PDA

View Full Version : Will our "rivalry" with the Mountaineers be...

Lott's Bandana
2/14/2012, 12:58 PM
...a.) contentious (TX, OSU)

...b.) respectful (Neb, Alabama)

Or is there a c.)?

FWIW, I'm hoping it is b.), my hatred of whorn and cynicism of aggy already wears me out. :single_eye:

cccasooner2
2/14/2012, 12:59 PM
c.) a myth

EatLeadCommie
2/14/2012, 01:03 PM
it won't be a rivalry, but they will provide more than an adequate replacement for Colorado fans and quickly become the most loathed fanbase in the conference. We will have problems playing there and our fans will not want to attend games there. They and LSU fans have a lot in common.

badger
2/14/2012, 01:08 PM
The couch burning lurker said that their fanbase is just one that people like to start sh!t with, and I don't think we're that type of fanbase, so we might get along cordially to a degree with them. I mean, did any of you every have a bad experience in Colorado, other than losing? Those fans don't really give a crap about football. They just wanna throw marshmallows, snowballs and Homecoming t-shirts when Texas takes a three-touchdown lead :eek:

Curly Bill
2/14/2012, 01:14 PM
I think they'll be a worthy foe, that more often than not we should and will beat, but there will be years they jump up and bite us in the arse.

...don't know if that answered the question or not?

LVSOONER15
2/14/2012, 01:20 PM
They will be a team that will give us tougha game every year. Hell, I think they take over the #3 spot in our conference now.

Flagstaffsooner
2/14/2012, 01:39 PM
Dont invite them to tailgates.

http://www.nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/umpire-hill-billy-399x300.jpg

Curly Bill
2/14/2012, 01:43 PM
Dont invite them to tailgates.

http://www.nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/umpire-hill-billy-399x300.jpg

That's a much younger and skinnier lookin Vet!

jkjsooner
2/14/2012, 01:53 PM
The couch burning lurker said that their fanbase is just one that people like to start sh!t with, and I don't think we're that type of fanbase, so we might get along cordially to a degree with them. I mean, did any of you every have a bad experience in Colorado, other than losing? Those fans don't really give a crap about football. They just wanna throw marshmallows, snowballs and Homecoming t-shirts when Texas takes a three-touchdown lead :eek:

You weren't around to experience the early '90s version of Colorado. The arrogance probably had less to do with their fanbase than it did with the "came from nowhere to become a national power" aspect of their program...

MeMyself&Me
2/14/2012, 01:55 PM
I think it will be like playing Missery.

badger
2/14/2012, 01:57 PM
You weren't around to experience the early '90s version of Colorado. The arrogance probably had less to do with their fanbase than it did with the "came from nowhere to become a national power" aspect of their program...

Baylor fans ARE starting to act/sound more like Texans lately, hehe.

I think I would have enjoyed cocky Colorado much better than passive Colorado. I mean, those Big 12 title games in the mid-aughts were BOR-ING because they brought zero fans and zero enthusiasm to the game. I went to Boulder in either 2003 or 2004 and their announcer was telling the crowd what to yell and when. Can you image our guy telling us during pregame "Now it's time to chant OU!" when our band takes the field? Our crowd just KNOWS when to yell it.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/14/2012, 02:12 PM

Except you forget that they filled the snowballs up with batteries.

SoonerMarkVA
2/14/2012, 02:16 PM
Hopefully they'll be good hosts since it's the main chance I'll get to see games in person. If I can't take my 10-yr-old, then I won't go.

badger
2/14/2012, 02:29 PM
Except you forget that they filled the snowballs up with batteries.

Do you give your child a Christmas present without batteries?

Here, Junior! A brand new Elmo doll that talks and sings and plays the drums and... does none of that because it needs batteries.

You now feel like the worst father in the world.

