PDA

View Full Version : this year will probably be my last...

ouwino
2/15/2012, 10:57 AM
my final year to be a season ticket holder?????

getting very frustrated with the lack of concern for the fans

kick off times at 6, 7, 8, and even 9 pm.

now we are talking about possibly some thursday games.

not for me. cant do it.

i live 3 and 1/2 hours from norman. a 6pm kick off concludes at 10. it takes about an hour to get out of norman and the traffic. then a 3 1/2 hour drive home. now do the math for the later games.

i have been a donor and season ticket holder since 1977. this is very disturbing for me. i bleed crimson and cream. my sons were raised going to norman on saturdays to watch the sooners. that was back when we werent very good (Gibbs, Schelly, and Blake).

with reallignments, and tv packages, and just the lack of concern for the fans at the stadium, i am really thinking i am at the end of my run.

if tv is so much more important than the fans.... i think i can watch my HDTV 48 inch, with Bose surround sound... i am just steps from a clean restroom and a cold beer (remember when you could take beer in the stadium?????) try it now!!!!! the powers that be (tv and administrators) have made it too dang inconvenient to attend games.

this really saddens me. if feels like a part of me is gonna be dead if i dont buy the tickets. but, some changes have to be made.

i will always be a sooner fan, i will die a sooner fan... but i think it is time to give up the season ticket adventure.... guess i am just getting too dang old.

SoonerAtKU
2/15/2012, 11:03 AM
I think this is becoming a concern for football fans across the board. Prime TV watching time is not the same as prime in-person watching time. Also, football is one sport that is objectively better on TV than in person. Now, you can't duplicate the atmosphere of walking across campus and tailgating, but the actual game is better on TV. If you add in increasing ticket prices and donation levels, it's a tough sell if money and time are at all an issue.

badger
2/15/2012, 11:16 AM
Remember back in the early aughts when we were having tons of 11 a.m. or noon kickoffs and there were fan gripes that the games were too early?

Alas, I'm not sure a few fan complaints or a few fans dropping season tickets will make the athletic department change their mind on scheduling. I am not sure what the waiting list is for season tickets, but my guess is that it isn't a tiny number.

StoopTroup
2/15/2012, 11:16 AM
You both have just made some folks on the waiting list very happy. Thank you.

BetterSoonerThanLater
2/15/2012, 11:22 AM

not for me. cant do it.

i live 3 and 1/2 hours from norman. a 6pm kick off concludes at 10. it takes about an hour to get out of norman and the traffic. then a 3 1/2 hour drive home. now do the math for the later games.

i have been a donor and season ticket holder since 1977. this is very disturbing for me. i bleed crimson and cream. my sons were raised going to norman on saturdays to watch the sooners. that was back when we werent very good (Gibbs, Schelly, and Blake).

with reallignments, and tv packages, and just the lack of concern for the fans at the stadium, i am really thinking i am at the end of my run.

if tv is so much more important than the fans.... i think i can watch my HDTV 48 inch, with Bose surround sound... i am just steps from a clean restroom and a cold beer (remember when you could take beer in the stadium?????) try it now!!!!! the powers that be (tv and administrators) have made it too dang inconvenient to attend games.

this really saddens me. if feels like a part of me is gonna be dead if i dont buy the tickets. but, some changes have to be made.

i will always be a sooner fan, i will die a sooner fan... but i think it is time to give up the season ticket adventure.... guess i am just getting too dang old.

maybe you should change your name to "OUWhiner"

;) j/k i completely agree with you. night games are cool-- once in a while-- 9pm? ridiculous

SoonerAtKU
2/15/2012, 11:23 AM
Oh, not me. I'd get tickets if I lived closer, but I'm not about to spring for them living in St. Louis. I'm not at a place in my life where I can justify spending the money and time to get down there 6-7 times a year every fall. I'd love it, but it's just not responsible for me to do it right now. Maybe in a few years, things will be different. My daughter will be older and can go with me, that stuff.

dwarthog
2/15/2012, 11:27 AM
IMO, yet another reason eSpn is bad for sports.

setem
2/15/2012, 12:35 PM
I love 9pm games! Extra time to get swilled up!

texaspokieokie
2/15/2012, 12:40 PM
ouwino stated my reasons for giving up. call us whiners if you wish, but try driving back to dallas co. after the nite games. Last season will be my last as season ticket holder.

Since 1989.

badger
2/15/2012, 12:51 PM
You guys that are considering giving up your tickets should sublet em or something rather than give em up entirely. Just because we're scheduling 9 p.m.'s today doesn't we will in the coming season. Like I said, it was a less than a decade ago that we were kicking off at 11 a.m. repeatedly.

On top of that, we are going to have good really good home games in the coming years. Ohio State... Tennessee... LSU... West Virginia...

olevetonahill
2/15/2012, 12:58 PM
I've already booked my rooms for the home games
Why in hell would anyone try to drive home that late whether they had been drankin er not?
I drive up on Fri. an stay till Sun. Hell its only 6 times a year

LVSOONER15
2/15/2012, 01:14 PM
I prefer games that start at 2:30 or later. It just makes the whole day better by hanging out and tailgating till game time and even afterward. I come from out of state and spend the night so leaving right after isn't a big thing.

SoonerDood
2/15/2012, 01:15 PM
Remember back in the early aughts when we were having tons of 11 a.m. or noon kickoffs and there were fan gripes that the games were too early?

THIS.

StoopTroup
2/15/2012, 01:17 PM
Oh, not me. I'd get tickets if I lived closer, but I'm not about to spring for them living in St. Louis. I'm not at a place in my life where I can justify spending the money and time to get down there 6-7 times a year every fall. I'd love it, but it's just not responsible for me to do it right now. Maybe in a few years, things will be different. My daughter will be older and can go with me, that stuff.

I don't disagree with you on that. It's a long way to Norman from St Lou. You should try to make 1 or 2 games a year as watching on TV sucks balls compared to spending the day or even a couple of days in Norman seeing a game IMO.

I really do understand Wino's position as there have been quite a few SFs that have sold their Season Tickets gambling on the fact that they can get better seats by just showing up in Norman and finding tickets for sale and by years end they will have spent less than if they had continued to buy Season Tickets every year.

If Someone like Wino finds it hard to sell the tickets they have when they can't go or feel that the time that the games are held make it difficult for them to travel and make games, then it's a personal call IMO and I respect why they might do it.

We travel from Tulsa every game and I can't say there have been some games that we didn't find very fun because of the game time. It would be awesome if the games were all the same when it came to Home Games. A 2:30 pm start is perfect for us as it allows us to make a Day out of it. 11am forces us to either leave around 6am or stay in Norman over night. A 9 pm game would have us staying the night. It's something we have been struggling with for awhile.

2:30 pm games probably make the most money for folks who have restaurants and beer stands in Norman but if the University is busy trying to stop beer/alcohol sales and smoking, it would seem the only thing the University cares about is the amount of dough they take in. They pay a lot of money for Coaches now and unless the Locals are making consistently huge donations, it would seem they have decided to bank On the TV profits rather than the ticket sales and donations.

We have sat in the South EZ for years and the University has renewed our seats without trying to change their policy of certain seating areas or getting the same seats every year having to require a donation every year. Is that so that they can make more in donatiOns for the 45,000 or so donors that expect to get RRSO lottery seats every year or just something they haven't thought about changing?

We have watched the price of tickets go up over the years and the price we are paying is getting quite high. If OU had won all four of those NCs they went to, I'd have to think that folks might be paying as much as $1,000 per seat by now for each Season Ticket.

By the amount of folks complaining about 10-3 Seasons, it would seem to me that the cost of going to Sooner Home Games has reached its limit for many fans and that unless they begin bringing Home a NC every three or Four years, we will see some new folks sitting next to us pretty soon.

StoopTroup
2/15/2012, 01:34 PM
TV times are what will decide the start times for many games and don't be surprised if more and more big Games start being scheduled on Thursday, Friday and Sundays.

badger
2/15/2012, 01:35 PM
Crazy thought: college football may soon be facing the same attendance woes that college basketball is.

The rabid fanbases demand for good basketball drives schools to build fancy facilities, hire top paid coaches and have astronomical recruiting budgets. Ticket prices are raised accordingly to pay for it all.

And slowly, people lose interest in the regular season or find alternative means of watching their beloved team.

Suddenly full basketball arenas have declining attendance, and declining concession and merchandise revenues. Even if they sell the season tickets, fans just don't bother showing up, because game attendance isn't important to them anymore.

Football is on the verge of going to some sort of playoff. Even if it doesn't, are fans starting to tire of attending college games in football, also?

TheUnnamedSooner
2/15/2012, 01:46 PM
Also, football is one sport that is objectively better on TV than in person.

