PDA

View Full Version : NFL Combine invites: Lucky seven!

badger
2/7/2012, 01:23 PM
Congrats to OUr seven invitees!

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20120207_93_0_OKLAHO153707)

The complete list is here. (http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/34737006?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001)

badger
2/7/2012, 01:24 PM
Defensive end Frank Alexander, wide receiver Ryan Broyles, cornerback Jamell Fleming, tight end James Hanna, defensive end Ronnell Lewis, linebacker Travis Lewis and offensive lineman Donald Stephenson.

Boomer.....
2/7/2012, 03:34 PM
Most players invited from any school in the Big 12-1+12-12135325+0.25.

oumartin
2/7/2012, 04:06 PM
Most players invited from any school in the Big 12-1+12-12135325+0.25.

But we have no talent haven't you heard

LVSOONER15
2/7/2012, 04:24 PM
Let's who does best. I really think Fleming will do great.

SunnySooner
2/7/2012, 04:47 PM
Good luck, boys, do us prOUd!!! And don't blow your money on Cristal, whores and cars, but that's another thread. ;)

badger
2/7/2012, 05:22 PM
Paging STEP... any predictions on how our magnificent seven will do?

goingoneight
2/7/2012, 07:39 PM
But we have no talent haven't you heard

There's a difference between talent on the field and talent in the training room or in the Stoops dog house. As I remember it, we were pretty good when we had all those guys out there contributing.

8timechamps
2/7/2012, 08:35 PM
Ronnell of Jamell should be the first off the board. Unfortunately, Ryan's injury probably cost him millions, but someone is going to heck a heck of a WR at a steal.

This is my completely useless draft predictions:

Ronnell Lewis: 2nd round
Jamell Flemming: 3rd round
Donald Stephenson: 3rd round
Ryan Broyles: 3rd/4th round
Frank Alexander: 4th round
Travis Lewis: 4th/5th round
James Hanna: 5th round

stoops the eternal pimp
2/7/2012, 11:56 PM
Instead of me writing all 65 names here is the link: http://www.nflcombine.net/players/official-invite-list

Kicks off the last week of this month..can't wait.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/8/2012, 12:51 AM
The combine, the NFL Draft, and OU spring football, not bad for off-season attractions...Then, there's summer. UGH!

StoopTroup
2/8/2012, 01:14 AM
I'll take 12 kilos of rice flour please.

badger
2/8/2012, 08:14 AM
It's a bad sign for future pro prospects if they're not invited to this, isn't it? I mean, some choose not to participate, or participate fully, but to not get an invite at all means you're not gonna get drafted, right?

swardboy
2/8/2012, 09:00 AM
Are interviews conducted at the combine? Worth Broyles showing up for?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2012, 09:06 AM
Yes, interviews are conducted and for some it will raise up there status and some it will lower(see Dan Cody)...And I think it would be great for Broyles to show up, let the team doctors check him themselves, and then go shine in the interviews.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2012, 10:12 AM
Sorry I didn't see this last night..I merged mine with it..I'll keep what I have in this thread unless it gets junked up..

Donald Stephenson: 7th-UDFA
Frank Alexander:UDFA
James Hanna: UDFA
Travis Lewis: 2nd/3rd

Of course, combine workouts can change everything

badger
2/8/2012, 10:14 AM
Based on team needs or stellar workouts, any chance of a Sooner first rounder this year?

Also, because I'm in Tulsa and will never hear the end of it from my orange neighbors and co-workers, anything negative (or anything at all) you can say about the six Pokes invited?

Wide receiver Justin Blackmon, defensive end Jamie Blatnick, wide receiver Josh Cooper, safety Markelle Martin and safety Johnny Thomas and quarterback Brandon Weeden.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2012, 10:31 AM
Blackmon-His height, which so far I'm not hearing about much, could be an issue after measurements but he still is a top 10 pick...One guy i trust still likes the Jeffery kid from SC more, but as of now, Blackmon is the 1st WR taken

Martin- I have him as the 2nd safety off the board..physical, good tackler

Weeden-Dear God do the pros love him...I wouldn't doubt him going late 1st but most likely early 2nd after his Senior Bowl workouts..I'll get the other guys later.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2012, 10:32 AM
I could see someone reaching for Ronnell in the late first, but he is the only one..