In conclusion, don't give a Buffalo a snowball without including batteries, or you will be the worst Buff-father in the world.

soonervegas
2/14/2012, 02:38 PM
A. - We will hate each other in 5 years........

cjames317
2/14/2012, 02:39 PM
... better with moonshine?

virginiasooner
2/14/2012, 03:17 PM
This rivalry will please East Coast Sooner fans who can't get to Norman more than once or twice a decade to see a game.

wvbeta1610
2/14/2012, 03:44 PM
I guess I am the "lurker"??? Awesome....I think we will be hospitable to just about everyone for a good while...it will take a close game with some crazy calls/no-calls or some kind of controversy to gin up some bad blood.....you BX12'ers need to remember that many of us (including me) have never been to just about all of your venues, so we are looking forward to some hospitality and seeing some sights...we will wear our "stuff" and cheer when we come into B12 land, but we can take it...BLEAST has got to have some of the nastiest fans in D1 fball....has always been that way...no one that I knew that went to Fiesta in' 08 had one bad word to say about Sooner fans...everyone was nice.....just that damn 'boomer schooner' cadence after a first down, etc drove us all nuts!!! I am told that TCU, Kansas, Kstate, and TTU fans are not real high on WVU...not sure but that is some feedback I have got from some of my brethren...
:congratulatory:

8timechamps
2/14/2012, 04:18 PM
I won't call it a rivalry, and it will not be on par with the RRR or Bedlam, but I think they will quickly grow to become our third most hated team in conference. Last time we played them, it was an embarrassment, so we already have a reason to beat them. They have fielded good teams over the years and have history (unlike many of our Big XII brethren). So, I'm guessing it's going to be a hate-filled game within the next few years.

The TCU game will be more of a respectful affair, without giving newcomer TCU too much respect.

badger
2/14/2012, 04:28 PM
I guess I am the "lurker"???
Sorry... do you prefer "West Virginia resident opposing fan?" We already have a few Baylor residents and Poke residents. I think we only have one whorn left. The other one I disappeared after their 5-7 season Hook em

I am told that TCU, Kansas, Kstate, and TTU fans are not real high on WVU...not sure but that is some feedback I have got from some of my brethren...
:congratulatory:

It's likely the fact that they see you as competition. These are our mini-programs that might raise a big stink in basketball, occasionally (seldom/never) in football, and don't want another powerhouse program to compete with. But... since they have absolutely no sway in this conference, eff them, because what OU and UT say goes :D

Jacie
2/14/2012, 04:33 PM
For reasons I do not know, I cannot remember the game vs WV in 78, even though I was there. I do, unfortunately, have vivid memories of sitting through the game in 82 (we thought that famous Norman heat would cause em to wilt in the 4th quarter) and watching that F-Bowl in 07.

Based on my memories of two shocking losses then, I would go with a.) contentious

papawlambert
2/14/2012, 04:40 PM
Well most of you know I have been an avid Sooner fan for almost 60yrs, but my Grandson just signed with WVU. I will still root for the Sooners except at WVU. I do know that they sell beer in the Stadium during the WVU games.
Boomer Sooner

wvbeta1610
2/14/2012, 04:51 PM
Well most of you know I have been an avid Sooner fan for almost 60yrs, but my Grandson just signed with WVU. I will still root for the Sooners except at WVU. I do know that they sell beer in the Stadium during the WVU games.
Boomer Sooner

Mr. Lambert: it is a pleasure to have Josh come aboard and hope he is looking forward to coming to Morgantown. I am su re you have, but the rest of you may want to check this out...

http://www.wvmetronews.com/wvu.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=50872

Best of Luck and Welcome to West By God Virginia- Josh. "West Virginia is the Best Virginia"

LASooner
2/14/2012, 05:13 PM
I expect it will be like our relationship with Texas Tech.

"Annoying"

jumperstop
2/14/2012, 05:51 PM
Sorry... do you prefer "West Virginia resident opposing fan?" We already have a few Baylor residents and Poke residents. I think we only have one whorn left. The other one I disappeared after their 5-7 season Hook em

It's likely the fact that they see you as competition. These are our mini-programs that might raise a big stink in basketball, occasionally (seldom/never) in football, and don't want another powerhouse program to compete with. But... since they have absolutely no sway in this conference, eff them, because what OU and UT say goes :D

Lid will be back when UT can finally win one, until then probably best for him to hide. What can he say when we have scoreboard?

