PDA

View Full Version : 53% of Liberal Democrats Support Keeping Gitmo Open

sappstuf
2/12/2012, 10:47 PM
And 67% of moderate Dems support keeping Gitmo open...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/poll-finds-broad-support-for-obamas-counterterrorism-policies/2012/02/07/gIQAFrSEyQ_story.html?hpid=z3

What about Gitmo being a recruiting tool for Al Qeada? What happened to "Gitmo is hurting our stance in the world"? I'm starting to think the entire "anti-war" movement was nothing but crass politics coming from the left.

I think some people owe Bush an apology or at least admit to rank hypocrisy.

Serge Ibaka
2/12/2012, 10:50 PM
100% of liberal democrats were not aborted by their mothers.

HYPOCRITS, AMIRITE?!

AlboSooner
2/12/2012, 11:08 PM
And 67% of moderate Dems support keeping Gitmo open...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/poll-finds-broad-support-for-obamas-counterterrorism-policies/2012/02/07/gIQAFrSEyQ_story.html?hpid=z3

What about Gitmo being a recruiting tool for Al Qeada? What happened to "Gitmo is hurting our stance in the world"? I'm starting to think the entire "anti-war" movement was nothing but crass politics coming from the left.

I think some people owe Bush an apology or at least admit to rank hypocrisy.

It's the old adage that we justify our own faults, and condemn others when they do wrong. It has long been proven that Obama has shown tremendous hypocrisy when dealing with old Bush policies. Senator Obama demonized Bush for the same things Obama has now embraced. Very few if anybody on the left questions the killings of innocent people under Obama's drone program, yet they hammered Bush. It's ok to be intolerant, as long as you are on the left, because no matter what you do, as long as you support abortion and gay marriage nobody can attach the intolerant and blood-thirsty moniker to you.

Just think about the absurdity of it all: Obama won a Nobel peace prize, partly because he promised to close Gitmo.

Sooner98
2/13/2012, 10:03 AM
Also, assassinating terrorists is now A-OK, but splashing water on the face of Khalid Shaik Mohammed to extract vital information to save thousands of American lives was maybe the single greatest crime or atrocity ever committed in the history of mankind.

badger
2/13/2012, 10:07 AM
They also spend one-seventh of their lives on Monday, just like conservative Republicans. :P

SoonerPride
2/13/2012, 10:25 AM
Guantanamo Bay should be closed.

It is reprehensible.

However, since Congress blocked all attempts to move any of the inmates to the mainland for trial, the administration's hands are tied.

sappstuf
2/13/2012, 10:34 AM
Also, assassinating terrorists is now A-OK, but splashing water on the face of Khalid Shaik Mohammed to extract vital information to save thousands of American lives was maybe the single greatest crime or atrocity ever committed in the history of mankind.

Don't forget assassinating American citizens as well...

KantoSooner
2/13/2012, 10:39 AM
I think Gitmo should be closed.
What should be done, instead, is to take one of the older Marine Amphibious landing ships and anchor it at an outlying atoll in the Johnston group. South Central Pacific Ocean. Far away from, well, anything.
Conduct what questioning you need to conduct and then a brief boat ride out to deeper water and a quick swimming lesson emcumbered by about 50lbs of chain around the ankles.

Small group to run the place, well paid and permanent classification.

Voila, situation solved.

SoonerPride
2/13/2012, 10:40 AM
Water boarding never yielded any credible intelligence. And it's a war crime. Torture is illegal. Bush & Cheney should stand trial at the Hague.

Killing OBL in his house is justified. The intelligence to find him wasn't garnered via water boarding, but sound police work and surveillance.

Holding US citizens without trial is unconstitutional. I don't care if you think they are "terrorists" or not. It is an outrage.

Sooner98
2/13/2012, 11:10 AM
In short, putting a bullet through someone's head = justified. Pouring water on someone's face = outrage.

Got it.

Sooner98
2/13/2012, 11:11 AM
Let me rephrase that:

Putting a bullet through someone's head (as long as the President has a (D) next to his name) = justified.

Pouring water on someone's face (as long as the President has an (R) next to his name) = outrage.

SoonerPride
2/13/2012, 11:13 AM
ok, sure.

XingTheRubicon
2/13/2012, 11:15 AM
Water boarding never yielded any credible intelligence. And it's a war crime. Torture is illegal. Bush & Cheney should stand trial at the Hague.

Killing OBL in his house is justified. The intelligence to find him wasn't garnered via water boarding, but sound police work and surveillance.

Holding US citizens without trial is unconstitutional. I don't care if you think they are "terrorists" or not. It is an outrage.

Your blend of unfettered confidence, naïveté and ignorance is pretty impressive.

SoonerPride
2/13/2012, 11:16 AM
Your blend of unfettered confidence, naïveté and ignorance is pretty impressive.

thanks?

XingTheRubicon
2/13/2012, 11:35 AM
You bet

soonercruiser
2/13/2012, 11:51 AM
100% of liberal democrats were not aborted by their mothers.

HYPOCRITS, AMIRITE?!

Really, are you an Amirite?
How old?
:tennis:

soonercruiser
2/13/2012, 11:55 AM
Even "53% of liberal Demoncrats" don't want the GITMO prisoners tried and jailed in their home cities!
No suprise here.

Sooner98
2/13/2012, 12:00 PM
ok, sure.

As long as we're on the same page, here. :tennis:

AlboSooner
2/13/2012, 10:27 PM
Water boarding never yielded any credible intelligence. .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/al-qaeda/8491509/Osama-bin-Laden-killed-CIA-admits-waterboarding-yielded-vital-information.html

hey, don't let the facts cloud your emotions.