PDA

View Full Version : What OU can learn from the Super Bowl Giants...

Soonermagik
2/6/2012, 08:41 PM
Defense does indeed win championships. However, D-Line is the most important aspect of the game. If you can shut down the other teams run and get pressure on their QB you will win most games.

Secondly, Eli Manning has limited mobility, but he gets the ball out of his hands super fast. When he does get some pressure he either throws it away or takes the sack while protecting the ball. He's not the best QB in the league, but he's a great game manager. Landry Jones could do these same things and I hope he learned these lessons last night.

Great Defense and a good game manager QB = Legit championship team.

cvsooner
2/6/2012, 08:44 PM
Harumph: Wes Welker, Deion Branch and Aaron Hernandez. Any of those three make a catch with the Patriots driving (especially Welker) and we're talking about Brady's fourth Super Bowl win.

BoulderSooner79
2/6/2012, 08:52 PM
If you are going to fumble, make sure you have a teammate nearby to recover it for you. Especially if you are inside your own 10 yard line.

AlboSooner
2/6/2012, 09:11 PM
Running the ball and good D wins you a 'ship

cvsooner
2/6/2012, 09:16 PM
If you are going to fumble, make sure you have a teammate nearby to recover it for you. Especially if you are inside your own 10 yard line.And this.

StoopTroup
2/6/2012, 09:26 PM
Not to call yourself New York when your team is in Jersey?

En_Fuego
2/6/2012, 09:38 PM
Lots of pure luck helps

IBleedCrimson
2/6/2012, 10:22 PM
So does a gift safety followed by a possession with a short field

Eielson
2/6/2012, 10:37 PM
The Giants were 25th in scoring defense and 27th in defensive yardage. I also want to say that the Giants were dead last in offensive rushing yards since people also believe you need to be able to run the ball to win. A Patriots vs. Giants match up did not support the "defense wins championships" idea. It's about the best team. Not the best defense. Not the best offense.

8timechamps
2/6/2012, 10:58 PM
I think the "defense wins championship" mantra is old and worn out. I mean, you'll need to have a decent defense to compete for a title, but you couod also win one with a mediocre defense and a stellar offense.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/7/2012, 01:30 AM
Harumph: Wes Welker, Deion Branch and Aaron Hernandez. Any of those three make a catch with the Patriots driving (especially Welker) and we're talking about Brady's fourth Super Bowl win.I couldn't believe all the choking going on out there!

SoonernAR
2/7/2012, 04:02 AM
Most of the dynasty's in the NFL had dominating D-lines or had depth to rotate fresh talented backups to maintain consistent pressure.......Jimmy Jonhson did for the cowboys..

badger
2/7/2012, 09:58 AM
The BCS would have voted the Packers into the Super Bowl, so there's not much OU could learn from the Giants here on championships :D

Even if the BCS adopts a plus-one format, they still would have been out, because the Packers would have played the unquestioned No. 2 team in the NFC, the 49ers, while the AFC would have had a one-game playoff between the Patriots and Ravens.

So... perhaps the NCAA has something to learn from the Giants, not the Sooners ---- PLAYOFF! And the NFL can learn something from the BCS: Championship games between two teams from the same are of the country? BOR-ING.

SoonerTerry
2/7/2012, 10:18 AM
I'd like to buy a vowel

UberSooner
2/7/2012, 10:30 AM
that you can lose more than a 1/3 or your games and still win championships . . . if there is a playoff.

Curly Bill
2/7/2012, 10:39 AM
that you can lose more than a 1/3 or your games and still win championships . . . if there is a playoff.

Nice! :)

Mississippi Sooner
2/7/2012, 11:02 AM
Not to call yourself New York when your team is in Jersey?

I've always thought that was dumb, too. If I lived in Jersey, that would tick me off.

rekamrettuB
2/7/2012, 11:05 AM
The BCS would have voted the Packers into the Super Bowl, so there's not much OU could learn from the Giants here on championships :D

Even if the BCS adopts a plus-one format, they still would have been out, because the Packers would have played the unquestioned No. 2 team in the NFC, the 49ers, while the AFC would have had a one-game playoff between the Patriots and Ravens.

So... perhaps the NCAA has something to learn from the Giants, not the Sooners ---- PLAYOFF! And the NFL can learn something from the BCS: Championship games between two teams from the same are of the country? BOR-ING.

Hell the Giants would have barely qualified for a bowl game.

SoonerNutt
2/7/2012, 11:36 AM
Seriously, if there is a coach out who doesn't know the value of having a dominant D-Line, then he should be fired post-haste.