8timechamps
2/14/2012, 06:08 PM
Boomer Sooner

Maybe we can win 24-21 (with WVU kicking/making 7 FGs).

papawlambert
2/14/2012, 06:13 PM
You are tough on Papaw.

8timechamps
2/14/2012, 06:43 PM
You are tough on Papaw.

Someone has to keep you out of trouble on here.

C&CDean
2/14/2012, 06:53 PM
Boomer Sooner

I already mentioned this before, but how in the hell can you root for somebody over the Sooners for any reason? Root for your grandson, hope he kicks em' all. Hope he sets all-time NCAA records and makes a brazillion$$ in the NFL, etc., but you can't root against the Sooners. Like I mentioned, I root for Adrian Peterson to get 300 yards every game - but hope the Viqueens lose them all.

Papa needs to get his priorities in order I'm thinking. Some things are thicker than blood...

papawlambert
2/14/2012, 07:21 PM
I hear ya C&CDean. I have a Son that played baseball at TTU. I really can't feel anything for them at all, especially since Leach left and Tubbyville appeared.

oudavid1
2/14/2012, 07:33 PM
Boomer Sooner

What a stupid policy.

oudavid1
2/14/2012, 07:35 PM
I hear ya C&CDean. I have a Son that played baseball at TTU. I really can't feel anything for them at all, especially since Leach left and Tubbyville appeared.

The man I am named after played for Tennessee, I wore his number growing up....that said, I hope OU kicks the sh** out of Tennessee in a few years. My dad chose to raise his kin in Oklahoma. Boomer Sooner. (GO Vols every other game)

LRoss
2/14/2012, 08:18 PM
I lived in Louisville from '02-09, and Louisville fans definitely hated WVU fans more than any other (outside of UK, anyway).

HATED.

And Louisville fans were just about the least obnoxious fan base I'd ever lived around.

virginiasooner
2/14/2012, 08:28 PM
For reasons I do not know, I cannot remember the game vs WV in 78, even though I was there. I do, unfortunately, have vivid memories of sitting through the game in 82 (we thought that famous Norman heat would cause em to wilt in the 4th quarter) and watching that F-Bowl in 07.

Based on my memories of two shocking losses then, I would go with a.) contentious

I remember that 78 game vividly, mainly because it was the very first game that I attended. It was blazing hot, the West Virginia band performed at halftime, and midway through the third quarter the band members were passing out from the heat. It was a complete and total rout. I'm looking forward to a road trip to West Virginia. Hopefully the DC OU club will get together a bus trip to Morgantown!

ouwasp
2/14/2012, 09:02 PM
I remember the '78 game.....first OU game I ever attended! Funny- before the game I heard a couple of WV band girls complaining to one another..."These Oklahoma folks don't even know who we are.... What do you mean?... Oh, there was an old lady that told me she hoped we had a good trip from Wake Forest!"

I imagine the relationship will maybe become testy. An interesting aspect is that OU and WV generally won't be after the same recruits. So maybe that will help temper things.

LASooner
2/14/2012, 10:48 PM
I do know that they sell beer in the Stadium during the WVU games.

That's the quickest way to cause your living room furniture to explode with flame

Breadburner
2/14/2012, 11:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc3SEBA-9nU

Sooner_Tuf
2/15/2012, 04:11 AM
I have always enjoyed their fans in the past. I love their state and I hope they love ours. I hope it becomes more of a friendship than a rivalry.

TCU I think will become more of a rivalry, it's closer, we both recruit a lot of the same players, etc.

WV fans aren't ra'tards like the pokes. I'm excited to see them in the Big XII. More so than Mizzou or aTm.

UberSooner
2/15/2012, 09:27 AM
It will be a nasty rivalry. They will be like TT with a defense and we will lose reguarly. They are a team that I could see coming to Norman and taking a win with some frequency. All this is a assuming Holgorson stays.

olevetonahill
2/15/2012, 09:56 AM
Isnt the Beer a No Deal in the B12?

If it is then wont they have to quit sellin it now?

Or will we get to buy a few at Home games?

badger
2/15/2012, 10:08 AM

Implying that people don't drink alcohol at Big 12 games because it isn't allowed.

