PDA

View Full Version : OU women at Baylor

badger
2/6/2012, 11:01 AM
Q: I am an undefeated Big 12 team that has a star player with the last name Griffin. I defeated every Big 12 team in the regular season and will likely be a 1-seed in the tournament and will likely take the Big 12 tournament as well. Who am I?

A: 2009-2010 Nebraska womens basketball team, that went 32-2, emphasis on the AND TWO. This is because despite getting off to a hot start of defeating everyone in sight, they completely fetal positioned when it came postseason time. First, they gave the Big 12 tourney to Texas A&M. Then, they allowed us to make the Final Four by getting beat by Kentucky, who we handily beat (by like 20) in the Elite Eight. It was like... perfect and stuff.

I bring this up because some people out there are giving Baylor tons of credit for starting off the regular season undefeated. And maybe they should give them some kudos, because that isn't an easy task. Alas, I will not be one of those people giving Baylor any kudos, or love, or anything today.

1- The punch.
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/194415_o.gif

2- The divorce comment.

Baylor women’s basketball coach Kim Mulkey, who has made no secret of the end of her own marriage five years ago, said she paid special attention to those comments. And when the topic of the Lady Bears continuing their marquee rivalry with A&M came up at Big 12 media day on Wednesday, Mulkey took Loftin’s analogy to a new level of candor.

“So basically he’s talking about a divorce,” Mulkey said. “And I think I know a little bit about a divorce. And my feeling is this – if a man wants to divorce me and says our relationship has no value to him, and then he asks me if he can sleep with me, the answer is: ‘No!’”

3- The D-Rob diss.

I wonder how many of you here voted for Danielle Robinson (instead of Destiny Williams) who only played two games here. Speak up. Let me see you. Shame on you. Shame on you. She's not leaving here with a championship, is she?

4- The Pac-16 whining

Asked for comments about the latest developments, Baylor Lady Bears basketball coach Kim Mulkey said: "This is a classic example of greed and the all-mighty dollar. It starts with people who make decisions at Nebraska and Texas. For people who talk about academics, this is not about what's in the best interest of each student-athlete or the Big 12. It's about money.

"People at universities always want to talk about academics, but this is not about academics. If it's about academics, Baylor would be included in an invite to the Pac-10. There are people who will be invited to the Pac-10 that Baylor has a better academic university than.

"It's about greed, and shame on people at the top. They don't need to preach another day about student-athletes."

Seriously... I've given up trying to rally any Big 12 spirit when it comes to that particular team. Still don't mind their other programs... Skeletor and her minions, eff them.

8 p.m. tonite at Waco.

TV: ESPN2
Radio: Oklahoma City: KOKC 1520 AM
Norman: KREF 1400 AM

Web: ESPN3.com

SS.com preview here. (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/020512aab.html)

Heaven help us, we are probably going to lose by 50 (Skeletor wouldn't get greedy after bashing greed over the Pac-16, now would she? heh heh heh...). But in the oft chance that we pull off a victory tonight, either for the women or the men, you will definitely want to be watching. :)

Boomer!

NMSooner'80
2/6/2012, 02:20 PM
Great minds think alike!

badger
2/6/2012, 02:45 PM
Great minds think alike!

Why is Skeletor treating Sherri Coale like she's He-Man or something? Is it the blonde hair? Is it Sherri being loved and adored by all while people can't look at her without feeling repulsed (or can't stop staring during the game to watch the exact moment she'll get issued a technical?).

A look back at previous scores, dating back to OU's first Final Four season:

2002: 82-73 (OU), 69-60 (OU), 84-69 (OU, for the Big 12 tourney title)
2003: 65-64 (OU), 78-64 (OU)
2004: 74-67 (Baylor), 77-62 (Baylor)
2005: 78-68 (Baylor), 73-72 (Baylor)
2006: 73-70 (OU), 81-77 (OU in OT), 72-61 (OU for Big 12 tourney title)
2007: 76-63 (OU), 88-61 (OU), 78-64 (OU)
2008: 79-59 (Baylor), 84-73 (Baylor)
2009: 56-51 (OU), 66-58 (OU)
2010: 57-47 (Baylor), 62-60 (OU in OT), 59-54 (OU)
2011: 92-70 (Baylor), 82-81 (Baylor)

It seems to me that this apparent Sherri-hate that Skeletor has is just spiteful, the fact that we have put up fights against some of their best teams and have swept them several times when they've had top teams (aka in the top ten), sometimes in overtime, sometimes for the Big 12 title.

All stats taken from SS.com

NMSooner'80
2/6/2012, 03:17 PM
Unfortunately, Skeletor has Big 12 zebras too terrified of her to T her up. It's worse than it was when Bobby Knight was in the league.

badger
2/6/2012, 03:19 PM
Unfortunately, Skeletor has Big 12 zebras too terrified of her to T her up. It's worse than it was when Bobby Knight was in the league.

