PDA

View Full Version : Why are people this dumb?

Crimsontothecore
2/17/2012, 11:14 AM
http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Family-says-motel-overcharged-them-after-fire/JpoD48kYRUC2Vj-Fy18HOA.cspx

First of all, EVERY oxygen tank has a warning about flammability and I'm sure any person using oxygen was warned about not smoking near it. Second, I am amazed at how many times I see in the news where someone loses their home to fire, tornado, flood, ect. and they don't have homeowners insurance. If you have a mortgage, you MUST have insurance but for some reason people who own their homes outright seem to think it's not necessary. I would think that people without a mortgage payment should be able to afford a few hundred a year for an insurance premium. Here again, stupidity makes the headlines as a "tragedy" and everyone's heart is supposed to bleed.

badger
2/17/2012, 11:19 AM
I like that the story is not so much about the fire, but the hotel overcharging their Red Cross cash card for a smoking fee.

Boomer.....
2/17/2012, 11:29 AM
Even if you don't smoke in a room, but leave it reeking of tobacco then you should still have to pay the fee.

Pricetag
2/17/2012, 11:52 AM
Smoking cost this man his ability to respirate normally, then his home, and now his Red Cross debit card. You have to admire the dedication to the habit.

Wishboned
2/17/2012, 12:09 PM
Natalie said, "My daughter and I went to Walmart to buy some cleaning supplies to try to wash that suit smell out of our clothes and there's no money on the card."

Is that the new suit smell?

badger
2/17/2012, 12:44 PM
Smoking cost this man his ability to respirate normally, then his home, and now his Red Cross debit card. You have to admire the dedication to the habit.

Sad, isn't it? I'm not judging him, just sympathetic to their situation. Even if his home was insured, he likely had irreplaceable personal items inside, not to mention the dead pet.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/17/2012, 02:26 PM
Oxygen isn't flammable.

jumperstop
2/17/2012, 03:34 PM
http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Family-says-motel-overcharged-them-after-fire/JpoD48kYRUC2Vj-Fy18HOA.cspx

First of all, EVERY oxygen tank has a warning about flammability and I'm sure any person using oxygen was warned about not smoking near it. Second, I am amazed at how many times I see in the news where someone loses their home to fire, tornado, flood, ect. and they don't have homeowners insurance. If you have a mortgage, you MUST have insurance but for some reason people who own their homes outright seem to think it's not necessary. I would think that people without a mortgage payment should be able to afford a few hundred a year for an insurance premium. Here again, stupidity makes the headlines as a "tragedy" and everyone's heart is supposed to bleed.
That's how I feel about the Whitney Houston thing. She OD'd, and I'm supposed to be upset? A great singer, and losing anyone is sad for the people close to them. I just think it's dumb how she's the punchline of jokes until she falls asleep in a bathtub on pills and now everyone wants to act like they all really loved her and how sad the world is without her. Same **** with MJ, he was the butt of jokes until he died, but afterword it's supposed to be a tragedy....

badger
2/17/2012, 03:38 PM
Oxygen isn't flammable.

link (http://www.livestrong.com/article/205796-dangers-of-smoking-while-using-oxygen/)

Pure oxygen in highly flammable, and striking a match or holding a lit cigarette anywhere near it can start a fire. Even when the oxygen delivery system is turned off, oxygen from the system has probably built up around you while you were using the system.

That's how I feel about the Whitney Houston thing. She OD'd, and I'm supposed to be upset? A great singer, and losing anyone is sad for the people close to them. I just think it's dumb how she's the punchline of jokes until she falls asleep in a bathtub on pills and now everyone wants to act like they all really loved her and how sad the world is without her. Same **** with MJ, he was the butt of jokes until he died, but afterword it's supposed to be a tragedy....

I think it's partially people feeling guilty about the way they were joking about that stuff for so long.

Crimsontothecore
2/17/2012, 03:40 PM

I agree 100%. I had a discussion with a neighbor about this same thing. If some anonymous person in our own town dies of drug abuse we say "they did it to themselves" or "one less low life in the world" but when it's a celebrity it's a "tragedy". Human nature I guess.

Crimsontothecore
2/17/2012, 03:43 PM
Oxygen isn't flammable.

Now that's scarey!

olevetonahill
2/17/2012, 05:09 PM
Oxygen isn't flammable.

link (http://www.livestrong.com/article/205796-dangers-of-smoking-while-using-oxygen/)

I think it's partially people feeling guilty about the way they were joking about that stuff for so long.

Now that's scarey!

Tulsa_Fireman
2/17/2012, 05:14 PM

I say again, oxygen is NOT flammable.

Oxygen is an oxidizer, which increases the rate of the combustion reaction. Your article is dead wrong, Badj. And while smoking while on prescription oxygen IS a very dangerous game, it's because of the increase in oxygen making flammable objects more likely to ignite or increasing their rate of combustion in the presence of an increase in oxidizer. Without fuel (or reducing agent), even in a 100% oxygen environment, combustion can not take place. The kicker is, in the presence of sufficient oxygen (or other oxidizer) most anything can become a reducing agent. But oxygen itself, by itself, is NOT flammable. Hence (partially) why oxygen carries a green non-flammable placard. It just makes everything its around EXTREMELY flammable in concentrated amounts, such as with medically prescribed oxygen.

KantoSooner
2/17/2012, 05:31 PM
Back in Law School, there was a torts prof who liked fact patterns that would separate horrible events, for which human sympathy could be expected, versus those for which legal responsiblity could be assigned. Not all bad things can be blamed on another or, indeed on anyone at all. Simple bad luck exists.

Then there were a series of fact patterns that displayed such breathtakingly risky behavior that the discussion would end with him intoning, "How dumb can you be and still live?"

In the instant case, we have been able to determine the exact location of that line. Our man stepped over it.