PDA

View Full Version : Lineup guesses

TumbleweedDoom
2/7/2012, 08:43 PM
Well, hell, might as well get some discussion going. Let's talk lineup -- who you guys figuring starts?

I'm thinking we have a number of starters set in stone, at least for the first few weeks. They are:

2B: Jack Mayfield
SS: Caleb Bushyhead
RF: Cody Reine
CF: Erik Ross

After that, I think we have pretty strong guesses at a couple of spots:

1B: Max White
C: Hunter Lockwood

That leaves three positions up for grab in left field, third base and designated hitter. Honestly, I have no clue on any of them. I can almost guarantee Evan Mistich will handle one of those spots and maybe move between a couple of them. I also know Sunny mentioned freshman Brian Brightwell playing LF, but who knows? Brightwell is a little-bitty feller with solid, but nothing special numbers in high school.

I gotta think that JUCO transfer Matt Oberste will get a shot -- he had big numbers at Conners and was top 10 in the country in homers and RBI. Another JUCO, Dillon Yeaman, at least LOOKS like a prototypical left fielder as he's at all rangy fellow that had decent power at NEO last season. Another freshman besides Brightwell, the Dylan Raper kid from Glenpool was an absolute BEAST at the high school level, but moving from class 2A ball to the major college level might be a heckuva jump in one year.

Anybody's thoughts?

soonertravis
2/8/2012, 01:30 PM
Not a lot of insight on the team. Just love to hear everyone's opinions with more kowledge than my own. Glenpool is bigger than 2A. They are at least 4A and maybe 5A. May not be that big of a jump for him.

david1
2/8/2012, 07:32 PM
Just can't get enough info'. Get some from twitter though. Really looking like it's going to be a great season.

rysooner
2/9/2012, 11:42 AM
At this point, I worry more about the chemistry of the team than I do who's starting. So many new guys and new coaches that I just hope things jell and fit together. Team chemistry is so important, espically with a bunch of new coaches that even the older players don't know. Let's face it, most of the returning guys were recruited by coaches who are no longer in Norman. Not saying this is a bad thing, just something that I plan to watch as the season progresses.

oldtimer
2/15/2012, 12:02 AM
Prediction – 2012 Line-up

Let’s really get things rocking. Here’s my guesses at the starting line-up and batting order for the games at Pepperdine… My line-up follows Coach G’s propensity to use alternating L-R or R-L hitters.

Lead-off “Woody” Eric Ross in CF bats LH
Seasoned OF, fast, capable bunter, has been lead-off before

2) Max White at 1st base bats RH
Versatile, can drive the ball, can run bases. Scouting reports say he has the
athletic skills to play first, we’ll see how he has learned the position

3) C. Busyhead at SS bats LH
Puts the ball in play to all fields, doesn’t chase bad pitches, reliable. Can he
produce RBIs in the 3-hole?

4) D. Harrison at DH bats RH
Time to see if the big fella can deliver, only 95ABs in 2 yrs. Has he developed
the discipline to drive off-speed pitches and not ground into too many double
plays will be the question. We’ve seen him hit for power in a batter’s count.

5) C. Reine at RF bats LH
The Big Panda typically has been a slow starter. This season he needs to get rolling with solid hits to the gaps for RBIs.
If so – he could move up to the 3-hole

6) E. Mistich at LF bats RH
Shown he can hit .300 in the past, if he continues to be reliable, moves to the 2-hole if White isn’t doing what’s needed or
the 3-hole if Panda takes Clean-up.

7) G. Carey at 3rd bats RH
Built like a protypical 3rd baseman, see if he can hit D1 starters…

8) T. Toal at C bats RH
Capable and most experienced catcher. He’s paid his dues to start. His defense will likely outshine his offensive numbers
for a while. SG will likely accept that

9) J. Mayfield at 2nd bats RH
Good glove, agile player, predicting a nice improvement in his offensive stats this year. His ability to get on base will be
important for Woody to bunt him around in later innings.

On the Bump – SG will be looking at John, Overton, Gray, and Magnifico in relief.

Interested to see how the following new members do in substitution opportunities: Brightwell, Yeaman, Raper, and Lockwood.

Sooner11JK
2/15/2012, 09:21 AM
A name I've heard very good things about on the mound is Okert. LH mid to upper 90s. Could start out as a mid-week guy but is also battling for a weekend role.

TumbleweedDoom
2/15/2012, 09:50 AM
From the last I heard from interviews with Sunny, Okert will be our Sunday starter and Oberste will start at DH. Third base and left field are still up in the air, though.

Battersbox
2/15/2012, 02:02 PM
Lockwood will be in the three hole. Oberste will be a power bat and get first shot at LF along with freshamn Brightwell, and Yeaman. Stictch will be a DH again this year. Drake Roberts will be the utility infielder.

TumbleweedDoom
2/15/2012, 06:03 PM
I heard Oberste is recovering from an arm or shoulder injury or something, but that he's going to be limited in playing in the field, at least during the first part of the season, and will stick to DH.