Implying that Big 12 schools wouldn't overcharge the hell out of said alcohol.

Implying that dry campuses like OU's would ever consider selling alcohol at football games just because WVU does.

Implying that pocket shots are not in every Sooner's pocket at the gate check and in a souvenir cup of coke by kickoff.

IMPLYINGIMPLYINGIMPLYINGIMPLYINGIMPLYINGIMPLYINGIM PLYING :P

Breadburner
2/15/2012, 10:18 AM
Holgerson aint never beat OU....!

olevetonahill
2/15/2012, 10:23 AM
Was a serious question about the sale of Beer Badj.
Personally the only booze Ive ever carried into the stadium has already been consumed .
Well cept way back in the 70s an early 80s

badger
2/15/2012, 10:50 AM
Was a serious question about the sale of Beer Badj.
Personally the only booze Ive ever carried into the stadium has already been consumed .
Well cept way back in the 70s an early 80s

I know, but I was saying in a not-serious way that I seriously don't think that the sale of beer will ever happen at OU, nor other schools that have discontinued it, and that the current underground (under-your-jacket) practice seems to be working fine.

BetterSoonerThanLater
2/15/2012, 11:35 AM
i think we should be proactive in our approach to developing a good relationship with WVU fans...like maybe we bring them some coon skin hats, wife beaters, or some dentures.

maybe that will soften the blow when we repeatadly kick their asses every year.

" man this sux getting our asses kicked every year, but i can't get mad at OU...after all, they were so thoughtful in giving us those nice presents back in 2012"

StoopTroup
2/15/2012, 12:40 PM
Mountain Queers.

F-em!

Now that we have that out of the way.

Welcome to the Big XII ya bunch of Hillbilies.

badger
2/15/2012, 02:05 PM
i think we should be proactive in our approach to developing a good relationship with WVU fans...like maybe we bring them some coon skin hats, wife beaters, or some dentures.

We could line the Ruf-Neks up outside their team hotel the night before and fire the guns repeatedly. Their mascot has a gun, right :P

soonertravis
2/15/2012, 02:36 PM
it won't be a rivalry, but they will provide more than an adequate replacement for Colorado fans and quickly become the most loathed fanbase in the conference. We will have problems playing there and our fans will not want to attend games there. They and LSU fans have a lot in common.

Agree with this. I understand from a friend who attended WVU that there are fights in the stands and they are vicious. This is not OU-Nebraska.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/15/2012, 03:43 PM

I'm pretty sure it's up to each individual University. I remember not that long ago, Colorado served beer at their stadium. Also, remember when OU did the stadium expansion a couple years ago? They had beer in the suites until Boren caught wind of it. Also, I remember in either 2001 or 2002, Budweiser made an offer to sell beer at OU and wanted to advertise, but OU said no.

olevetonahill
2/15/2012, 05:45 PM
I'm pretty sure it's up to each individual University. I remember not that long ago, Colorado served beer at their stadium. Also, remember when OU did the stadium expansion a couple years ago? They had beer in the suites until Boren caught wind of it. Also, I remember in either 2001 or 2002, Budweiser made an offer to sell beer at OU and wanted to advertise, but OU said no.

OK I thot it was a B12 rule er sompun . Just remember they dint sell any at the B12 Champ game against Neb.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/15/2012, 06:15 PM
OK I thot it was a B12 rule er sompun . Just remember they dint sell any at the B12 Champ game against Neb.

That, that was the succ

8timechamps
2/15/2012, 09:25 PM

Here's the deal, the only beer/alcohol ban that is currently in place is the NCAA ban on alcohol sales at any of it's championship games/sites. I don't know if the conference championship games fall under that rule though. Each school decides it's own policy, and for a long time it's been to ban alcohol sales.

It's all about revenue. I think there are about 25 schools that sell alcohol in their luxury suites. So, for us common folk, it's going to be tailgate consumption for a while I think.

AlboSooner
2/15/2012, 10:59 PM
there is no OU vs Okie St rivalry.