I think you are wrong here. Football is the one sport that is 100x better watching in person. There is so much going on that covers so much of the field that the TV cameras just cant capture. I thoroughly enjoy watching defenses, their formations, the schemes, the disguises. The only thing you get to see on tv is where the football is. You can't sit there and watch a CB make a move to trick the QB or moves a receiver will make on the secondary. You also miss all the communication and body language from the players to the coaches. TV is much better for basketball where they get half the court on the screen and you can see everything or baseball where so little is going on.

oudavid1
2/15/2012, 01:47 PM
http://www.imageleech.net/data/media/1/well_bye_2.jpg

budbarrybob
2/15/2012, 05:27 PM
I, too, think that the TV offers a much better "view" of the game. If I sat on the 50 yrd line maybe my opinion would be somewhat better. I like the comforts of being home watching a game vs in the rain/cold/blistering heat. Every year I weigh the pros and cons of going to the games and every stinking year the cons win out. And every year I go to every home game...:adoration:

Seamus
2/15/2012, 07:27 PM
You both have just made some folks on the waiting list very happy. Thank you.

LOL

OklaPony
2/15/2012, 07:28 PM
If any of these sets of season tix are transfer-eligible that y'all are giving up, drop me a P.M. I'd consider taking them off your hands depending on the section.

TrueBornSooner
2/15/2012, 07:53 PM
We've opted out the last couple of years - shoring up the kiddos college fund is a little higher on the priority list. I have to say I miss the sound and atmosphere of being at the game, but I sure don't miss the expense of it.

8timechamps
2/15/2012, 09:15 PM
You do realize that Castiglione isn't sitting in his office thinking "how can I really **** off long term season ticket holders?", don't you?

It's all driven by the networks. It's also the price you pay in this day and age, when your team is a national brand. I remember when you were lucky to see one or two games televised a year, and there was a lot of bitching about that. Now, you can see almost (if not) every Sooner game on TV, and people continue to bitch. There is no 'happy' place in the middle.

Now, if you can't make the games (for whatever reason), and want to give up your seats so that some of the thousands on the waiting list can get their shot, go for it. There is nothing wrong with that.

Oh, and football is much better watched on TV, but you don't get the game day feeling of being at the stadium. So, it's 6 of one, and a half dozen of the other.

Phil
2/15/2012, 10:07 PM

Now, let's be honest here. The latest scheduled kickoff ever in Norman was the 8 pm kickoff for the Colorado game last year. I should know - been to every night game in the history of the stadium. I agree, that's too late. But it's happened once. The Tech game you can't blame on anyone - that was the weather. And, if you'll recall, it was Joe Cash who went to bat after a season of nothing but night games and got the last home game moved to an early kickoff.

Do like Vet does - spend the night. I schedule my road game trips (for long distances, at least) to go out Friday and return Sunday. No issues with scheduling then.

AlboSooner
2/15/2012, 10:58 PM
this is good news. More tickets for the rest of us who are waiting.

Soonerus
2/15/2012, 11:04 PM
Just buy tickets by the game, they are easy to get every game and a lot cheaper than you would pay OU...I have been doing it for many years...and I sit where I want each game...

StoopTroup
2/16/2012, 02:11 AM
I think you are wrong here. Football is the one sport that is 100x better watching in person. There is so much going on that covers so much of the field that the TV cameras just cant capture. I thoroughly enjoy watching defenses, their formations, the schemes, the disguises. The only thing you get to see on tv is where the football is. You can't sit there and watch a CB make a move to trick the QB or moves a receiver will make on the secondary. You also miss all the communication and body language from the players to the coaches. TV is much better for basketball where they get half the court on the screen and you can see everything or baseball where so little is going on.

Being able to see a game and then rewatch it when you get Home is the best. Anyone saying watching on TV is the best way of watching a Sooner Game when you can do both is out of their mind. There is nothing like being one of the 86,000 OU Fans yelling and screaming and cheering their butts off.

Great Post.

auto
2/16/2012, 07:31 AM
I live in Dallas, and much would rather have the night games. The weather is absolutely perfect, provides a ton of time to watch other day games, catch up with family and friends, and tailgate all day. I hate 11:00.a.m. and 2:30p.m. games, not enough time to do a damn thing.

TrueBornSooner
2/16/2012, 08:55 AM
I live in Dallas as well and we always liked the 2:30. We can get on the road at 8, be there by 11:30, do pre-game stuff, leave by 6:30, be home by 10pm. It just means no hotel stays, so the city of Norman hates it.

OULenexaman
2/16/2012, 09:01 AM
Way too many night games....period.

texaspokieokie
2/16/2012, 09:34 AM
We are (or were) surrounded by a family from OKC, they already have 10 tickets, they are donors & i'm sure they'll absorb out tickets.

Condescending Sooner
2/16/2012, 09:51 AM
The large waiting list is fiction in my opinion. I have tried to sell season tickets in the past for face value, and there were no takers. It's easy to put your name on a list, but when it comes time to write the check, everything changes.

I finally gave up last year and let them go back. I can attend the decent games and get tickets on the street for $20.00

XingTheRubicon
2/16/2012, 09:59 AM
I miss the 1:30 starts that we had for about 15 straight years in the 70s and 80s.

OULenexaman
2/16/2012, 10:12 AM
I'm with that Xing....good times. Best I remember.....the 70's were kinda tough on me.

StoopTroup
2/16/2012, 10:59 AM
I
The large waiting list is fiction in my opinion. I have tried to sell season tickets in the past for face value, and there were no takers. It's easy to put your name on a list, but when it comes time to write the check, everything changes.

I finally gave up last year and let them go back. I can attend the decent games and get tickets on the street for $20.00
Not for The Fexas Tech Game where we ruined Fezas chances to win the Big XII or the FSU game you didn't. You either ponied up a hundred per ticket or you watched the game from the parking lot on TV.
Now don't get me wrong I'm all for folks who are. Burned out on 10-3 Seasons giving up their Season Tickets and telling people you get $20 seats when you go to games and maybe that really happens to you but I've gone to games and needed a couple extra seats sometimes and unless we are playing Ball State and it's our 3rd Home game of the year, I just don't buy that there are that many $20 tickets floating around. There are $50 each pairs sometimes but the days of getting a $5 ticket ended when John Blake left Norman and Bob Stoops won #7 and ticket started costing $75-85 face at the box office.

Now...around game time or after kickoff if you stick around for awhile you might find some tickets cheaper or even some $20 singles but those of you giving up pairs need to understand you will get the nose bleed seats on the East side or be standing on the ramps in the South EZ until some folks leave early once OU is up 42-13.

For the most part I think folks saying they are giving up their Season Tickets are Helander's who were spoiled in 2000 and have lost faith in The Sooner Program. I understand. We should have won 4 NCs under Stoops but I've learned to enjoy Sooner Football and the year we do win it all again, I will have been to at least every Home Game and enjoyed the after party in Norman that happens when OU wins a Home Game. Rarely do we lose at Home. It has happened and it indeed sucks but when you plop down that Season Ticket money every year, you can almost guarantee every Game you will attend is going to be an OU win. Not many Div IA Teams enjoy undefeated Home Records. There are a few but in Oklahoma, there is usually only ONE.

soonerboy_odanorth
2/16/2012, 11:02 AM

not for me. cant do it.

Whiners... I would never call you guys whiners.

Pussies, yes. But not whiners.

Seriously, my family and I regularly make 2-3 trips to Norman every year from Minneapolis. Road trips. 11 hours, each way. And no, I'm not some sort of working class hero for doing so. It just happens to be worth it to see the big games in person. The Alabama comeback, stomping Miami and FSU, Big Red showdowns....

Keep your damn tickets, go to the two or three choice games a year, and sell the rest, even if it is a discount off of face. Because then that will help you conserve a little money for a hotel room if you're a little bit saddle-sore from the travel.

Jeez, I always cracked on the Meetchicken and Notre Dame and Texas fans for being a bunch of wine and cheese candy-asses. But you guys are putting us square in the middle of those fan bases.

StoopTroup
2/16/2012, 11:10 AM
Don't listen. Turn them in. LOL

rekamrettuB
2/16/2012, 11:39 AM
That was a pretty lenghty post just to brag about your TV and surround sound system.

sooner KB
2/16/2012, 11:43 AM
I
Not for The Fexas Tech Game where we ruined Fezas chances to win the Big XII or the FSU game you didn't. You either ponied up a hundred per ticket or you watched the game from the parking lot on TV.
Now don't get me wrong I'm all for folks who are. Burned out on 10-3 Seasons giving up their Season Tickets and telling people you get $20 seats when you go to games and maybe that really happens to you but I've gone to games and needed a couple extra seats sometimes and unless we are playing Ball State and it's our 3rd Home game of the year, I just don't buy that there are that many $20 tickets floating around. There are $50 each pairs sometimes but the days of getting a $5 ticket ended when John Blake left Norman and Bob Stoops won #7 and ticket started costing $75-85 face at the box office.

Now...around game time or after kickoff if you stick around for awhile you might find some tickets cheaper or even some $20 singles but those of you giving up pairs need to understand you will get the nose bleed seats on the East side or be standing on the ramps in the South EZ until some folks leave early once OU is up 42-13.

I've been buying tickets outside of the stadium the entire Stoops era, and I can definitely attest that one can get tickets for $20 or under for almost every game, save for the occasional FSU game (big game and early in the season). $20 can get you a ticket in the endzone or even on the 20 yard line most games. If you are patient enough maybe even the 50-yard line for a Ball St type game.

