http://youtu.be/avLKiWi71cE

soonercruiser
2/10/2012, 10:03 PM
LOL!
Love it!
:playful:

AlboSooner
2/10/2012, 10:25 PM
I want someone from the Republican side to explain to me the collective resistance to green energies, and this infatuation with hydrocarbon based fuels. Even if we drill in the US, there is a finite amount of oil in the soil and around the world. There is a number, X, and since I wrote that there is less than X total amount of oil in the world. We're getting closer and closer to X = 0.

I said in the other thread that Obama doesn't deserve to re-elected, but I don't rejoice seeing GM fail, or their cars perform poorly.

LiveLaughLove
2/10/2012, 10:48 PM
I'm not opposed to "green energy". I am opposed to my tax dollars being blown on "green energy".

If the market can bear it, then great. Seems there are enough tree huggers out there that would want to buy this stuff, and pay for the technology.

If not, then I guess they really aren't that concerned about it.

On a side note, the Volt is a lemon and a huge waste of our money. Yet somehow, the Dems seem to think they have been victorious with it.

As for GM, I really did't care for them before the bail out and care far less after. I don't like their vehicles overall, and don't buy them.

Sooner5030
2/10/2012, 10:54 PM
I want someone from the Republican side to explain to me the collective resistance to green energies, and this infatuation with hydrocarbon based fuels. Even if we drill in the US, there is a finite amount of oil in the soil and around the world. There is a number, X, and since I wrote that there is less than X total amount of oil in the world. We're getting closer and closer to X = 0.

I said in the other thread that Obama doesn't deserve to re-elected, but I don't rejoice seeing GM fail, or their cars perform poorly.

I love green energy....especially micro-green energy. I am a right-wing-libertarian-micro environmentalist. I do not like subsidized anything. GM and the auto industry need to cleanse themselves of bad practices. Instead we just gave them a restart with less debt to service. It will take 15-30 years but they will be in the same situation again.

okie52
2/11/2012, 08:03 AM

Collective opposition to green energy? I certainly support R & D for green energy alternatives. I hope they do become successful even though it might put me out of a job. In fact, I think most repub candidates embrace using all energy sources. I would point out that it is Obama and many dems that have tried to punish hydrocarbons while offering no viable alternative in their place.

Right now we are much closer to green energy=0 than with hydrocarbons. Obama even stated that we have enough ng to last 100 years but he has done very little to support or implement its use. He sought to punish it under cap and trade while rewarding ethanol. He has done nothing so far to move our transportation to ng which is far cleaner than oil or coal or even ethanol for that matter. And, until his most recent election year flip flops, he had shut down the coasts to exploration.

Energy independence should have been obama's goal all along but he certainly hasn't pursued it even with all of the benefits the US would derive from it. Increased tax revenues, royalties and lease bonus money for the government, thousands of high paying jobs, a foreign policy not based on ME oil, and cutting our trade deficit by over half. And, using ng would be the quickest and most cost effective way to reduce CO2...if that was really ever a goal of obama.

pphilfran
2/11/2012, 11:58 AM
To be fair, the Volt was on the drawing board far before Obama took office...

pphilfran
2/11/2012, 12:04 PM
He is not concerned about energy independence...he is concerned about CO2...

Solar does nothing to help energy independence
Wind does nothing to help energy independence
Nukes do nothing to help energy independence
Ethanol might break even or even show a small benefit to becoming energy independent

Banning the XL pipeline does nothing to help energy independence
Not allowing additional drilling in the Gulf does nothing to help energy independence
Pulling subsidies does nothing to help energy independence (though they might not be needed at current crude levels)
Windfall profit tax does nothing to help energy independence
Giving lip service to NG does nothing to help energy independence...why no mention from DC about Chesapeake investing a billion dollars over 10 years to put in NG vehicle service?

sappstuf
2/11/2012, 12:05 PM
To be fair, the Volt was on the drawing board far before Obama took office...

