PDA

View Full Version : FAMU and Notre Dame and our home 2012 schedule

Lott's Bandana
2/16/2012, 10:01 AM
I am a Rattler.
Or, at least I was.

I was lucky enough to be a member of the Florida A&M University faculty, where I taught for 4 years, as well as at Florida State. My office was at FAMU, and I was only one of a handful of white faculty/staff members of what is known as a Historically Black College or University (HBCU)

One of the best times of my life, I enjoyed every minute of my time there teaching. With an enrollment of just under 10,000 students, being the small fish across the street from Florida State was quite interesting.

When I heard FAMU is bringing their band to Norman next season, I was quite excited. Oh, and I suppose the football team gets to come along as well.

Many of you love or hate aTm's corps of musicians, and I suppose the same will hold true for the Marching 100. Their style is meant for pure entertainment and fun and is quite a different animal from aTm's product.

Super Bowls, Presidential Inaugurations, worldwide performances...the Marching 100 set the standard for HBCU Show Bands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydVswV8R0TI

This season is shaping up to be a fun one in Norman. FAMU's band, Notre Dame's tradition (yech) and our conference home games will all be a treat and I can't wait to for it to get here.

badger
2/16/2012, 10:08 AM
Hopefully whatever off-field incidents this band had going on last year (and I assume, during much of their history) with hazing is a thing of the past come fall.

LVSOONER15
2/16/2012, 10:16 AM
This will be an interesting season in general. I am looking forward to our OCC.

soonerboy_odanorth
2/16/2012, 10:52 AM
That may be enough for me to come to the home opener if they are bringing the band. Otherwise it would be a worthless trip to watch the scrimmage.

So lurking Pride members... how do you feel about yet another school's band coming in and kicking your ***?

Fire Brian Boitano. :P

nativesooner
2/16/2012, 12:02 PM
So lurking Pride members... how do you feel about yet another school's band coming in and kicking your ***?

Fire Brian Boitano. :P

What do you mean?! I enjoy 80's soft rock! :playful:

StoopTroup
2/16/2012, 12:23 PM
I understand that Wisconsin is quite a drive but the FAMU Band is what would get you to drive to Norman for a Home Opener?

That's seriously messed up or I hope you are joking.

virginiasooner
2/16/2012, 01:45 PM
If we weren't going Bedlam in 2012, I'd consider the FAMU game, just to see the band.

soonerboy_odanorth
2/16/2012, 02:18 PM
I understand that Wisconsin is quite a drive but the FAMU Band is what would get you to drive to Norman for a Home Opener?

That's seriously messed up or I hope you are joking.

Don't flatter me. I'd drive to Norman (from MN, btw) and a home opener for a free taco. Much less the spectacle of those hazin' fools jumping and jiving on the field.

Flagstaffsooner
2/16/2012, 02:48 PM
Is the band still suspended?

8timechamps
2/16/2012, 10:12 PM
My favorite part about this thread is the title. So, about ND and our other home games.... :D

Seriously though, I would love to see the FAMU band in Norman, but I thought they were restricted (or suspended) after the hazing death, no? I saw Morris College (in South Carolina, not Morris Brown of Georgia) perform at an exhibition a year or so ago, and there is nothing like an HBCU performance. I think FAMU is known nationally for their band (and possibly horrible football uniforms). Should be fun, if they can perform.

StoopTroup
2/17/2012, 12:57 AM
Don't flatter me. I'd drive to Norman (from MN, btw) and a home opener for a free taco. Much less the spectacle of those hazin' fools jumping and jiving on the field.

I was hoping to hear that.

I mean...we all suffer these months of waiting to see what our Coaches do with new Talent and how the guys that were getting better last Season are doing going into this Season and we all have hopes of being completely amazed at how Bob took the Team through an undefeated season and won the NC in 2013. At least that's what I thought a lot of folks were doing. Some be wondering when we will have fired enough Coaches to start going undefeated every season. :D

I love going to games and being a part of the gameday experience and for me....the only thing that comes close is things like what happened tonight. In my 9 year old Sons 7th Competitive Basketball Game ever.....he hit the winning shot of the game to take the wind of of the other Teams sails. My 84 year old Father was there to see it too. You can't beat stuff like that but seeing OU Football Teams win are always up there every year.

Lott's Bandana
2/17/2012, 09:38 AM
My favorite part about this thread is the title. So, about ND and our other home games.... :D

Seriously though, I would love to see the FAMU band in Norman, but I thought they were restricted (or suspended) after the hazing death, no? I saw Morris College (in South Carolina, not Morris Brown of Georgia) perform at an exhibition a year or so ago, and there is nothing like an HBCU performance. I think FAMU is known nationally for their band (and possibly horrible football uniforms). Should be fun, if they can perform.

Hey, I mentioned the Domers and the schedule under the YouToob window!

I knew they were in trouble, but hopefully their suspension is lifted by the time they are to come west.