PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think the $7500 Tax Credit for the Volt is Dumb?

sappstuf
2/13/2012, 10:25 PM
Well Obama proves he can make it even dumber in his new budget proposal... $10K in tax credit for every car sold. Average income of a Volt buyer? $170K annually.

Meanwhile, just to prove Obama has his priorities straight, he kills funding for the DC voucher program that helps poor (mostly) black kids escape failing schools.

Brilliant.

Whet
2/13/2012, 10:29 PM
That teacher's union is powerful! Probably AFL/CIO affiliated, which translates into thousands of foot soldiers and lots of union dues contributed to the campaign! It's the Chicago way!

okie52
2/13/2012, 10:34 PM
Well Obama proves he can make it even dumber in his new budget proposal... $10K in tax credit for every car sold. Average income of a Volt buyer? $170K annually.

Meanwhile, just to prove Obama has his priorities straight, he kills funding for the DC voucher program that helps poor (mostly) black kids escape failing schools.

Brilliant.

Solar energy and the volt to carry us into the future.

Whet
2/13/2012, 10:47 PM
You just want to destroy the environment!

Carbon credits are the only method for saving the earth! Oh, btw, Obama and is group (including Albert Gore) owns the Chicago Climate Exchange - worth $trillions, if they can pull this scam on the citizens!

Some good reading: http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=22663

sappstuf
2/14/2012, 11:33 AM

I'm working on a retro car that Obama should love..

http://img.xcitefun.net/users/2010/11/216885,xcitefun-flintstones-vehicles-7.jpg

okie52
2/14/2012, 11:38 AM
I'm working on a retro car that Obama should love..

http://img.xcitefun.net/users/2010/11/216885,xcitefun-flintstones-vehicles-7.jpg:congratulatory:

And think how good that would be for our fat azz population.

badger
2/14/2012, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't buy one of those even if I did have $170k in annual income. Why? FIRE FIRE FIRE HE HE FIRE! [/beavis]

cccasooner2
2/14/2012, 01:14 PM

It's the free market that should make that happen. Did Henry Ford ask for a subsidy to build his auto?

If true that $10k tax credit for every car sold, eff em. Why not eliminate the middleman? Just give the autoexecs the money straight from the treasury. (Make it direct deposit, don't waste a stamp to mail a check, I wouldn't want to see more gov't waste. :) )

Mississippi Sooner
2/14/2012, 01:21 PM
Does anybody actually buy the Chevy Volt?

badger
2/14/2012, 01:53 PM
It's the free market that should make that happen. Did Henry Ford ask for a subsidy to build his auto?

If true that $10k tax credit for every car sold, eff em. Why not eliminate the middleman? Just give the autoexecs the money straight from the treasury. (Make it direct deposit, don't waste a stamp to mail a check, I wouldn't want to see more gov't waste. :) )

Is it still Government Motors, or does the government not have any stake in GM anymore? If not, it's kind of win-win, isn't it? The government pays you to buy a sporty hot new car, and the government makes money off of its sales!

As for Volts, I have seen Leafs, and Fiats and Smartcars and hybrids, and tons of other new fangled vehicles around Tulsa's road, but NEVER a Volt. My guess is they all caught fire and then were scorched beyond recognition before they could suffer the potholes like the rest of our city's cars.

Ton Loc
2/14/2012, 01:59 PM
I think we need some new natural gas lobbyists. They're obviously failing at their jobs.

pphilfran
2/14/2012, 02:21 PM
Is it still Government Motors, or does the government not have any stake in GM anymore? If not, it's kind of win-win, isn't it? The government pays you to buy a sporty hot new car, and the government makes money off of its sales!

As for Volts, I have seen Leafs, and Fiats and Smartcars and hybrids, and tons of other new fangled vehicles around Tulsa's road, but NEVER a Volt. My guess is they all caught fire and then were scorched beyond recognition before they could suffer the potholes like the rest of our city's cars.