Jason Alexander
2/16/2012, 12:15 AM

I can only imagine how Billy Callahan would respond to WVU fans

OUstud
2/16/2012, 03:06 AM

Both times. 2006 was the first year of no beer, I think. The worst was 2010 because stupid JerryWorld had Miller signs EVERYWHERE, and beer in the fridges, but they were padlocked away. Maybe Neinas can bring beer back if we get a title game again...

DCsooner22
2/16/2012, 06:15 AM
This rivalry will please East Coast Sooner fans who can't get to Norman more than once or twice a decade to see a game.

Here, here! I plan on attending and shall report on my experiences - good and bad.

Looking forward to it. :)

wvbeta1610
2/16/2012, 03:54 PM
Mountain Queers.

F-em!

Now that we have that out of the way.

Stoop and Better Sooner: THANKS and F-OFF!! That's awesome...we can't wait for us hillbillies to see what the big city of Norman is like..golly gee....our offense was pretty good when we hung 48 on you in the Bowl...be fun to see if we can score 60 this time around once we put our teeth in and change out of our wife-beaters....we look forward to seeing y'all in Motown this year....

Thanks for the warm welcome and let's get it on...Montani Semper Liberi .....shucks Jethro is that old fashened Latin for Mountaineers kick ***?

wvbeta1610
2/16/2012, 04:03 PM
Agree with this. I understand from a friend who attended WVU that there are fights in the stands and they are vicious. This is not OU-Nebraska.

Vicious and fight only when provoked, winning by a lot or losing by any amount....the teeth, barefoot stuff won't go over to well .....other than that we will be very welcoming with lots of beer drunk girls and lots of grilling and pepperoni rolls....

soonergirlNeugene
2/16/2012, 04:22 PM
I'm kinda hoping for another Nebraska type rivalry. I doubt we'll see that though. It's really rare to find rivalries like that anywhere. I think the tech comparison is probably the most likely, except I see WV as having more success than Tech.

StoopTroup
2/16/2012, 04:37 PM
Vicious and fight only when provoked..

Yeah that's the way they all always are...LMAO

At least you aren't much different than other fans who lie about how it goes down when other fans show up and enjoy their Team whooping the crap out of their Team.

So far I get the feeling it will end with a lot of bad stories on message boards about how OU Fans were treated like ****.

The venues that are known for good treatment of opposing fans usually have a better invite than "Don't start no ****, won't be no ****".

Just sayin'....

King Crimson
2/16/2012, 05:18 PM
we owe those guys for 1982 and Hostetler.

SoonerSpock
2/16/2012, 07:53 PM
...a.) contentious (TX, OSU)

...b.) respectful (Neb, Alabama)

Or is there a c.)?

FWIW, I'm hoping it is b.), my hatred of whorn and cynicism of aggy already wears me out. :single_eye:

One needs only to read the media's perspective on the fans of both Nebraska and Alabama followed by the perspective of Mountaineer fans and you can answer the question yourself.

Also one needs only look at fans that are new to success and compare them to fans of traditional football powers to grasp their differences. Might be compared to the difference in the new rich and old money. Old money understands the responsibility to community, culture and family. The new rich, not so much. They tend to be too focused on me only.

FirstandGoal
2/16/2012, 11:18 PM
Implying that pocket shots are not in every Sooner's pocket at the gate check and in a souvenir cup of coke by kickoff.

IMPLYINGIMPLYINGIMPLYINGIMPLYINGIMPLYINGIMPLYINGIM PLYING :P

LOL, Vet and I actually have a story about seeing an old lady with some pocket shots during a game...

jkjsooner
2/20/2012, 03:13 PM
The venues that are known for good treatment of opposing fans usually have a better invite than "Don't start no ****, won't be no ****".

I'm going to defend the WVU fans here. I'm sure they have to put up more than their fair share of imbred type jokes. You can't expect them to sit by and let that happen.

All in all I think OU fans are pretty respectful but if we had to put up with that crap I think you'd see a different side from us as well.

I've been to a Pitt/WVU game in Morgantown. It was back in the day of Zereoue and Bulger. The game went to 3 or 4 overtimes. The fans seemed pretty decent. It's a rivalry game so there was trash talking but I didn't see any fights. But, anyway, I wouldn't expect them to sit by and let someone trash their state. I might try to make the game and I promise you I won't be making such ignorant comments.

