PDA

View Full Version : TCU Drug Raid Today (2/15) *Warning of Twitpic*

oudavid1
2/15/2012, 11:01 AM
Apparently TCU had a drug raid on campus and 17 students were arrested, 4 of them football players.

http://twitter.com/#!/BFeldmanCBS/statuses/169811027620413440

For anyone who cant click to twitter at work/school:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2dim79k.jpg

badger
2/15/2012, 11:18 AM
It's not just twitter reporting it. the 17 students (including footballers) were expelled and their names will be released later today.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=231&articleid=20120215_231_0_FORTWO584005)

dwarthog
2/15/2012, 11:31 AM
Oh man... This isn't good at all...

badger
2/15/2012, 11:33 AM
Oh man... This isn't good at all...

Yeah, it wasn't just some spare aspirin, but rather cocaine, ecstacy, prescriptions and marijuana.

Even an SEC school probably wouldn't keep players around around with those type of accusations, let along a religious school.

dwarthog
2/15/2012, 11:39 AM
Yeah, it wasn't just some spare aspirin, but rather cocaine, ecstacy, prescriptions and marijuana.

Even an SEC school probably wouldn't keep players around around with those type of accusations, let along a religious school.

Will something like this get the NCAA digging into their program now?

OU44life
2/15/2012, 11:40 AM
Do we Refer to TCU as THC now?

badger
2/15/2012, 11:41 AM
Will something like this get the NCAA digging into their program now?

I am not sure this is an NCAA violation. However, it is definitely an EDSBS violation, so we can expect TCU to jump to the top of the Fulmer Cup standings as soon as they reveal the names and the exact charges. This might put them so over the top that they'll be in first the rest of the offseason.

StoopTroup
2/15/2012, 11:52 AM
Do we Refer to TCU as THC now?

Yes. :D ;)

badger
2/15/2012, 11:53 AM
KillerFrogs.com (it's their fan board) posted the letter that went out to students/faculty this morning:

Dear Campus Community,

Early today the Fort Worth Police Department and TCU Campus Police concluded an investigation into drug selling on and around campus that unfortunately led to the arrest of many current TCU students.

While this news is certainly shocking and disappointing, it is important to remember that TCU has clear expectations for its students: that they behave in an ethical manner, abide by campus policies and adhere to state and federal law. These students are charged with acting in a manner that is incompatible with TCU values and against the law. That is simply unacceptable and such reported behavior is not tolerated at this University.

We have a responsibility to ensure that our campus environment is free of such behavior. Today’s actions highlight that responsibility. The students involved were immediately separated from TCU and criminally trespassed from campus. Further, according to University policy, students arrested and found in violation of distributing drugs are subject to immediate expulsion from TCU.

TCU has never before experienced a magnitude of student arrests such as this. In fact, Campus Police records show only five student arrests related to drug law violations in recent years. I have asked our vice chancellor for student affairs, Dr. Kathy Cavins-Tull, to examine whether any new programs or procedures need to be implemented to curtail this type of behavior in the future. The Fort Worth Police Department also has offered to help in these efforts.

Today’s events have forever changed the lives of the involved students, and we hope they will find a healthy way to move forward. Also, the next couple of weeks will be tough for the TCU family. There is no doubt that it will hurt to see our name associated with this type of behavior. But we must not allow this moment to define us. We must remember that we are overwhelmingly a community of dedicated students, faculty and staff and focused on changing the world through our collective work and commitment to leadership.

Sincerely,

Chancellor Victor J. Boschini, Jr.

Their thread on it is here (http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index.php?showtopic=150883&st=0). I'm peeking around now to see if they have any name rumors before the cops release em

badger
2/15/2012, 11:58 AM
KillerFrogs.com post:

A couple football players I talked to said that there are going to be names released that will "really suck."

God I hope they're lying.

I'll keep looking...

badger
2/15/2012, 12:01 PM
Six pages in of 17 (and probably counting) and their lamenting the loss of a "star athlete." Hmm...

badger
2/15/2012, 12:08 PM
Up to page 9 (their board is sloooow right now understandably) and they're now saying "Casey" whoever that is

EDIT: Aaaaaand killerfrogs just stopped working, hehe

badger
2/15/2012, 12:13 PM
Someone copied this off twitter on page 11...

Lynn Kawano @LynnKawano Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Sources tell FOX4 the TCU QB is among those arrested and suspected in drug sweet. bit.ly/zEYflvp

EDIT: killerfrogs down again, heh

badger
2/15/2012, 12:20 PM
OK, killer back...

My brother is in class with some football players right now. He just sent me an email saying the football players said 4 people missed practice, two of which were Pachall and T. Brock. I hope that he is just speculating a little much. Thought I would let this board know though.

still tons of pages to go on the slow loading site though... ALL SPECULATION NOTHING SET IN STONE OR REPORTED ANYWHERE YET

badger
2/15/2012, 12:28 PM
They picked an inopportune time to remove Brock and Yendrey from the roster if they are not the ones arrested.

page 17 of 19... ugggh

badger
2/15/2012, 12:29 PM
Page 18:

Stefan Stevenson @FollowtheFrogs Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Devin Johnson, Ty Horn, Tanner Brock and D.J. Yendrey all arrested in TCU drug sweep.

badger
2/15/2012, 12:30 PM
OK, sorry it took so many killerfrog posts to get to the truth. ESPN.com reports:

The football players arrested are: junior linebacker Tanner Brock, junior safety Devin Johnson, junior defensive tackle D.J. Yendrey and sophomore offensive tackle Tyler Horn.

Brock entered the 2011 season as a starter and one of the team's best defenders, but he hurt his ankle in September and missed the rest of the season.

In 2010, he led the team in tackles with 106 and was named an All-Mountain West performer.

