PDA

View Full Version : Pet Preference

KantoSooner
2/7/2012, 12:12 PM
Okay, it's now the dead time, the lost time, the non-football season. Last year, we had that social phenomenon known as 'Delete Me'to fill the vacant hours, days and weeks. Now that, too, is gone. We are bereft. We wander, aimlessly, looking for meaning in our empty lives...or at least a good dose of silliness to kill time before spring practices.

So, here it is: Dogs or Cats? Which are the better pets?

And, no, you level-headed people who like both can just keep your lips zippered. The only folks allowed to talk here will be those with violent opinions and creative use of language.

Have at it.

Oh, Dogs. Not even close. Cats are strictly for target practice.

Let the games begin...

Soonerjeepman
2/7/2012, 12:15 PM
dogs...but a good ####y is good once in awhile...was that too much?

OULenexaman
2/7/2012, 12:17 PM
Cats.....they are damn near born potty trained.

Mississippi Sooner
2/7/2012, 12:22 PM
Cats.....they are damn near born potty trained.

That and they are born wanting to kill almost anything their size or smaller. That's a fine quality in a household pet.

deweydw
2/7/2012, 12:31 PM
Dogs... The small variety. Don't want to own an animal that makes bigger poop than me.

badger
2/7/2012, 01:20 PM
I have recently (within the past several years) come to love dogs as well as cats, but if I had to choose one, cats.

You don't have to kennel cats. Let them roam the house while you're on vacation and have the neighbors check on them occasionally if you really want.

Dogs need to be regularly let outside to be walked, to relieve themselves, etc.

If you have a scratching post, cats are relatively nondestructive, except in times of cat sick (although dogs come in quite handy at those moments... i know, very gross). Dogs, however, will chew everything to bits if you are too trusting.

Dogs are more loving and more dedicated to people methinks, while cats are the standoffish types, but if you are looking for low-maintenance, cats all the way.

kbsooner21
2/7/2012, 01:31 PM
Dogs hands down. No way am I having a cat that walks in a litterbox and ****s on his old **** and then jump up on my counter top. Disgusting creatures

deweydw
2/7/2012, 01:36 PM
Dogs need to be regularly let outside to be walked, to relieve themselves, etc.

That's why we have a doggy door. I don't mind cats so much. Just don't want to own one.

Cats are fun to mess with. Put tape on a cats paw. And it tries to shake it loose. A dog would just chew it off.

KantoSooner
2/7/2012, 01:37 PM
excellent! we're starting to generate some bile (sorry, Badger, had to do it).

Really the Movie Cats and Dogs got it about right: on one side, dogs. square jawed defenders of the realm. Friends to damaged children. Protectors and pals, all in one. On the other, sneaky, treacherous cats. Fighting for all they're worth to enslave and grind humanity down. The fuzzy enemy inside the gates.

Although four pieces of double faced tape on a dog's paws is not nearly so much fun as the same on a kitties paws....

Mississippi Sooner
2/7/2012, 01:37 PM
For the record, I like cats, but only as outdoor creatures. I just won't have a litterbox in my house. Among domestic animals, I'm sure cats are the closest to being in touch with their wild sides. Seriously, abandon a dog and, if he doesn't join a pack with several other dogs, he'll likely die of starvation or disease. Abandon a cat, and the cat will just carry on hunting and killing what he needs. I have no reservations about making cats stay outside no matter how cute and pathetic they can get when wanting to be inside.

KantoSooner
2/7/2012, 02:35 PM
Fun tip: when it's cold out, cats sometimes invade the garage when you're parking. They can cunningly hide under the second vehicle and it's a pain to get down and sweep them out with a broom stick or fishing rod. Instead, it's quite easy to use a CO2 fire extinguisher to flush the kitten out into the driveway.

And the fire extinguisher is easily recharged.

Eielson
2/7/2012, 03:03 PM
Cats suck.