StoopTroup
2/20/2012, 03:54 PM
It's probably good you heed his warnings.

I don't get you on this one but I hope you have a great time.

I'm gonna say this though, when you are playing host and your team gets beat and the folks that traveled halfway across America to see it get excited and are happy their Team won, it's not OK to gang up and beat them to death because they are happy about the outcome of a Football Game. It's best you turn the other cheek and move on rather than get upset and ensure your Venue doesn't again earn the reputation of being a ****hole.

jkjsooner
2/20/2012, 04:07 PM
It's probably good you heed his warnings.

I don't get you on this one but I hope you have a great time.

I'm gonna say this though, when you are playing host and your team gets beat and the folks that traveled halfway across America to see it get excited and are happy their Team won, it's not OK to gang up and beat them to death because they are happy about the outcome of a Football Game. It's best you turn the other cheek and move on rather than get upset and ensure your Venue doesn't again earn the reputation of being a ****hole.

I agree but I think the poster was saying more about the rude comments that they tend to get not about fans cheering for their own team.

BTW, I wasn't claiming you made ignorant comments. Hope it didn't seem that way...

StoopTroup
2/20/2012, 04:54 PM
I think most folks who come to Norman are treated nicely. There may be the occasional problem but for the most part I think Norman is well known for being a place your Team might not win a game at but you are safe to visit on Game Days.

When these Schools get hit for YouTube Video events showing people gang up on visitors and even just throwing stuff at them when all they did was buy tickets through their own tkt office, they deserve getting stuck with a bad reputation as a host.

I surely hope OU Fans continue to do what it takes to be good hosts but the last five years I've seen a turn towards some fans not even treating other OU Fans very well. I surely hope that it does.

Currently the Boy Scouts are our seating assistants and they do a great job but I have seen some Fans have to get them to call the NPD down just to get into the seats they paid for. It's sad to see such things happen. I'm always reminded of those signs on the highway that say "Drive Friendly". I think the same thing goes for folks when they pack into Memorial Stadium on Game Days. I surely hope the Boy Scouts are always able to do the job and that people will continue to support them in helping people with seating instead of having to hire bonded security to force people to act right in public.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/20/2012, 07:18 PM
I have a hard time taking any fanbase as credible that burns couches...

Sabanball
2/20/2012, 09:33 PM
I think most folks who come to Norman are treated nicely. There may be the occasional problem but for the most part I think Norman is well known for being a place your Team might not win a game at but you are safe to visit on Game Days. When these Schools get hit for YouTube Video events showing people gang up on visitors and even just throwing stuff at them when all they did was buy tickets through their own tkt office, they deserve getting stuck with a bad reputation as a host.

I surely hope OU Fans continue to do what it takes to be good hosts but the last five years I've seen a turn towards some fans not even treating other OU Fans very well. I surely hope that it does.

Currently the Boy Scouts are our seating assistants and they do a great job but I have seen some Fans have to get them to call the NPD down just to get into the seats they paid for. It's sad to see such things happen. I'm always reminded of those signs on the highway that say "Drive Friendly". I think the same thing goes for folks when they pack into Memorial Stadium on Game Days. I surely hope the Boy Scouts are always able to do the job and that people will continue to support them in helping people with seating instead of having to hire bonded security to force people to act right in public.

Absolutely agree about Norman and the game day experience that you guys offer. It's wonderful. We had a great time there in ' 02 despite the loss on the field. Only thing I would say that needs slight improvement is more room for RV's...:)

As for you guys and the Mountaineers, I think it will be a respectable rivalry. They may have some quircky traditions(burning couches) and a lot of hillbillies, but their fans are great and appreciate good football. Like Bama and OU, they don't have any pro football teams so WV football is VERY big in that state.

Sabanball
2/20/2012, 09:35 PM
we owe those guys for 1982 and Hostetler.

...And 2008 and Pat White?

Bourbon St Sooner
2/23/2012, 01:49 PM
...And 2008 and Pat White?

Our revenge for 2008 was getting Bill Stewart hired:D