Johnson started eight games in 2011 and had 47 tackles and 2.5 sacks. Yendrey led Horned Frogs interior lineman in tackles in 2011 and was honorable mention All-Mountain West. Horn was expected to compete for a starting spot in 2012.

Link (http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/7577881/tcu-horned-frogs-football-players-arrested-drug-sweep)

This is a huge blow to TCU football, and to the campus.

fwsooner22
2/15/2012, 01:16 PM
I watched part of it go down at 7:30 AM this morning. Police had the apartment complex next to my office surrounded. Very strange sight.

Mazeppa
2/15/2012, 01:17 PM
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Major-Drug-Bust-Hits-TCU-Campus-139355758.html

badger
2/15/2012, 01:22 PM
I imagine that there's some fanbases that are laughing at TCU today, but really, there's not much to laugh about. It's a sad situation, because each of those arrested are accused of not possession, not use, but DEALING drugs. No wonder they were expelled immediately.

oudavid1
2/15/2012, 01:23 PM
I watched part of it go down at 7:30 AM this morning. Police had the apartment complex next to my office surrounded. Very strange sight.

Inside information! Thanks for the info!

70sooner
2/15/2012, 01:28 PM
dumbarses....

http://www.newson6.com/story/16941993/former-moore-standout-arrested-in-tcu-drug-bust

Staff and Wire Reports

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Four Texas Christian University football players are among 17 students who have been arrested in a campus drug bust, including former Moore standout Devin Johnson.

TCU Police Chief Steve McGee said the students arrested Wednesday were caught in an undercover operation selling marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy and prescription drugs.

He did not immediately identify those arrested but says their names will be released later in the day. According to Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram the four players arrested are Johnson, All-MWC linebacker Tanner Brock, All-MWC defensive tackle DJ Yendry and Ty Horn.

McGee says the six-month investigation was prompted by complaints from students, parents and others.

School chancellor Victor Boschini calls the students' actions "simply unacceptable."

Officials say all 17 students have been taken off the 9,500-hundred student school's Fort Worth campus and all four players have been removed from the roster on the team's website.

The Horned Frogs are set to join the Big 12 later this year in a move expected to be a boon for their athletic program.

NOVSooner
2/15/2012, 01:43 PM
doesn't sound like this will be going away any time soon based of the WOA information:

http://media.star-telegram.com/smedia/2012/02/15/11/20/5m7vO.So.58.PDF

pg.11 and 12 are very telling

badger
2/15/2012, 01:55 PM
doesn't sound like this will be going away any time soon based of the WOA information:

Yeah, very telling that TCU was doing the absolute right thing in this situation now by not bailing out a star player and instead for the good of the campus to get a drug dealer the eff out.

The team could have been warned at the drug tests that they were closing in on dealers, but instead, either Brock was a moron or TCU was discrete enough to do the testing without anyone suspecting an ongoing investigation. And this was just two weeks ago!

But... TCU is not completely innocent here. It sounds like they should have caught some of these guys before for usage and haven't. Hmmm...

TheUnnamedSooner
2/15/2012, 02:05 PM
I imagine that there's some fanbases that are laughing at TCU today, but really, there's not much to laugh about.

What if I LOL @ TCU everyday? Am I grandfathered in?

badger
2/15/2012, 02:09 PM
What if I LOL @ TCU everyday? Am I grandfathered in?

Yeah, that's OK. When this stuff was still breaking I decided to check out TexAgs since those guys of obsessed with everything and I figured they had already posted everyone's social security numbers or whatever. But instead, it was just a bunch of :D ;) :) :P over there, like they were high and mighty A&M that can look down on such behavior and sh!t.

While I was waiting for killerfrogs to stop crashing, I checked out their latest Big 12 bashing thread, and it appears that the rest of the SEC is onto them and their inflated egos.

setem
2/15/2012, 02:10 PM
This Brock guys sounds like a botard!

jk the sooner fan
2/15/2012, 02:15 PM
as funny as this is......i dont think - from a conference perspective - it's good at all - for any of us

tarnished teams crawling into the conference can't be good - and we should be able to beat TCU with or without the four that were dismissed today

just my opinion

LASooner
2/15/2012, 04:30 PM
That's how it's done in the Southwest Conference. Let's just add SMU and Houston to the conference and finish out this grave nicely.

badger
2/15/2012, 04:58 PM
That's how it's done in the Southwest Conference. Let's just add SMU and Houston to the conference and finish out this grave nicely.

Still bitter that that east coasters are gonna see OU football on a regular basis and you west coasters aren't cuz we didn't go PAC-ing, eh?

budbarrybob
2/15/2012, 05:12 PM
TCU is just trying to up the street cred of the B12!! Give them a break!!

soonerboy_odanorth
2/15/2012, 06:49 PM
[cueSic'Emdancingajig]"ROUND OF ZIMAS!"[/cueSic'emdancingajig]

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2012, 07:28 PM
Apparently Brock Tanner yelled obscenities at

the reports waiting outside the jail.

Good first move dumbass.

Dio
2/15/2012, 07:31 PM
dumbarses....

http://www.newson6.com/story/16941993/former-moore-standout-arrested-in-tcu-drug-bust

Staff and Wire Reports

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Four Texas Christian University football players are among 17 students who have been arrested in a campus drug bust, including former Moore standout Devin Johnson.

Wait- we had a standout in Moore? In football?

VA Sooner
2/15/2012, 07:55 PM
This will be a big problem for TCU in getting to the Big 12 championship.

Oh well....

ruf/nekdad
2/15/2012, 08:06 PM
THCU

Seamus
2/15/2012, 08:09 PM
Still bitter that that east coasters are gonna see OU football on a regular basis and you west coasters aren't cuz we didn't go PAC-ing, eh?

