PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Schedule

8timechamps
2/9/2012, 08:42 PM
Word is that it's going to be released (at least the Big XII portion) tomorrow:

LINK (http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2012/02/09/texas-tech-ad-expect-big-12-schedule-on-friday/)

LVSOONER15
2/9/2012, 09:13 PM
Looking forward to that.

StoopTroup
2/9/2012, 11:28 PM
That's just awful that the Austin City Limits Schedule might be affected. I hate to see them screw that up for the Whorns. LMAO.

colleyvillesooner
2/10/2012, 11:47 AM
Travis is now hearing from two people that those reports from the TTU admin may have been premature, that the schedule is "close" but might not be released today.

badger
2/10/2012, 12:36 PM
Spoiler alert: We play every other Big 12 team, including TCU and West Virginia, but not Texas A&M or Missouri, who are now in the SEC.

LVSOONER15
2/10/2012, 12:45 PM
Spoiler alert: We play every other Big 12 team, including TCU and West Virginia, but not Texas A&M or Missouri, who are now in the SEC.

Damn, who would of thought. Thanks Badger

Soonerboy1
2/10/2012, 12:56 PM
OU/TX is scheduled for October 6. Norman Public Schools revised their 2012-2013 school calendar to move fall break to October 4-5 at their February 6 board meeting. It was originally scheduled for Oct 11-12.

Here is the text of the message NPS posted on Facebook:
The Board of Education approved a revised calendar for the 2012-13 school year. Fall Break will now be held Oct. 4-5 and a district professional day will be held Oct. 3, so students will not attend classes on that day either. These revisions were made to be consistent with the district's tradition of holding Fall Break the week of the OU-Texas football game (which the Big 12 has decided to move up a week), and to allow district staff to attend the Oklahoma Technology Association's EncycloMedia conference on Oct. 3. A new PDF calendar soon will be posted and you heard about it all here first, on Facebook! So, tell others they should 'Like' us, too!

Widescreen
2/10/2012, 01:35 PM
Fall break? We didn't get no stinking fall break when I was in school. In fact, they made us go to school on the weekends out of spite.

Now get off my lawn.

badger
2/10/2012, 01:38 PM
Fall break? We didn't get no stinking fall break when I was in school. In fact, they made us go to school on the weekends out of spite.

Now get off my lawn.

Your lawn goes uphill both ways and is always covered in snow.

LVSOONER15
2/10/2012, 01:47 PM

Thats one helluva lawn.

KantoSooner
2/10/2012, 01:52 PM
A friend of mine was 15 before he realized that his dad's tales of walking through the snow to school made little sense.

His dad grew up in Santa Monica.

My buddy was not too bright. Good guitar player, though.

cccasooner2
2/10/2012, 01:57 PM

Did ya twitter that?

colleyvillesooner
2/10/2012, 02:20 PM
OU/TX is scheduled for October 6. Norman Public Schools revised their 2012-2013 school calendar to move fall break to October 4-5 at their February 6 board meeting. It was originally scheduled for Oct 11-12.

Here is the text of the message NPS posted on Facebook:
The Board of Education approved a revised calendar for the 2012-13 school year. Fall Break will now be held Oct. 4-5 and a district professional day will be held Oct. 3, so students will not attend classes on that day either. These revisions were made to be consistent with the district's tradition of holding Fall Break the week of the OU-Texas football game (which the Big 12 has decided to move up a week), and to allow district staff to attend the Oklahoma Technology Association's EncycloMedia conference on Oct. 3. A new PDF calendar soon will be posted and you heard about it all here first, on Facebook! So, tell others they should 'Like' us, too!

I don't understand this. The game is usually scheduled for the first week in October, the 6th (Depending on when the season starts, but this year it was the 6th) This is saying it was on the 13th, and is moving to the 6th.

badger
2/10/2012, 02:57 PM
Did ya twitter that?

Nah, I'll leave that to david. Eff twitter. I have a page but haven't posted one tweet on it.

BigTip
2/10/2012, 03:25 PM

Now get off my lawn.

You have a lawn? Luxury! When I was a kid we didn't have a lawn. We would wake up at 5am to NOT mow the lawn.

(apologies to Monty Python)

HToady
2/10/2012, 03:37 PM
A friend of mine was 15 before he realized that his dad's tales of walking through the snow to school made little sense.

My dad and mom gave me the same story (1920s). Turns out my dads school was right across the street from their apartment in the Bronx! My mom however was a true story...dirt poor sharecropers. Where did she grow up? a few miles east of Tishamingo!

