PDA

View Full Version : Monday poll: C-USA and MWC merge

badger
2/13/2012, 06:24 PM
Good move or bad move?

I'm gonna limp into offseason polling with this outing. I'll try to do more Sooner centric polls in the future.

More info here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=236&articleid=20120213_236_0_Confer888200)

badger
2/13/2012, 06:26 PM
Schools included from C-USA would be East Carolina, Marshall, Rice, Southern Miss, Tulane, Tulsa, UAB, UTEP.

The Mountain West would be represented by Air Force, Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawaii (football only), Nevada, UNLV, New Mexico, Wyoming.

My personal opinion on this is that they are stronger together than they were apart. Both of their glory years are past or didn't happen, unfortunately.

C-USA's president was once saying they could challenge the Big East for a BCS auto berth (this was in the early aughts) and up till Big East poached them, they were one of the best basketball conferences in the country as a mid-major.

Mountain West was going to become a BCS auto qualifier if they could have held onto its members. Utah, BYU, TCU and Boise all in the same conference? The BCS would have to give them an auto berth eventually since they were getting one on their own many years. Alas, Utah went PAC-ing, BYU went indy, TCU came to the Big 12 and Boise is now an "East" school?! riiiiiight.

Fraggle145
2/13/2012, 06:46 PM
Where's the "Who gives a flying ****?" option?

8timechamps
2/13/2012, 07:54 PM
I think both the MWC and C-USA's hands are being forced. Small (mid-major) conferences are going to be left behind if they don't do something in an attempt to make themselves relevant. Good move on both parts.

PalmettoSooner
2/13/2012, 08:16 PM
I think both the MWC and C-USA's hands are being forced. Small (mid-major) conferences are going to be left behind if they don't do something in an attempt to make themselves relevant. Good move on both parts.

Agree. I think it was a good move for both conferences.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/13/2012, 09:32 PM
ON TULSA ON!

MeMyself&Me
2/13/2012, 10:25 PM
I couldn't vote cause there wasn't an irrelevant option.

StoopTroup
2/13/2012, 10:53 PM
ON TULSA ON!

Maybe now they can put in some seating so they can have 45,000 folks see a game. It's sad to see how they have changed the Stadium since I was a kid. That abortion in the North End Zone needs to be torn out and they need to put stands back in IMHO.

http://blog.chron.com/owls/files/2011/08/Tulsa1485.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/tuls/non-sport/school-bio/skelly-stadium-big.jpg

LVSOONER15
2/13/2012, 11:29 PM
Let's go Lobos!

Scott D
2/14/2012, 06:55 PM
Where is the "Get your asses in the FCS where you belong" option?

Pricetag
2/14/2012, 09:08 PM
Maybe now they can put in some seating so they can have 45,000 folks see a game. It's sad to see how they have changed the Stadium since I was a kid. That abortion in the North End Zone needs to be torn out and they need to put stands back in IMHO.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Those north end zone bleachers were crap--there were seats in there where you couldn't see past the goal line in that end. And the upper deck and old press box were a dump. Skelly is much nicer now, and perfect for TU, IMO.

Mississippi Sooner
2/14/2012, 09:26 PM
I'd be more optimistic if we hadn't already seen this before. Remember the 16 team WAC in the 90s, with a lot of these same teams? I can't help but think this new alliance will last about as long as that one did.