Yes.

Very.

8timechamps
2/15/2012, 09:07 PM

Very telling. If the affidavit is true, then over 60% of the team was smoking it up, and failed the recent drug test. I have to say though, I find that number a little hard to believe. Also, I never saw anything (I didn't read every page) that talked about anyone buying pills. From what I saw, it was just the marijuana. There was mention of last year, and one of the accused saying it was harder to get now that players had graduated, but it didn't sound like anyone bought or sold anything other than marijuana.

picasso
2/15/2012, 09:27 PM
Those dudes must have been in some advanced business courses.

OULenexaman
2/16/2012, 08:13 AM
so you have some college kids that can score some weed for ya.......and that's big news?? BFD.

Wishboned
2/16/2012, 10:53 AM
When do they start screaming for Patterson's head? He has obviously lost control of his team.

Knippz
2/16/2012, 11:05 AM
Wow, I'm undeniably annoyed at all of you acting like this is funny, fair, or like we or any other school are better than this. Hate to break it to you guys, but EVERY school has players that deal drugs. USC, UT, Tech, Lil Sis, A&M, Bama, LSU, BMS and last but not least - THE University of Oklahoma.

I guarantee this could happen at any school, including us, and I feel for those players. Yes, what they were doing was bad, but it's not like there aren't guys at every other school doing the same thing. I have personally bought weed (years ago) from guys that play in the NFL right now. Sucks for the TCU guys because they had to be the ones to be made an example.

But seriously, don't act smug - I promise you if a ********* Oklahoma cop decided he wanted to ruin a Sooner's career and life, they could do the SAME thing to one of OUrs.

LVSOONER15
2/16/2012, 11:13 AM
Wow, I'm undeniably annoyed at all of you acting like this is funny, fair, or like we or any other school are better than this. Hate to break it to you guys, but EVERY school has players that deal drugs. USC, UT, Tech, Lil Sis, A&M, Bama, LSU, BMS and last but not least - THE University of Oklahoma.

I guarantee this could happen at any school, including us, and I feel for those players. Yes, what they were doing was bad, but it's not like there aren't guys at every other school doing the same thing. I have personally bought weed (years ago) from guys that play in the NFL right now. Sucks for the TCU guys because they had to be the ones to be made an example.

But seriously, don't act smug - I promise you if a ********* Oklahoma cop decided he wanted to ruin a Sooner's career and life, they could do the SAME thing to one of OUrs.

You got that right Knippz. It happens everywhere. Go to a campus party and see whats happening.

badger
2/16/2012, 11:14 AM
Wow, I'm undeniably annoyed at all of you acting like this is funny, fair, or like we or any other school are better than this.

I wasn't getting that vibe at all.. at least not here. I think you have this board confused with TexAgs.

EatLeadCommie
2/16/2012, 12:13 PM
What Knippz said has a lot of merit to it. Hell, it's not like OU didn't experience this in the late 80s with CT being carted off to jail and having his picture plastered on the front of SI. Players partake liberally in the weed, and some are bound to sell it for a bit of extra cash, just like a lot of non student-athletes do.

Knippz
2/16/2012, 12:44 PM
This whole thing sickens me. Probably some jealous cops who either didn't go to college or have some sort of self-righteous complex. The idea that they spent 6 months on this case, focusing on these guys who otherwise have bright futures, just to make headlines, is disgusting.

What these kids were doing shouldn't constitute such a thorough investigation. They were dealing TINY, MINISCULE amounts of drugs, relative to what a real drug bust deals with.

How does this benefit anyone in ANY way? So some self righteous cops feel better about their miserable lives? So TCU can rid themselves of some of their best players? So those kids have virtually no chance of playing football professionally, and little chance of playing collegiate again? So TCU looks worse as a program?

Don't tell me it's to keep kids from doing drugs - they're going to do them whether it's a football player selling them or some rando drug dealer. Keeping drugs off the streets isn't the problem - not properly educating people about drugs is the problem. What does the average person know about Cocain, Heroine, Ecstacy, etc? I honestly know very little about any of these 3 drugs other than "Drugs are bad, mmkay". However, I do know a LOT about MJ, thanks to personal experience. And when I tried MJ for the first time I was severely disappointed because it was nothing like the commercials, teachers, and educators described. WTF everyone, why did you lie to me all those times?! How is my health teacher going to preach to me that weed is bad whenever he has (supposedly) never tried it? Or maybe he has tried it and is just lying to keep his role model/teacher persona? Either way, how do you trust the guy?

We need to explain why they are bad, how someone gets addicted and why, the effects and consequences on a time scale, etc. And we need people who HAVE experienced these things educating, not some biased person who's never tried them (basically a complete hypocrite).

This is just like the kids that got busted for illegally downloading music - they get TOTALLY EFFED for life to be made an example of, when almost EVERYONE in America was oing the exact same thing as them. It's horrible for the ones who get made an example of, and ridiculous that people spend such an amount of time to ruin someone's life over something so small.

setem
2/16/2012, 01:12 PM
This whole thing sickens me. Probably some jealous cops who either didn't go to college or have some sort of self-righteous complex. The idea that they spent 6 months on this case, focusing on these guys who otherwise have bright futures, just to make headlines, is disgusting.

What these kids were doing shouldn't constitute such a thorough investigation. They were dealing TINY, MINISCULE amounts of drugs, relative to what a real drug bust deals with.

How does this benefit anyone in ANY way? So some self righteous cops feel better about their miserable lives? So TCU can rid themselves of some of their best players? So those kids have virtually no chance of playing football professionally, and little chance of playing collegiate again? So TCU looks worse as a program?