So why doesn't every team have a great D-line? hmmmm....

TUSooner
2/7/2012, 12:02 PM
The real lesson: Hire veteran professionals. Duh.
Other than that, badger wins:

The BCS would have voted the Packers into the Super Bowl, so there's not much OU could learn from the Giants here on championships

And special thanks to baj for mentioning (indirectly) another reason why I could not get stoked for this years game: Boston v New York. It's almost as tiresome in football as in baseball.

Mississippi Sooner
2/7/2012, 12:19 PM
The real lesson: Hire veteran professionals. Duh.
Other than that, badger wins:

And special thanks to baj for mentioning (indirectly) another reason why I could not get stoked for this years game: Boston v New York. It's almost as tiresome in football as in baseball.

Yup. This Super Bowl gave me about the same sort of feeling as the BCS Championship a few years ago between SUC and T*xas. Since I knew it wasn't possible for them to both lose, I just couldn't make myself care.

Curly Bill
2/7/2012, 01:22 PM
Seriously, if there is a coach out who doesn't know the value of having a dominant D-Line, then he should be fired post-haste.

Cause dominant defensive linemen don't grow on trees?

swardboy
2/7/2012, 01:44 PM
Listen to your QB as he's handing off the ball to you!

Actually I agree that Eli is a very good model for Landry to study; very similar skill sets and personalities. And hot wife/girlfriend.

LJ would be exceptionally fortunate to go to the Giants and be mentored by Eli.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/7/2012, 02:40 PM

Honestly, the value of a "dominant" DL isn't as high in college as it in the pros. That is because what you need to be a "dominant" DL is based upon the opposing offense you are facing. In college, you play 12 games and face 9 different offenses. In the NFL, you play 16 games and face 3. In the NFL you have a "rush" end that is basically only focused on getting to the QB and plays every down almost every game. In college, that same end has to be able to play against power rushing teams, option teams, finesse passing, and whatever else variant people use.

I mean look at our 2001 D. That team had dominant players at every level yet it still got smoked for 38 against KState.

BoulderSooner79
2/7/2012, 03:42 PM
We also learned it's really hard for a back to *not* score when the defense rolls out a red carpet to the endzone. That play cracked me up.

TUSooner
2/7/2012, 04:00 PM

Just to drag up a stale thought form a CFB/BCS/playoff thread: I think many people would probably agree that, in some sense, the two "best" (i.e., consistently good) teams in the NFL did not play in the SB. Or maybe they would have preferred to see GB vs Ravens or Saints v Steelers or 49ers v Pats or some other match up. But does anyone really think that the Giants don't "deserve" to be champs? I guess my point is that, if you want an objective result, you need a playoff, and you let the teams show who deserves it, regardless of whether they looked like dog poop the rest of the year or not. Or maybe I mean that, if you open up a playoff system too much, a team that was pretty mediocre for 13 weeks might win the damn trophy, even though several teams (like the Saints) bitch-slapped them disrespectfully during the season. Or it could be that I just refuse to be happy with either the SB or the BCS outcome! BaaaaaaghghghghgH!!!!!!!!1 :)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/7/2012, 04:34 PM
The BCS system, with a 4 team playoff might have the best features, to be sure all teams are motivated for all their regular season games, AND allow for a flub or 2 among the top tier, by allowing them to have that 2nd chance.

rekamrettuB
2/7/2012, 05:39 PM
Listen to your QB as he's handing off the ball to you!

This is funny. How many times, during a game, do you think the QB hollers at his RB as he's handing him the ball? I'm surprised he could hear anything. I recall in my playing days that when the ball was snapped it seemed like everything went silent during the plays.

Soonermagik
2/7/2012, 05:47 PM
Honestly, the value of a "dominant" DL isn't as high in college as it in the pros. That is because what you need to be a "dominant" DL is based upon the opposing offense you are facing. In college, you play 12 games and face 9 different offenses. In the NFL, you play 16 games and face 3. In the NFL you have a "rush" end that is basically only focused on getting to the QB and plays every down almost every game. In college, that same end has to be able to play against power rushing teams, option teams, finesse passing, and whatever else variant people use.

I mean look at our 2001 D. That team had dominant players at every level yet it still got smoked for 38 against KState.

This used to be true. Green Bay runs a true spread offense and loves the bubble screen. Tebow and the Broncos are running a lot of option stuff. I just think we're seeing a new wave of NFL offenses.