That is just proof that GM should have been allowed to go under... ;)

pphilfran
2/11/2012, 12:08 PM
That is just proof that GM should have been allowed to go under... ;)

they did go under...ask the bondholders...ask the shareholders...

Though the union made out like a bandit...

AlboSooner
2/11/2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks for your replies. My views align with Okie52, use NG now to pave the way for green energies. The beautiful thing is, our state could be more dominant in the area of energy, hydrocarbon or green.

I do think that the majority of Republicans see green energies as tree-huger stuff, rather than a viable solution for the future. Once you use terms like tree-huger you place a negative connotation to these green technologies.

sappstuf
2/11/2012, 12:18 PM
they did go under...ask the bondholders...ask the shareholders...

Though the union made out like a bandit...

Well they sold 600 Volts in January.. Assuming they are profiting 10 million per car, it looks like I was wrong.

pphilfran
2/11/2012, 12:43 PM
Well they sold 600 Volts in January.. Assuming they are profiting 10 million per car, it looks like I was wrong.

Business is booming!

Double what they sold last Jan..

Let's project this out...
Jan 2013 - 1200
2014 - 2400
2015 - 4800
2016 - 9600
2017 - 19,200
2018 - 38,400
2019 - 76,800
2020 - 153,600

100k a year by 2020!!!

I gotta hand it to ya...you were much closer to guessing future sales than I....

sappstuf
2/11/2012, 12:54 PM
Business is booming!

Double what they sold last Jan..

Let's project this out...
Jan 2013 - 1200
2014 - 2400
2015 - 4800
2016 - 9600
2017 - 19,200
2018 - 38,400
2019 - 76,800
2020 - 153,600

100k a year by 2020!!!

I gotta hand it to ya...you were much closer to guessing future sales than I....

Lucky guess. GM initially projected that they would sell 45K this year.. Only 44,400 to go! I think they have since said that "production will meet demand".. I'm going to assume that means much closer to 4500 than 450K.

What I would really be interested to find out is how many of the Volts that have sold have been bought by city, state, or federal governments versus how many have been bought by your average citizen. As bad as the sales are, I think they might be artificially inflated somewhat.

StoopTroup
2/11/2012, 10:46 PM
Get right down to whether Electric is a viable option. Batteries and the raw materials to make them are just as limited as fossil fuel.

Turkey is building a dam bigger than Hoover and it's part of a series of dams that will hopefully put an end to their dependence on foreign oil. The US isn't the only Country trying to develop solutions to our future energy needs.

I don't really understand the outrage of the Government putting funds into things that might give us an answer to which ways we should develop. If I could spend a billion to find out we shouldn't spend a trillion on something....it's going to happen sometimes.

I'd rather we spend $20 on it to find out we shouldn't spend a trillion on it but evidently many politicians preyed on the fact that Green Lobbyists would pour huge amounts of dough into their campaigns if they signed on. That's not the fault of an administration...That's the fault of our campaign and lobbying laws.

We have plenty of sin taxes and laws that don't benefit the poor or the Middle Class. The rich....they shouldn't be made to suffer luxury taxes anymore than a poor guy should be made to pay liability on two cars when a rich guy can self-insure or avoid paying anything on the fleet of 20 cars they own.

The inequities we have right now should shock everyone and it's about time we all begin to discover ways to deal with it in a much different way.

champions77
2/12/2012, 08:20 PM
I'm not opposed to "green energy". I am opposed to my tax dollars being blown on "green energy".

If the market can bear it, then great. Seems there are enough tree huggers out there that would want to buy this stuff, and pay for the technology.

If not, then I guess they really aren't that concerned about it.

On a side note, the Volt is a lemon and a huge waste of our money. Yet somehow, the Dems seem to think they have been victorious with it.

As for GM, I really did't care for them before the bail out and care far less after. I don't like their vehicles overall, and don't buy them.