Don't tell me it's to keep kids from doing drugs - they're going to do them whether it's a football player selling them or some rando drug dealer. Keeping drugs off the streets isn't the problem - not properly educating people about drugs is the problem. What does the average person know about Cocain, Heroine, Ecstacy, etc? I honestly know very little about any of these 3 drugs other than "Drugs are bad, mmkay". However, I do know a LOT about MJ, thanks to personal experience. And when I tried MJ for the first time I was severely disappointed because it was nothing like the commercials, teachers, and educators described. WTF everyone, why did you lie to me all those times?! How is my health teacher going to preach to me that weed is bad whenever he has (supposedly) never tried it? Or maybe he has tried it and is just lying to keep his role model/teacher persona? Either way, how do you trust the guy?

We need to explain why they are bad, how someone gets addicted and why, the effects and consequences on a time scale, etc. And we need people who HAVE experienced these things educating, not some biased person who's never tried them (basically a complete hypocrite).

This is just like the kids that got busted for illegally downloading music - they get TOTALLY EFFED for life to be made an example of, when almost EVERYONE in America was oing the exact same thing as them. It's horrible for the ones who get made an example of, and ridiculous that people spend such an amount of time to ruin someone's life over something so small.

I agree man even though this kid is a dumb *** for falling for the cops narc bs. This was a terrible allocation of resources. How about busting the real scum bags who deal and use meth? These kids got the crappy end of the stick for sure.

colleyvillesooner
2/16/2012, 01:21 PM
From @FollowFrogs

BREAKING: 5 TCU players tested positive for marijuana after Feb.1 test, source says; 11 others had trace amounts: READ: http://t.co/VyMEXnP4

Eielson
2/16/2012, 01:27 PM
I'm not buying the idea that every team has guys who deal drugs. Use? Yeah, but deal seems like a stretch.

jkjsooner
2/16/2012, 01:42 PM
How is my health teacher going to preach to me that weed is bad whenever he has (supposedly) never tried it? Or maybe he has tried it and is just lying to keep his role model/teacher persona? Either way, how do you trust the guy?

Would you say the same if we were talking about meth or heroin? That seems to be a ridiculous and dangerous prerequisite to teach the subject. We are a highly functioning species that is adept at sharing knowledge and learning from others.

I agree that the literature against MJ is a bit over the top and that probably does more harm than good but your assertion that someone who doesn't have personal experience isn't qualified to teach the dangers of drugs is absurd.

Knippz
2/16/2012, 01:44 PM
I'm not buying the idea that every team has guys who deal drugs. Use? Yeah, but deal seems like a stretch.I personally guarantee you that there's at least one player from all teams I mentioned, plus most every other school with a football program, that deals weed. Guarantee it!! Wouldn't even be surprised if (name removed) did.

badger
2/16/2012, 01:45 PM
I personally guarantee you that there's at least one player from all teams I mentioned, plus most every other school with a football program, that deals weed. Guarantee it!! Wouldn't even be surprised if (name removed) did.

I think that's taking your viewpoint WAAAAAY too far. Suggesting one of our guys by name of being a drug dealer. That's a bit much. :mad:

Knippz
2/16/2012, 01:54 PM
Would you say the same if we were talking about meth or heroin. That seems to be a ridiculous and dangerous prerequisite to teach the subject. We are a highly functioning species that is adept at sharing knowledge and learning from others.

I agree that the literature against MJ is a bit over the top and that probably does more harm than good but your assertion that someone who doesn't have personal experience isn't qualified to teach the dangers of drugs is absurd.
I don't know a lick about meth or heroin, but have been told that I should never do it and it's bad. To suggest that EVERY person that teaches about drugs should have to have tried them is absurd, I agree. But the majority of people that do teach about drugs have (and express) little knowledge of what those drugs do, why people do them, etc etc. This, IMO, is why so many people try drugs. What happens when you tell a child not to touch something because it's hot? The first thing he does is touch it. Maybe if you would have explained better - "Jimmy, if you touch this plate, your hand will burn for days, it'll leave a mark and possibly a scar, and you will cry."

Quite frankly, the majority of people that teach about drugs are under qualified and clueless. The way we handle things like this is the farthest thing from logical.

BeaSooner
2/16/2012, 01:56 PM
Yep - over the line.

Knippz
2/16/2012, 01:58 PM
I think that's taking your viewpoint WAAAAAY too far. Suggesting one of our guys by name of being a drug dealer. That's a bit much. :mad:I didn't suggest it, I said I wouldn't be surprised. Dude's all tatted up, from Cali, and has disciplinary problems. C'mon now, are you saying you'd be surprised? I'm not saying he does, but I wouldn't be shocked whatsoever if I found out that he does. I'd be more shocked to find out that he doesn't ever smoke.

And I effing love (name removed), don't take this the wrong way.

Hell, I'd be willing to bet that (name removed) had his days as well.

Knippz
2/16/2012, 02:04 PM
Has anyone here actually ever been to a football party? I have a feeling if some of you did, your viewpoints on a LOT of players would change dramatically. Some crazy stuff happens, and guys you think are classy are complete slobs, a-holes, and arrogant as can be. This is college, and these guys party HARD.

badger
2/16/2012, 02:05 PM
I didn't suggest it, I said I wouldn't be surprised. Dude's all tatted up, from Cali, and has disciplinary problems. C'mon now, are you saying you'd be surprised? I'm not saying he does, but I wouldn't be shocked whatsoever if I found out that he does. I'd be more shocked to find out that he doesn't ever smoke.

That sounds like stereotyping and I'm not exactly fond of that either. It might sound like I'm picking on you or being overly sensitive, but dealing drugs is sh!t that gets you at least kicked off the team and out of school, and at worst, spending years in prison with your once promising life ruined.

