PDA

View Full Version : This Bill Clinton thing on Frontline/PBS

cleller
2/20/2012, 10:16 PM
For lack of anything else, I turned on Frontline for a few minutes and watched the Bill Clinton show they have on. Frontline is well done, and usually interesting. While I was watching, they were covering Clinton's whoring around while governor of Arkansas, as well as his draft dodging. I made it through about 10 minutes before I was tired of looking at him.
Clinton was a very good politician, but a lousy person. He got by because he is a political willow. Bends to the current climate, doesn't let any hint of a backbone get in his way. He was actually pretty effective as a president- because he'd do anything for 51%.

I decided that if he were ever stranded on the side of the road with car trouble, I'd drive right by. He and Ted Kennedy. As a life-long Republican I'd have stopped for Gore, Dukakis, Obama, Hillary, Jimmy Carter, Tip O'neil, probably even Nancy Pelosi. But Bill Clinton? He'd steal your jumper cables, fondle your daughter, and stiff you on the gas.

soonercruiser
2/20/2012, 10:40 PM
Chapter 2 is even worst???
:nonchalance:

hawaii 5-0
2/20/2012, 11:08 PM
Teflon Willie.

He was also Slick Willie.

He lived up to his handles.

5-0

Curly Bill
2/21/2012, 08:46 AM
For lack of anything else, I turned on Frontline for a few minutes and watched the Bill Clinton show they have on. Frontline is well done, and usually interesting. While I was watching, they were covering Clinton's whoring around while governor of Arkansas, as well as his draft dodging. I made it through about 10 minutes before I was tired of looking at him.
Clinton was a very good politician, but a lousy person. He got by because he is a political willow. Bends to the current climate, doesn't let any hint of a backbone get in his way. He was actually pretty effective as a president- because he'd do anything for 51%.

I decided that if he were ever stranded on the side of the road with car trouble, I'd drive right by. He and Ted Kennedy. As a life-long Republican I'd have stopped for Gore, Dukakis, Obama, Hillary, Jimmy Carter, Tip O'neil, probably even Nancy Pelosi. But Bill Clinton? He'd steal your jumper cables, fondle your daughter, and stiff you on the gas.

Clinton I would drive right by, Ted Kennedy I would have run over.

Breadburner
2/21/2012, 08:48 AM
I would have nailed them all.....

Midtowner
2/21/2012, 09:15 AM
I would have nailed them all.....

--Bill Clinton, 1995

C&CDean
2/21/2012, 09:58 AM
--Bill Clinton, 1995

Heh.

pphilfran
2/21/2012, 10:24 AM
--Bill Clinton, 1995

lol

SanJoaquinSooner
2/21/2012, 10:43 AM
I miss him. That's one reason I wanted Hillary to win. It would have been great for him to be back in the White House.

He seemed to love the job. That wasn't apparent with Dubya and it isn't with Obama.

hawaii 5-0
2/21/2012, 10:46 AM
I miss him. That's one reason I wanted Hillary to win. It would have been great for him to be back in the White House.

He seemed to love the job. That wasn't apparent with Dubya and it isn't with Obama.

If the Pugs don't get it together you might get your wish in 2016 when Hillary takes over for Obama.

5-0

47straight
2/22/2012, 10:34 PM

I think I see a lot of Clinton in Newt, good and bad. Which is why I think maybe he'd be a good president. Just enough of a bastard to get things done.

hawaii 5-0
2/22/2012, 11:53 PM
I think I see a lot of Clinton in Newt, good and bad. Which is why I think maybe he'd be a good president. Just enough of a bastard to get things done.

Thanks for the laugh. He couldn't control the House when he was in charge.

Neither side of Congress can stand the man. The Lobbyists will love him.

He's like Elmer Fudd with a better tie.

5-0

jkjsooner
2/23/2012, 09:38 AM
The funny thing about Clinton was that he was pretty conservative when it came to economic issues - at least if you take out the universal healthcare initiative which went nowhere anyway. Clinton played a key role in the march towards more financial deregulation (to a fault in my opinion) and also encouraged and passed welfare reform.

Personal issues aside, I think many of the right's anti-Clinton stances were misguided. If they were going to live with a Democrat they couldn't have done much better than Clinton policy wise.

That being said, I didn't follow every detail of the Clinton administration so I'd bet there are plenty who will disagree with my statements here. I mention these to foster discussion not to say that I am all knowledgable about the topic.