They have only been on sale in Oklahoma since Sept. 2011...nationwide they sold 7671 in 2011...

soonercruiser
2/14/2012, 03:15 PM

And, more Obama debt to carry us into the future!

soonercruiser
2/14/2012, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't buy one of those even if I did have $170k in annual income. Why? FIRE FIRE FIRE HE HE FIRE! [/beavis]

New "batteries not included"!
But, the fire extinguisher behind the front seat is free.

Midtowner
2/14/2012, 03:20 PM
The credit isn't just for the Volt. It applies to the Leaf as well, no?

REDREX
2/14/2012, 03:56 PM
Who would not want an electric car that can go almost 30 miles on a full charge?----- The Dumb part of the Volt is the $500,000 per car in Gov't subsides to develop it----- Almost as stupid as Ethanol subsidies-----Maybe the Gov't should stay out of the way

Midtowner
2/14/2012, 08:06 PM
Who would not want an electric car that can go almost 30 miles on a full charge?----- The Dumb part of the Volt is the $500,000 per car in Gov't subsides to develop it----- Almost as stupid as Ethanol subsidies-----Maybe the Gov't should stay out of the way

The $500K per car is utter BS. There were subsidies, but unless GM tears down their factory after 1 year of production, what you're suggesting is simply not true.

http://www.torquenews.com/1075/250k-chevy-volt-subsidy-claim-bogus-says-thestreetcom

cccasooner2
2/14/2012, 08:26 PM

Win-win for whom?

http://biggovernment.com/smotley/2011/04/04/general-motorsthis-is-what-government-ownership-looks-like/

Here's a later article. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/14/business/government-ownership-and-gm-regulation-dont-mix.html?pagewanted=all

REDREX
2/14/2012, 10:19 PM
The $500K per car is utter BS. There were subsidies, but unless GM tears down their factory after 1 year of production, what you're suggesting is simply not true.

http://www.torquenews.com/1075/250k-chevy-volt-subsidy-claim-bogus-says-thestreetcom---$3,000,000,000 in subsidies---6000 sold you do the math

Midtowner
2/14/2012, 10:29 PM
---$3,000,000,000 in subsidies---6000 sold you do the math

If only 6,000 are sold ever, the math will be different, yes? If we want to compete with China, we have to be willing to compete.

REDREX
2/14/2012, 10:38 PM
If only 6,000 are sold ever, the math will be different, yes? If we want to compete with China, we have to be willing to compete.----The market does not want them---- 600 sold this year----It is a joke ---- What is the barrier to entry?--- develop a battery that last for more than 30 miles and a car that does not cost $45,000 ,exactly what are the Chinese beating us out of ? No rational businessman would want to get into that market

Midtowner
2/14/2012, 10:49 PM
----The market does not want them---- 600 sold this year----It is a joke ---- What is the barrier to entry?--- develop a battery that last for more than 30 miles and a car that does not cost $45,000 ,exactly what are the Chinese beating us out of ? No rational businessman would want to get into that market

Too early to tell if this works. Better this than wars we don't need...

yermom
2/14/2012, 10:56 PM
Too early to tell if this works. Better this than wars we don't need...

i'll give you that, but they should be giving them away or something, because it would take multiple years to make the money back that you are trying to save on gas

Chevy should be selling a better Metro.

hawaii 5-0
2/14/2012, 11:02 PM
I know rwo people that own Nisson Leafs. They love 'em.

They say they're not good on hills as it really sucks the battery. On flat surfaces they're great.

They also don't have to feed parking meters or pay for tag licenses.

5-0

Midtowner
2/14/2012, 11:05 PM
i'll give you that, but they should be giving them away or something, because it would take multiple years to make the money back that you are trying to save on gas

If GM leads the industry on plug-in hybrids, that could be huge.

diverdog
2/14/2012, 11:27 PM

Brilliant.