I would be surprised, but more than that, I would be disappointed. Severely, severely disappointed, kind of like I am in the fact that we are suggesting our own players by name that we think, without any proof whatsoever, might be guilty of a felony, because that's what drug dealing is, a FELONY. :mad:

Just give it up, man. Don't go there.

Breadburner
2/16/2012, 02:14 PM
Nips is on the sauce...Alot of stupid in one thread.....

Knippz
2/16/2012, 02:21 PM
That sounds like stereotyping and I'm not exactly fond of that either. It might sound like I'm picking on you or being overly sensitive, but dealing drugs is sh!t that gets you at least kicked off the team and out of school, and at worst, spending years in prison with your once promising life ruined.

I would be surprised, but more than that, I would be disappointed. Severely, severely disappointed, kind of like I am in the fact that we are suggesting our own players by name that we think, without any proof whatsoever, might be guilty of a felony, because that's what drug dealing is, a FELONY. :mad:

Just give it up, man. Don't go there.

I don't get it - why do people just blindly pretend like stuff like this doesn't happen all the time. Maybe I'm around football player more than some, but from my experiences a LARGE portion of collegiate football players smoke weed, and often times one member of the team deals. Same thing with fraternities, sororities, etc.

Maybe it's a parents complex where they don't want to believe their kid does anything bad, when in actuality, their kid is partying every night and getting completely effed up. I know tons of parents who think their children are saints, yet I see these kids drinking excessively, having sex, doing Molly/coke/X on a regular basis.

Sorry if it hurts your feelings or you think it's wrong that I don't shut my eyes to things like this, but the truth is, it happens all the time, even with OUr players, and many of you would be very "disappointed" if you knew what OUr players are really like.

Knippz
2/16/2012, 02:24 PM
Nips is on the sauce...Alot of stupid in one thread.....
Not trying to personally attack you, but your post isn't exactly full of smart. C'mon man, give me an argument back - don't just call me stupid and have no basis for it.

badger
2/16/2012, 02:31 PM
I don't get it - why do people just blindly pretend like stuff like this doesn't happen all the time. Maybe I'm around football player more than some, but from my experiences a LARGE portion of collegiate football players smoke weed, and often times one member of the team deals. Same thing with fraternities, sororities, etc.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. YOU are the one that named our players by name as people who you thought not just used drugs, but dealt drugs.

Sorry if it hurts your feelings or you think it's wrong that I don't shut my eyes to things like this, but the truth is, it happens all the time, even with OUr players, and many of you would be very "disappointed" if you knew what OUr players are really like.

It's not about shutting eyes, it's about naming some of our players BY NAME as people you think are drug dealers! Does that not cross you mind as an incredibly bad thing to say? Just say "It probably happens here" and leave it at that! There is a big difference to be saying one sentence that someone on every team "deals weed" then say "Wouldn't even be surprised if (name removed) did." and then say "I'd be willing to bet that (name removed) had his days as well."

Mentioning our players by name with the idea of players "dealing weed" is where it crosses the line. YOU have crossed the line, IMHO. You haven't hurt my feelers, you are just digging yourself in a hole if you trying to justify typing that sh!t, especially here.

Knippz
2/16/2012, 02:43 PM
Again, I never EVER said I thought he smoked or dealt, I said I wouldn't be surprised if he did. I honestly think you're lying to yourself if you say you wouldn't be surprised either. Good lord, get out of your fantasy land. Sorry I mentioned (name removed), but I'm not making allegations here {he was just a random example). The fact is - it happens. I promise you that at least ONE of your favorite players has done hardcore drugs (unless you have some crazy limited list of favorite players).

And dealing Weed is not as hardcore or uncommon as many think. Almost every dealer I ever had for weed was a College football player (2 of them are starting in the NFL right now). Football players don't exactly have the highest source of income in college - they don't have time for a job and financial aid only covers so much. Many guys have to find a way to create income (especially if they lack assistance from their parents), and it's very common for college students and athletes to try and bring a little extra income by selling weed (or Aderal, Hydrocodones...anything easy to get your hands on that people will consistently buy).

badger
2/16/2012, 02:49 PM
Sorry I mentioned (name removed)

This is all that I wanted to hear. Thanks. I'll bypass the rest and end the argument.

picasso
2/16/2012, 02:52 PM

Who is acting smug? I know the athletes like the reefer. I twas in college once. But this goes beyond one player standing on the corner at the quad.

Knippz
2/16/2012, 02:54 PM
Oh and to address your "high and mighty" approach to stereotypes - stereotypes exist because they are usually correct. I'm sure you (maybe even subconsciously) stereotype things and people your fair share, and with good basis. Most stereotypes are true.

picasso
2/16/2012, 02:57 PM
Not trying to personally attack you, but your post isn't exactly full of smart. C'mon man, give me an argument back - don't just call me stupid and have no basis for it.
What argument? This is a large combined effort, it's not Charles Thompson dealing coke. I'm sorry but these kids ****ed up and they have no one to blame but themselves. Cry me a river.

Knippz
2/16/2012, 03:02 PM
Lame. Not trying to start an argument or make hard feelings here - this is what I truly believe and think (and even know). I'm not arguing that (name removed) or any specific players smoke or deal - I'm saying it's a common thing for college football players to do, this whole thing was overblown and unnecessary and ony makes things worse, not better. We could handle things better and I believe it starts with proper education, not some....wait for it.....Stereotype of what drugs do to you. If someone would like to discuss this with me, I'm all for it. But if you're going to make short, smart allic comments, or try to pick me apart on a very small example in one portion of my argument, just save it. This is obviously over your head.

And in my OP I claimed "all of you guys...". This isn't true, just a few comments were lame, not all. My bad.

