PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for one of our own...(Howzit)

Lott's Bandana
2/14/2012, 10:25 AM
...who is dealing with a significant trauma to one of his own. Things are really looking better, but he received quite a scare over the weekend.

I'm sorry for the cryptic note, but I don't feel it appropriate for me to identify which particular SoonerFan is dealing with this sudden challenge without permission, but no doubt most of you know this longtime poster and many of you are friends. I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge another SoonerFan that is supporting him and needs our love as well.

Please take a moment and send some thoughts and prayers to them the next few weeks.

Thanks for listening.

EDIT: Howzit posted this on Facebook, so I am taking the chance it is okay to share with all of you:

Saturday:
For my FB friends that have not heard, Chloe fractured her neck in a gymnastics accident and is currently in Trauma ICU at OU Medical Center. She had surgery yesterday and it went well. We should know by Tuesday what type of rehab will be required, but we are all positive. Many prayers, countless good thoughts, some bad *** joo joo, and a couple of lopped off chicken heads have been sent our way. We are thankful for each and every one.

Today:
If you had told me Friday that Chloe would be walking and giving a thumbs up on Monday, I would never have believed it. The progress over the weekend is nothing short of amazing, and with a couple of weeks of in-patient rehab at Jim Thorpe, she may just be discharged before her 21st bd on March 8. You're a beast, kid.

olevetonahill
2/14/2012, 10:43 AM
In , Bro

Boomer.....
2/14/2012, 11:16 AM
In!

colleyvillesooner
2/14/2012, 11:30 AM
in

badger
2/14/2012, 11:39 AM
in

Whet
2/14/2012, 10:00 PM
in!

olevetonahill
2/14/2012, 10:09 PM
Just read yer Edit

Mo prayers fer her and her family
Shes a sweet kid and Ive enjoyed visiting and talking to her .
God Bless

yermom
2/14/2012, 10:58 PM
great news, Rich.

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2012, 08:54 AM
Wow, Rich that is amazing. Prayers will continue for her speedy recovery.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/15/2012, 08:58 AM
Hope for a full recovery.

C&CDean
2/15/2012, 09:23 AM
Looks like Junior is tougher than the old man, which stands to reason. She's a gymnast and he's a fairy-boy swimmer...

All the best to you guys as you work through this deal. Also, the fine folks at Jim Thorpe are the absolute best. When Jered was there for 9-weeks of in-patient and another year of out-patient they worked miracles on him. He hated every second of it, but it was so necessary.

Speedy recovery Junior.

TUSooner
2/15/2012, 10:10 AM
In with the prayers & best wishes, Rich. Glad to hear Junior is on the way to full recovery. Whew!

Curly Bill
2/15/2012, 10:30 AM
Glad there's good news. Continued prayers and well wishes.

Howzit
2/15/2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks everybody. She's doing really well, but is a little bummed because they are keeping her an extra day in ICU instead of transferring to Jim Thorpe. Nothing serious, just taking a little longer to cut back on the blood pressure meds than they had thought.

Every day a nurse will say something that reminds me how lucky she is, this could have been so much worse, and the odds are that it probably should have been worse. She is, indeed, a beast.

olevetonahill
2/15/2012, 11:35 AM
Give her a Hug for me. And let her know Id like another dance :tennis:

Howzit
2/15/2012, 11:39 AM
I'll do it. :)

C&CDean
2/15/2012, 11:46 AM
Also let her know I bought one of those new go-fast Gators and she's always welcome to come out and thrash it about.

Oldnslo
2/15/2012, 12:20 PM
ALL prayers in, Rich. I'm thrilled she's doing so well!

3rdgensooner
2/15/2012, 01:40 PM
She's tenacious. I like that.

Fraggle145
2/15/2012, 01:57 PM
Glad to hear she is on the way to recovery.

picasso
2/15/2012, 09:17 PM
God bless the Howzit crew.

Turd_Ferguson
2/15/2012, 09:34 PM
Glad to hear every thing is going in the positive direction...prayers for you and yours.

olevetonahill
2/24/2012, 08:47 PM
Update?

Whet
2/24/2012, 10:33 PM
She is doing well! Miracle-like recovery!

Sooooo, update time.

Jr was admitted (finally) to Jim Thorpe last Monday. She is so far beyond all of the other patients there, it was pretty apparent pretty quick that her stay would not last long, and sure enough, she will be discharged this coming Monday. She is doing well walking stairs (77 yesterday), and on the treadmill (a mile yesterday). They discontinued her speech therapy almost immediately, as there just was not a need. She will be in a neck brace for another 10 weeks or so, and cannot drive until it is off.

Her biggest challenge now is getting back to the school work. The university has been very good so far in terms of communicating with the professors and making sure they know to work with her. She is finding it difficult, though, to concentrate and do much studying due to the pain meds. I keep telling her to focus on where she is compared to 2 weeks ago, and that she'll keep progressing from here, hopefully she won't need those meds much longer. I am going back up tomorrow to spend the weekend with her, she is allowed to leave the facility so we may get out to see a movie or something. But not The Descendants, I heard that sucks.

The word miracle is thrown around all too easily, in my opinion. But after talking to so many doctors and therapists, after seeing the icu nurses reactions of disbelief and happiness when they would see her up and walking her circuit of the icu floor, after meeting other patients at JT with similar injuries that will never walk again, I'm not sure I can view it any other way. Thank you all for your prayers, your thoughts, and the chicken heads that, by the way, are beginning to smell like ****.

My God, I love you all.