SoonerNomad
2/10/2012, 05:55 PM
I don't understand this. The game is usually scheduled for the first week in October, the 6th (Depending on when the season starts, but this year it was the 6th) This is saying it was on the 13th, and is moving to the 6th.

I know the game was on October 13th in 1984. That was the rainy Oklahoma win that some people still call a tie because the ref didn't see OU intercept the ball and slide five yards in a wet endzone and then allowed Texas to kick a controversial FG, which I still don't count. It was also the day I asked my now ex-wife to marry me. Like I said, both I and the refs were blinded by the rain.

colleyvillesooner
2/10/2012, 05:55 PM
Dennis Dodd is hearing our 1st game will be UTEP...@ UTEP.

holy **** that's awful.

cvsooner
2/10/2012, 07:25 PM
For some of us, at UTEP might be a good thing, you know? Just sayin'...

Hey, Landry can have friends from Artesia come down and see him.

BoulderSooner79
2/10/2012, 07:27 PM
Dennis Dodd is hearing our 1st game will be UTEP...@ UTEP.

holy **** that's awful.

Grow a pair - we can take them if we bring our A game !

:D

papawlambert
2/10/2012, 07:53 PM
Your real worry will be the Cartel in El Paso.

StoopTroup
2/10/2012, 08:48 PM
Your real worry will be the Cartel in El Paso.

I took the Family to the Sun Bowl when we played Stanford. Even the Manager of the Hotel we stayed at asked me about Sooners who were going on Sports Radio talking about how it wasn't safe to go to El Paso....blah blah blah.

I told him the same thing I'll say right now....

If you live your life scared of everything....you won't get to enjoy many of the things in life that if you just use your good sense...you will realize there are quite a few people who live in El Paso everyday and somehow they live to tell about it.

I did talk with some Locals there and they recommend to stay on this side of the Border but that they are just as upset about the Cartel spilling over into their Town as you would be concerned about going down there.

My take is....if you enjoy Sooner Football....you'll go down there and have some fun.

We even went out for Dinner after the game. Of course...we were playing Stanford and not UTEP. If Bob and the Team lay 80 points and a shutout on them....I might get in the car and head out of town ASAP. :D

LASooner
2/10/2012, 10:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/30124/the-big-easts-scheduling-headache

I think all this crying about scheduling is BS. So there's all these teams, in different conferences, complaining about having non-conference holes to fill.... do I really need to complete this thought?

If Pittsburgh and A&M need to play someone.... fricken, play each other! What nobody is really willing to say, "We can't find some mid major with slight name recognition and no real shot at beating us, to come play at our house where we keep all the gate receipts."

If OU is playing UTEP, @UTEP that's a school who is trying to fill their schedule and not whine about it

(http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/30124/the-big-easts-scheduling-headache)

StoopTroup
2/10/2012, 10:39 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/30124/the-big-easts-scheduling-headache

I think all this crying about scheduling is BS. So there's all these teams, in different conferences, complaining about having non-conference holes to fill.... do I really need to complete this thought?

If Pittsburgh and A&M need to play someone.... fricken, play each other! What nobody is really willing to say, "We can't find some mid major with slight name recognition and no real shot at beating us, to come play at our house where we keep all the gate receipts."

If OU is playing UTEP, @UTEP that's a school who is trying to fill their schedule and not whine about it

(http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/30124/the-big-easts-scheduling-headache)

Yeah....it seems that some of these Schools seem to have taken the Notre Dame approach. Agree to a Home and Away Deal and then try and buy your way out of the away game....lol

BTW...I'm guessing they are doing that but it wouldn't surprise me that it's going on.

Jacie
2/10/2012, 10:50 PM
The game is usually scheduled for the first week in October, the 6th (Depending on when the season starts, but this year it was the 6th).

This is a fairly recent thing. For many years it was always the second Saturday in October, which usually put it right in the middle of the state fair run in Dallas.

ouwasp
2/10/2012, 11:27 PM
Is the Big XII schedule some sort of Nat'l Security concern? Why don't they release the darn thing?

8timechamps
2/11/2012, 01:55 AM
Is the Big XII schedule some sort of Nat'l Security concern? Why don't they release the darn thing?