Knippz
2/16/2012, 03:08 PM
What argument? This is a large combined effort, it's not Charles Thompson dealing coke. I'm sorry but these kids ****ed up and they have no one to blame but themselves. Cry me a river.
To poke fun at these kids is lame and naive - this very well could have been us, and as a winning team, we're very lucky we didn't have some case on any of OUr players. Not to mention, these are still just kids. They probably just ruined their entire lives at 20-22 years old. That's some real stuff that's not something to joke about.

soonerfire13
2/16/2012, 03:16 PM
Silly cops, with nothing else better to do than harassing a few good spirited college kids trying to make some extra money. How dare them not turn a blind eye to drug trafficking, don't they know it's ok if they play college football!!
(Note: heavy sarcasm.)

Knippz
2/16/2012, 03:23 PM
Silly cops, with nothing else better to do than harassing a few good spirited college kids trying to make some extra money. How dare them not turn a blind eye to drug trafficking, don't they know it's ok if they play college football!!
If you look at it in that way, sure. But I like to weigh the pros and cons of these things, and see how it affects society as a whole, negatively and positively. In my opinion, there are many more negatives drawn from this bust than positives, and the negatives greatly outweigh the positives.

jkjsooner
2/16/2012, 03:26 PM

I'm sorry but it is not true that almost everyone is selling drugs.

Whether or not you agree with the drug policy, everyone knows or should know that the government considers selling drugs to be a very serious crime. These guys all knew that and chose to take the risk. You see guys daily get busted for this and spend a long time in prison for it. It's not a surprise.

The fact is that the only way they can make decent dough from selling drugs is because the consequences of getting caught are so severe. If it were a slap on the wrist drugs would be as cheap as dirt and there wouldn't be any money in producing or distributing it. So they're willing to reap the rewards without paying the consequences. It's hard to feel sorry for them.

If one of two of these guys were only acting as an unpaid middleman - buying from a dealer and giving some to their friends and only making the friends pay their fair share - then I would feel sorry for them.

Anyway, this has almost nothing in common to the people caught downloading music. Everyone isn't doing it and people know well in advance that getting caught will result in severe punishment.

jkjsooner
2/16/2012, 03:41 PM
Again, I never EVER said I thought he smoked or dealt, I said I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

We recognize that you have no knowledge of any specific OU player selling drugs and you weren't making a specific claim that any specific person was. If you did we'd be suggesting you get a good lawyer who handles libel cases.

Even that said, bringing up a specific name wasn't the brightest thing to do. How would you like it if someone said, "I wouldn't be surprised if Knippz sold drugs"? Even if they just picked your name out at random among those who they thought matched a drug dealer's profile, that statement would be highly offensive. It's possible that you wouldn't be offended by it but many would.

setem
2/16/2012, 03:56 PM

Trafficking? These kids were dealing with very small amounts man! These guys are not a drug cartel!

Pot being illegal is ridiculous in the first place. Would you rather deal with a drunk who might kill someone or a guy who loves watching cartoon and is funny as ****?

StoopTroup
2/16/2012, 04:04 PM
Don't do drugs. Play football.

Mississippi Sooner
2/16/2012, 04:07 PM
I tried to play football on drugs once, but the goal posts kept melting.

StoopTroup
2/16/2012, 04:10 PM
Trafficking? These kids were dealing with very small amounts man! These guys are not a drug cartel!

Pot being illegal is ridiculous in the first place. Would you rather deal with a drunk who might kill someone or a guy who loves watching cartoon and if funny as ****?

I think the Olympics have taken drug testing to an all time high and I would in no way find it fair to put kids in that kind of situation but requiring Football players and Student Athletes to do a Spectro-Analysis every 45 days would put an end to headlines like these. If they are doing one drug test a year and expecting kids to be clean in College they arent being realistic or even showing that they give a **** about whether the kids do drugs or not. They might as well just quit doing drug tests at all.

Eielson
2/16/2012, 04:36 PM
How is my health teacher going to preach to me that weed is bad whenever he has (supposedly) never tried it?

While there are limits to what somebody knows if they haven't ever used the drug, there are just as many flaws in having somebody who is addicted to the drug teaching about it. Doctors diagnose diseases all the time that they have never had. I don't need a doctor who has AIDS to inform me about, or diagnose me with AIDS. If you've studied it thoroughly enough and from credible sources, it's absolutely possible to not have a disease/problem and yet still be highly informed about it. Also, just because you have a problem doesn't necessarily mean you're highly informed about it. I generally prefer people to have the "classroom knowledge" along with actual application, but this is one of the situations where the actual application can be just as harmful as beneficial.

The strongest lessons I've learned about drugs have in fact been from people who have had addictions and overcame them, or at least began the process, but unfortunately I met most of these people at places like homeless shelters. My heart really goes out to those people, but I can't find fault in the school system not wanting to expose the children to people like that. Putting ex-cons, homeless people, etc. into schools wouldn't be the most popular idea.

budbarrybob
2/16/2012, 05:32 PM
I think it's funny, fair and yes it's most likely happening on the OU campus. :P Someone once said... "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime"

All_Day_28
2/16/2012, 06:11 PM
I didn't suggest it, I said I wouldn't be surprised. Dude's all tatted up, from Cali, and has disciplinary problems. C'mon now, are you saying you'd be surprised? I'm not saying he does, but I wouldn't be shocked whatsoever if I found out that he does. I'd be more shocked to find out that he doesn't ever smoke.