Boomer.....
2/7/2012, 03:29 PM
http://www.orangepower.com/attachments/january-28-2012-00-42-13-dogsvscatsemotions-jpg.10041/

Mississippi Sooner
2/7/2012, 04:15 PM
One of the cool things about dogs is that it doesn't matter how long you've been gone. You can leave for just five minutes, but when you come back they greet you with the same enthusiasm as if you'd been gone for a week.

ouwasp
2/7/2012, 06:28 PM
Cats, easy. It is rare that cats smell bad, yet it is just an everyday part of a dog. Our cats never keep the neighbors up at night with barking... but their dogs often make an incessant racket for no humanly discernible reason. If a cat gets mean, just swat it or spray it with water. Do that to my parent's dog and he'll go Cujo on you! Cats offer a great therapeutic effect at the end of a stressful day by just stroking them. The purring is like soothing music. The excitable part of dogdom can be tiresome.

BajaOklahoma
2/7/2012, 07:40 PM
Dogs, but only big dogs. And by that, our Golden Retriever barely makes the big dog cut at 65 pounds. Our other two dogs are 80+ pounds. No yappy, frou-frou dogs. Working dogs, or bred to work. Our dogs are house dogs, well traveled and behaved (they love elevators). No keeping the neighbors up, owners that keep their poop cleaned up.

We have two cats, whom I love, but if I have to pick - Dog Rule. FWIW, I actually married my husband to get his dog. She was worth it.

8timechamps
2/7/2012, 09:12 PM
Dogs. I don't even get the point of having a pet cat.

cleller
2/7/2012, 10:02 PM
Dogs are a lot more work, can sometimes drive you nuts, dirty up a house with dirt, mud, hair, dander, splash water everywhere, make noise...But they like people, and will do anything for you.

Have two great, smart, and worn out dogs sleeping at my feet right now.

delhalew
2/8/2012, 12:04 AM
Fun tip: when it's cold out, cats sometimes invade the garage when you're parking. They can cunningly hide under the second vehicle and it's a pain to get down and sweep them out with a broom stick or fishing rod. Instead, it's quite easy to use a CO2 fire extinguisher to flush the kitten out into the driveway.

And the fire extinguisher is easily recharged.

You wanna know the best thing about cats? In order to stay warm, they will jump up on your engine from underneath your vehicle. Then when you start it, they get startled on jump into the fan. One. Less. Cat.

delhalew
2/8/2012, 12:06 AM
Dogs. I don't even get the point of having a pet cat.
Unless you are a big fan of fecal matter, I don't think there is a point. Keeping one outside to control rodents on a farm is a different story, but that is no more a pet than the cattle.

SoonerTerry
2/8/2012, 10:39 AM
its almost impossible to be lonely if you have a good dog.... or cat for that matter, but the dog will go farther to get you out of a funk.

SoonerTerry
2/8/2012, 10:42 AM
my biggest beef with cats is the catbox. If the cat would use the terlit... that would be on IN freekin cat.

Mississippi Sooner
2/8/2012, 10:57 AM
my biggest beef with cats is the catbox. If the cat would use the terlit... that would be on IN freekin cat.

I used to know a couple that had a cat that was trained to use the toilet. They had this thing that you attached to the toilet seat that would make the cat get used to doing his business up there. They still sell them, too: http://www.litterkwitter.com/en/index.php

Only thing is, the cat didn't know how to flush, and it could be a little disconcerting as a houseguest to go in there and see cat turds floating in the bowl.

kbsooner21
2/8/2012, 11:03 AM
That cat was no Jinxy huh?

olevetonahill
2/8/2012, 11:25 AM
My cat goes O/S like the dogs

8timechamps
2/8/2012, 02:56 PM

I would pay a handsome sum to have my dog trained to use the terlit. A handsome sum!

MsProudSooner2
2/8/2012, 05:13 PM
Cats suck.

No doubt some do. But, I just finished a book about an AMAZING cat! When Homer was 2 weeks old, before his eyes opened, he got a terrible infection in both eyes. The vet had to remove his eyes to save his life. The rest is history as they say. Homer doesn't know that everyone else can see. Homer doesn't know that a blind cat shouldn't climb up to the top of a bookcase and jump off on a leap of faith that it's not 100 feet to the ground.

Here's a video with Homer and his owner:

http://www.gwencooper.com/video.php

cleller
2/8/2012, 06:32 PM
I would pay a handsome sum to have my dog trained to use the terlit. A handsome sum!

Does that mean he is not house-trained, or you just hate cleaning up the yard?

I keep waiting for someone else to start this, but dogs are like kids, you have to show pictures even if you know no one cares.

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/cs6000/IMG_2068.jpg

8timechamps
2/8/2012, 07:19 PM
Does that mean he is not house-trained, or you just hate cleaning up the yard?