And I'm talking about waiting until about 15 to 20 minutes or so until kickoff here. I've waited until kickoff (plus or minus 5 minutes) and gotten tickets practically handed to me (or they offer it for $5 or so) that were lower level west side. Just hit up an old season ticket holder standing on the west side just before kick off, he or she usually just wants to get inside and will pass it off. So finding cheap tickets depends on patience and knowing how to find them to a certain extent, but I wouldn't say $20 a ticket, single or pair, is an exaggeration at all on how cheap you can buy them off people at the stadium.

When I go with my father, who is more picky on seating and wants to sit on the 50-yard line, we almost always get tickets on the 50 on the west side for $50 a piece well before kickoff, granted we have to walk around for a while and ask a lot of people. I wouldn't pay any more than $5 a ticket for "nose bleed" seats, unless it's an FSU-type game.

olevetonahill
2/16/2012, 11:46 AM
Ive bot and given away a Lot of tickets
I can remember at least 6 this past season I had paid upwards of 80 bucks a piece for them

sooner KB
2/16/2012, 11:53 AM
And about the people complaining about TV kickoff times and the networks... talk about biting the hand that feeds you. People do realize we make money off of the TV deals, right? So some on here want to have the all the nice things we have, but would like to see OU some how cut off it's TV deals so the games will be early enough so that they can get home before bed time so they don't have to spend $40 on a hotel room? Are you kidding me? And this without any thought to the majority of fans that can not go to games because they live too far away or are busy or can not afford it.

Being on TV is good for the university and the team. For money, for publicity, but for most of all just for the fact that everyone can see them play. And some people think getting to bed by bedtime and saving on a hotel room is more important than all of that? Jeez.

Edit: And I think this whole thing with people like the OP giving up their season tickets would be a positive anyways. You've had your time in the sun, going to games since 1977 and all. Now give up your ticket to a younger fan that has the physical/mental ability to stay up past 11 pm on Saturdays and who will probably cheer louder at games anyways. Going to games, it has always seemed to me we have to many older folks in the stadium that care more about their bedtime and how tragic it would be if they had to stay up late than the game itself. I say give up your tickets and get younger blood in there.

Of course, I'm a younger person myself and will probably be in the chorus of complainers by the time I hit 75.

olevetonahill
2/16/2012, 11:55 AM
And about the people complaining about TV kickoff times and the networks... talk about biting the hand that feeds you. People do realize we make money off of the TV deals, right? So some on here want to have the all the nice things we have, but would like to see OU some how cut off it's TV deals so the games will be early enough so that they can get home before bed time so they don't have to spend $40 on a hotel room? Are you kidding me? And this without any thought to the majority of fans that can not go to games because they live too far away or are busy or can not afford it.

Being on TV is good for the university and the team. For money, for publicity, but for most of all just for the fact that everyone can see them play. And some people think getting to bed by bedtime and saving on a hotel room is more important than all of that? Jeez.

Where ya get a Motel room in Norman fer 40 Bucks ?

StoopTroup
2/16/2012, 12:06 PM
Yes. I would like a 2:30 kickoff time that makes OU a ton of money.

Remember the Customer is King. I know that Concept seems to be forgotten but the Games on TV won't be near as cool as if the TV producers cut down on Camera angles so that the empty stands don't take away from the excitement of the game. Last year I think there were folks complaining about the student section being empty and the crowd sitting around waiting for something to cheer about.

You can't always have your cake and eat it too.

Now as far as folks giving up Season Tickets. I personally have been waiting for two years for oSu to play again in Norman. After the last two years of being given one of OU Home games, this year is huge. I can't wait to see the Sooners hang 100 and a shutout on little Brother.

Now lets talk about Notre Dame finally making good on the promise they made 10 years ago. Is there any Sooner that would knowingly give up Season Tickets to lose a guaranteed seat for this game? IMO you have lost every bit of Sooner Magic you ever had if you aren't planning and looking forward to that game.

Unbelievable would be my thought if someone told me they would pass on that game.

StoopTroup
2/16/2012, 12:17 PM
Biting the hand that feeds you includes forgetting about tradition and breaking away from College Football being played on Saturday afternoons.

The TV folks are constantly screwing around with our schedule.

Say you are used to the OU Fexas game being played at 11am every year and you make plans to be there the next year and you get a Hotel for Friday night so you can begin your trip Home to another State after the Game and ABC comes in the week before and offers OU and Fexas a bunch of dough to change the game to 8pm Saturday Night. Nobody I know will be to happy.

sooner KB
2/16/2012, 12:38 PM
So if you had to decide between OU not being on TV, but being able to play at 2:30 every Saturday, or OU being on TV every Saturday, but having a lot of evening games, you would pick the former?

sooner KB
2/16/2012, 12:41 PM
Say you are used to the OU Fexas game being played at 11am every year and you make plans to be there the next year and you get a Hotel for Friday night so you can begin your trip Home to another State after the Game and ABC comes in the week before and offers OU and Fexas a bunch of dough to change the game to 8pm Saturday Night. Nobody I know will be to happy.

Why would changing from getting a hotel room for Friday night versus getting one for Saturday night be a big deal? Who cares what you are "used to?" I don't see why things like this make people so unhappy. Who cares?

PrideMom
2/16/2012, 12:43 PM
I do sympathize with the fans that travel to make home games, but there are only 6 home games, and if you have had season tickets in the past you would know that game day is all day long no matter when the game starts. 85,000 people is a lot of people to move around. But I would NEVER give up the experience as being inside the stadium!! Watching TV is NOT the same. With the jumbo tron, any key play is shown, so saying you can see the game better on TV is not valid. We always have our head radios so you know who is making the blocks, tackles, etc. Merv Johnson is also very good at letting you know who didn't make the right play.......

I am 66 years old and I LIVE for OU football, and we go to all of the games and climb to the upper deck. No, I do not use the elevator! It just comes down to what one considers important! BOOMER! SOONER!!

texas bandman
2/16/2012, 12:56 PM
I miss the 1:30 starts that we had for about 15 straight years in the 70s and 80s.

The afternoon games in the late 70's were hell. All we had were the red wool band uniforms and the temperature on the turf was 120 degrees at the beginning of the season. I love the Sooners, but that was not my idea of fun.

XingTheRubicon
2/16/2012, 01:37 PM
But I was wearing shorts though, so it was fine.

Sooner24
2/16/2012, 02:50 PM
Yes. I would like a 2:30 kickoff time that makes OU a ton of money.

Remember the Customer is King. I know that Concept seems to be forgotten but the Games on TV won't be near as cool as if the TV producers cut down on Camera angles so that the empty stands don't take away from the excitement of the game. Last year I think there were folks complaining about the student section being empty and the crowd sitting around waiting for something to cheer about.

You can't always have your cake and eat it too.

Now as far as folks giving up Season Tickets. I personally have been waiting for two years for oSu to play again in Norman. After the last two years of being given one of OU Home games, this year is huge. I can't wait to see the Sooners hang 100 and a shutout on little Brother.

Now lets talk about Notre Dame finally making good on the promise they made 10 years ago. Is there any Sooner that would knowingly give up Season Tickets to lose a guaranteed seat for this game? IMO you have lost every bit of Sooner Magic you ever had if you aren't planning and looking forward to that game.

Unbelievable would be my thought if someone told me they would pass on that game.

The ND game in 1999 was never set up as a home and home. That was a one game deal struck by, Steve Owens, I believe.

UberSooner
2/16/2012, 05:49 PM
You guys that are considering giving up your tickets should sublet em or something rather than give em up entirely. Just because we're scheduling 9 p.m.'s today doesn't we will in the coming season. Like I said, it was a less than a decade ago that we were kicking off at 11 a.m. repeatedly.

On top of that, we are going to have good really good home games in the coming years. Ohio State... Tennessee... LSU... West Virginia...

This has been my option since they started going late. I can't afford to stay in Norman every game, especially since tickets and everything else have gone through the roof. I keep one or two games and let the rest go.

nativesooner
2/16/2012, 06:05 PM
Wino you should really consider buying them and reselling them as a package. You'll get your $$ back and won't have to "give up the rights" to your seats. If you do give them up and try to get them back later, the Sooner Club may want you to give them an arm and a leg for them. If you want to make a game or two, you can always round some up on here.

It'll be interesting to see how much the tickets go up this year. They have every year, some more than others. I'm hoping they don't go up a lot though or we'll be in the same boat.

StoopTroup
2/16/2012, 06:10 PM
The ND game in 1999 was never set up as a home and home. That was a one game deal struck by, Steve Owens, I believe.

Bull****. They have put off this game for years. It may not have been negotiated as a Home this year for them and an away game next year but it was negotiated with a "WE (ND) owe you one later. It was supposed to have happened a few years ago and they bought it off until 2013. If they could put it off forever....I'd bet they would never step foot in Norman.

olevetonahill
2/16/2012, 06:20 PM
Dont matter. Ima be there
costs me around 500 bucks a game. Its worth it

OU_Sooners75
2/16/2012, 06:57 PM

not for me. cant do it.