Curly Bill
2/23/2012, 09:54 AM
While not at all a Clinton fan I will admit that compared to the current batch of donks, including the head donk, Clinton wasn't/isn't half bad.

olevetonahill
2/23/2012, 10:15 AM
If I had been married to hillary Id of been boinking every thing also.

badger
2/23/2012, 10:16 AM
stiff you on the gas

I've heard that Democrats are notorious stiffs on tipping and paying bills while out campaigning or being political. Here would probably be a good place for a "they don't like spending their own money" joke, I guess.

I remember hearing that she was Hillary Rodham back when Bill was Arky's governor, then she was Hillary Rodham Clinton during his presidential runs, then of course, when she tried her own run in 2008, the Rodham was completely gone and she was just Hillary Clinton.

I always thought that a strong personality like Hillary should be too strong to put up with Bill's adultering crap... but perhaps she strong in some ways, weak in others.

Personal issues aside, I think many of the right's anti-Clinton stances were misguided. If they were going to live with a Democrat they couldn't have done much better than Clinton policy wise.

In retrospect, Clinton's tenure seemed to be successful because George HW Bush got the ball rolling on tax increases to solve the financial problems that Clinton then continued when he took office, then the Republicans found their way again with the Contract with American (then unfortunately lost their way almost immediately after taking the office, but at least their intentions were good I guess), and the Clinton versus Republican Congress meant a lot of give and take and compromise on both sides.

In any event, the adultery disgusts me, but Clinton's era on top was not a bad economic one for America.

hawaii 5-0
2/23/2012, 10:30 AM
Honesty wasn't Clinton's strong suit.

His economic policy allowed my mutuals to rise so I could afford a downpayment on a house.

5-0

Ton Loc
2/23/2012, 01:44 PM
Things that make you a good president-
Good economy, no wars to speak of, smaller media and internet coverage = Americans happy

I was in junior high and high school for his presidency. So of course he was a good president. Plus, his character was killer on SNL.

BillyBall
2/23/2012, 02:11 PM
I thought that PBS did a really good job on the documentary. Probably focused a little too much on Monica Lewinsky, but it was an interesting piece of work. One thing people can't deny is that he is an intelligent mother****er.

KantoSooner
2/23/2012, 03:09 PM
Let's all be clear on one thing.

1. The gridlock between Clinton and Congress caused virtually all of what Billy had planned to do to be postponed or ultimately cancelled.

2. The advent of distributed micro-computing (ie, the PC) not only into offices but onto the factory floor generated an unprecendented rise in productivity. nothing comparable had been seen since the advent of the industrial revolution 200 years before.

3. The above, coupled with a vast expansion of participation in and activity on the stock exchanges of the world generated huge wealth and taxes.

4. The entry of the rapidly industrializing countries outside of Europe, N. America and Japan and the reintroduction of China to the world market added huge new top line and bottom line money to the world economy.

These four generating the boom of the 1990's. Not Clinton or anything he did.

An Irish Setter with strong command of 'Stay!' could have done as well as Bill did plus/minus 0.5% GNP.

Mississippi Sooner
2/23/2012, 03:16 PM
2. The advent of distributed micro-computing (ie, the PC) not only into offices but onto the factory floor generated an unprecendented rise in productivity. nothing comparable had been seen since the advent of the industrial revolution 200 years before.

And then the advent of Facebook pretty much killed that new productivity deader than a door knob.

KantoSooner
2/23/2012, 03:46 PM
That and Match.com

sad, really.

soonercruiser
2/23/2012, 04:03 PM
By the way...
With Hillary out of town so much, who is Bill "Matching.com" with these days?
:playful:

LiveLaughLove
2/23/2012, 07:18 PM
Clinton was as liberal as he could be for the first two years. He lost the Congress because of it, and he was politically smart enough to roll with the punches.

Gingrich bailed him out, and his Presidency ended up not being too bad economically. He is a master manipulator and narcissist to an almost pathological level.

He is also a criminal that was too smart to ever get completely caught. He and his people covered the 'bimbo eruptions' with napalm like efficiency and didn't care who they hurt. I would never want him back in office.

I have always said, I would shake any Presidents hand even if I couldn't stand him, just because of my respect for the office. I have amended that. There's no telling where Clinton's hand has been.

soonercruiser
2/23/2012, 09:47 PM
That post is "dripping" with sarcasm!
;)

But, Clinton and Ted Kennedy did get themselves out of some sticky situations.