PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 Tourney, Times 10

Sooner95
2/11/2012, 04:22 PM
I was just curious, as I hadn't seen anything offical in regards to the tournament layout, that it will follow the standard 10 team layout?

As in the following..

Seeds 1 thru 6 get first round (Weds) byes.

Remaining seeds play..

7 vs 10

8 vs 9

Then on Thurs, 7 vs 10 winner plays #2 AND 8 vs 9 winner plays #1. The remaining matchups goes as always, 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5.

Semis on Friday, Finals on Saturday.

Thoughts? anyone heard of something different?

Thanks

Sooner95
2/11/2012, 04:24 PM
geez, nevermind. I just found it..lol

http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410/championships/pdfs/2012_mbasketball_bracket.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=10410

GoState
2/13/2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks for posting that. At least with only 10 teams, there isn't a need to start at 11:30am on the first day like they've done for several years. We go to the Big 12 basketball tournament every year (and to the Big 8 before that). Those early games on the first day were brutal after starting the drive at 5-6am. The sad part is that we'll both be playing on that first day.

Checkout the Big 12 tournament bracket generator HERE (http://bball.notnothing.net/big12.php?sport=mbb). You guess how the rest of the regular season plays out, then it spits out the bracket based on those predictions. My guesses put OSU at #7, playing #10 Tech, and OU at #8, playing #9 A&M. I think we can both win our first round games, but then MU and KU await. Good times. Fun times.

badger
2/13/2012, 12:49 PM
I wish that they'd host it here in Tulsa, but our city really didn't prove ourselves worthy when we hosted the C-USA tourney. Our NCAA first/second round showing was pretty good though.

Maybe OKC can get a monopoly on it now that the state is hosting it now defected to the S-E-C! S-E-C!

Seriously, eff KC unless KSU, KU, ISU and any other Big 12ers are adamant that they want KC to continue being in the rotation.

GoState
2/13/2012, 01:17 PM
I agree, Badger. I'm tired of it being in KC the majority of the time.

Part of the problem is the Big 12 mandated that both the men's and women's tournaments must be in the same city at the same time. That really restricts the placement, as many cities don't have two good venues to house two tournaments.

Dallas did when Reunion Arena was still standing. Now they're out. OKC has two venues (Chesapeake and Cox), but I'm not sure why it hasn't come back here. I thought OKC did a great job when we had the tournament here in '09.

The good news is that the Big 12 is lifting that restriction. I have mixed feelings, as we usually attend one of our girl's games during the tournament. But this will allow the men's tournament to move around a bit more.

What was wrong with the C-USA tournament in Tulsa? Was it just a case of low attendance numbers?

kbsooner21
2/13/2012, 01:33 PM
Big 12 tourneys at Kemper were always good times

badger
2/13/2012, 02:14 PM
What was wrong with the C-USA tournament in Tulsa? Was it just a case of low attendance numbers?

The attendance was so low at the womens tourney (hosted at ORU's Mabee Center) that they made the tickets free for all after the first day.

The mens side was at the BOK Center, which had good attendance for Memphis (alas, they were ousted early) and Tulsa (duh), but the rest of the teams traveled very poorly and we didn't have a lot of local fans buying all-session tickets (Spend $125 for the good of the city! Yeah, that didn't go over well...). Some of the schools even hired high school pep bands to play at the games for their teams, which I don't think would happen with the Big 12.

We have two good venues that could host the tourney in downtown Tulsa, the BOK Center and the convention center nearby. They are within a few blocks of each other, so schools that have joint pep bands (like Texas used to, they might still) could travel easily between the two, as could their fanbases that want to see both teams... and quite frankly, if you travel the conference tourney, why wouldn't you want to?

allanace16
2/14/2012, 02:44 AM
In regards to tourney placement, I think OKC's (and Dallas's problem before Reunion was torn down) is that the Big 12 would have to work with (and by with, I mean around) the city's NBA team. KC doesn't have that issue (neither does Tulsa, but I feel Mizzou's exit hurts Tulsa as much as it does KC, since one of the closer schools to there is removed now). That kind of thing usually has to be put in place pretty far in advance, so if the Big 12 really does want to move out of KC with Mizzou's exit, I hope they're working on it now. I don't see the conference changing what they've already set though for those reasons. Maybe it comes back to OKC after. I just wish it was quicker to get to KC from OKC. Shave 2 hours off and I'd go up there far more often.