PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Worth ****** *******s

Petro-Sooner
2/17/2012, 05:51 PM
After searching for quite some time now I finally was offered a new job in Ft. Worth and will accept the offer. The job is just west of downtown. I have no clue about the city and was wondering if there are any areas to avoid when looking for a place to live. Plan on renting at first to get a feel of the city. Any thoughts?

C&CDean
2/17/2012, 06:21 PM
Never lived anywhere in Texas, but I've travelled there extensively. Ft. Worth is >>>>>>>Dallas. At least for a business traveller or normal person.

StoopTroup
2/17/2012, 06:32 PM
We have some friends in Lewisville. They loved living there. Not Ft. Worth but like Dean said....>>>>>Dallas.

Petro-Sooner
2/17/2012, 06:40 PM
Drove through downtown and was impressed!! Its pretty nice. Plus there is an In and Out burger very close by the office.

I Am Right
2/17/2012, 09:22 PM
Yeah, avoid any area south of the Red River!

yermom
2/17/2012, 09:25 PM
the TCU area seemed cool enough...

TheUnnamedSooner
2/17/2012, 11:26 PM
You will like Ft. Worth. I've lived in Dallas area for over 7 years now and work downtown. Ft. Worth is a lot cleaner and less crime than Dallas.

ouleaf
2/18/2012, 12:42 PM
Lived in FW for about two years. Stay away from the East Side. Lots of homeless and homeless shelters on that part of town. I rented on SW side over near I-20 and Bryant-Irvin Road and that is a pretty good area. North side isn't bad either.

Think you'll like it in Funky Town.

jk the sooner fan
2/18/2012, 12:45 PM
After searching for quite some time now I finally was offered a new job in Ft. Worth and will accept the offer. The job is just west of downtown. I have no clue about the city and was wondering if there are any areas to avoid when looking for a place to live. Plan on renting at first to get a feel of the city. Any thoughts?

look north of 820 and I-35W

rekamrettuB
2/18/2012, 01:58 PM
the TCU area seemed cool enough...

Maybe not anymore.

Seriously tho, Sunset Square, I think they call it, was pretty cool. Uno's Pizza!!!

Petro-Sooner
2/21/2012, 05:50 PM
A company in Houston sent me an offer today. Is there much of a difference in cost of living between there and Ft. Worth?

hurricane'bone
2/21/2012, 06:18 PM

Only if you want to sit in traffic all day, it's nice but traffic sucks.

Downtown/Trinity Bluff/West 7th/Upper West Side has a lot of apartments and condos.

Camp Bowie has a lot of restored houses for beaucoup bucks, same with the area around TCU.

There are lots of apartments on Bryant Irvin from basically Vickery to south of 20.

I'd avoid the area around the stockyards, most of the east side of town, Haltom City and basically the southside of town that's right around I-35.

SoonerProphet
2/21/2012, 06:27 PM
Some nice homes over in the Western Hills area and Benbrook.

deweydw
2/22/2012, 10:14 AM
A company in Houston sent me an offer today. Is there much of a difference in cost of living between there and Ft. Worth?

There's not that much difference. For a place to live in the surrounding Houston area. IMO the Kingwood area is best. That's NE of Houston. Traffic coming into Houston is not bad. On the west side is Katy. The traffic coming into Houston is heavy. Even after they increased the size of the freeway. NW of Houston bad traffic. Sugarland area is not so bad. Not sure of the traffic there. But stay away from the south and east of Houston. On the east side is all the refinery's and chemical plants. Doesn't smell too good. South side can flood.

jk the sooner fan
2/22/2012, 02:10 PM
There's not that much difference. For a place to live in the surrounding Houston area. IMO the Kingwood area is best. That's NE of Houston. Traffic coming into Houston is not bad. On the west side is Katy. The traffic coming into Houston is heavy. Even after they increased the size of the freeway. NW of Houston bad traffic. Sugarland area is not so bad. Not sure of the traffic there. But stay away from the south and east of Houston. On the east side is all the refinery's and chemical plants. Doesn't smell too good. South side can flood.'

wow, no offense but to say there is no difference between Houston and FW...my response would be that you've been brainwashed

no traffic in houston? really?

"sit in traffic all day" - a BIT of an exaggeration but traffic is an accepted way of life if you live in the D/FW metroplex

it just is

Curly Bill
2/22/2012, 02:53 PM

This is what I'd say.

deweydw
2/22/2012, 04:15 PM
'

wow, no offense but to say there is no difference between Houston and FW...my response would be that you've been brainwashed

no traffic in houston? really?

"sit in traffic all day" - a BIT of an exaggeration but traffic is an accepted way of life if you live in the D/FW metroplex

it just is

None taken. But the question was the difference in cost of living. I work downtown Houston. Traffic does suck in Houston. I was just pointing out were it sucks least. I leave my house in the morning before rush hour. And leave work before rush hour. So not so bad for me. I do know about the traffic in the FW area. I grew up just NE of FW just inside Loop 820. Highways 820 and 183 are the worst. They are currently widening 183 through Hurst/Euless/Bedford. Hopefully that will reduce the congestion.

By the way I've been living in the Houston area for 35 yrs.

Lott's Bandana
2/22/2012, 04:32 PM
Sundance Square, not Sunset.

Amtrak's Heartland Flyer is a great ride from Norman/FTW. About 90 bucks RT. come see us.

FTW traffic can be hideous. If you can, you will do well to live close to the workplace.

deweydw
2/22/2012, 04:40 PM
When I was little, me and my sisters road the train from FW to Norman to visit my Grandmother. That was a fun ride.

More about loop 820. What has amazed me about this highway. Over the past 35 years, it is still 2 lanes on both sides. :stupid:

Petro-Sooner
2/22/2012, 08:06 PM
I have taken the job in fort worth currently in fort worth looking for a place I'm thinking about an apartment on Bryant irvin road just south of I-20. Seems like a decent area. Shopping. Food...etc. looked at a place downtown. No way am I paying a mortgage price for an apartment.

deweydw
2/22/2012, 08:46 PM
Congrats!! Better climate anyways. :)

Petro-Sooner
2/22/2012, 08:50 PM
Congrats!! Better climate anyways. :)

Thanks!! I'm excited about the opportunity. Been looking for a while. Not too far from friends in Norman so thats a plus. Just trying to get a feel for the lay of the land now.

ouleaf
2/22/2012, 10:53 PM
I have taken the job in fort worth currently in fort worth looking for a place I'm thinking about an apartment on Bryant irvin road just south of I-20. Seems like a decent area. Shopping. Food...etc. looked at a place downtown. No way am I paying a mortgage price for an apartment.

Yep...that was the area I was in when I lived over there. Pretty affordable apartments and pretty much everything you need in that area. No real direct route to get to downtown from there unfortunately, but it's a nice area overall.