Really?

Keep them and send them to me...so I don't have to wait another 3 years....LOL

That said, you do know they have invented this building called a Hotel, right? Sometimes they can get pricey but it is well worth it so you are not traveling tired or drunk!

If that doesn't work. That may this home on wheels, called an RV. You can buy one either self powered or one that must be powered by a different vehicle...this one is called a trailer. Be careful because the trailers have two different types...goose neck, or 5th wheel...and a ball hitch. Got to make sure you pimary towing vehicle is properly equiped.

The second option is quite pricey, but it can be used for more than going to football games....like staying the weekends out in the wilderness (most people call this camping).

My point...there are other options than just driving straight home after a game...and living 3.5 hours away, one would think you would know this!

I live 3 hours from Norman....would never stop me!

Sooner24
2/16/2012, 07:32 PM
Bull****. They have put off this game for years. It may not have been negotiated as a Home this year for them and an away game next year but it was negotiated with a "WE (ND) owe you one later. It was supposed to have happened a few years ago and they bought it off until 2013. If they could put it off forever....I'd bet they would never step foot in Norman.

It's a fact Jack. Never was a home and home deal.

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2010/08/16/colorado-ohio-state-shades-of-ou-notre-dame/

8timechamps
2/16/2012, 09:39 PM

I assure you, it is not fiction. It's at the very least 3 years long (and counting). I'm certain there are folks that put their names on the list and when the time comes, can't do it. But, it's not like OU says "well, we'll keep checking back and hold on to these tickets for another year...", if the next on the list can't do it, then they move on. It's also not free to "put your name on the list (or at least it wasn't 3 years ago). So, I suspect that most of the folks on the list can and do buy their seats when it's their turn.

Also (not related to the above comment), I checked today, and you CANNOT transfer your season tickets to anyone other than family. And that can only be done once. So, if I were in the OPs position, I'd keep the rights and sell the tickets this season. You never know what will change, and you may find yourself regretting the decision to give them up in the next year or two.

yermom
2/16/2012, 09:54 PM
the answer is simple.

move to Norman. :biggrin: night games FTW!

those 2:30 games are BRUTAL in September

DRLSooner
2/16/2012, 09:57 PM

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2010/08/16/colorado-ohio-state-shades-of-ou-notre-dame/
This is correct. It was negotiated EXACTLY as follows: OU gets 1 mil to play ND in South Bend in 1999. Both schools agree to look into a future home-and-home if feasible with both schools future schedules. Nothing more. The 1999 trip was a one shot deal to get an ailing atheltic department a 1,000,000.00 paycheck.

I hate ND as much as the next guy, but to say they've been "putting this off" is not true. ND is the one school who has other schools beating down their door to schedule them. I personally didnt think it would get done for 15-20 years.

Now, lets beat the hell out of them, God knows we owe them.

texaspokieokie
2/17/2012, 08:32 AM
obviously, keeping or letting go season tickets is a matter of personal choice.

Did you ever see an "old-timer" having a really tuff time getting up the steps to his high level seat ?? That's not gonna be me.

We'll probably go to a game or 2 during the season, but maybe not. TV games are good, & the time doesn't matter.

soonerboomer
2/17/2012, 12:49 PM
We discontinued buying Sooner season tickets (along with Texas tickets, away game tickets, and bowl game tickets) four years ago after purchasing them each year since the early seventies. I retired from the USAF in the early eighties. We were able attend most Sooner games during in the late seventies and early eighties because I was stationed twice at Offutt AFB, NE. In between when stationed overseas I was able to sell them to an elderly couple here in Oklahoma. During the early eighties we become donors. In addition to attending all home games, we traveled to all of their bowl games and almost all of their away games. Our tickets were located on about the 20 yard line on the west side - north end - almost under the upper deck. We still go to a few home games. The reasons we decided to discontinue purchasing season tickets included fighting the late night traffic after night games (my vision at night is not as good as it used to be - I'm 74 now), my wife has problems with the heat, both afternoon and evening games in September, and because all Sooner games are always on TV (I believe that every game during the past four years has been on TV, only one each year on Per-Per-View. Money was not a problem although the tickets cost was roughly $1,000 (including Texas tickets) and $500 donor fees.

TrueBornSooner
2/17/2012, 12:52 PM
I assure you, it is not fiction. It's at the very least 3 years long (and counting). I'm certain there are folks that put their names on the list and when the time comes, can't do it. But, it's not like OU says "well, we'll keep checking back and hold on to these tickets for another year...", if the next on the list can't do it, then they move on. It's also not free to "put your name on the list (or at least it wasn't 3 years ago). So, I suspect that most of the folks on the list can and do buy their seats when it's their turn.

Also (not related to the above comment), I checked today, and you CANNOT transfer your season tickets to anyone other than family. And that can only be done once. So, if I were in the OPs position, I'd keep the rights and sell the tickets this season. You never know what will change, and you may find yourself regretting the decision to give them up in the next year or two.

Have you actually donated money to the Sooner Club? Most people I've seen get tickets right away once they join the donors.

nativesooner
2/17/2012, 01:27 PM
Have you actually donated money to the Sooner Club? Most people I've seen get tickets right away once they join the donors.

They do have the infamous "list" that's probably 10,000 strong, but if you donate you bypass all those folks. I put in for season tickets in 97 after I got a decent job and could afford it. In 2000 I got married and my wife and I got a pair of tickets in her name (she's alum, I'm not) by donating to the Sooner Club. Basically they told us there's a waiting list (the one I was already on) but you could donate and "more than likely" get tickets. We did and have had them since. Since then I've received a couple of letters in my name alone saying "we still have you way down on the waiting list BUT if you donate you can get tickets now!!!" The 2nd time I got the letter I called to see what kind of seats I could get with the same donation we give now and they were FAR worse. Like always money talks... bullshhh walks!

nativesooner
2/17/2012, 01:33 PM
The worse thing about giving up your long time season tickets is that if you have decent seats they'll want extra $$ to get them back. Say you sit in Sec 8 and DON'T donate now, and drop them for a couple of years. Then you want to renew in Sec 6-10... they'll say you have to give X amount to the Sooner Club because they are now considered "donor" seats. If you try giving the minimum required to get tickets ($100 per seat) they'll try to stick you in the south endzone....

MichiganSooner
2/17/2012, 04:30 PM
I understand what the original poster is talking about and Bob Stoops has referenced it before. I love the night games except for the drive home after the game. It gets expensive staying over in a motel and shoots the day on Sunday.

MichiganSooner
2/17/2012, 04:38 PM
But I love Sooner football and going to the games regardless of start time.

StoopTroup
2/17/2012, 05:00 PM

So....you toss a neg my way because I don't take your post as gospel. Sad.

No big deal. Some folks are always gonna be dickwheels.

Here's the thing....it's great that you put the link to prove my point.

Eventually, OU and Notre Dame agreed to a home-and-home series (2012 in Norman, 2013 in South Bend), but that 1999 game was independent of the looming contract.

When OU was working to get that 1999 Game ND didn't want to agree to a Home and Home and OU was pushing for it. ND evidently took it as a take or leave it or shook hands like gentlemen to agree to do something later when they had an opening in their schedule that was agreeable for both School. I don't believe it took OU 13 years to make that happen.....it took ND that long.

ND is afraid of us and IMO I'm really surprised that they haven't tried to buy out this game. The roles are very different compared to 1999. Bob isn't the New Coach playing legendary ND on their Home Field. It's quite a 180 degree change in what took place in 1999.

If you agree to play someone for one game because you have a hole in your Home Schedule and they do you a favor and fill it for you.....you owe them. Maybe not legally but it was implied in order to try and build a relationship and a possible rivalry with said School.

So say what you want....ND didn't really act in good faith when OU helped them out in 1999. We not only gave them a hell of a Game that day....it was so good it took them 13 years to do it again. A far cry from the Stoops attitude that we will play anyone anywhere.

See it how you want.

They owed us a game in Norman and have for a very long time.

Tramel thinks we played that game for money....I say we played that game to win it and the thought was if we did win ND would want some revenge and want to play us again.

I'll never forget this play....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFw8iiD1a9Q

That evidently shook em up enough to stay away for 13 years. Bunch of weenies.

Also...using a Barry Tramel story is pretty weak. It might as well been one of Jenni's.

StoopTroup
2/17/2012, 05:06 PM
Why would changing from getting a hotel room for Friday night versus getting one for Saturday night be a big deal? Who cares what you are "used to?" I don't see why things like this make people so unhappy. Who cares?

Have you ever traveled much where you had to pay for a cancellation or a reschedule? What if Airfare and the Hotel had to change? It's a big deal for folks who plan things.

Get real.

badger
2/17/2012, 05:20 PM
Since money's tight for many, it's nice that there's options for Sooner fans that can't make every game. Back in the day, Sooner fans that couldn't attend listened on the radio (I remember Jim Ross saying he was among them and that's how he became a fan). These days, it's TV (or the internet).

