PDA

View Full Version : I love Sooner women's basketball, but ...

soonerboomer
2/18/2012, 09:19 PM
they seem to have the same problems in many of their games. First, they are not very consistent. In one game they will play really well and in another game they play below average as they are playing tonight. They played really well against "mighty" Connecticut. Second, they tend to allow the other team to make offensive rebounds which is a cardinal sin in basketball. Third, they tend to allow a 3-point shooter on the other team to be open on one side or the other side and the shooter usually make the 3-point basket when not covered. Fourth, they have trouble picking the basketball off the floor resulting in a turnover. Fifth, they have trouble getting the ball in when pressed by the other team. I hope this young team learns from their mistakes as I believe they are talented and have potential. I sure hope they can get at least a #3 seed in the Big 12 Tournament. If so, they would get a bye in round #1, should win their game in round #2, and have an excellent chance in upsetting Texas A&M the likely #3 seed in round #3. If they are the #4 or #5 seed, they will have to play Baylor in the third round. Winning rounds #2 and #3 should improve their seeding in the NCAA Tournament. I think a #7 or even a #6 seed in the NCAA Tournament. That would really be great as they will host rounds #1 and #2 at Lloyd Noble and should win both rounds and make the sweet 16.

badger
2/20/2012, 01:42 PM
It was a miracle to make the Sweet 16 last year, it really was. But, it was a fun run to watch while it lasted, because nobody with realistic expectations thought we'd do three straight Final Fours or something.

So... we're back in that "make the most of it" mindset, methinks.

PalmBeachSooner
2/20/2012, 01:49 PM
They seem to like to fall behind early and dig themselves into a deep hole. Sometimes they make it out and sometimes they don't. They fell behind against ISU and then they did a very poor job defending the 3-point shot and that was the difference in the game.

Maybe they will start playing all 40 minutes of a game sometime soon.

badger
2/20/2012, 01:52 PM
They seem to like to fall behind early and dig themselves into a deep hole. Sometimes they make it out and sometimes they don't. They fell behind against ISU and then they did a very poor job defending the 3-point shot and that was the difference in the game.

Maybe they will start playing all 40 minutes of a game sometime soon.

It's like the men's team problem in reverse, isn't it?

The women have their funk in the first half, and the men have theirs right after halftime :(

nativesooner
2/20/2012, 03:37 PM
this is what you usally get out of a young team.... with the bulk of the time going to soph's and fresh, I'm not expecting too much from them this year. After this year we only lose one player, Serina, so I figure then we'll be back on track. :adoration:

PalmBeachSooner
2/21/2012, 02:45 PM
Is there anyway they can get Nicole into Schmitty's training program or maybe the Ronald McDonald training program? If that girl could put on some weight she'd could be dominant inside the paint ad altogether allsome. At 6'6" and 175 lbs she's a stick. The female equivalent of Manute Bol.

swardboy
2/21/2012, 02:59 PM
Hey, that Ronald McDonald training sure works for me.

badger
2/21/2012, 03:02 PM
Is there anyway they can get Nicole into Schmitty's training program or maybe the Ronald McDonald training program? If that girl could put on some weight she'd could be dominant inside the paint ad altogether allsome. At 6'6" and 175 lbs she's a stick. The female equivalent of Manute Bol.

Anyone really tall on here, particularly anyone female?

My friends who were taller back in high school had serious ankle and knee issues. I don't think it was a weight problem, because they were as thin or fat as everyone else around 'em. I suspected it was a height thing.

I am sure that we have top notch trainers, dietitians and strength/conditioning coaches for our players who have the players best interests at heart when determining whether to go the Schmitty or the McDonald's route :)

Lott's Bandana
2/21/2012, 05:23 PM
It seems to me that WBB, more than any other "watched" sport in NCAA athletics, is extremely weighted towards recruiting success.

There just seems to me a rare tier of supreme female basketball player, and this athlete tends to gravitate towards their own (re: UCONN/TENN) or, if they choose a different program, they seem to elevate that team to the upper level with their sole presence alone during their 4 years there. (re: Baylor-Griner / OU-Parisx2 and somewhat, DRob)

Otherwise, the higher but not highest level programs seem to hover around the Tourney/Sweet16 level for many seasons, until they chance into their own Uber-player. (re: Notre Dame, Stanford, Rutgers, Ohio State) All the while, the UCONNs and TENNs continue to make the Final Fours.

Last year, aTm seemed to be an exception to this observation.

badger
2/21/2012, 05:31 PM
Basketball has smaller teams than, say, football, so you do need to make sure that the 5 you have out on the court at any given time are the best five you can assemble. If you have 11 guys on the football field, one of them can take the play off and a teammate can cover for them (unless that one is the one kicking the field goal... grrrrr...) but in basketball, sleep on defense or when you're getting passed the ball and you're giving up points (grrrrrrrrrr... turnovers... allowing easy layups.... grrrrr.....)

I once snuck into an ESPN.com chat with Sherri and she said that maintaining success is all about recruiting.

Lott's Bandana
2/21/2012, 05:33 PM
Why did you have to sneak?

badger
2/21/2012, 05:36 PM
Why did you have to sneak?

Amazingly, even a womens basketball chat is crowded, so I was lucky to get a question in, so I had to ask about maintaining OU's success. It was back in 2002 or 2003 when I asked it. :)