PDA

View Full Version : * * * Official Sooners vs Red Radars Game * * *

StoopTroup
2/11/2012, 07:35 PM
Ok...the Women put down Mizzou....now it's time to put down the radars. :single_eye:

BOOMER SOONER ! ! !

StoopTroup
2/11/2012, 08:16 PM
Up by 5 B A B A Y ! ! !

StoopTroup
2/11/2012, 08:20 PM
That Adams kid can shoot....we should be taking advantage of his size in the lane while we are on offense.

Adam's headband really makes him look taller.

StoopTroup
2/11/2012, 08:35 PM
Fitz is hot tonight so far.

5:30 left in the 1st half

22 ou
18 TT radars.

TT really has some sad ads trying to get some kids to come to school out in the middle of nowhere....lol

StoopTroup
2/11/2012, 08:46 PM
Raiders up by 3...with 1:11 left in the 1st

Radars really have some possible foul trouble coming their way in the 2nd half.

StoopTroup
2/11/2012, 08:48 PM
HALF

OU 22

TT Radars 25

Boomer.....
2/11/2012, 09:06 PM
More shooting problems.

SoonerInFortSmith
2/11/2012, 09:22 PM
Too much standing around on offense.

kevpks
2/11/2012, 09:28 PM
A pathetic effort all around. I expect better from any OU team. I hope they pick it up and salvage this one.

Sooner95
2/11/2012, 09:29 PM
This is ridiculous...

SoonerInFortSmith
2/11/2012, 09:34 PM
35 points with 7 minutes to go. Really? How is that even possible?

SoonerObsession
2/11/2012, 09:37 PM
Can't bare to watch this anymore. I bet OU has a fraternity team that could out-shoot this team.

Sooner95
2/11/2012, 09:39 PM
Pokes beat this team , in Lubbock by 10 or so.. this is pathetic.

NIT? LMAO

SoonerInFortSmith
2/11/2012, 09:40 PM
What did I miss the last week or so? Why is Blair playing so much? And why is he shooting airball 3's?

Sooner95
2/11/2012, 09:40 PM
And before anyone flames me..I am and always have been super supportive....but bat****.. this is garbage. Freakin TT has not won a Conf game this year.

Garbage.

kevpks
2/11/2012, 09:43 PM
Huge step back. It is sad to see this team regress so much after some positive signs. This looks as bad or worse than what we threw out there last year.

Sooner95
2/11/2012, 09:44 PM
I have to agree. Lon has done a hell of a job this year..but crap man..no effort tonight against a crap *** team. GARBAGE.

SoonerInFortSmith
2/11/2012, 09:47 PM
Oh well. Sometimes you have to just chalk it up as a bad day and try to move on. That's life.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
2/11/2012, 09:54 PM
Yup! Some days are diamonds. Some days are rocks!

SoonerInFortSmith
2/11/2012, 10:02 PM
Yup! Some days are diamonds. Some days are rocks!

This one was more like a brick.

Eielson
2/11/2012, 10:12 PM
You guys are nuts if you can look at Lon and say job well done this year. I'd like to believe we got ourselves a good coach, but 13-11 (3-9 in conference) with a weak non-conference and a blowout loss at the hands of one of the worst Big XII teams ever is not impressive by ANY basketball program's standards from a major conference. You can't even call this season okay. Capel would've done much better.

badger
2/11/2012, 10:21 PM
I am not going to go so far to say that felton j would have done better, but the final score is disappointing no doubt. Thank gawd it was date nite with np and we were watching a crappy movie instead of this game.

I lost sooooo much vcash today on my beloved sooners... good thing its play money

Blue
2/11/2012, 10:43 PM
We need some players. Baaaad.

TopDog8025
2/11/2012, 10:51 PM
http://isportsweb.com/2012/02/11/oklahoma-basketball-sooners-embarrassed-at-tech/

StoopTroup
2/12/2012, 01:18 AM
You can't even call this season okay. Capel would've done much better.

Since it's the same players and different Coach and it's a new Coach that needs a year or two to recruit some depth on his Team....I'm not going to call you nuts. You are just still in love with the idea of Capel getting another Season with this crew. I don't think it matters. There's no way that Capel could have gotten Pladger or Fitz to do any better tonight by out Coaching Lon.