I'm sure the powers that be in WVU are pleading with the Big XII to wait as long as possible to release the schedules, while the Big XII is telling WVU, well, hurry the hell up and it won't be a problem. They're cutting this close.

delhalew
2/11/2012, 02:08 AM
On wemustignitethiscouch somebody posted a link, from orangepower of all places, saying Oklahoma was causing the holdup. You know, cause we're skeered and what not...seriously.

ouwasp
2/11/2012, 10:27 AM
I'm sure the powers that be in WVU are pleading with the Big XII to wait as long as possible to release the schedules, while the Big XII is telling WVU, well, hurry the hell up and it won't be a problem. They're cutting this close.

Well, it is what it is. Release it and be done with it. Or at least quit setting a date for release, then letting the date pass for no announced reason. I don't see how releasing the sked hurts anyone? Maybe it doesn't "help" anyone either, but it sure is irritating...

BoulderSooner79
2/11/2012, 11:11 AM
It has to be a nightmare trying to juggle all the OOC games already committed and integrating TCU and WVU into the conference rotation. Add in the WVU/Bigeast lawsuit and it's pretty to easy to understand what is taking so long.

yermom
2/11/2012, 11:35 AM

but who hosts? Pitt or A&M? is there a return game? letting the pissing contests begin...

budbarrybob
2/11/2012, 12:11 PM

Is your buddy James "The Marvel"?

lakesbison
2/13/2012, 09:43 AM
ready to take on FCS champion NDSU? North Dakota State?

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/350301/group/homepage/

NDSU would bring 10,000+ fans to your stadium and party like rockstars.

NDSU beat Kansas 2 years ago.

jumperstop
2/13/2012, 11:40 AM
So no news on the schedule?

BoomerJ
2/13/2012, 02:13 PM
Nothing official, I guess. Travis Haney suggested in the Daily OK today that it could be UTEP (away) first. Then WV (away) and North Dakota State (Home). TCU will be away. The RRR could be a week or two later than originally scheduled. Six home games in all in his scenario.

PalmBeachSooner
2/13/2012, 02:21 PM

...and it's two miles wide

SapulpaSooner
2/13/2012, 03:59 PM
Nothing official, I guess. Travis Haney suggested in the Daily OK today that it could be UTEP (away) first. Then WV (away) and North Dakota State (Home). TCU will be away. The RRR could be a week or two later than originally scheduled. Six home games in all in his scenario.

What about the game with Rutgers @ MetLife Stadium?

TheUnnamedSooner
2/13/2012, 04:19 PM
What about the game with Rutgers @ MetLife Stadium?

Same article mentioned it got nixed because it was too close (within a week or two) of us traveling to Morgantown. FSU wanted us to come there again, we said no.

EatLeadCommie
2/13/2012, 05:15 PM

Not big on playing D-II school because it hurts our SOS, but if we gotta play one, we might as well play one of the best.

SoonerMom2
2/13/2012, 05:36 PM
My brother and I went to the Sun Bowl and had a great time. Like the last time I was in El Paso before that all we were warned about was NOT crossing the border. Most of the good Mexican restaurants have moved to the El Paso side of the border. There is one north of the stadium that is really good -- not fancy but good food and we saw a lot of Sooner fans there.

El Paso is a lot safer then it was 10 years ago but they have the dual fence with guard shacks about 100 feet -- wouldn't go near the border just in case gun shots cross from south of the border. We went to the event the night before the game downtown and never felt threatened in any way but then you see cops everywhere. El Paso is turning into one of the safer cities with the crackdown on the border. People we met from the university and the city were really nice though they were rooting for the Sooners against Stanford.

8timechamps
2/13/2012, 06:33 PM

Okaaaay?

8timechamps
2/13/2012, 08:26 PM
For those that didn't see Travis Haney's schedule update on NewsOK, here's the link:

LINK (http://newsok.com/ou-football-eight-different-schedule-models-under-consideration/article/3648519/?page=1)

Here's the outline:

1. WVU (and it's Big East issue) is the reason for the latest delay in releasing the schedule.

2. There are eight Big XII schedule models being tossed around.

3. Looks possible that OU will open the 2012 season on the road (UTEP is probable).

4. At this late point, only FCS schools will come to Norman for OOC game. NDSU is the consensus candidate.

5. OU will most likely open conference play at Morgantown against WVU.

6. OU will not make a return trip to any school it played on the road in 2011.

7. Looks like the RRR will in deed be played a week later.

StoopTroup
2/13/2012, 09:00 PM
Tuck Fexas

colleyvillesooner
2/14/2012, 05:07 AM

Yes, yes they did...6-3.

SoCal
2/14/2012, 08:29 AM
February 13, 2012
Big 12 flap putting fall nuptials on hold

By Jeff Mullin, columnist Enid News and Eagle

Love may be on everyone’s mind today as we celebrate Valentine’s Day (and if you forgot today was Valentine’s Day, put the paper down immediately and run, don’t walk, to the nearest store carrying greeting cards and chocolates), but the Big 12 Conference is standing in the way of love.

The Big 12 has delayed releasing its 2012 football schedule, in large part because of West Virginia’s sticky legal situation as it tries to extricate itself from the Big East, and that is putting on hold the plans of young lovers from Miami to Guymon, from Altus to Idabel.

In Oklahoma, there are three things you never do: Tug on Superman’s cape, spit into the wind and schedule any event on the same day as a home football game at either Oklahoma or Oklahoma State.

Thus, brides all across the state hoping to schedule their weddings on a crisp fall Saturday are waiting on pins and needles for the Big 12 football schedule to drop.

The Big 12 is losing Missouri and Texas A&M to the Southeast-ern Conference next season. It has, however, already added Texas Christian for sure and West Virginia, perhaps.

The Mountaineers are in a legal battle to slip the surly bonds of the Big East and jump to the Big 12 next year. Not so fast, say Big East officials, who say WVU is committed to their league until 2014.

WVU reportedly has reached an agreement with the Big East to pay $11 million for the right to join the Big 12 next season. Still, a source told the Charleston (W.Va.) Gazette “things are still very fluid.” CBSSports.com reports the buyout will be more like $20 million, with all the Big 12 teams throwing $1 million into the kitty.

In the meantime, Texas Tech has gotten the jump on the rest of the league, releasing its own schedule last Friday after the school’s athletic director earlier announced that would be the day the Big 12 schedule came out. According to Texas Tech, it will play at Stillwater Sept. 29 and will host Oklahoma Nov. 10. But something tells me this is pretty fluid, too.

Oklahoma not only had to replace Texas A&M and Missouri on its 2012 schedule, but TCU, as well, since the Sooners already were slated to face the Horned Frogs in a non-conference game, which then became a conference game and opened up another spot on the schedule.

So while Bob Stoops was playing golf at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am last weekend, OU athletic director Joe Castiglione was working the phones, and possibly a roll of Tums, as he tries to fill out the Sooners’ slate.

At present, Oklahoma State’s tentative football schedule contains three games — Sept. 8 at Arizona, Sept. 15 at home against Louisiana-Lafayette and Sept. 29 at home against Texas Tech. OU’s 2012 schedule, meanwhile, features Texas in the Cotton Bowl Oct. 6, Notre Dame in Norman Oct. 27 and Nov. 10 at Texas Tech. The rest of the slots are filled with TBA, which stands for To Be Announced, but which also could stand for total bloody anarchy, which is what conference realignment seems to have left the Big 12 with.

And if you like all the uncertainty, you are in luck. It likely will happen again next year, since the Big 12 still hopes to actually get back up to 12 teams by adding schools like Louisville and Brigham Young.

For young brides and their prospective grooms on this Valentine’s Day, I have one piece of advice — a June wedding.

badger
2/14/2012, 11:33 AM
WE HAVE A SCHEDULE!

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=231&articleid=20120214_231_0_TheBig889159)

Oklahoma
Sept. 1: TBA
Sept. 8: TBA
Sept. 15: TBA
Sept. 22: vs. Kansas State
Sept. 29: No game
Oct. 6: at Texas Tech
Oct. 13: vs. Texas
Oct. 20: vs. Kansas
Oct. 27: Off week
Nov. 3: at Iowa State
Nov. 10: vs. Baylor
Nov. 17: at West Virginia
Nov. 24: vs. Oklahoma State
Dec. 1: at TCU

LOL @ all the TBA when they finally release it, hehe

sooneron
2/14/2012, 12:06 PM
I don't understand this. The game is usually scheduled for the first week in October, the 6th .

No, Historically, it was almost always on the second weekend.

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/series/details.cfm?OppID=7

OUInformant
2/14/2012, 07:54 PM
Very nice schedule, especially on the road.

oudivesherpa
2/14/2012, 10:01 PM
What happened to ND? I thought they were Oct 27th, did they back out or are we trying to move them to early Sept.

colleyvillesooner
2/14/2012, 10:02 PM
It is. That is the conference schedule only. Hence no game.