I can speak directly to what u said about (name removed). I worked with his mom at the Dillard's in Norman at Sooner Fashion mall when he was still in high school and being recruited and I will say this, I have a ton of respect for the man because he came a long way after making his mistake his freshman year with his incident. But I can tell u this AS FACT, when I worked there, he would come in all the time with a group of his thugged out friends (not judging because when I was a teenager I surrounded myself with people like that as well) and they would all be completely blazed up (that's high for you old fogies) and actin' a fool.. And I am in no way implying he was ever a drug dealer. It was fun times laughing with them and their glazed red eyes, half way closed. And that's why I say I have a ton of respect for the young man because he has obviously changed it around and that's a hard thing to do at a young age.. It really takes being a leader. Believe me, don't, it doesn't make me no difference, but I'm not a storyteller.

picasso
2/16/2012, 06:53 PM

Pot being illegal is ridiculous in the first place. Would you rather deal with a drunk who might kill someone or a guy who loves watching cartoon and is funny as ****?
It wasn't JUST pot. Read more of it. And it's still illegal and as a parent of toddlers who happens to live right near a division 1 college myself, I'm sure as hell glad that the football players who are there on a free scholarship are not selling effing drugs on campus.

ashley
2/16/2012, 08:45 PM
When do they start screaming for Patterson's head? He has obviously lost control of his team.

You must be kidding. Lost control? How in the hell is any coach suppose to know what his players are doing at night or in the off season. You want the coache to know what a hundred players are doing and a parent doesn't even know what his or her one kid is doing.

ashley
2/16/2012, 08:47 PM
Yeah, very telling that TCU was doing the absolute right thing in this situation now by not bailing out a star player and instead for the good of the campus to get a drug dealer the eff out.

The team could have been warned at the drug tests that they were closing in on dealers, but instead, either Brock was a moron or TCU was discrete enough to do the testing without anyone suspecting an ongoing investigation. And this was just two weeks ago!

But... TCU is not completely innocent here. It sounds like they should have caught some of these guys before for usage and haven't. Hmmm...
How?

8timechamps
2/16/2012, 10:03 PM
I personally guarantee you that there's at least one player from all teams I mentioned, plus most every other school with a football program, that deals weed. Guarantee it!! Wouldn't even be surprised if (name removed) did.

I'm sure you've figured this out by now, but it's not a good idea to guarantee a current player (by name) is breaking the law. Your opinions are welcome here, just refrain from doing this in the future. I've edited all of the mentions (names) in previous posts. I don't want to close the thread, because I think it's a healthy debate, and otherwise I see no issues. So, as long as everyone can heed that warning, argue away...

Thanks for your cooperation.

SoonerMom2
2/16/2012, 10:37 PM
These students were also dealing cocaine, ecstacy and prescription drugs so anyone defending it was just a little pot needs to read the entire story from the police department. (http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/02/15/multiple-tcu-students-arrested-in-campus-drug-bust/)

These were dealers not users so they were idiots on top of everything else. It also turned out that the one loud mouthed football player dealer didn't know what he was talking about with the team as he said 82 players would fail the test but here are the results:

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports, according to a source, that five football players tested positive for marijuana during a drug test initiated by head coach Gary Patterson on Feb. 1. Another 11 players reportedly had trace amounts of pot, but were within the margin of error. (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/16/report-five-tcu-players-failed-feb-1-drug-test/)

FroggyStyle22
2/16/2012, 11:06 PM
Actually if you read the police affidavits, the arrested football players were only selling pot and in small amounts. There is nothing in the reports connecting them to the other dealers. That being said, I'm glad they are no longer on the team. We don't need that type of distraction. Especially this year.

StoopTroup
2/17/2012, 12:49 AM
Actually if you read the police affidavits, the arrested football players were only selling pot and in small amounts. There is nothing in the reports connecting them to the other dealers. That being said, I'm glad they are no longer on the team. We don't need that type of distraction. Especially this year.

Police affidavits are great and all....but what is the DA actually trying to hang them with?

dwarthog
2/17/2012, 08:34 AM
These students were also dealing cocaine, ecstacy and prescription drugs so anyone defending it was just a little pot needs to read the entire story from the police department. (http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/02/15/multiple-tcu-students-arrested-in-campus-drug-bust/)

These were dealers not users so they were idiots on top of everything else. It also turned out that the one loud mouthed football player dealer didn't know what he was talking about with the team as he said 82 players would fail the test but here are the results:

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports, according to a source, that five football players tested positive for marijuana during a drug test initiated by head coach Gary Patterson on Feb. 1. Another 11 players reportedly had trace amounts of pot, but were within the margin of error. (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/16/report-five-tcu-players-failed-feb-1-drug-test/)

Thank you for inserting some perspective here. Smoking some weed isn't the issue.

Jason White's Third Knee
2/17/2012, 09:11 AM
I'm not buying the idea that every team has guys who deal drugs. Use? Yeah, but deal seems like a stretch.I personally guarantee you that there's at least one player from all teams I mentioned, plus most every other school with a football program, that deals weed. Guarantee it!! Wouldn't even be surprised if (name removed) did.

Well you bought weed from an NFL player years ago so that obviously gives you more credibility than a teacher.

Dude. Your posts are baffling. No one is reveling in tcu's issues. I personally don't care about pot but cocaine, X, and some pills are quite different. Pot is illegal even if the effects aren't a big deal. They know this going in. And if these kids were on scholarship then they were overtly taking advantage of their situation. If some chump is dealing coke and is on the team he is not a victim. There is no question it is against the rules. You sell coke, you are out. Period. Don't justify that action. Getting a coke dealer off of campus does not constitute a witch hunt. It is getting a coke dealer off of campus.

What are you thinking? That question is rhetorical because I really don't want to know.

badger
2/17/2012, 09:27 AM
I do secretly wonder if we would revel in the situation a bit more if it were one of our Big 12 traitors that got caught or if it were whorn (cue clicking noises with tongue "tsk tsk, that's texas for ya.")