Lon is either just as bad a Coach as Capel or in need of putting together a Team of his own.

Calling for or implying Lon needs to be replaced in his 1st Season at OU is crazier than keeping Capel another year after seeing him decline with his own recruits.

It's sad. I was hoping we would have a better year than this but it looks like we'll have to wait and see what Lon can do between now and next Season. Our Bench is horrific and our Starters have great games and then fall flat in games we should win.

No way I'm going backwards and starting any Poor Jeff Campaign.

Eielson
2/12/2012, 02:53 AM
I'm not saying that Lon should be fired. That's idiotic. What I'm saying is that Capel could have easily done a coaching job equivalent to or better than this one, and everybody on here acted like he was the worst thing to ever happen to us. Kruger comes in and has proven ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and yet everybody is on here praising him for how great he is. It doesn't make sense.

This isn't about Capel. This is about acting like we have the greatest coach even though he hasn't done anything for us yet. Hopefully the key word is yet, but after losing in Stillwater, Lubbock, and College Station, he's more unproven now than he was the day we signed him. We all loved Capel in season one, and we know how that turned out. I'd even venture to say Capel did a better job.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
2/12/2012, 11:48 AM
There is no way Capel has this team where it is now. Capel is not even close to being able to coach like Kruger. With Capel the Sooners would be below .500. Imo.

Boomer.....
2/12/2012, 12:15 PM
^
I agree. Lon is a better coach than Capel who has been left with a team depleted of talent.

LiveLaughLove
2/12/2012, 02:04 PM
If San Diego is where the worst coach in America lived, and Jacksonville is where the best coach in America lived, Capel would live in Yuma, and Kruger would live in Mobile.

That is all.

Eielson
2/12/2012, 03:30 PM
You guys have different standards for our program I guess. I can't bring myself to classify this season as anything less than awful. I'm not saying Kruger is a bad coach, but he has proven nothing here. I'm utterly confused as to how you guys could think differently.

kbsooner21
2/12/2012, 04:58 PM
Is this the same Eielson that negged me last week for saying we needed better players? LMFAO

SoonerInFortSmith
2/12/2012, 11:23 PM
What I'm saying is that Capel could have easily done a coaching job equivalent to or better than this one...

... I'd even venture to say Capel did a better job.

Except for the fact that Capel had his shot, with more talented players I might add, and didn't do better. Do you not remember what the team was like the last 2 years?

Eielson
2/13/2012, 12:18 AM
This isn't about Capel, and since none of you seem to be able to defend your position of believing Kruger is doing a good job, then I'm probably about done here. I think Kruger could do great things for OU, but he hasn't. At least not yet. This season has been very disappointing, and thus far, has not been any improvement on last year despite having better players.

badger
2/13/2012, 10:27 AM
This isn't about Capel, and since none of you seem to be able to defend your position of believing Kruger is doing a good job, then I'm probably about done here. I think Kruger could do great things for OU, but he hasn't. At least not yet. This season has been very disappointing, and thus far, has not been any improvement on last year despite having better players.

All right, let's compare 2010-11's (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/okla-m-baskbl-sched-2010.html) season with 2011-12 (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/okla-m-baskbl-sched.html)'s so far. I think that would be a fair comparison. Let's stick with the conference games, since that's where we're at now and seems to be the point of disagreement:

2010-11 and 2011-12:
-Split games with Texas Tech.
- Lost at Stillwater
- Lost to Kansas and Mizzou
- Lost at Texas A&M

Only in 2010-11:
- Won at Iowa State
- Beat Baylor twice (at home and in Big 12 tourney)

Only in 2011-12:
-Beat Kansas State (twice, lost by 15 in only meeting last season)

To be determined:
- Texas comparison (lost three times, including the Big 12 tourney, last season)
- OSU at home (won by 3 last season)
- Texas A&M at home (won by 18 last season)
- At Iowa State (won by 6 in OT last season)

The biggest difference between last season and this season is that we have to play the tough north division teams twice now. Instead of writing off one loss against the likes of powerhouses KU and Miz, now we have to deal with them twice, let alone if we have to meet them in the tourney.