I don't fault people for dropping season tickets, or hating certain starting times or not wanting to go the hotel room route. To each their own.

If I ever win the lottery, though, I'm getting an uppity skybox and sitting front and center behind an air-conditioned window. No more days of sweating off the sunscreen and still getting burned :D

yermom
2/17/2012, 05:30 PM
i'm just hoping to be in the shade on the west side at some point

i keep getting closer and closer...

i don't really mind where i am right now though

StoopTroup
2/17/2012, 06:19 PM
Since money's tight for many, it's nice that there's options for Sooner fans that can't make every game. Back in the day, Sooner fans that couldn't attend listened on the radio (I remember Jim Ross saying he was among them and that's how he became a fan). These days, it's TV (or the internet).

I don't fault people for dropping season tickets, or hating certain starting times or not wanting to go the hotel room route. To each their own.

If I ever win the lottery, though, I'm getting an uppity skybox and sitting front and center behind an air-conditioned window. No more days of sweating off the sunscreen and still getting burned :D

That's really the point of it all. To each his own but the only way you will ever get your own way is if you win the lotto....LMAO

No Dipping in the Sky-boxes. :D

OUmillenium
2/17/2012, 11:22 PM
Being able to see a game and then rewatch it when you get Home is the best. Anyone saying watching on TV is the best way of watching a Sooner Game when you can do both is out of their mind. There is nothing like being one of the 86,000 OU Fans yelling and screaming and cheering their butts off.

Great Post.

I agree with this. It was especially awesome on 2003 and 2004 when we were laying the pipe to everyone.

Chuck Bao
2/18/2012, 03:17 AM
I understand the original poster's problem and I only live 1 and half hours from Norman (without post-game traffic). Staying overnight in a hotel in Norman is not an option for those who want to attend church on Sunday morning.

In sort of a parellel story, I remember last basketball season that a very sweet, elderly season ticketholder with seats next to my mom told her that she wished the OU women's basketball team wouldn't schedule so many games early Sunday afternoon or on Wednesday night. "And, I play the piano in my church," she explained.

Heh! I haven't seen her at any games this season. I guess she made her choice. Well, good for her. On an aside, I don't think that OU women's basketball had as many home games on early Sunday afternoon or Wednesday this season. I only remember my mom skipping out on Sunday morning church service once. Heh!

Just make your choice. I really doubt that the starting times of the games will change much with fan complaints. As others have said, TV decides and fans have to deal.

Good luck and Boomer!

bluedogok
2/18/2012, 10:30 AM

My father has been considering giving up his tickets because he just can't get up the steps to the 52nd row very well now. He started getting them when they were "Sooner Saver" tickets during the Blake era. I have thought about having him transfer them to me even though I only make 1 game or so a year, although flying from Denver is easier and faster than driving (around 7 hours) or flying from Austin (having to connect through Dallas or Houston) that it might make more sense to have them now. I could make a couple of games a year and my sister and nephew (who live in OKC) could use the rest. If my father or uncle (lives in Dallas) feels like going they could use them.

those 2:30 games are BRUTAL in September
I prefer the night games, especially early in the season when it can be miserable hot.

sooners2win
2/18/2012, 01:56 PM
I've already booked my rooms for the home games
Why in hell would anyone try to drive home that late whether they had been drankin er not?
I drive up on Fri. an stay till Sun. Hell its only 6 times a year

I would consider this if I wasn't on call every other weekend

Sooner91ATL
2/18/2012, 02:55 PM
Pretty sure ND is not afraid of us. If over the summer, they review 2011 game film, they might be afraid that they don't have enough WR on the travel squad to replace their starters who will be winded in the 2nd quarter from running behind our DBs for the first quarter.

We have a 6-game opportunity in 2012 to put some fear into ND. Let's see the on the field results. Otherwise, why would a team that's won its last 6 against us, dating back to 1956, be afraid?

And I remember in 1999 there were a ton of fans calling to Al on the animal who were reacting to us going to ND without demanding a return trip, and how demeaning that was, etc, etc etc. There was no promise or gentleman's handshake of a return. We were flat out broke and had to bend over and take it.

There are two teams who routinely beat us even when we should have won on paper or according to the experts. One is Notre Dame, and the other is USC The ND game in Norman will be a tough contest and it is by no means a sure thing, even if ND is average or below average. I am excited about such a late season nonconference game and the challenge it presents, along with the buzz it will create. Its an opportunity for us to get some revenge but also to put on a national showcase of our revamped D...I hope.

Also by that time Blake Bell should be in the Heisman discussion with 24 touchdowns on 50 yards rushing and 3 pass completions for a total of 10 yards on TE flares.

Sooner24
2/18/2012, 03:59 PM
So....you toss a neg my way because I don't take your post as gospel. Sad.

No big deal. Some folks are always gonna be dickwheels.

Here's the thing....it's great that you put the link to prove my point.

When OU was working to get that 1999 Game ND didn't want to agree to a Home and Home and OU was pushing for it. ND evidently took it as a take or leave it or shook hands like gentlemen to agree to do something later when they had an opening in their schedule that was agreeable for both School. I don't believe it took OU 13 years to make that happen.....it took ND that long.

ND is afraid of us and IMO I'm really surprised that they haven't tried to buy out this game. The roles are very different compared to 1999. Bob isn't the New Coach playing legendary ND on their Home Field. It's quite a 180 degree change in what took place in 1999.

If you agree to play someone for one game because you have a hole in your Home Schedule and they do you a favor and fill it for you.....you owe them. Maybe not legally but it was implied in order to try and build a relationship and a possible rivalry with said School.

So say what you want....ND didn't really act in good faith when OU helped them out in 1999. We not only gave them a hell of a Game that day....it was so good it took them 13 years to do it again. A far cry from the Stoops attitude that we will play anyone anywhere.

See it how you want.

They owed us a game in Norman and have for a very long time.

Tramel thinks we played that game for money....I say we played that game to win it and the thought was if we did win ND would want some revenge and want to play us again.

I'll never forget this play....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFw8iiD1a9Q

That evidently shook em up enough to stay away for 13 years. Bunch of weenies.

Also...using a Barry Tramel story is pretty weak. It might as well been one of Jenni's.

You're wrong and as Forest Gump would say "that's all I have to say about that". :D

yermom
2/18/2012, 07:23 PM
the biggest thing in all that is that i don't think Stoops or Joe C were even involved in scheduling that game, were they?

DRLSooner
2/18/2012, 07:28 PM
the biggest thing in all that is that i don't think Stoops or Joe C were even involved in scheduling that game, were they?

No. I believe it was scheduled in 1997 by Steve Owens.

Sooner24
2/18/2012, 07:36 PM

No Steve Owens did.

8timechamps
2/18/2012, 07:38 PM

I donate money to the SC every year (for that past 12 years), but the story I'm speaking of isn't mine. I live in Colorado, and can't really use season tickets. However, I have a relative that lives in Edmond, and he's been on the list for the past three years. I don't know if he donates or not, but that's a good point. I'll have to find out and suggest that he does.

8timechamps
2/18/2012, 07:48 PM
My father has been considering giving up his tickets because he just can't get up the steps to the 52nd row very well now. He started getting them when they were "Sooner Saver" tickets during the Blake era. I have thought about having him transfer them to me even though I only make 1 game or so a year, although flying from Denver is easier and faster than driving (around 7 hours) or flying from Austin (having to connect through Dallas or Houston) that it might make more sense to have them now. I could make a couple of games a year and my sister and nephew (who live in OKC) could use the rest. If my father or uncle (lives in Dallas) feels like going they could use them.

I prefer the night games, especially early in the season when it can be miserable hot.

When I first moved here from Oklahoma, I had season tickets. My wife (at the time) and I would go down for a few home games every year, and to Dallas for the RRR. After the kids got older, and I started coaching football, I gave them up. Every now and then, I have a free weekend during the season, and think about heading down, but not often. If I were in your position, I would do exactly what you mentioned. At the very least, you'll have the option of going whenever you decide.

The only thing I miss about CU being in the Big XII was being able to catch the Sooners when they were in Boulder. I don't miss the CU students at the games though.

I Am Right
2/18/2012, 09:51 PM
Season ticket holder since 77, will continue regardless of lack of support for fans.

MamaMia
2/18/2012, 10:06 PM
If any of these sets of season tix are transfer-eligible that y'all are giving up, drop me a P.M. I'd consider taking them off your hands depending on the section.You can buy up all the season tickets you want on several ticket sites.

MamaMia
2/18/2012, 10:17 PM
We too travel every home game. We leave here after work on Friday. Get a room for that night and Saturday night. There are a lot of fun things and shopping involved as well. We have family there so we make a weekend of it.

Sometimes though, if its an early game and we lose, I just want to go to the hotel, pack, go home and bitch here on everybodies shoulder. Y'all know how I am. :D

Vent or not, I'm in my seat every home, RRR and Bedlam game cheering for my team. :)

sooner KB
2/19/2012, 04:49 AM
Have you ever traveled much where you had to pay for a cancellation or a reschedule? What if Airfare and the Hotel had to change?