So did you bitch when republicans had huge tax credits for the purchase of SUV's and luxury cars?

soonercruiser
2/14/2012, 11:46 PM

My drive just to work & back is 32 miles alone.
That's no stops for the grocery store or beer!

soonercruiser
2/14/2012, 11:49 PM
If GM leads the industry on plug-in hybrids, that could be huge.

And if they keep having battery fire recalls, and costing the tax-payer $170K each????
Please don't EVER complain about the military's $200 screwdriver!
THat's a great buy compared to the Volt.

sappstuf
2/15/2012, 12:14 AM

They sold about 231K Cruzes last year. It costs about $17K and gets around 36 MPG. But lower class people who buy the Cruze don't get any tax incentive like those that make $170K a year that can afford the $40K Volt.

sappstuf
2/15/2012, 12:38 AM
So did you bitch when republicans had huge tax credits for the purchase of SUV's and luxury cars?

Surely you are not trying to compare a small business tax credit that helps them buy large vehicles over 6000 pounds with a pointless passenger car that no one wants... Yep, you are.

Incentives or not the Volt will follow the Hummer into the dustbin of history. The only difference is the Hummer was actually successful for several years.

NickDangerThirdEye
2/15/2012, 12:42 AM
Hey, sapp! How are ya? Okie52 and I were talking about you on New Year's Eve.

hawaii 5-0
2/15/2012, 12:55 AM
The Leaf's range is about 73 miles. Great if it's a short commute.

5-0

diverdog
2/15/2012, 07:03 AM
Surely you are not trying to compare a small business tax credit that helps them buy large vehicles over 6000 pounds with a pointless passenger car that no one wants... Yep, you are.

Incentives or not the Volt will follow the Hummer into the dustbin of history. The only difference is the Hummer was actually successful for several years.

No the point is that I am not for either incentive. If you think that deduction was to help small businesses buy cars then you are burying your head in the sand.

diverdog
2/15/2012, 07:05 AM

Good lord there goes the neighborhood.

Midtowner
2/15/2012, 07:42 AM
And if they keep having battery fire recalls, and costing the tax-payer $170K each????
Please don't EVER complain about the military's $200 screwdriver!
THat's a great buy compared to the Volt.

Where do you get $170K each?

I'll grant you there were a lot of subsidies in development of the car, etc., but $170K or all these numbers you're throwing out will only be true if they stop selling these things right now and then burn down their plant.

REDREX
2/15/2012, 09:41 AM
Where do you get $170K each?

I'll grant you there were a lot of subsidies in development of the car, etc., but $170K or all these numbers you're throwing out will only be true if they stop selling these things right now and then burn down their plant.---Do you really believe that GM wants to build this Albatross ? How is it worth MGMT time to care about a car that is not and will not sell and is always in the news about its problems and subsidies

NickDangerThirdEye
2/15/2012, 09:43 AM
Good lord there goes the neighborhood.

:obama icon:

If you ever show up to let me buy you a beer, they'll raze the neighborhood!

Sooner5030
2/15/2012, 10:54 AM
Meh.....F the Leaf and Volt. Those owners get special treatment not only with the subsidy but also they get to opt out of funding DOT thru gasoline taxes. Next thing the gubment will need to tax by the mile. No thanks

loosen the rigid EPA bin system for small diesels please. Also, I wish more of our american autos would look at putting a 3.9 cummins in trucks and SUVs. They work well in the UPS/Fedex trucks.

diverdog
2/15/2012, 10:58 AM
:obama icon:

If you ever show up to let me buy you a beer, they'll raze the neighborhood!

I am thinking about coming out to a game. Use to fly out twice a year but my uncle who got me tickets passed away so I quit going. I would love to meet you guys.

C&CDean
2/15/2012, 11:39 AM
Alls I know is this:

I've seen about 3-4 of these POS golf cart wannabes running about. All of them have been piloted by the same person - or a clone of the same person. A balding, skinny, late 50's/early 60's bespectacled geek wearing a thick woolen sweater with a turtleneck. I have no doubt they were wearing brown corduroy pants and Birkenstocks with thick woolen socks to match their sweater.