We had 5 conference wins last year (not including our Big 12 tourney miracle), and one of them was against a team we no longer play (Colorado). We had 11 conference losses last year (not including Big 12 tourney loss to UT), and one of them was also against an opponent we no longer play (Nebraska, a heartbreaking home loss by 1).

So far this year, we've had 9 conference losses and 3 conference wins. We have 6 regular season conference games left to make final judgment.

So, in conclusion, Kruger is doing a good job because:
1- We are on track to have more conference wins.
2- We have swept an opponent this season that last year we lost to by 15.
3- Our conference schedule is tougher this year due to more games with KU and Miz, but we are competitive in those games. I'm not talking final score, I'm talking that we aren't hopelessly outta the game by halftime.

In conclusion, I think this frustration is stemmed from the last that we lost to Tech by 18. Fair enough. It's the worst Big 12 team and we should be better than 18-point losers to them. But, let me toss an even larger number out there: 26.

We lost by 26 at Lubbock last year. 84-58. Unlike this loss, which we still have a month to recover from, that loss was early March, the second-to-last conference game of the season. Unlike this weekend's game, we never led last year's game (please correct me if I'm wrong), getting off to a 14-3 deficit early on. We were down by 20 at the half that game! It was never close, there was never any hope of victory... and that, in a nutshell, is the difference between last year and this year.

Kruger > Capel.

oudanny
2/13/2012, 10:33 AM
Kruger is a good coach but not a miracle worker. We desparately need some players. In 2 years if we are still losing to Tech then I will join your chorus.

badger
2/13/2012, 10:40 AM
Kruger is a good coach but not a miracle worker. We desparately need some players. In 2 years if we are still losing to Tech then I will join your chorus.

I wish to further debunk the "We lost to Texas Tech so Kruger sucks" rumor:

We lost to Tech TWICE in 2009-10.

kevpks
2/13/2012, 01:23 PM
Beat Texas.

NMSooner'80
2/13/2012, 02:18 PM
I want every coach at OU to succeed, but Capel lost me when he had three McDonald's All-Americans and won only 13 games total. And that was a team that started out in some preseason Top 10 polls.

nighttrain12
2/13/2012, 02:25 PM
Just as there are some that would argue John Blake deserved one more year, some will argue Jeff In-Capel-able deserved another year also. <sigh>

badger
2/13/2012, 03:14 PM
There are several major reasons why the coach I once whole heartedly supported and loved devolved into being referred to by his open records request legal name, "Felton J. the Third."

1- Hands off approach.
He was apparently emailing staff rather than talking directly to them when he was managing our program. Examples:

"As you know, this program is in a very bad place right now. We have made many mistakes in recruiting, and it showed its head this season in many ways. We have had so much turnover since we have been here that it left (us) in a position where we really did not have any upperclassmen. Now, we will lose many guys from this year's team, and recruiting is not going as I anticipated.

"Also, how our guys conduct themselves when they get here, our reputation on campus, and in the community has taken a severe hit...

"Joe (Castiglione) is very concerned with the state of the program right now. He talked to me for 25 minutes after the game in the Big 12 Tournament, and we met again last Friday. I am scheduled to meet with him again sometime before the Final Four."

another...

"We are 25-1, 11-0 in the conference and ranked #2 in the country. That's a long way from our first year here. For the life of me, I cannot understand why we are not able to enjoy it...

"At the beginning of the year, I assigned each of you guys (a player) to meet with and talk to. How many of you still do that? I asked that you meet with them somewhere away from the court. Perhaps you could cut this stuff, or get an idea of what is going on with some of these guys before the situation gets out of hand."

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110315_92_B1_CUTLIN869589)

It goes back even further than that to when he first arrived, his first big test as a big conference coach in trying to hold together the best recruiting class in the nation... does he fly down to meet the recruits in person? No, he lets Damion "Traitor" James prank him on the phone, actually talking to his cousin, not him, when he's begging him to keep his OU commitment. And then, where do the top recruits end up? At Texas and Villanova, two of our opponents that very coming season. Gaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh. We were going to release their letters of intent if they didn't want to be here, yes, but why in the eff would we release them to schools that are on our schedule?! WHY TO TEXAS?!?!