StoopTroup
2/8/2012, 10:39 AM
I think Brandon Weeden looks like this guy on the Discovery Channel's "I almost got away with it".

badger
2/8/2012, 10:40 AM
For players not invited to the combine, is all hope lost? Is there still a way they can sneak in (like if their dad is named Craig James and daddy uses his status as a FORMER espn commentator to leverage against his son getting combine time from the scouts and coaches)?

I ask because that prominent Tulsa stud that OU never had to face (nor at TU opponent for that matter) because of an embezzling accusation is among the early declarations and he was not invited. Demarius Johnson is his name, I think. He and GJ Kinne would have probably put up a bunch of yards against our defense that game had Johnson played. Fortunately, just GJ did :D

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2012, 10:53 AM
He'll get a camp invite somewhere I'm sure..not drafted though..

StoopTroup
2/8/2012, 02:24 PM
Do the Eagles still allow folks to try to walk on? :D

picasso
2/8/2012, 02:26 PM
Yep, and Frank and Charlie are doing acid at the tailgate. "I'm gonna trip balls."

8timechamps
2/8/2012, 02:33 PM
Sorry I didn't see this last night..I merged mine with it..I'll keep what I have in this thread unless it gets junked up..

Donald Stephenson: 7th-UDFA
Frank Alexander:UDFA
James Hanna: UDFA
Travis Lewis: 2nd/3rd

Of course, combine workouts can change everything

STEP, Ronnell could be a very late first rounder if he has a great combine. I think Jamell could be the same (although not a first rounder, he can move up to a higher second round pick with a great combine...just a lot of really good CBs in the draft this year).

I think Stephenson is going to be more 'in demand' than you do it seems. I can certainly see Hanna going undrafted, but I don't think there is a chance that Alexander doesn't get selected.

As for Broyles, he's going to the combine, just won't participate in workouts. He'll interview and take the Wonderlic test. He's going to be a steal for somebody.

badger
2/8/2012, 02:48 PM

Tulsa Shock actually had paid tryouts. For some of the cheapskate owners out there that are looking to make extra bucks, why not have paid tryouts? Sure, we're gonna cut you in no time flat, but for $300, you can run the 40 yard dash, block other wannabes and catch passes from our practice squad quarterback, who is also likely going to be cut in preseason!

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2012, 03:05 PM
STEP, Ronnell could be a very late first rounder if he has a great combine. I think Jamell could be the same (although not a first rounder, he can move up to a higher second round pick with a great combine...just a lot of really good CBs in the draft this year).

I think Stephenson is going to be more 'in demand' than you do it seems. I can certainly see Hanna going undrafted, but I don't think there is a chance that Alexander doesn't get selected.

As for Broyles, he's going to the combine, just won't participate in workouts. He'll interview and take the Wonderlic test. He's going to be a steal for somebody.

Ronnell- Yeah, I posted that first page that he could be a late 1st round...Lots of 3-4 defenses picking late 1st round that could snag him..

Fleming-I agree he could be 2nd round pick also..depends on his time at combine

Stephenson-Unless he does something freakish at the combine, I don't see it...I've got him as the 20th best tackle right now..Who knows..

Alexander-This is why I have him here right now..If a team wants to take him and put some weight on as a DE, I don't think he goes, maybe a 7th rounder like Jeremy Beal..If he can run a good 40 time at his current weight to show he can play OLB..I'm gonna wait until he works out to put him up into the middle of the draft..He was a great college player and could make a squad ala Jeremy Beal, but draft wise, nothing great.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2012, 03:06 PM
I am very confused on why Adcock from OSU didn't receive an invite to any post season games or the combine when he is definitely a 3rd-4th round tackle talent.

badger
2/8/2012, 03:07 PM
I know the NFL said they weren't interested in expanding to 33/34 teams, but how about expanding the draft to more rounds or expanding rosters?