+1 I'm amazed that people still but their crap. There is a reason they were heading towards bankruptcy. And the fact the feds give what, a $7,000 tax credit for this overpriced, terribly engineered POS, because no one would buy them without it?

The markets dictates what is good and bad. If the feds have to prop it up with tax rebates, then it's probably crap.

How stupid are we as a country? We are getting exactly what we deserve.

sappstuf
3/2/2012, 10:08 PM
Uh oh...

GM to suspend production of Chevrolet Volt

General Motors is suspending production of its Chevrolet Volt electric car for five weeks in hopes of reducing inventory to meet lower-than-expected demand.

A GM spokesman said Friday that the company will shut down production of the Volt from March 19 until April 23.

Spokesman Chris Lee says the auto maker is trying to maintain proper inventory while matching production to demand.

Chevrolet sold 1,023 Volts last month. It sold 7,671 last year, below its original goal of 10,000 cars.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57389718/gm-to-suspend-production-of-chevrolet-volt/?tag=mncol;lst;1

Hmm.. I take "matching production to demand" means that no one wants one.

diverdog
3/2/2012, 10:17 PM
Collective opposition to green energy? I certainly support R & D for green energy alternatives. I hope they do become successful even though it might put me out of a job. In fact, I think most repub candidates embrace using all energy sources. I would point out that it is Obama and many dems that have tried to punish hydrocarbons while offering no viable alternative in their place.

Right now we are much closer to green energy=0 than with hydrocarbons. Obama even stated that we have enough ng to last 100 years but he has done very little to support or implement its use. He sought to punish it under cap and trade while rewarding ethanol. He has done nothing so far to move our transportation to ng which is far cleaner than oil or coal or even ethanol for that matter. And, until his most recent election year flip flops, he had shut down the coasts to exploration.

Energy independence should have been obama's goal all along but he certainly hasn't pursued it even with all of the benefits the US would derive from it. Increased tax revenues, royalties and lease bonus money for the government, thousands of high paying jobs, a foreign policy not based on ME oil, and cutting our trade deficit by over half. And, using ng would be the quickest and most cost effective way to reduce CO2...if that was really ever a goal of obama.

Okie:

To be fair we are comparing a mature industry that thrived because of massive federal support to an industry that is really still in its infancy. If we do not fund green energy then China will eat our lunch. Green industry is the next big boom.

I agree with continued resource extraction but we need to fund billions to get this to work.

hawaii 5-0
3/2/2012, 10:43 PM
This whole 'Green Thing' is where Conservatives and conservatism part ways.

Conservatives wanna drive their big F150 gas guzzlers and still complain about the price of gas meanwhile bad-mouthing anything that smacks of actually using less. A real dichotomy.

Rape the Planet - - that's their mantra.

5-0

sappstuf
3/2/2012, 11:23 PM

Conservatives wanna drive their big F150 gas guzzlers and still complain about the price of gas meanwhile bad-mouthing anything that smacks of actually using less. A real dichotomy.

5-0

That is exactly it. You hit the nail on the head.

Tell me something.. The lithium-ion batteries in the Volt, are they made from unicorn horns and pixie dust or are they raped out of mother earth?

diverdog
3/2/2012, 11:27 PM
That is exactly it. You hit the nail on the head.

Tell me something.. The lithium-ion batteries in the Volt, are they made from unicorn horns and pixie dust or are they raped out of mother earth?

The batteries are worse in the long run. I would rather have more fuel efficient cars or ones that run on biodesiel.

hawaii 5-0
3/2/2012, 11:33 PM
I like the lithium batteries in my GPSr. They last a long time.
5-0

sappstuf
3/3/2012, 12:10 AM
The batteries are worse in the long run. I would rather have more fuel efficient cars or ones that run on biodesiel.

Exactly. The Chevy Cruze costs $16K and gets 42mpg and is probably better for the environment in the long run than the Volt. It also doesn't cost the taxpayers $7500 each in direct subsidies.