Finally, the lack of media stories about our team and our players I don't think was any sheer coincidence with who the coach was. When the media can't reach you, you aren't going to get stories written about your team. Here in Tulsa, I read some of the most awesome features about our women's team, the OSU teams, the TU teams, even the ORU teams. Hardly anything about OU's mens team under that standoffish, handoffish coach.

2- The NCAA violations.
In case you don't remember, here you go. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-ncaa-oklahoma) Blame the players for accepting stuff they shouldn't but it falls on the coach to monitor the players they recruit, they sign up for their program, they coach. I never want to go through NCAA crap at OU. I hate it when people label us as cheaters for reasons other than the Land Run. I don't want to be associated with breaking rules. At all.

3- Doing hardly anything with so much.
He made about $1.5 million annually by the time we fired him, and he made another $1.75 million to leave. (link here (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7214108/jeff-capel-got-175m-buyout-oklahoma-sooners)). So, the accountability to win (and win the right way), improve relations with fans and make us a premiere Big 12 program should already be high. But when you also have a top five recruiting budget in the nation (private schools excluded, no open records for those), you should have sky-high expectations (link to list here (http://www.cardchronicle.com/2011/3/25/2072515/louisville-recruiting-budget-ranks-among-top-10-nationally-1-in-big)).

Below are recruiting expenditures**, ranked from highest to lowest, for public schools in the Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, Southeastern Conference, Atlantic Coast Conference and Pac-10.

1. Kentucky -- $434,095

2. Kansas -- $419,228

3. Florida -- $326,306

4. Arkansas -- $322,517

5. Oklahoma -- $316,755

6. Louisville -- $263,391

7. Iowa State -- $254,584

8. West Virginia -- $223,632

9. Auburn -- $222,128

10. Arizona -- $215,246

11. Alabama -- $209,218

12. Virginia Tech -- $197,269

13. Illinois -- $187,157

14. Georgia -- $186,906

15. Michigan -- $186,732

16. Clemson -- $180,621

17. Minnesota -- $176,677

18. Connecticut -- $175,740

19. Arizona State -- $174,682

20. Virginia -- $173,884

21. Texas -- $164,935

22. Missouri -- $163,800

23. Kansas State -- $161,567

24. Oregon State -- $159,763

25. Nebraska -- $159,166

26. Ohio State -- $152,981

27. Cincinnati -- $151,341

28. Georgia Tech -- $149,516

29. South Florida -- $148,778

30. Indiana -- $143,287

31. UCLA -- $141,824

32. Texas A&M -- $138,584

33. South Carolina -- $132,758

34. Texas Tech -- $132,268

35. Washington State -- $131,193

36. California -- $126,678

37. Tennessee -- $122,675

38. Colorado -- $121,759

39. Oregon -- $119,152

40. Oklahoma State -- $117,364

41. Washington -- $113,421

42. Michigan State -- $108,478

43. Louisiana State -- $107,164

44. Maryland -- $100,551

45. North Carolina -- $98,517

46. Purdue -- $97,123

47. Florida State -- $93,119

48. Mississippi -- $90,935

49. North Carolina State -- $87,613

50. Mississippi State -- $79,285

51. Iowa -- $76,547

52. Rutgers -- $74,902

53. Wisconsin -- $57,397

All in all, we gave Felton J. every chance in the world to succeed, from a big salary, to a big recruiting budget, to the venues and conference to be a big time program in college basketball. And what came from it, other than Taylor recruiting his little brother Blake to come to OU? NCAA violations. Losing seasons. Declining attendance and fan interest.

Even if you don't like the record our team currently has, at least Lon is getting himself out in the community and earning his big paycheck in other ways. The program is one I can be proud of again, because I don't feel nervous about the NCAA breathing down our neck, we are fighting hard even against top five opponents at home and on the road, and there's that connection with the fanbase again that wasn't there the past few years.

Hopefully, this is the last time I ever have to bring up this info ever again... but I will readily do it any time anyone merely suggests that we should return to Egypt instead of crossing the Red Sea. :mad:

OU_Sooners75
2/13/2012, 04:31 PM
You guys are nuts if you can look at Lon and say job well done this year. I'd like to believe we got ourselves a good coach, but 13-11 (3-9 in conference) with a weak non-conference and a blowout loss at the hands of one of the worst Big XII teams ever is not impressive by ANY basketball program's standards from a major conference. You can't even call this season okay. Capel would've done much better.

