PDA

View Full Version : Tow Rope

oudavid1
2/16/2012, 07:10 PM
Me and my cousin both have 4WD cars and when it snows we often see people who have gotten stuck on the side of the road and like to help them by pulling them out. I drive a GMC Envoy, he has a Ford Explorer. Just curious if anyone has any information or advice on a good tow rope for our vehicles. Probably looking at a 5,000lb max. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Turd_Ferguson
2/16/2012, 07:19 PM
Look for a wire rope sling or nylon endless sling and get you a couple of shackles. If you yank on a 3000# car, your gonna put more than 5000# of force on your sling/rope.

Forwarning...OHP usually don't like to see people doing that.

Breadburner
2/16/2012, 07:20 PM
You are just going to tear your **** up...Not to mention the fact its tow strap.....

oudavid1
2/16/2012, 07:21 PM
Ok, so what should the limit be on this tow strap?

Turd_Ferguson
2/16/2012, 07:24 PM
Ok, so what should the limit be on this tow strap?I have a 16' nylon endless. It's rated around 16k.

oudavid1
2/16/2012, 07:26 PM
I have a 16' nylon endless. It's rated around 16k.

How much am I looking at with a rope like that?

Turd_Ferguson
2/16/2012, 07:29 PM
How much am I looking at with a rope like that?I don't know, I got mine from a tower contractor that left it on my job site.:D

oudavid1
2/16/2012, 07:35 PM
I don't know, I got mine from a tower contractor that left it on my job site.:D

must be nice!

achiro
2/16/2012, 08:48 PM
You'd want a snatch strap for that job but you'd also want something besides a GMC Envoy to do it with.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/16/2012, 11:13 PM
Get a chain, pansy. Men use chains.

StoopTroup
2/17/2012, 12:01 AM
Ok, so what should the limit be on this tow strap?

I'm just gonna say this because it ain't been said yet. Sometimes it's not about the limit of the tow strap or the chain.....

It's about how long you expect to drive your vehicle before replacing the transmission.

You using an automatic or a manual trans? How much is the vehicle you are towing with rated for to tow something?

Ford Explorers are good for pulling Yugos out of a ditch. :D

Just make sure you grease the Yugo's tires up with astroglide.

Have you ever wondered how Tow Truck guys get a half million miles out of their rigs?

If you hook up a 16K rope to something you think is gonna break it with your Explorer....please video it and post it on teh youtube.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/93576-ford-explorer-towing-capacity.html

achiro
2/17/2012, 12:12 AM
Am I the only one that pictures something like this happening with David trying to pull a car out of the snow?
Tw_vcM7bynA

StoopTroup
2/17/2012, 12:59 AM
Am I the only one that pictures something like this happening with David trying to pull a car out of the snow?
Tw_vcM7bynA

An oldie but a goodie....:D

OULenexaman
2/17/2012, 09:23 AM
your also gonna need some snow ......we haven't seen **** this year in KC.

C&CDean
2/17/2012, 09:59 AM
Towing with an Envoy is like skiing behind a rowboat. And chain is the only thing I tow folks out with.

rekamrettuB
2/17/2012, 10:31 AM
If you are interested in pulling folks out you need to invest in a pretty good tow rope...but first, get you a truck that can actually pull some stuff. Just because you have a 4WD doesn't mean you have a tow truck.

pphilfran
2/17/2012, 11:53 AM
Towing with an Envoy is like skiing behind a rowboat. And chain is the only thing I tow folks out with.

I use the straps....they have a small amount of stretch and will put a little less stress on the vehicles...

Always lay a blanket over the strap or rope at the halfway point so if it breaks it goes down into the ground instead of up into the windshield...

Tulsa_Fireman
2/17/2012, 02:23 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/GMC_Envoy_XL.jpg

This is the kind of hopped up mini-van in question.

But the real question is how do you fit all the kids, the groceries, your vagina, AND a tow rope/chain in it all at once?

SoonerTerry
2/17/2012, 02:27 PM
I like the bungee type that you just strech out and stop, then the bungee does the work. no shock.

Curly Bill
2/17/2012, 03:20 PM
Get a chain, pansy. Men use chains.

My first thought!

kbsooner21
2/17/2012, 03:33 PM
LMAO, the Towing Brothers with their Envoy and Explorer.

C&CDean
2/17/2012, 03:44 PM
I use the straps....they have a small amount of stretch and will put a little less stress on the vehicles...

Always lay a blanket over the strap or rope at the halfway point so if it breaks it goes down into the ground instead of up into the windshield...

90% of what I pull out is heavy-duty type equipment/trucks. I have chains on all my trucks and in my trailer boxes. The only straps I carry are for securing a load. I don't like towing with them because they do stretch, if you tie them and then put a load on them you can't untie them, and I've seen them mofos bust and snap back like a whip. Talk about losing an eye.

If you secure a chain properly on both ends, there's no issues - although I have broken a couple tow chains and when them suckers bust, you had better not be anywhere in the vicinity. Cut you in half. The only time I've busted them though is pulling out heavy equipment with a dozer or track hoe.

pphilfran
2/17/2012, 04:29 PM
If you are towing I have no problem with a chain...or on the big chit you are dealing with....

I do use a strap when yanking someone out of a snowdrift or mudhole....but I prefer a Warn winch....

achiro
2/17/2012, 09:06 PM
If you are towing I have no problem with a chain...or on the big chit you are dealing with....

I do use a strap when yanking someone out of a snowdrift or mudhole....but I prefer a Warn winch....
This
Chains are fine if you have a big vehicle and are in a situation where a constant pull can be used.
I pulled a full size truck out of a snow drift with a subaru justy using a strap, no way I could have done that with a chain. The strap is cleaner and easier to store in your vehicle, lighter to deal with, and safer if you don't really know what you are doing.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/17/2012, 09:28 PM
I don't get it.

You pulled them out with a strap but you couldn't have pulled them out with a chain?

That sounds silly.

achiro
2/17/2012, 10:42 PM
With a chain you need a big heavy vehicle and brute force to tow something with steady pressure. With a snatch strap you basically use the kenetic energy stored in the strap to help pop the vehicle out of the mud or snow.

StoopTroup
2/18/2012, 12:43 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/GMC_Envoy_XL.jpg

This is the kind of hopped up mini-van in question.

But the real question is how do you fit all the kids, the groceries, your vagina, AND a tow rope/chain in it all at once?

If you have a good one....the vagina should slide right in.

soonerboomer93
2/18/2012, 01:30 AM
Tw_vcM7bynA

no, no you're not

oudavid1
2/18/2012, 12:56 PM
lol for the record I have been doing this for a while now and I usually only pull out mustangs, small pickups, or prius's, so the Envoy is just fine. I was just curious what you guys would use. I wouldnt put my car up for anything it couldnt handle. I got another friend who has a Dodge truck and he pulled a Semi out of a ditch a few years ago :eek:

SoonerInFortSmith
2/18/2012, 01:23 PM
LMAO, the Towing Brothers with their Envoy and Explorer.

This could be a reality show on TruTV. Or maybe even the LHN.

oudavid1
2/19/2012, 03:25 PM
This could be a reality show on TruTV. Or maybe even the LHN.

haters

diverdog
2/20/2012, 08:49 AM
Chain are good but you need to be careful. A guy I sorta knew got killed when a chain link hit him and went thru his heart. They were pulling a combine out of the mud with a four wheel drive tractor. It was a freak accident. The chaing snapped and he was to close.

The rating on either chains or ropes changes depending on the angles. Webbing is only as good as the sewing on the weakest point.