I know we got kind of a short notice this year, but most of the time you have way enough time to book a hotel and flight after the schedule comes out. Funny how this conversation has gone from how horrible it is that most games are played at night now, to how it's sad becaues it's not what you were used to, to how you would have to stay in a hotel room on another night, to how you would have to reschedule your hotel/flight. It just reads like a long litany of first world problems. I, like the majority of fans, couldn't even afford to go to the OU/UT game every year in the first place. If it ever got moved to evenings and I had to hear people like you moan and cry and whine, I just don't think I'd feel that sorry for you for having to tragically reschedule a room and/or flight.

It's a big deal for folks who plan things.

Get real.

I think if you can afford plane tickets and/or a hotel room, and very expensive tickets year after year, I'm sure you could afford some sort of reschedule or cancelation fee (not that I believe you actually plan these things years in advance or anything, I'm just saying). A "big deal?" And you're telling me to get real?

Awww.... whiney fans that can't stand change.

StoopTroup
2/19/2012, 10:44 PM
You're wrong and as Forest Gump would say "that's all I have to say about that". :D

Heh. Another neg?

Don't cry about negging? I only bring it up because I don't ever neg anybody for any reason. At around 85+ Million Pos Spek points, I'm not really concerned I got negged. I just think you are doing it to try and upset me. It doesn't work. I bring it up because if I'm not allowed to neg you....my only choice is to have a discussion. So...I am trying to have a discussion only to be told by you that I'm wrong and then being negged for trying to have a discussion rather than neg you until you started crying about it.

Again....the Negging....if it's not going to be a useable function....it should be gotten rid of IMHO. That way you don't have to worry or think I'm whining. If it were left up to you and me and a good old fashioned negging....I don't think you would still be all high and mighty about it. It's like knowing that you can punch a UFC Champion in the Face and if he punches you back....you can sue the hell out of him because he's capable of killing you with one punch. Of course SFs had a nice board war last year and some folks who are no longer posting here are gone and the rules have all been changed around here because of their whining and complaining.

Forest Gump was a fictional Character and so is your theory that I'm wrong. Learn to read your own Links. OU wanted a Home and Away Series and settled for the one game and a gentlemen's agreement to do an away game later with us....because of whatever ND's reasons. There is no way that ND did an away game with us if they didn't feel that they owed us. They did it so if they ever wanted to do a Home and Away series again with us....they honored the Gentlemen's agreement you say didn't exist.

They finally are re-paying their debt, which I think is the right thing to do. I think it would be cool if after this game they would work with Boren to do 1 or 2 Home and Away Series with us per decade. I would be good for both schools and for College Football. At least one per decade.

You are out of chocolates Forrest.....here's a sucker for you...

http://hiphopspy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/LIL_WAYNE_LOLLIPOP.jpg

StoopTroup
2/19/2012, 11:18 PM
I, like the majority of fans, couldn't even afford to go to the OU/UT game every year in the first place.

Whiny fans....?

This isn't about whiny fans....this is about people who think they are fans that don't go to games whining about those of us that do go to the games from what it sounds like.

Yeah get real. We have many reasons to feel the way we do. That Game is important and is better on TV when there is 45,000 in Crimson screaming at the 45,000 in Orange that live down there.

You seem to care more about fexas and their fans than you do about the OU Fans that go down there and scream their asses off.

Yeah Get Real. Your priorities are way F*cked up.

Sooner24
2/20/2012, 09:35 AM
Heh. Another neg?

Don't cry about negging? I only bring it up because I don't ever neg anybody for any reason. At around 85+ Million Pos Spek points, I'm not really concerned I got negged. I just think you are doing it to try and upset me. It doesn't work. I bring it up because if I'm not allowed to neg you....my only choice is to have a discussion. So...I am trying to have a discussion only to be told by you that I'm wrong and then being negged for trying to have a discussion rather than neg you until you started crying about it.

Again....the Negging....if it's not going to be a useable function....it should be gotten rid of IMHO. That way you don't have to worry or think I'm whining. If it were left up to you and me and a good old fashioned negging....I don't think you would still be all high and mighty about it. It's like knowing that you can punch a UFC Champion in the Face and if he punches you back....you can sue the hell out of him because he's capable of killing you with one punch. Of course SFs had a nice board war last year and some folks who are no longer posting here are gone and the rules have all been changed around here because of their whining and complaining.

Forest Gump was a fictional Character and so is your theory that I'm wrong. Learn to read your own Links. OU wanted a Home and Away Series and settled for the one game and a gentlemen's agreement to do an away game later with us....because of whatever ND's reasons. There is no way that ND did an away game with us if they didn't feel that they owed us. They did it so if they ever wanted to do a Home and Away series again with us....they honored the Gentlemen's agreement you say didn't exist.

They finally are re-paying their debt, which I think is the right thing to do. I think it would be cool if after this game they would work with Boren to do 1 or 2 Home and Away Series with us per decade. I would be good for both schools and for College Football. At least one per decade.

You are out of chocolates Forrest.....here's a sucker for you...

http://hiphopspy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/LIL_WAYNE_LOLLIPOP.jpg

Put the bottle down Stoop. You thinking we ever had a home and home back in the 90's with ND is as fictional as Forest Gump. As far a negging you I have never given anyone a neg, not even LAS.

badger
2/20/2012, 09:46 AM
I should just neg everyone here because I can.

And now that I said that, I will probably receive a round of negging myself.

How bout this... you neg me, and I'll neg you.

negging sounds a lot like nagging. Naggers.

The category is "People who annoy you."

:D

mojorisen2014
2/20/2012, 01:23 PM
What is the minimum you have to donate to the sooner club to get texas tickets?

nativesooner
2/20/2012, 01:42 PM
What is the minimum you have to donate to the sooner club to get texas tickets?

you'll have to donate the "required" minimum per seat, and then X amount OVER that to get Texas tickets the first year. You have to have around 40 points. My father in law has two SEZ seats and joined two years ago to be able to get Texass tix. He donated $800 his first year, instead of the $200 required and got them. Last year he donated another $700 to make sure he was good. I told him to STOP though because donors that do that make the point total go up for us pee-ons that donate the min. lol!

StoopTroup
2/20/2012, 04:07 PM
Put the bottle down Stoop. You thinking we ever had a home and home back in the 90's with ND is as fictional as Forest Gump. As far a negging you I have never given anyone a neg, not even LAS.

Whatever. Conspiracy is just as bad as pulling the trigger.

At least you seem to be heading towards a discussion. I never said we had a Home and Home. We wanted it and instead of turning down the 1999 game in South Bend we took ND on their Honor that they would work out a game in Norman with us. You believing an agreement never took place is delusional. Again, we left the negotiating table back then with a hand shake. That hand shake is finally being repaid after 13 years.

I'd like to see us play them again in South Bend and schedule another game in Norman again like they should have done in 1999. What they did back then was pretty arrogant. After years of being in the toilet, it seems they are finally ready to make friends. I believe that's a good thing.

Sooner24
2/20/2012, 04:12 PM
Whatever. Conspiracy is just as bad as pulling the trigger.

At least you seem to be heading towards a discussion. I never said we had a Home and Home. We wanted it and instead of turning down the 1999 game in South Bend we took ND on their Honor that they would work out a game in Norman with us. You believing an agreement never took place is delusional. Again, we left the negotiating table back then with a hand shake. That hand shake is finally being repaid after 13 years.

I'd like to see us play them again in South Bend and schedule another game in Norman again like they should have done in 1999. What they did back then was pretty arrogant. After years of being in the toilet, it seems they are finally ready to make friends. I believe that's a good thing.

Find me ANYTHING that supports your claim.

StoopTroup
2/20/2012, 04:18 PM
Find me ANYTHING that supports your claim.

I already have. It's in the link you gave me. I know it's hard to take when you are wrong and now you've kind of made an a$$ out of yourself about it but hey.....I forgive you.

StoopTroup
2/20/2012, 04:36 PM
Tramel even mentions that we eventually worked out the repayment of the single game we finally agreed to play in South Bend. We weren't happy about it but we took the deal and they after 13 years have agreed for us to treat them the same way it seems. The Home and Away will happen after 13 years of waiting.

Maybe you haven't been waiting and that's where your persistence comes from but every Sooner I know that went to that game or watched it Live has been waiting for this day to come again.

Eventually, OU and Notre Dame agreed to a home-and-home series

Taking the 1999 deal was the only way we were ever getting a future deal with them. Again they held us hostage for 13 years before repaying us for taking the ****ty deal of 1999. Hopefully we will reward them with two losses for it.

Sooner24
2/20/2012, 04:54 PM
Tramel even mentions that we eventually worked out the repayment of the single game we finally agreed to play in South Bend. We weren't happy about it but we took the deal and they after 13 years have agreed for us to treat them the same way it seems. The Home and Away will happen after 13 years of waiting.

Maybe you haven't been waiting and that's where your persistence comes from but every Sooner I know that went to that game or watched it Live has been waiting for this day to come again.

Taking the 1999 deal was the only way we were ever getting a future deal with them. Again they held us hostage for 13 years before repaying us for taking the ****ty deal of 1999. Hopefully we will reward them with two losses for it.