How many of our starters would start at the top teir teams in the Big 12?
How many of our rotating bench players would play much at the top tier teams in the Big 12?

Our roster is filled with a bunch of guys that are very happy, yet not talented enough, to be at OU!

We have a good coach. We lack talented depth and depth in general.

All you have to do is look at what Lon Kruger has done in his career to understand we got ourselves a good coach. Not to mention the top 2 or 3 guys he has coming in next year are top 200 players!

I suppose Capel could have done what Kruger has done this year....oh wait, he couldn't control his team, nor could he do more with more!

badger
2/13/2012, 06:16 PM
I love to win, but being a Sooner should be about more than winning. Why can't it be good enough some of the time to do your best and come up short, even if it means another year without a trip to the NCAAs?

Sorry if that sounded to touchie feelie. How bout this? YOU UNAPPRECIATIVE BASTARDS! WINNING AT ALL COSTS IS ASKING FOR NCAA RULES VIOLATIONS!

Blue
2/13/2012, 07:08 PM
I love to win, but being a Sooner should be about more than winning. Why can't it be good enough some of the time to do your best and come up short, even if it means another year without a trip to the NCAAs?

Uhh no. The goal should be winning games, making tourneys and winning championships. This isn't the local JV team. Its DIVISION 1 and the BIG 12 Brutha!

birddog
2/13/2012, 07:44 PM
I'm not saying that Lon should be fired. That's idiotic. What I'm saying is that Capel could have easily done a coaching job equivalent to or better than this one, and everybody on here acted like he was the worst thing to ever happen to us. Kruger comes in and has proven ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and yet everybody is on here praising him for how great he is. It doesn't make sense.

This isn't about Capel. This is about acting like we have the greatest coach even though he hasn't done anything for us yet. Hopefully the key word is yet, but after losing in Stillwater, Lubbock, and College Station, he's more unproven now than he was the day we signed him. We all loved Capel in season one, and we know how that turned out. I'd even venture to say Capel did a better job.

kinda hard to lay any of this on lon. i'm willing to believe that with his experience and resume, we'll get the players we need to take er up a notch and be more competitive. i think he's done a great job with these guys instilling discipline and toughness(hafta when you don't have talent) and if you want to just look at wins and losses that's up to you. i just think you should look at how the overall program has made an upgrade from the last few years. has not been a great season but an important one for lon to lay down a foundation that gives us an identity.

8timechamps
2/13/2012, 07:57 PM

Sorry if that sounded to touchie feelie. How bout this? YOU UNAPPRECIATIVE BASTARDS! WINNING AT ALL COSTS IS ASKING FOR NCAA RULES VIOLATIONS!

This year, I think the focus is on development. The Sooners have already played better (looking at the entire season) than I expected. Winning on the road in college basketball is a tough proposition anyway. The Tech loss was a letdown only because we played pretty poorly against the worst team in the conference. Overall however, I applaud what Lon has done and I do think he has the program in the right direction.

8timechamps
2/13/2012, 08:01 PM
How many of our starters would start at the top teir teams in the Big 12?
How many of our rotating bench players would play much at the top tier teams in the Big 12?

Our roster is filled with a bunch of guys that are very happy, yet not talented enough, to be at OU!

We have a good coach. We lack talented depth and depth in general.

All you have to do is look at what Lon Kruger has done in his career to understand we got ourselves a good coach. Not to mention the top 2 or 3 guys he has coming in next year are top 200 players!

I suppose Capel could have done what Kruger has done this year....oh wait, he couldn't control his team, nor could he do more with more!

Exactly. Before people start stringing Kruger up, lets remember what he inherited. The fact that we're over .500 is a shock to me. In my eyes, Lon has already proven that he can turn this thing around, but it won't be overnight. We have one player that would probably start at any other Big XII school. I'd say Kruger is doing an excellent job with what he has to work with.

StoopTroup
2/13/2012, 08:32 PM
I think Eilson just got emotional.

It will be OK.