I keep waiting for someone else to start this, but dogs are like kids, you have to show pictures even if you know no one cares.

Hate cleaning the yard! Although, when we go on daily walks, I can get him to carry the baggie back to the house (or nearest trashcan).

Good lookin' pups. Is the white one a heeler mix?

cleller
2/8/2012, 09:43 PM
Good lookin' pups. Is the white one a heeler mix?

We think so. We got him as a pup from Animal Rescue. I call him a Border Heeler, as we think he's part Border Collie, part Heeler. Border Collie build, Heeler face. Two high energy maniacs.

8timechamps
2/8/2012, 11:11 PM
We think so. We got him as a pup from Animal Rescue. I call him a Border Heeler, as we think he's part Border Collie, part Heeler. Border Collie build, Heeler face. Two high energy maniacs.

I have a heeler mix, and he's got markings just like that (only tan and white). He's a blue heeler, cocker spaniel mix. And 100% goofball.

KantoSooner
2/9/2012, 09:33 AM
Fine pieces of dogflesh, those two.

olevetonahill
2/9/2012, 09:56 AM
I love all the critters , Its the ****in owners that I hate

KantoSooner
2/9/2012, 10:05 AM
How do you feel about people who don't own pets?

olevetonahill
2/9/2012, 10:25 AM
How do you feel about people who don't own pets?
Dont much care for them either :tennis:

Pricetag
2/9/2012, 11:31 AM
I bet most people have more of their own **** on their hands than cats do on their paws.

KantoSooner
2/9/2012, 12:11 PM
I read somewhere (now THERE'S a source for you) that something like 40% of people masturbate at work and don't wash their hands afterwards.

It'll make you look at glad-handing salesmen in a different light.

And it'll make you rethink the whole term 'glad handing' as well.

C&CDean
2/9/2012, 02:36 PM
Alls I can say is this:

When somebody dumps a box of puppies or kittens down on the road it makes me very sad/angry. When somebody dumps a dog down on the road it makes me equally sad/angry. When somebody dumps a cat down on the road I am completely neutral. I simply don't care.

When I've had to dispatch some of these animals it damn sure hurts a lot worse when it's a canine than when it's a feline. So, dogs are better than cats.

delhalew
2/9/2012, 09:29 PM
I know I'll never forget having to end this girl's suffering.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/delhalew/109594606_52eef65a11_m.jpg

olevetonahill
2/9/2012, 10:47 PM
Im like Dean, Have the balls to put em down.
DONT dump em om us

FirstandGoal
2/10/2012, 09:30 AM
Cats.

For many reasons. First, both of my cats are rescues. I got one when she was around 9months old and even though she is now almost 8 years old she still has some trust issues, but she's one of the sweetest animals on the earth. Only problem is she isn't that great of a pet if you want affection because of the trust issues. About the best you get from this cat is to have her sit on the arm of your chair within arm's reach. When I first got this animal, she was living on the streets, was almost starved to death, and had been beaten regularly by neighbors (not mine, this cat came from a friend of mine's neighborhood) and her mother and litter mates had already died. My friend was keeping her alive by keeping cat food and a warm blanket on the porch, but she already had dogs and didn't want to bring a cat into the mix.
Not being a cat person myself, but having no pets at the moment, I took her in. From day one, this cat who had had a horrible early life used the litterbox, kept herself clean, never destructed a single thing, and even though she is very skittish, she is very loving and has never once hissed, snarled, or acted entitled.

My second cat came because another friend had some unclaimed kittens running around her neighborhood and I got her right after we figured she'd been weaned. I mostly got her for company for the older cat, but this younger cat definitely has more of the typical cat 'tude and sometimes I have to remind her just who goes out and buys the food and the kitty litter. The second cat is very social, very territorial, and very emotional, but she loves to sit on you for hours on end and lay her head on your chest. You can tell her favorite thing is to cuddle with you and listen to your heartbeat. I have to admit, its pretty relaxing at the end of a crappy day to know my cat is both happy to see me and willing to give me a "hug."

I have a very small house and even smaller property, with by back yard fence right up alongside a very busy city road. At this point in time, I think it would be pretty heartless to get a dog because they would have zero room to run around, and now that the kids are older and not home as much it wouldn't get the attention a dog properly deserves.