....but that 1999 game was independent of the looming contract.

Are you on drugs, kin to Oliver Stone or both?

Sooner24
2/20/2012, 04:55 PM
P.S. I was at the game.

StoopTroup
2/20/2012, 04:58 PM
....but that 1999 game was independent of the looming contract.

Are you on drugs, kin to Oliver Stone or both?

I'm not the one trippin'

Just saying.

Sooner24
2/20/2012, 04:59 PM
I'm not the one trippin'

Just saying.

Why don't you just call Steve Owens up and ask him. Of course you wouldn't believe him and he's the guy that made the deal.

StoopTroup
2/20/2012, 11:22 PM
Why don't you just call Steve Owens up and ask him. Of course you wouldn't believe him and he's the guy that made the deal.

Last time I spoke with him he told me to come by his office as I have some stuff from 1969 of his and he said he'd sign them anytime i could get by and see him. I can probably clear it all up but I then think you'd probably want me to interview him and record it before you'd ever believe me.

I just don't feel the need to go out of my way and take a drive up to see him over an Internet squabble that doesn't really make any difference wth happened. I do really need to go see him as the offer started with me and Billy Sims talking about some of the stuff I have and Billy told me to go see him with it all and just drop into his office. I never did that but I did ask Steve straight up about Billy making the offer and Steve backed it up with an open offer to come see him. I'd like to take my Son with me this Summer when School is out so maybe I will be able to ask him about the deal.

You calling me out in clearing it up might make a good personal Story for the Son and I. Also, understand, I'm really good with whatever the outcome would be as Steve is a fantastic guy.

Hopefully I can make that happen soon. You know, if I'm not to deep into the bottle or to whacked out on drugs. :D

Sooner24
2/21/2012, 09:04 AM
Last time I spoke with him he told me to come by his office as I have some stuff from 1969 of his and he said he'd sign them anytime i could get by and see him. I can probably clear it all up but I then think you'd probably want me to interview him and record it before you'd ever believe me.

I just don't feel the need to go out of my way and take a drive up to see him over an Internet squabble that doesn't really make any difference wth happened. I do really need to go see him as the offer started with me and Billy Sims talking about some of the stuff I have and Billy told me to go see him with it all and just drop into his office. I never did that but I did ask Steve straight up about Billy making the offer and Steve backed it up with an open offer to come see him. I'd like to take my Son with me this Summer when School is out so maybe I will be able to ask him about the deal.

You calling me out in clearing it up might make a good personal Story for the Son and I. Also, understand, I'm really good with whatever the outcome would be as Steve is a fantastic guy.

Hopefully I can make that happen soon. You know, if I'm not to deep into the bottle or to whacked out on drugs. :D

Good luck with the battle against drugs and alcohol.

StoopTroup
2/21/2012, 11:06 AM
Good luck with the battle against drugs and alcohol.

It's been quite a battle passing DOT Mandatory Drug Testing for the last 24 years.

Are you drunk or high all the time? I haven't seen a poster as wrong about so many things in quite awhile? If you aren't drunk or high, I'm gonna recommend you seek some psychological help. That will help decide if you are a candidate for a rehab program.

Sooner24
2/21/2012, 12:28 PM
It's been quite a battle passing DOT Mandatory Drug Testing for the last 24 years.

Are you drunk or high all the time? I haven't seen a poster as wrong about so many things in quite awhile? If you aren't drunk or high, I'm gonna recommend you seek some psychological help. That will help decide if you are a candidate for a rehab program.

Sorry to hear you have so much trouble passing drug test. Since your profile says you're 21 years old it's amazing you've had to pass drug test that long.

StoopTroup
2/21/2012, 12:50 PM
Sorry to hear you have so much trouble passing drug test. Since your profile says you're 21 years old it's amazing you've had to pass drug test that long.

There's never been any trouble.

I'm not sure why you keep reaching....it's pretty sad when you see someone coming up with zero when God gave them a workable brain.

Seek help.

Sooner24
2/21/2012, 01:23 PM
There's never been any trouble.

I'm not sure why you keep reaching....it's pretty sad when you see someone coming up with zero when God gave them a workable brain.

Seek help.

You're still wrong but you keep reaching.

StoopTroup
2/21/2012, 02:27 PM
How old do you like your male posters?

Sooner24
2/21/2012, 03:28 PM
How old do you like your male posters?

Come on Forest you can do better than that.

StoopTroup
2/21/2012, 04:41 PM
Come on Forest you can do better than that.
You darn right I can Jenni.

Tear Down This Wall
2/21/2012, 05:09 PM
We live in the DFW area, too. Here is how we've shifted our game day with night games:

(1) We now stay overnight, or
(2) We give the tickets away to family or friends whose kids go to OU.

The drive back at night is a pain in the butt. We bought our season tickets for the first time in 1995. Seems like from then until just a couple of years ago, afternoon games were heavily the norm.

We could be back home to Dallas by 10 p.m., at worst 11 p.m. if we stopped somewhere to eat instead of just driving through. Add to that, we now have kids. Dragging them to Norman and back is no picnic.

The night games were part of the reason we considered a move to the Pac-12 to be a potential nightmare - later home and away games. That, and of course, it's a basketball conference.

I do hope the settling down of the conference will add up to earlier kickoff times again.

Where we are in life, night games do make the season tickets an expensive hobby. We used to go to every game and try to hit at least one road game a year.

We've cut way back. We'll go to the season opener and a couple of others throughout the season. The staying in the hotel is an extra cost. And, the giving the tickets away is basically a gift.

We keep them in hopes that the athletic department gets reasonable about kickoff times. We don't harbor great hopes. They seem to be sold out hard for the dollar these days. But...for now, we'll keep the tickets.

We do know that once they begin ask for a contribution plus tickets (a la Texas) we'll let them go. The tickets are enough, and the department is making plenty in television money.

At some point, you hope all universities begin to reign it in a little...but, money, no matter what endeavor, seemed to create a thirst for even more money. Like government, the athletic departments will eat themselves before they realize there is a problem.

8timechamps
2/21/2012, 09:57 PM
We live in the DFW area, too. Here is how we've shifted our game day with night games:

(1) We now stay overnight, or
(2) We give the tickets away to family or friends whose kids go to OU.

The drive back at night is a pain in the butt. We bought our season tickets for the first time in 1995. Seems like from then until just a couple of years ago, afternoon games were heavily the norm.

We could be back home to Dallas by 10 p.m., at worst 11 p.m. if we stopped somewhere to eat instead of just driving through. Add to that, we now have kids. Dragging them to Norman and back is no picnic.

The night games were part of the reason we considered a move to the Pac-12 to be a potential nightmare - later home and away games. That, and of course, it's a basketball conference.

I do hope the settling down of the conference will add up to earlier kickoff times again.

Where we are in life, night games do make the season tickets an expensive hobby. We used to go to every game and try to hit at least one road game a year.

We've cut way back. We'll go to the season opener and a couple of others throughout the season. The staying in the hotel is an extra cost. And, the giving the tickets away is basically a gift.

We keep them in hopes that the athletic department gets reasonable about kickoff times. We don't harbor great hopes. They seem to be sold out hard for the dollar these days. But...for now, we'll keep the tickets.

We do know that once they begin ask for a contribution plus tickets (a la Texas) we'll let them go. The tickets are enough, and the department is making plenty in television money.

At some point, you hope all universities begin to reign it in a little...but, money, no matter what endeavor, seemed to create a thirst for even more money. Like government, the athletic departments will eat themselves before they realize there is a problem.

The problem is, the athletic department (or any department of the school) has no say in the matter. Part of the TV network contract is that the networks get game-time decision making. If anyone is upset, blame the networks or the Big XII (and every other conference/network alliance).

Back when we were on TV a couple of times a year, it wasn't an issue (partially because it was only a couple of times a year). In this day and age, every game is televised, and the networks are going to work us into their prime slots.

Now, if we could put together a few 2-10 seasons, we could probably get an entire schedule of 11:00am kickoffs.

StoopTroup
2/21/2012, 10:01 PM
I think we damn near own our own TV Network now thanks to fexas and the old SWC Coming to the Big XII and basically handing us all the Big 12 Conference Championships.

Seamus
2/22/2012, 02:05 AM
1. 24 -- you're wrong. I recall it the same way Troup does.

2. You're both acting a little jackholish. Time to move on.

3. Spek wars are ghey. Knock it off. Here's a little green for both of you, for pete's sake.

4. Last word in this argument needs to be above this post.

auto
2/22/2012, 08:54 AM
Did I mention night games rock? I heart night games.:adoration:

Sooner24
2/22/2012, 09:31 AM
1. 24 -- you're wrong. I recall it the same way Troup does.

2. You're both acting a little jackholish. Time to move on.

3. Spek wars are ghey. Knock it off. Here's a little green for both of you, for pete's sake.

4. Last word in this argument needs to be above this post.

1. No I'm not

2. You are correct

3. I have not given or received any spek from Stooptroop

StoopTroup
2/26/2012, 09:22 PM
I
1. No I'm not

2. You are correct

3. I have not given or received any spek from Stooptroop

You never will get any from me. I'm not allowed to give SPEK on this board.

