preseason camp. The good news? He's been rehabbing this semester as a scholarship player.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/02/20/all-two-star-team/index.html#ixzz1n2p23llh

StoopTroup
2/21/2012, 02:32 PM
I liked that SI bikini.

swardboy
2/21/2012, 02:55 PM
They put Whaley in a bikini? :disillusionment::disillusionment:

BoulderSooner79
2/21/2012, 03:13 PM
They put Whaley in a bikini? :disillusionment::disillusionment:

Yes, but he won't be ready to wear it for spring drills.

StoopTroup
2/21/2012, 04:48 PM
I darn sure don't think he'll be able to wear the one I'm talking about. :D

DCsooner22
2/21/2012, 04:56 PM
'Round these parts, "SI" means Smithsonian Institution. For a second there, I thought he was being honored at the American History museum for being one of the best walk-ons in OU history.

Then, I remembered that it had to be sports illustrated.... oh well.... :)

VA Sooner
2/21/2012, 08:12 PM
Having Whaley back brings the offense back to where it was supposed to be. Need that to keep defenses up close and free up the receivers again. Hope we're working with the new RB recruits this spring already and bringing them up to speed quickly... so to speak.

StoopTroup
2/21/2012, 09:56 PM
Man I hope he comes back 100%.

I'm hoping for 110% :D

8timechamps
2/21/2012, 10:47 PM
I really thought he would be able to go by the spring. I guess it was a pretty nasty break though, maybe 5 months is too soon.

goingoneight
2/22/2012, 01:05 PM
Stoops has been known to hold his best guys out of Spring practice to keep them from re-injuring themselves. Spring is about putting the young guys out there and seeing where they're at development-wise anyway.

nativesooner
2/22/2012, 02:15 PM
He's doing well! Wasn't going to play in the Spring whether he was ready or not because they want to be cautious with it. He does plan on being ready come two-a-days :)

LakeRat
2/22/2012, 03:56 PM
So excited for him next fall.