The average buyer for the Cruze also doesn't make $176K like the Volt, so I guess than means it isn't cool.... And in the end, being "cool" is better than actually doing anything for the environment apparently...

LiveLaughLove
3/3/2012, 12:10 AM
http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/02/gm-is-halting-chevy-volt-production-for-now/

The Volt is at least temporarily going bye bye.

Bye bye...tax dollars.

LiveLaughLove
3/3/2012, 12:11 AM
http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/02/gm-is-halting-chevy-volt-production-for-now/

The Volt is at least temporarily going bye bye.

Bye bye...tax dollars.

badger
3/3/2012, 09:26 AM
1. Make Chevy Volt.
2. Chevy Volt catches fire.
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!!!!!!

REDREX
3/3/2012, 09:30 AM
GM shuts down Volt production----- SHOCKING---- http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401117,00.asp

pphilfran
3/3/2012, 11:13 AM
Having to shut down production is a bad thing...there are a whole bunch of model specific suppliers that will be taking it in the shorts...

A ton of money is spent to get the parts certified and the processes up and running...they were already in the red due to slow sales and now this short term shutdown is going to be like a kick in the nutz...

The good news is that higher gas prices this summer should move some shoppers over to more efficient vehicles and the Volt should pick up a couple of hundred sales... :)

sappstuf
3/3/2012, 11:59 AM
Having to shut down production is a bad thing...there are a whole bunch of model specific suppliers that will be taking it in the shorts...

A ton of money is spent to get the parts certified and the processes up and running...they were already in the red due to slow sales and now this short term shutdown is going to be like a kick in the nutz...

The good news is that higher gas prices this summer should move some shoppers over to more efficient vehicles and the Volt should pick up a couple of hundred sales... :)

You are an eternal optimist... :)

cleller
3/3/2012, 12:36 PM
Nukes and Natural gas are the only CURRENT technologies (as in right now-today) that can feasibly supply our energy needs and limit carbon emissions. Nobody wants to come out and support it, though.

okie52
3/3/2012, 03:40 PM

5-0

The Obama plan:

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/okie54/flintstones-car.jpg

soonercruiser
3/4/2012, 10:55 PM
Call it like it is!

The Volt didn't sell!
GM "Pulled the Plug"!

LiveLaughLove
3/6/2012, 10:51 AM
Well, the people our Dem leaders want to immulate, those illustrious Euoropeans are just so far ahead of us in thinking.

Chevy Volt named European Car of the Year!

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/03/05/chevy-volt-problems

Is it any wonder the muslim's are taking these idiots over?

StoopTroup
3/6/2012, 11:27 AM
Well, the people our Dem leaders want to immulate, those illustrious Euoropeans are just so far ahead of us in thinking.

Or it could be the numbers of Muslims that are amassing. There are 1.3 Billion Chinese now. Yet we sit here aborting our children and listening to the same politician say that Birth Control is bad but Welfare and free lunches are a plague. We need more children and only the smart GOPs should breed? The rest should have their children and then put them on a bus to Rick Santorum's neighborhood.

soonercruiser
3/6/2012, 12:35 PM
Or it could be the numbers of Muslims that are amassing. There are 1.3 Billion Chinese now. Yet we sit here aborting our children and listening to the same politician say that Birth Control is bad but Welfare and free lunches are a plague. We need more children and only the smart GOPs should breed? The rest should have their children and then put them on a bus to Rick Santorum's neighborhood.

You see, that IS the current problem.
The left is breeding like rats; and they want everyone else to support their children!
And now even the female law students at Georgetown want me to pay for their birth control and recreation!
If I'm gonna pay, I want "a piece" of the action!
:playful:

sappstuf
3/6/2012, 12:45 PM

To be fair, the Volt was named the North American Fire... errr.. Car of the Year as well. Not that it helped sales any...