Thanks to Seamus for the opinion on the ND deal.

It's funny that I have to go track down and interview Steve Owens to prove my point to 24 but he thinks all he needs is some article written by Barry Tramel that doesn't prove he's right about anything.

If the article had quoted Steve and Tramel had actually done some real journalism I'm guessing this wouldn't be an arguement. Alas 24 wants to blow hot air into a balloon with a huge hole in it. Those never fly.

badger
2/26/2012, 10:43 PM
Neither of you will let the other have the last word will you :P

Let it end without either of getting the last say in, mkay? Or else you're as bad as Jim Traber.

badger
2/26/2012, 10:48 PM
Also, those of you missing earlier kickoffs have to love the WVU addition to the Big 12. East coast school = earlier kickoffs in conference games with them, and perhaps more early kickoffs for conference games, period.

StoopTroup
2/27/2012, 12:21 AM
Neither of you will let the other have the last word will you :P

Let it end without either of getting the last say in, mkay? Or else you're as bad as Jim Traber.

He's as bad as Jim Traber. Always has been. He wins.

Sooner24
2/27/2012, 11:42 AM
He's as bad as Jim Traber. Always has been. He wins.

Which is still better than Al whom you are worse than. You win!

badger
2/27/2012, 11:52 AM

It's hard to know who to blame here (although like someone else mentioned, it's sort of on the Big 12 as far as football goes, since first and second tier TV deals are conference-based, not school-based).

As far as the drive for dollars goes, you can go either way:

Schools to blame: Don't try pass yourselves off as a non-profit! You are raising tuition and fees on students every year, forcing students and their families to take out six-figure loans for an education, and then on top of that, you claim that sports funds are needed to supplement your giant money pit of higher ed in addition to state and federal funds. So, you raise ticket prices as fast as you raise new shiny facilities and coaching salaries, then have your hand out to donors and alumni for even more money because dag nabbit, the school next door and newer and shinier facilities and you have got to compete! Give it a rest, schools. You have enough money as-is and if you just tried to reign in costs perhaps the sports/education arms race you have going nationwide would finally end.

Schools not to blame: This is just the way of things everywhere and no school can control something that is out of their hands as much as the costs of college sports these days. If the market dictates that football needs to be on TV as much as possible to sell the program to a national audience, so be it. If the market dictates that tickets need to be more expensive to afford the top tier facilities and coaches to keep the program top tier, so be it. Playing games later in the day and having higher ticket prices is the cost of having a top tier program and if fans want to compete each year for national and conference championships, this is the trade-off.

StoopTroup
2/27/2012, 11:54 AM
At least Al is a SoonerFan.

Muah!

Sooner24
2/27/2012, 07:55 PM
At least Al is a SoonerFan.

Muah!

*** hats of a feather.......

StoopTroup
2/27/2012, 08:16 PM
Whatever....Traber.

God that's funny.

yermom
2/27/2012, 08:24 PM
dude, seriously, what percentage of fans would prefer night games? someone start a pole

in the meantime, i think 24 and Troup need to take turns with this:

http://www.myonlineruler.com/ruler.png

just PM each other the results, no one else really cares ;)

StoopTroup
2/27/2012, 08:40 PM
That's to short Yermom...

Traber is a huge penis.

Sooner24
2/28/2012, 07:40 AM
That's to short Yermom...

Traber is a huge penis.

And we only need to measured Al Jr's head.

badger
2/28/2012, 09:26 AM
dude, seriously, what percentage of fans would prefer night games? someone start a pole

I recognize a hint when I see one. I'll do this topic next after people are (actually debating!) done with whether Urban or Mikey were the better off-season hire for Wazzu/tOSU

PS: I am sooo glad I could give you guys cute pet names for each other :P

StoopTroup
2/28/2012, 02:54 PM
And we only need to measured Al Jr's head.

Traber=Aggie=horse molester

Al=Sooner=It's not the length of the river, it's the motion of the Ocean Baby! :D ;)

Sooner24
2/28/2012, 05:51 PM
Traber=Aggie=horse molester

Al=Sooner=It's not the length of the river, it's the motion of the Ocean Baby! :D ;)

I give up. You win. I should have know better than argue with an idiot. You just dragged me down to your level and beat me with stupidity.

bettersoonerthenlater
3/5/2012, 11:34 AM
Night games are the best for the fans the town of Norman and the decibel of the crowd. Sorry that you wont pony up the money for a hotel room that is your choice but as was said before one more person outta my way lol

StoopTroup
3/5/2012, 07:37 PM
I give up. You win. I should have know better than argue with an idiot. You just dragged me down to your level and beat me with stupidity.

I can't believe you were stupid enough to go that far. We were hoping for a Helander ending. What a disappointment you are.

birddog
3/5/2012, 08:58 PM
As long as we field a team I'll watch em. No matter the time

tsou89
3/5/2012, 09:26 PM

The waiting list is indeed a joke. If you want season tickets all you have to do is donate to Sooner Club and bingo...you're a season ticket holder. If you don't join one of the booster clubs you'll probably die on the "waiting list".

Sooner24
3/5/2012, 09:26 PM
I can't believe you were stupid enough to go that far. We were hoping for a Helander ending. What a disappointment you are.

Like I said I give up. I can't stand being beaten up anymore by your stupidity.

8timechamps
3/5/2012, 10:10 PM
Coach Stoops addressed last year's late starts in today's press conference. He basically said he didn't like all the late starts, and said it was unfair for one of the conference's teams to have to play so many late game. He mentioned the team getting in at 3 or 4 in the morning after last year's KU game.

So, if you're not a fan of late starts, Coach Stoops is with you.

StoopTroup
3/6/2012, 12:49 AM
Like I said I give up. I can't stand being beaten up anymore by your stupidity.

Or I your idiocy. You continue to make things pretty clear without using any brain power. Are you sure you weren't cloned from Traber's Gluteus Maximus?

Is this just that you can't stop until I give in and let you have the last word or are you using the Hitler method where you continue to wage war even though it's clear that you and Ava will not leave your bunker alive? You know...kind of an after death attempt at getting Churchill, Stalin or FDR tried for War Crimes even though you were the cause of your own demise?

Sooner24
3/6/2012, 09:45 AM
Or I your idiocy. You continue to make things pretty clear without using any brain power. Are you sure you weren't cloned from Traber's Gluteus Maximus?

Is this just that you can't stop until I give in and let you have the last word or are you using the Hitler method where you continue to wage war even though it's clear that you and Ava will not leave your bunker alive? You know...kind of an after death attempt at getting Churchill, Stalin or FDR tried for War Crimes even though you were the cause of your own demise?

Your rapier stupidity once again wounds me.

StoopTroup
3/6/2012, 10:31 AM
Good.

nativesooner
3/6/2012, 11:13 AM
The waiting list is indeed a joke. If you want season tickets all you have to do is donate to Sooner Club and bingo...you're a season ticket holder. If you don't join one of the booster clubs you'll probably die on the "waiting list".

Yep! in fact, every now and then they send out a letter that looks something like this…

Dear Sooner Season Ticket Holder Wannabe!

The waiting list for OU season tickets is longer than Santa’s list of kids. On that list, you are number 1,980,450 and Hell will likely freeze over before you reach the top. HOWEVER…. We here at the Sooner Club can get you hooked up NOW for the unbelievable price of $100 per seat! That’s right, $100 (per seat) and you too can have the prestige of being an OU season ticket holder! $100 per seat is a HUGE bargain considering you’ll bypass the other 1,980,449 people above you on the list and will get tickets this fall! If you join now, we’ll not only send you a thank you sticker for your car window, we’ll also have a student athlete call you to thank you personally during a time you’re not home (thank you callers are based on giving level, football players for the big donors, row team members for you if you do the $100 per). You will also earn priority points for tickets to away games and the most coveted RED RIVER RIVALRY game in Dallas (don’t get your hopes up though, as it will take you 10 years or another renovation to get enough points at $100 per seat). If you’re interested, give us a call and we will take care of you! If you call within the next 24 hours, you can use the phrase “I’m taking the bait” for a free football schedule poster (must be picked up in person). Please act quickly because we’re sending this same letter to the other 1,980,449 people on the list and we’ll more than likely get some to bite!

Thank you, and
Boomer Sooner!
SC

PS, donating $100 per seat will likely get you tickets in the south endzone on top of the new jumbotron. We strongly encourage you to give more for a chance at better seating. Thank you!

yermom
3/6/2012, 12:47 PM
i had tickets for a couple of years (after joining the Sooner Club and getting tickets in 2004) and then my waiting list spot opened up. i think i got on the list in 2001 or 2002, i can't remember exactly

they didn't/couldn't come out and say that i'd get tickets automatically by joining the Sooner Club, but i did

i didn't get Texas tickets until they expanded, hopefully i can keep them...

kustang619
3/7/2012, 10:59 AM
I live in St. Louis as well... I got to 3-4 home games a years, maybe we should car pool...lol