On a side note, some of the stories of other patients are just heartbreaking. There are 3 other young women that we have met, ages 16, 18, and 20. All 3were in car accidents, all 3 were not wearing seat belts, all 3 will most likely never walk again. One of them, the 18 y/o that has a 4 month old baby, was out drinking with her husband NYE. He had a wreck, she broke her neck hitting the air bag (in the same place as Jr), he left her there at the accident so he would not get a dui. Left his paralyzed wife to avoid a dui. Later when the police came to question him, he claimed she was driving, which DNA evidence from the hair and blood where his head hit the windshield disproved. What a guy.

GottaHavePride
2/24/2012, 10:46 PM
Holy cow! Just saw this one. Here's hoping to a speedy and full recovery! (Sounds like she's already well on the way...) *knock on wood*

sooneron
2/26/2012, 12:12 AM
Just saw it too! Glad to hear that she's making a solid recovery! Positive thoughts your way!

delhalew
2/28/2012, 07:04 PM
Thank God for the positive outcome. Scary. My best wishes to your family.

Ike
2/29/2012, 10:13 AM
Sorry I missed this earlier Howzit. More chicken heads are on the way!

Frozen Sooner
2/29/2012, 10:28 AM
Glad Junior's doing better. Best of luck on a speedy recovery.

StoopTroup
3/3/2012, 01:27 PM
Rich, glad everything is Heading in a positive direction. I can't imagine what you were going through initially. Good thoughts and prayers to you and her.

salth2o
3/4/2012, 10:55 PM
Continued prayers for a full recovery.

OUinFLA
3/4/2012, 11:23 PM
Wow, Rich, I'm sorry I just saw this tonight.
Glad the recovery is going well, I'll certainly add some prayers from Florida for a full and speedy recovery.

nmsoonergirl
3/7/2012, 12:29 PM
Sorry I missed this. So happy the recovery is going well--I spend part of my time working at the pediatric rehab hospital, and so I can totally appreciate what a blessing this is. Take care!

Sooner in Tampa
3/8/2012, 12:17 PM
God Bless the Howzit clan and Junior!!! It's GREAT to hear she is recovering well...prayers that her progress continues!

3/9/2012, 03:06 PM
Why does everyone keep calling Howzit "Rich?"

stoops the eternal pimp
3/9/2012, 03:16 PM
Cuz the dude is loaded...

olevetonahill
3/9/2012, 03:19 PM
Why does everyone keep calling Howzit "Rich?"

He says he has a 10 incher.. Now Thats RICH

hawaii 5-0
3/9/2012, 03:30 PM
Prayers for a healthy recovery.

5-0

Howzit
3/9/2012, 04:19 PM
Thank you, everyone. I haven't checked in on this thread in a while, but Jr really is doing great. The original estimate of 4 weeks of in-patient rehab and another 4 to 8 of out-patient turned into 1 week of in-patient. Period. She was just so very fortunate that the spinal cord was not damaged any more than it was.

She is back in her OU apartment housing and back in class. She did drop one class, but it was for a psychology class she didn't need anyway, and she's still fulltime.

And most importantly, she turned 21 yesterday. I am now accepting condolences for having a 21 year old daughter. :(

Oh, and I am using this episode as a lesson to her on why a job with good insurance is a requirement. $2500 out-of-pocket max is just icing on the cake.

Thanks to all for the concern, thoughts, prayers, and chicken heads.

Viking Kitten
3/9/2012, 04:29 PM
Awesome Howzit. So glad to hear this news. Hugs to you and yours.

olevetonahill
3/9/2012, 04:39 PM
Fandayumtastic Bro

Great to hear

3/9/2012, 05:33 PM
Great news, Howzit. Can I borrow some money?

olevetonahill
3/9/2012, 05:48 PM
Great news, Howzit. Can I borrow some money?
Borrow hell, I want Chloe to buy me a Lottery ticket

OKC-SLC
3/14/2012, 12:05 PM
Howzit, I didn't see this until today. I'm sorry for all you and yours have been through, but I'm so grateful she's doing so well.

sooneron
3/14/2012, 12:10 PM
Glad to hear that it's going so well. Condolences on that other part.

Howzit
3/14/2012, 01:14 PM
Cost of Jim Thorpe Rehab having Jr walk stairs for a week: $24k

Thank God for insurance.

C&CDean
3/14/2012, 02:49 PM

Thank God for insurance.

Indeed. When Jered was up there the final bill was over $600K - and that was 13 years ago. I payed nothing. Insurance is good.

soonerbrat
3/15/2012, 08:24 AM
Indeed. When Jered was up there the final bill was over $600K - and that was 13 years ago. I payed nothing. Insurance is good.

holy wow....i'm glad I can keep my kids on my insurance still!

OUDoc
3/15/2012, 08:29 AM

Thank God for insurance.
I would have let her walk up and down our stairs for half that price.
You should shop around.

soonerboomer93
3/15/2012, 10:24 AM
Didn't see this until just now. Glad Junior ended up being ok and is recovering well.

Howzit
3/15/2012, 10:45 AM
I would have let her walk up and down our stairs for half that price.
You should shop around.

You knew she was going there, you should have submitted a bid.

cleller
3/15/2012, 04:05 PM
Was also unaware of that situation until now. So glad things are turning out well. Every parent's biggest fear. The sky must look a little bluer today.

8timechamps
3/15/2012, 05:13 PM
You knew she was going there, you should have submitted a bid.

Yeah, but in the end, he would have used a stick with a carrot on the end...so, you went the right way.

salth2o
3/15/2012, 10:43 PM
Yeah, but in the end, he would have used a stick with a carrot on the end...so, you went the right way.

But I hear his OVJ works great as a pain killer, antiseptic, and general cure all.

olevetonahill
4/11/2012, 06:42 PM
Any new Updates?