I know that would likely mean more mouths to feed and less bigger contracts to go around, but just askin'

badger
2/8/2012, 03:08 PM
I am very confused on why Adcock from OSU didn't receive an invite to any post season games or the combine when he is definitely a 3rd-4th round tackle talent.

Let me ask one of the billions of Pokes surrounding me if they know what's up. :P

EDIT: Actually, here's an OP thread on it. (http://www.orangepower.com/threads/wow-neither-adcock-nor-garner-get-combine-invite.139522/)

8timechamps
2/8/2012, 03:16 PM
I know the NFL said they weren't interested in expanding to 33/34 teams, but how about expanding the draft to more rounds or expanding rosters?

I know that would likely mean more mouths to feed and less bigger contracts to go around, but just askin'

The leauge will expand at some point in the near future (LA is doing everything short of starting their own league to get possible two teams).

The draft was 12 rounds long until 1993 when it was reduced to 8 rounds. In 1994, they removed the 8th round and that brings us to where we are today. There's also a supplemental draft. It used to be sooooooo long.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2012, 03:20 PM
the shorter draft is much better for the players..The lower round guys aren't as likely to make a team, so the ability to choose which team to go try out for helps them out a lot..I've talked with Mossis Madu about this very topic, and he said him getting to pick TB to work out for is the best thing to happen instead of being drafted.

SoonerAtKU
2/8/2012, 03:44 PM
Yup, the 6th and 7th rounders often describe their situation as indentured servitude. Tawmmy Brady notwithstanding.

8timechamps
2/8/2012, 03:50 PM
Ronnell- Yeah, I posted that first page that he could be a late 1st round...Lots of 3-4 defenses picking late 1st round that could snag him..

Fleming-I agree he could be 2nd round pick also..depends on his time at combine

Stephenson-Unless he does something freakish at the combine, I don't see it...I've got him as the 20th best tackle right now..Who knows..

Alexander-This is why I have him here right now..If a team wants to take him and put some weight on as a DE, I don't think he goes, maybe a 7th rounder like Jeremy Beal..If he can run a good 40 time at his current weight to show he can play OLB..I'm gonna wait until he works out to put him up into the middle of the draft..He was a great college player and could make a squad ala Jeremy Beal, but draft wise, nothing great.

I can definitely see Alexander's size being an issue (almost an in-between'er). I think he has better range than Beal, so I think he stands a better chance at an earlier selection....but, like you said, who knows.

As for Stephenson, I have him a little higher than 20. Although there is no way to know now, and my opinion is a little biased too.

8timechamps
2/8/2012, 03:51 PM
Yup, the 6th and 7th rounders often describe their situation as indentured servitude. Tawmmy Brady notwithstanding.

I don't know for sure, but didn't teams used to cut a lot more players too?

cccasooner2
2/8/2012, 05:30 PM
Let me ask one of the billions of Pokes surrounding me if they know what's up. :P

EDIT: Actually, here's an OP thread on it. (http://www.orangepower.com/threads/wow-neither-adcock-nor-garner-get-combine-invite.139522/)

Thanks for the laugh badger, some pokes don't read too well and get in cat fights with the wrong people. :D

badger
2/8/2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the laugh badger, some pokes don't read too well and get in cat fights with the wrong people. :D

If NYC and Cowboy didn't come to my rescue, they probably would have been Internet stalking me over my last avatar bet loss because it had Kurt Budke in it. :stunned:

Fortunately, OU finally beat OSU (womens basketball last Saturday) so was granted temporary freedom...

Mississippi Sooner
2/8/2012, 05:40 PM

No kidding. Skimming that thread is like watching a debate in the monkey house.

8timechamps
2/8/2012, 07:06 PM
that shocks me because I assumed that Adcock and Garner were 1st rd draft picks or 2nd rd at the least.

Please, PLEASE, tell me this person is not serious. Please.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/9/2012, 09:05 PM
Buzz heard today is Detroit may go Fleming at 23rd pick if combine is solid