East Coast Bias
2/7/2012, 05:56 PM
There is a lot of whining up here in patriot territory about dropped balls costing them the championship. I find it interesting that they fail to bring up the fact that the Ravens were 1 dropped ball in the endzone away from knocking them out of everything..

madillsoonerfan5353
2/7/2012, 06:27 PM
I think the "defense wins championship" mantra is old and worn out. I mean, you'll need to have a decent defense to compete for a title, but you couod also win one with a mediocre defense and a stellar offense.

Disagree, see 2008 OU Sooners...

BoulderSooner79
2/7/2012, 09:58 PM
Disagree, see 2008 OU Sooners...

2008 Sooners certainly could have won.

AlboSooner
2/7/2012, 10:03 PM
I've always thought that was dumb, too. If I lived in Jersey, that would tick me off.

The Giants are a Jersey team in reality. They play in Jersey, train there and live there. Their fans are mostly in Jersey, and Manhattan. Anywhere else it's Jets territory.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/8/2012, 01:00 PM
We need a 64 team playoff.

vtsooner21
2/9/2012, 07:23 AM
Hmmm...Something learned from the Super Bowl, huh? Maybe it just might be to not get complacent by reading the press about how good you're supposed to be...Are you listening, Patriots? Works in college ball as well..

Boomer

oudavid1
2/9/2012, 11:11 AM
Packers/Patriots would have been a much better game. That is what a 1-2 system would provide. But Giants sucked all year and got hot at the right time with no injuries (unlike NE with Gronk) and now have a trophy....forever. Now the Packers, they didnt lose for a calendar year, put up points like crazy, but lost a game on a couple of fumbles and a hail mary at half time. Playoffs are cute. But I aint buying em a drink.

BoulderSooner79
2/9/2012, 01:55 PM
Hmmm...Something learned from the Super Bowl, huh? Maybe it just might be to not get complacent by reading the press about how good you're supposed to be...Are you listening, Patriots? Works in college ball as well..

Boomer

Except that's not what happened. The Giants were better at almost every position on the field. It was an amazing job by the Pats to keep it close and if Gronkowski is healthy, they probably pull off the win.

vtsooner21
2/9/2012, 03:45 PM
Must be watching something different....The Pats were expected to win; the Giants had something to prove. Big difference when it comes to actual field play. Can't go into a game on "ifs" either. Tell me that the Sooners haven't been bitten by complacency in the past. The press, whether it's daily articles or the curse of Sports Illustrated, or even ESPN has a way of putting poison into the Cool Aid (Or Gator Aid if you prefer)
Boomer

BoulderSooner79
2/9/2012, 07:59 PM
Must be watching something different....The Pats were expected to win; the Giants had something to prove. Big difference when it comes to actual field play. Can't go into a game on "ifs" either. Tell me that the Sooners haven't been bitten by complacency in the past. The press, whether it's daily articles or the curse of Sports Illustrated, or even ESPN has a way of putting poison into the Cool Aid (Or Gator Aid if you prefer)
Boomer

After watching the playoffs, I certainly didn't expect the Pats to win and they were alot of sports writers that agreed. The Giants beat 2 better teams on the road (Pack, 49ers) than the Pats beat at home. Neither team had great defenses, but the Giants were at least playing their best defense of the year and could rush the passer. The Giants had better receivers, better Oline and better RBs. The Pats had Brady and maybe a couple of other positions where they were better than the Giants. As I said, I was amazed they kept it close and almost pulled it off - I certainly didn't detect any complacency from the Pats. But I'm not a Pats homer, so maybe I just can't read their minds.

vtsooner21
2/10/2012, 05:23 AM
The "homers" and bookies happened to put the Pats at a 3 point favorite. May say something for the fact that they were somewhat the favorites in this game. I certainly didn't see it that way. The Giants played great teams in the Playoffs and beat them by playing an even better game. I agree that the Giants were underrated, at least according to betting lines. Quite often there is no gauge for desire where games often are won or lost. Personally, I enjoyed the game and the final result. The only big letdown was those high-priced commercials...

ashley
2/10/2012, 08:10 AM
Someone tell our coaches this, I am sure the never heard of it.
In reality, great D tackles are the hardest of all positions to find.

Scott D
2/10/2012, 03:22 PM
The only thing OU would have learned from the Giants is that if the Giants were a college team they'd have gone 1-2 in Non Conference Play, and lucked into winning a conference with a 7-2 record, and somehow manage to end up in the Title game.

We saw Leslie Miles do this once, and nobody wants to see that little opera again.