PDA

View Full Version : They're Back!!!!!!

okie52
2/20/2012, 02:14 PM
Immigrants trickling back to Ala despite crackdown

February 19, 2012|Jay Reeves, Associated Press

Ana Jimenez and her husband were so terrified of being sent back to their native Mexico when Alabama’s tough crackdown on illegal immigrants took effect that they fled more than 2,000 miles to Los Angeles, cramming into a two-bedroom apartment with more than 20 other relatives.

Now they are among the families coming back to cities like Birmingham, as the mass deportations never materialized and courts blocked parts of the law. No one knows how many people initially left the state, so it’s impossible to say how many have returned. But some illegal immigrants are trickling back, unable to find work elsewhere and missing the place that had been home for years.

Of 18 Hispanic immigrants interviewed by The Associated Press in the Birmingham area, six said they had friends or relatives who had returned to Alabama after fleeing because of the law.

As for Jimenez, she left Birmingham with her husband, father and brother three days after the law took effect. Now, all except her brother are back. Jimenez said through a translator that not much had changed, though she can’t reclaim her job at a McDonald’s restaurant because managers are checking citizenship papers.

“Everything is the same. I just can’t work now,’’ Jimenez said through a translator. She said the family is living off the income of her husband, who installs carpet and flooring.

The Obama administration, immigrant groups and others sued over Alabama’s law, and the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is set to consider arguments about it on March 1. The U.S. Supreme Court will hear oral arguments a month later over Arizona’s crackdown on illegal immigration, which isn’t considered as strict as Alabama’s.

Republicans who supported the crackdown had said they hoped the tough provisions — which made it difficult if not impossible to legally find work and housing, among other things — would force people to “self-deport’’ and move out of the state.

Among those who self-deported were Verenece Flores and her husband. They sold their home in metro Birmingham and moved with their three young children to Chicago. But the couple, originally from Mexico and living in the U.S. without legal documents, also could not find work, and relatives told them people weren’t being deported after traffic stops as some had feared.

The family is staying with relatives and doesn’t have their own place, and Flores remains “a little scared’’ of the law. But she said she was happy to be back. Flores had lived here for 15 years before the short move to Chicago, and her children are happier and her husband is back working construction jobs.

badger
2/20/2012, 02:25 PM
Alabama: I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE ILLEGALS TAKING AMERICAN JOBS FROM AMERICANS AND ooo, football!

Supreme Court: So... um... about this legislation.

Alabama: NOT NOW, football.

^^^what likely happened

soonercruiser
2/20/2012, 10:45 PM
Alabama wouldn't have the big linemen they do, if it weren't for Mexican food!
:congratulatory:

okie52
2/20/2012, 11:01 PM
BAMA and the SEC didnt use to be very good with Mexican food. Maybe they are improving.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/21/2012, 12:48 PM
Okie,

You need to hire an executive assistant to help organize your threads. You have three separate threads on the Alabama immigration law (Bama the Beautiful, This is Just Heartbreaking, and this one). The discussion should have been consolidated into one thread.

okie52
2/21/2012, 12:55 PM
Okie,

You need to hire an executive assistant to help organize your threads. You have three separate threads on the Alabama immigration law (Bama the Beautiful, This is Just Heartbreaking, and this one). The discussion should have been consolidated into one thread.

All important updates on the illegal invasion. However, if you would like to submit your resume I will keep you in mind.

StoopTroup
2/21/2012, 01:03 PM
I like guacamole

badger
2/21/2012, 01:36 PM
All important updates on the illegal invasion. However, if you would like to submit your resume I will keep you in mind.

You can update older threads instead of starting new ones, you know :)

okie52
2/21/2012, 01:45 PM
Yes I could.

badger
2/21/2012, 02:11 PM
Plus, you should title them with something literal... you know, like "Report: Illegal immigrants returning to Alabama." That way, we know what the thread is about before clicking on it and stuff :)

okie52
2/21/2012, 02:21 PM
Plus, you should title them with something literal... you know, like "Report: Illegal immigrants returning to Alabama." That way, we know what the thread is about before clicking on it and stuff :)

Nah, I prefer to keep you in suspense.