PDA

View Full Version : Rock and Roll's best brawlers?

cleller
2/14/2012, 10:05 PM
Somehow I ran across a video on Youtube dealing with an old garage band from the 60's called Cyrus Erie. Some members of this band went on to form the power pop band The Raspberries in the early 70's. They had one major hit, the lewd but lovable "Go All The Way". With Eric Carmen out front, these guys hardly seemed like brawlers. Anyway, someone mentioned the guitarist, Wally Bryson was being hassled by some loud mouth one night, and let the guy have it with the neck of his guitar. After the brawl, Bryson went on to finish the show.

It reminded me of an interview I once saw with rockabilly star Ronnie Hawkins. His band, The Hawks eventually went out on their own, forming The Band in the late 60's. Hawkins said fights were an almost nightly occurrence, with he and Levon Helm always ready to dispense justice from the stage.

It struck me that you rarely hear of a musicians with a combative nature. Roger Daltry was about the only guy I could think of that was regarded as a genuine tough guy. So, I was just wondering who else in the classic rock era was known for the alpha-male characteristics? I'd imagine Ronnie Van Zandt would be ready to go at it.

Others?

Mississippi Sooner
2/14/2012, 10:15 PM
Well it's pretty well known that John Bonham would fight anyone at the drop of a hat. Especially if he had been drinking.

Breadburner
2/14/2012, 11:29 PM
I heard the drummer for Molly Hatchet liked to fight as much as play the drums....

cleller
2/15/2012, 08:25 AM
Well it's pretty well known that John Bonham would fight anyone at the drop of a hat. Especially if he had been drinking.

Not to mention Zeppelin's manager Peter Grant. Their was an infamous brawl in Oakland that briefly landed Bonzo and Grant in jail.