One day if I ever move to a more suitable area I would love to get a big dog so I could have both big dog house protection and a running partner. Screw those little yippy dogs!

dwarthog
2/10/2012, 09:44 AM
Im like Dean, Have the balls to put em down.
DONT dump em om us

Agreed.

Worst chore I had as a kid was "taking care" of the strays/dumped animals that folks think they are setting free out in the country.

KantoSooner
2/10/2012, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I really don't know what people think is going to happen to their abandoned pets. The Nice Home Fairy will maybe whisk them off to live with the Cleavers? I live 5 miles outside of Bartlesville and here is what happens:

1. The coyotes dine on them.
2. They get hit by cars.
3. They freeze to death.
4. They die of starvation//thirst.
5. They just die. Alone and scared.

If you can't care for your pet anymore, take 'em to the animal shelter and endure the shame or take 'em out somewhere nice and shoot 'em.

Oh, and the people who dump pit bulls and other large aggressive breeds should be held responsible for the damage their 'pets' do as they become increasingly panicked and destructive.

SoonerTerry
2/10/2012, 10:20 AM
I read somewhere (now THERE'S a source for you) that something like 40% of people masturbate at work and don't wash their hands afterwards.

It'll make you look at glad-handing salesmen in a different light.

And it'll make you rethink the whole term 'glad handing' as well.

I think your source is a farkin weirdo!!

SoonerTerry
2/10/2012, 10:28 AM
This is our Spider monkey

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/SimTechMan/spidey.jpg

delhalew
2/10/2012, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I really don't know what people think is going to happen to their abandoned pets. The Nice Home Fairy will maybe whisk them off to live with the Cleavers? I live 5 miles outside of Bartlesville and here is what happens:

2. They get hit by cars.
3. They freeze to death.

If you can't care for your pet anymore, take 'em to the animal shelter and endure the shame or take 'em out somewhere nice and shoot 'em.

Oh, and the people who dump pit bulls and other large aggressive breeds should be held responsible for the damage their 'pets' do as they become increasingly panicked and destructive.

I live out in the sticks in Stephens county. Our neighbors had a very large dog killed by a roving pack of wild dogs, no doubt these were dumped out there by irresponsible owners.

cleller
2/10/2012, 10:35 AM
This is our Spider monkey

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/SimTechMan/spidey.jpg

I'd keep my shoes away from that monkey. Looks like his eyes have been replaced with turquiose.

SoonerTerry
2/10/2012, 10:44 AM
I'd keep my shoes away from that monkey. Looks like his eyes have been replaced with turquiose.

This dog's eyes look like human eyes... I called him devil dog for the first couple of years of his life.

FirstandGoal
2/10/2012, 10:51 AM
What pisses me off more than anything is when people get pets, then don't bother to spay or neuter them. That should be right up there with feeding them and giving them shelter.

Saturday night I hear a big ruckus in the backyard. Turns out one of my neighbor's cats is in heat. Poor thing had 3 males all over her so now I'm sure I'm gonna find some kittens in my shed sometime in April.....

badger
2/10/2012, 10:52 AM
Alls I can say is this:

When somebody dumps a box of puppies or kittens down on the road it makes me very sad/angry. When somebody dumps a dog down on the road it makes me equally sad/angry. When somebody dumps a cat down on the road I am completely neutral. I simply don't care.

When I've had to dispatch some of these animals it damn sure hurts a lot worse when it's a canine than when it's a feline. So, dogs are better than cats.

A few sad stories to share:

A few years ago, the Tulsa Zoo finally had enough and contacted the media. I think it was around the time the recession hit when people thought that simply bringing their dogs at the zoo and running away was like taking a newborn child to an orphanage and ringing the doorbell and hightailing it. The zoo was like "Ummm... we're not an animal shelter, idiots! We can't care for your random dog!"

The Tulsa SPCA apparently also has this problem, and even warns people out front that they have surveillance cameras, take these animals to the animal shelter and report vehicle tag numbers to the police for dumping the animals.

The grim reality is that there are more pet animals out there than people willing and able to take them in. Even if you do man up and take them to the animal shelter, admit that you can no longer take care of your pet, the reality is that the pet's chance for adoption is very low, and even "no-kill" shelters aren't going to be able to indefinitely house your pet and take them to a shelter that will kill. This also used to happen in Tulsa. The suburbs would brag that they were no-kill, which basically meant that they would come to Tulsa's animal shelter on the one day it wasn't open to the public and drop off surplus (and dangerous/unadoptable) animals.