I ain't making it up either. That's who buys these stupidmobiles. The one I saw this past weekend also had the optional (but highly recommended) "O in 2012" bumper sticker. Meh.

My F-350 is finally getting 9.1 mpg on $3.79 diesel fuel. **** yeah!

Ton Loc
2/15/2012, 01:52 PM
Meh.....F the Leaf and Volt. Those owners get special treatment not only with the subsidy but also they get to opt out of funding DOT thru gasoline taxes. Next thing the gubment will need to tax by the mile. No thanks

loosen the rigid EPA bin system for small diesels please. Also, I wish more of our american autos would look at putting a 3.9 cummins in trucks and SUVs. They work well in the UPS/Fedex trucks.

Mmmm diesel...Those European pansies love their small deisels, but we can't get them over here. VW makes a car (rabbitt, golf?) that gets around 60 mpg on diesel that costs around 10K. Who wouldn't want that?

Sooner5030
2/15/2012, 01:58 PM
My F-350 is finally getting 9.1 mpg on $3.79 diesel fuel. **** yeah!

Seriously? I get that or better pulling a 12.5 k fifth wheel. I get about 13-14 in around town and 15-17 on the highway without the camper. I went with the 6.7 cummins though so I probably have a lot less horsepower and torque.

C&CDean
2/15/2012, 02:22 PM
Seriously? I get that or better pulling a 12.5 k fifth wheel. I get about 13-14 in around town and 15-17 on the highway without the camper. I went with the 6.7 cummins though so I probably have a lot less horsepower and torque.

Seriously. I do a lot of idling/pasture driving (under 10mph), and when I do go out on the road I'm usually pulling a 30' flatbed with a tractor of some sort on it. It damn sure sucks the fuel, but it goes anywhere I point it and it'll pull anything I put behind it.

sappstuf
2/15/2012, 02:38 PM

Nick, it is great to hear from you. I'm just killing time in Afghanistan for about 5 more months. Hopefully get back up to Oklahoma in the late summer and I am hoping to take the family to an OU home game this year. Hopefully we can meet up.

Take care

sappstuf
2/15/2012, 02:40 PM
Seriously. I do a lot of idling/pasture driving (under 10mph), and when I do go out on the road I'm usually pulling a 30' flatbed with a tractor of some sort on it. It damn sure sucks the fuel, but it goes anywhere I point it and it'll pull anything I put behind it.

Just like my wife! ;)

C&CDean
2/15/2012, 03:09 PM
Just like my wife! ;)

Does your wife have a "Super Duty" tramp stamp? Cause that would rock.

sappstuf
2/15/2012, 10:11 PM
Does your wife have a "Super Duty" tramp stamp? Cause that would rock.

We went with Power Stroke...

NickDangerThirdEye
2/16/2012, 12:14 AM
I am thinking about coming out to a game. Use to fly out twice a year but my uncle who got me tickets passed away so I quit going. I would love to meet you guys.

Come on down, DD. Would be my pleasure.

NickDangerThirdEye
2/16/2012, 12:18 AM
Nick, it is great to hear from you. I'm just killing time in Afghanistan for about 5 more months. Hopefully get back up to Oklahoma in the late summer and I am hoping to take the family to an OU home game this year. Hopefully we can meet up.

Take care

I knew you were heading out. Been wondering about you. Glad you are safe. Stay low. Then get back to your wife and kids. I'll buy you a beer, too. You and DD, two guys I respect with somewhat differing views, but both honorably served our country. I salute you both.

sappstuf
2/16/2012, 10:44 PM
http://terrellaftermath.com/Cartoon%20Archive/February%202012%20Archive/10KVoltRebate3WebCR-02_15_12.jpg

soonercruiser
2/16/2012, 11:44 PM
Keep dem' cartoons comin'.....!
:tennis: