PDA

View Full Version : House votes to give President Obama line item veto

SoonerPride
2/9/2012, 08:38 PM
In principle it allows the President to trim budgets and excise parts of bills as he sees fit.

I think this is a mistake.

I think it shifts too much power to the Executive branch and shows the Legislative branch shirking its responsibility.

I am surprised that this has gotten so little air time.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/02/house-passes-line-item-veto-budget-reform/

olevetonahill
2/9/2012, 09:04 PM
I think yer an idiot .

Every Pres. Needs this :tennis:

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2012, 09:05 PM
It'll just be ruled unconstitutional again, but EVERY president needs the line item veto. One of several ways the Confederate Constitution>US Constitution

SoonerPride
2/9/2012, 09:37 PM
It was a rare unilateral yielding of power by Congress to the chief executive, prompted by Congress's increasing concern over its own lack of fiscal discipline.

This was from 1998 when it was ruled unconstitutional the first time.

I still hold to that position.

I am surprised that there is any support for this on the right. I thought y'all were Constitutional originalists.

What happened to sticking to the will of the Founders?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/supcourt/stories/wp062698.htm

olevetonahill
2/9/2012, 11:13 PM
Dumas , It boils down to
He(whoever is Pres.) can Line out an item
Thats good

IF he vetos some IMPORTANT **** Then THAT ITEM gets over ridden
Pretty simple to me

SoonerPride
2/10/2012, 12:24 AM
Dumas , It boils down to
He(whoever is Pres.) can Line out an item
Thats good

IF he vetos some IMPORTANT **** Then THAT ITEM gets over ridden
Pretty simple to me

Thanks, without the ad hominem attack I never would have understood how this worked.

What is it with the Republicans which lends itself to personal vitriol and epithets?

If you would care to discuss a topic on its merits, let me know.

jkjsooner
2/10/2012, 11:05 AM
Do they give the President the line item veto power in a separate bill or is it imbedded in the budget bill. I suppose if I clicked on the link I'd know the answer.

Is a line item veto really that necessary. Couldn't you parcel up the budget into many bills which would give the President more power but also allow congress the power to state that x can't be vetoed without y.

If the line item veto is in the budget bill itself, wouldn't that pretty much be equivalent to parceling up the bill into many different bills?

I'd support an emendment that gave the President line item veto power iff the bill enables this power and iff the bill is segregated into parts with each part either approved or vetoed as a whole.