PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma elects first openly gay state senator

Chuck Bao
2/16/2012, 03:35 AM
Congrats to Al McAffrey and to the people of Senate District 46 for electing Oklahoma's first openly gay state senator. Woohoo!

I hope that Sally Kern (and other politicians campaigning on hate and fear) see Al's election victory and choke on a big one.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2012/02/15/Oklahoma_State_Senate_Has_First_Gay_Member/#AFacebookComments

Oklahoma Elects Openly Gay State Senator
By Nick Visser
Posted on Advocate.com February 15, 2012 04:12:51 PM ET

Oklahoma voters have elected their first openly gay state senator, current state representative Al McAffrey, according to Gay Politics.

"The people of Senate District 46 have put their faith in me to represent them in our state legislature," McAffrey wrote on his Facebook page following the victory. "I do not take their faith in me lightly or for granted. I am committed to fighting for the values that define our district: fairness, equality and moving Oklahoma forward."

McAffrey, a Democrat, was the first openly gay person elected to the state legislature following a 2006 campaign for a seat in the Oklahoma House of Representatives. He was reelected in 2010 before deciding to run in a special election for a vacant seat in the Senate, and won nearly 67% of the vote in Tuesday's election.

“Al’s election to the state Senate is another milestone for LGBT Oklahomans, and we are proud to support his campaign,” said Chuck Wolfe, president of the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, which backed McAffrey’s campaign. "There are still a number of states that have never elected any openly LGBT state legislators, so Oklahoma can be proud that Al has been elected to both the House and the Senate.”

okie52
2/16/2012, 04:53 AM
We're very progressive.

Sooner_Bob
2/16/2012, 08:19 AM
I'm very proud about this . . . . :dispirited:

badger
2/16/2012, 09:31 AM
We've had an openly gay state elected official before. His name was Jim Roth and he was a corp commish. You can read the funny post-election-boot interview here. (http://www.thelostogle.com/2009/02/03/lost-ogle-q-a-jim-roth/)

okie52
2/16/2012, 10:27 AM
I thought Roth was appointed and then lost in the general election.

hawaii 5-0
2/16/2012, 10:38 AM
There's probably more that are still in the closet.

I've got several gay friends. None are politicians tho.

5-0

Curly Bill
2/16/2012, 11:33 AM
I really don't care one way or the other. Gay, not gay, whatever...

sooner_born_1960
2/16/2012, 11:36 AM
Where is Senate district 46?

sappstuf
2/16/2012, 11:47 AM
Wait.. HE was the gay one.. Damn it, I want my vote back. ;)

TitoMorelli
2/16/2012, 03:56 PM
Where is Senate district 46?
Paseo district?

okie52
2/16/2012, 03:57 PM
I thought it contained Capitol Hill?

badger
2/16/2012, 05:54 PM
I thought Roth was appointed and then lost in the general election.

You're right, but I'm just saying it's not like we haven't elected state officials that are openly gay before.

In fact, this guy was elected to the state House before he was elected to the state Senate... so... yeah.

soonercoop1
2/16/2012, 05:55 PM
Looks like it was the same district that elected Andrew Rice...go figure...

BillyBall
2/16/2012, 06:03 PM
Which is why the title states that "Oklahoma elects first openly gay STATE SENATOR", not elected official.

OU_Sooners75
2/16/2012, 08:05 PM
You're right, but I'm just saying it's not like we haven't elected state officials that are openly gay before.

In fact, this guy was elected to the state House before he was elected to the state Senate... so... yeah.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to read: "Oklahoma elects first openly gay state senator" and realize that chuck wasn't talking about the first openly gay elected or appointed official.

:playful:

OhU1
2/16/2012, 09:30 PM
Old news, we've already had an openly gay Governor, U.S. Senator, and OU University President if the rumors are true.

Frozen Sooner
2/16/2012, 10:29 PM
Old news, we've already had an openly gay Governor, U.S. Senator, and OU University President if the rumors are true.

I don't think these words mean what you think they mean.

(As in, if he were openly gay, then you wouldn't have to believe rumors)

Chuck Bao
2/17/2012, 04:38 AM
I really don't care one way or the other. Gay, not gay, whatever...

That's the point, isn't it: it really shouldn't matter. With the current political climate and unsubstianiated claims of attacks on religion and religious freedom, which, as far as I can tell, are just Orwellian wordspeak for oppression of anyone with a different religious view, I can't help but feel greatly relieved that the reddest of red states would elect an openly gay politician.

Then, again, it may be more about the character of the man. I don't think Al McAffrey campaigned on gay issues, but he also didn't keep secret that he is a member of the Cimarron Alliance and supports AIDS awareness education. Based on his website, he appears to be a fiscal conservative yet social liberal (libertarian). God bless 'em.

SicEmBaylor
2/17/2012, 04:53 AM
They're true.

SicEmBaylor
2/17/2012, 04:55 AM
That's the point, isn't it: it really shouldn't matter. With the current political climate and unsubstianiated claims of attacks on religion and religious freedom, which, as far as I can tell, are just Orwellian wordspeak for oppression of anyone with a different religious view, I can't help but feel greatly relieved that the reddest of red states would elect an openly gay politician.

Then, again, it may be more about the character of the man. I don't think Al McAffrey campaigned on gay issues, but he also didn't keep secret that he is a member of the Cimarron Alliance and supports AIDS awareness education. Based on his website, he appears to be a fiscal conservative yet social liberal (libertarian). God bless 'em.

I agree with this for the most part. A couple of things though:
1)Don't get too excited...we're talking a senate district that was carved out as a liberal enclave. It's unlikely he'd get elected in a statewide election.
2)There is a very slight but nonetheless discernible difference between a liberal and a social libertarian.

badger
2/17/2012, 09:32 AM
They're true.

The white bible says differently.

And he's married. To a woman.

And before you all chime "Those don't mean sh!t!" I think out of respect for dear ol Uncle Dave, it should mean something. Swearing under oath and marriage vows should mean something.

soonercruiser
2/17/2012, 02:42 PM
Hope he/she does a good job.

(....stays on top of things....)