But, I guess what makes this situation unique is that this isn't UT, this is TU, with a "C" stuck in the middle, so you hold the "C" part of that name to a higher standard automatically --- private, religious school, yknow? Honor codes and stuff.

So, that's probably what puts a damper in anyone :D or :P or :) about this. Most probably expected this at a UT, or heaven forbid, an OU, not a tCu.

I mean, I think there's a lot of younger posters here like me that know that this goes on everywhere, regardless of the school or religious affiliation, even at the high school level, but at a mainstream level, I think it was a shock to many.

dwarthog
2/17/2012, 09:43 AM
I do secretly wonder if we would revel in the situation a bit more if it were one of our Big 12 traitors that got caught or if it were whorn (cue clicking noises with tongue "tsk tsk, that's texas for ya.")

But, I guess what makes this situation unique is that this isn't UT, this is TU, with a "C" stuck in the middle, so you hold the "C" part of that name to a higher standard automatically --- private, religious school, yknow? Honor codes and stuff.

So, that's probably what puts a damper in anyone :D or :P or :) about this. Most probably expected this at a UT, or heaven forbid, an OU, not a tCu.

I mean, I think there's a lot of younger posters here like me that know that this goes on everywhere, regardless of the school or religious affiliation, even at the high school level, but at a mainstream level, I think it was a shock to many.

Just to stir the pot, I would imagine that if this was taking place at UT there wouldn't even be a thread on the subject as it would quickly be "resolved" and all traces swept under the rug and when next fall rolls around a couple of guys may curiously be missing from the roster for medical issues.

badger
2/17/2012, 10:14 AM
Just to stir the pot, I would imagine that if this was taking place at UT there wouldn't even be a thread on the subject as it would quickly be "resolved" and all traces swept under the rug and when next fall rolls around a couple of guys may curiously be missing from the roster for medical issues.

Mack Brown gathers his team players for their daily team hug, and then things start to get weird(er than they usually are with team hugs):

:mack: Good morning, my beloved children (lifts shirt to reveal being wired). As you all know, substance abuse is a very serious issue (Major Applewhite holds up a big sign behind Mack that says "YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE DRUG TESTED") and something we take very seriously here at the University of Texas (other assistants hold up signs that say "IF YOU NEED CLEAN PEE, RAISE A HOOK EM HAND SIGN"). Please line up single file to the locker room bathrooms (Mack deliberately shakes his head and points frantically to the assistants with room-temperature yellow liquid canisters that are labeled "TAKE ONE AND ONLY ONE, WE HAVE 100+ PLAYERS THAT NEED TO PASS THIS TEST") and follow the instructions of the testers.

CatfishSooner
2/17/2012, 02:20 PM
SOME OU football players definitely sell weed...I wouldn't name names, but I think people are being naive if they don't think some of our players do this...

badger
2/17/2012, 03:29 PM
SOME OU football players definitely sell weed...I wouldn't name names, but I think people are being naive if they don't think some of our players do this...

If it happens it happens, but don't discount the fact that our team just got a really harsh lesson in life on what happens when you overuse prescription drugs. I can't think of anything that would scare people away from drug use faster than losing a closer friend and teammate. :(

StoopTroup
2/17/2012, 10:30 PM
NSFW

A dance with the Devil....Might last you fo ever....WORD !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qggxTtnKTMo

bluedogok
2/18/2012, 10:40 AM
You must be kidding. Lost control? How in the hell is any coach suppose to know what his players are doing at night or in the off season. You want the coache to know what a hundred players are doing and a parent doesn't even know what his or her one kid is doing.I think that may have been a dig at what was happening at the end of Switzer's career when a handful of players caused the problems that eventually got him fired. The media and some administrators were claiming that Switzer had "lost control" of the program because of issues with 10 or so players that became very high profile.

picasso
2/18/2012, 11:26 AM
I don't get your point. That still doesn't make it right. And if we're so chock full of little drug dealers then I suspect we're in for a big sting right?

badger
2/18/2012, 11:34 AM
I don't get your point. That still doesn't make it right. And if we're so chock full of little drug dealers then I suspect we're in for a big sting right?

Word. The Norman police (that we probably all have our own stories about) have, in the past several years, arrested our players for a seatbelt violation. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090415_92_0_NRAkao749644&allcom=1), for unpaid traffic fines (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110824_92_B6_CUTLIN938974) and yeah, a possession of marijuana (http://www.holdoutsports.com/2011/02/another-day-another-oklahoma-football.html). If they are arresting our guys for that, they will definitely not hesitate to shut down drug dealing operations if given the opportunity.

freshchris05
2/19/2012, 11:12 AM
Norman PD blows.

Carry on...

MamaMia
2/19/2012, 03:40 PM
When do they start screaming for Patterson's head? He has obviously lost control of his team.When he has a couple of losing seasons.

BoomerJ
2/19/2012, 08:14 PM
Drugs are Bad...M'kay.

NYC Poke
2/20/2012, 12:25 AM
I think that may have been a dig at what was happening at the end of Switzer's career when a handful of players caused the problems that eventually got him fired. The media and some administrators were claiming that Switzer had "lost control" of the program because of issues with 10 or so players that became very high profile.

I've always found that accusation as odd because coaches are actually limited in their interactions with players in order to close the loophole on the permitted coaching hours.

Wishboned
2/20/2012, 09:57 AM
I think that may have been a dig at what was happening at the end of Switzer's career when a handful of players caused the problems that eventually got him fired. The media and some administrators were claiming that Switzer had "lost control" of the program because of issues with 10 or so players that became very high profile.

You nailed it!

When he has a couple of losing seasons.

And when he's no longer a media darling. The only thing the media likes better than building someone up, is turning around and tearing them down.