Whether you're a cat or a dog person, spay or neuter em. Choose rescue animals over breeder ones. And remember that even if your husband is the dog person in the relationship, you are going to be the one walking and feeding and brushing them and telling them to STFU at 3 a.m. in the morning when he's outta town on business.

C&CDean
2/10/2012, 11:22 AM
A few sad stories to share:

A few years ago, the Tulsa Zoo finally had enough and contacted the media. I think it was around the time the recession hit when people thought that simply bringing their dogs at the zoo and running away was like taking a newborn child to an orphanage and ringing the doorbell and hightailing it. The zoo was like "Ummm... we're not an animal shelter, idiots! We can't care for your random dog!"

You'd think they'd be happy about it. Free lion/tiger food.

KantoSooner
2/10/2012, 11:33 AM
I live out in the sticks in Stephens county. Our neighbors had a very large dog killed by a roving pack of wild dogs, no doubt these were dumped out there by irresponsible owners.

And we had a scary 'big ole ugly mean dog' that hung around the area for a week or two stealing pet food. He'd growl at you in your own yard. He finally got into the habit of killing a neighbor's goats. Bad luck for him: the neighbor also owned a .50 sniper rifle. Amazing to see what one of those does to even a 100lb plus dog.

badger
2/10/2012, 11:44 AM
You'd think they'd be happy about it. Free lion/tiger food.

I've been in their meat lockers. They have specialized dietary crap for each and every animal like you wouldn't believe. All those signs begging people not to feed the animals popcorn are not just for show.

Or I could joke that the Tulsa Zoo does a good enough job of killing animals without feeding them rabid, diseased stray pets. Poor giraffe. Poor elephant. Poor every other animal that has died there this past decade.

oudavid1
2/10/2012, 11:55 AM
Dogs only because they seem to be less moody.

deweydw
2/10/2012, 12:50 PM
Saturday night I hear a big ruckus in the backyard. Turns out one of my neighbor's cats is in heat. Poor thing had 3 males all over her so now I'm sure I'm gonna find some kittens in my shed sometime in April.....

About 27 years ago, we were living in a garage apartment. As I stepped out the door to walk down the steps. There were two cats in the drive way. Female calico and a white male on her back. The Calico saw me come out. But the male did not. He was in deep concentration trying to find that spot.

I slowly walked down the steps. And the female watched me all the way down. I stopped at the last step. All the while the male was trying to find that spot. I slowly lowered my foot to the ground. As it touched the ground, the female shot out like a rocket. The male was still groovin. After a few seconds of air. He stopped, looked down and finally noticed nothing was there. He looked around and saw me, then took off.

BillyBall
2/10/2012, 12:52 PM
Dogs think you're a God, Cats think they are the God.

Flagstaffsooner
2/10/2012, 01:36 PM
Dogs hands down. No way am I having a cat that walks in a litterbox and ****s on his old **** and then jump up on my counter top. Disgusting creatures
Dogs eat cat poop then lick your face. Yummy.

dwarthog
2/10/2012, 04:50 PM
Dogs eat cat poop then lick your face. Yummy.

My son's dogs do this... Disgusting....

badger
2/10/2012, 05:09 PM
Speaking of dogs, the Westminster show is in a few days. They added some new mutty breeds to it. I wonder if Peta's gonna crash the party again, hehe.

8timechamps
2/11/2012, 11:46 PM

2. They get hit by cars.
3. They freeze to death.

That's just it, they take the chicken**** way out and "release" or "dump" the pet on others. That way, they can make up some Disney story in their mind about how well it all worked out for the animal. Chicken****s, all of them!

Hell, I'd take a dog (and maybe even a cat) over most people.

diverdog
2/12/2012, 08:52 AM
I have had cats and dogs. I liked my cats but loved my dogs.

There is really no comparison. I would take a great dog over a great cat any day of the week. All my dogs have been hunting dogs. I love their spirit and enthusiasm. They are loyal to a fault and my dog would die for me. Cats never will bond to humans the way dogs bond to their families. In my mind that is the difference. Dogs love you, cats tolerate you.