Oh, they've T'd her before. The last time I was at LNC was when she was last T'd I think. Basically, we blocked a Griner dunk, which sent Skeletor into apesh!t mode (before that, it was just berserk mode). The refs finally heard and seen enough and the soldout LNC gave them all a standing ovation for the T-worthy performance. I think either D-Rob or Whitney sank both frees afterward too :D

:( alas, we lost by one that day. One of the absolute most fun losing games I've ever witnessed at LNC, because loses aren't supposed to be fun.

badger
2/6/2012, 04:35 PM
So I decided to peek at BaylorFans.com to see if there was any redeeming quality to this Baylor thing... and it turns out that there is... their fans :D

Link (http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232968)

They call me a "Bitter, bitter Okies" (my name ain't Legion, I ain't many, I'm just one badger, btw!), and because there is limited basketball talk here, allow me to respond to some of their complaints without actually responding on their site.

Oklahoma had their big-time recruit (C. Paris) and failed to win a NC. They squandered a great opportunity. It's our turn now and they are having a hard time dealing with that.

You mean it's your turn to squander a great opportunity with a big-time recruit? Well... if you consider "squandering" winning Big 12 titles and going to the Final Four... hey! That's exactly what YOUR big-time recruit has done so far at Baylor!

IS that an article or just some post on another site?

either way it is really bad and really stupid. There is nothing wrong with 2-4. Sure 1 was bad but it was several years ago and people have moved past it and don't define BG by it.

I can take the ego hit. The dissing of other teams at this point is just becoming kind of a pregame tradition. Please don't take it to heart. That's an Aggie thing to do.

But once again, survey says...

http://soonerpsycho.com/spfarksandpics/mulkeyhulk.gif
(Soonerpsycho's gift keeps on giving!)

EDIT: Oh man, that thread is still going and it is a fun read of imagined relevancy. It's like their eyes all got really huge and said "SOMEONE ELSE IS TALKING ABOUT OUR TEAM?!?! REALLY?!??!?!" lol.

badger
2/6/2012, 05:21 PM
OK, I know I usually save my "lose all self control and bash the opponent incoherently" moments for when we're losing by an outrageous amount of points, but eff it, let's go ahead and bash Baylor some more.

Why is the pac-16 thing such a big deal, oh lurkers from BF.com? Here, let me tell you about a little short story about a little community:

"Clean forgot what day it was," Skeletor said to Sherri, who stood next to her, and they both laughed softly. "Thought my old man was out back stacking wood," Skeletor went on, "and then I looked out the window and the kids was gone, and then I remembered it was the twenty-seventh and came a-running." She dried her hands on her apron, and Sherri said, "You're in time, though. They're still talking away up there."

A sudden hush fell on the crowd as Mr. DeLoss cleared his throat and looked at the list. "All ready?" he called. "Now, I'll read the names and conferences come up and take a paper out of the box. Keep the paper folded in your hand without looking at it until everyone has had a turn. Everything clear?"

"Big Ten.... Big 12..."

"Get up there, DeLoss," Skeletor said, and the people near her laughed.

After all conferences were read, there was a long pause, a breathless pause, until Mr. DeLoss, holding his slip of paper in the air, said, "All right, fellows." For a minute, no one moved, and then all the slips of paper were opened. Suddenly, all the women began to speak at once, saying, "Who is it?" "Who's got it?" "Is it the SEC?," "Is it the Pac?" Then the voices began to say, "It's DeLoss. It's Big 12," "Big 12's got it."

People began to look around to see the Big 12. DeLoss was standing quiet, staring down at the paper in his hand. Suddenly, Skeletor shouted, "You didn't give him time enough to take any paper he wanted. I saw you. It wasn't fair!"

"Be a good sport, Skeletor, " The SEC called, and Pac 10 said, "All of us took the same chance."

"Well, everyone," the NCAA said, "that was done pretty fast, and now we've got to be hurrying a little more to get done in time." He consulted his next list. "DeLoss," he said, "you draw for the Big 12 family. You got any other households in the Big 12?"

"There's the teams we left to rot when the SWC folded," Skeletor yelled. "Make them take their chance!"

"Teams draw with their new conferences, Skeletor," DeLoss said gently. "You know that as well as anyone else."

"It wasn't fair," Skeletor said.

"How many kids, DeLoss?" the NCAA asked formally.

"Three," Bill Hutchinson said. "There's Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State, and little Baylor. And OU and me."

"All right, then," the NCAA said.

"I think we ought to start over," Skeletor said, as quietly as she could. "I tell you it wasn't fair. You didn't give him time enough to choose. Everybody saw that."

The NCAA had selected the five slips and put them in the box, and he dropped all the papers but those onto the ground, where the breeze caught them and lifted them off.

"Listen, everybody," Skeletor was saying to the people around her.

"Ready, DeLoss?" Mr. Summers asked, and DeLoss, with one quick glance around at the rest of the Big 12, nodded.

The others opened their slips of paper and there was a general sigh through the crowd as they held them up and everyone could see that it was blank.

"It's Skeletor," Mr. Summers said, and his voice was hushed. "Show us her paper. DeLoss."

DeLoss went over to Skeletor and forced the slip of paper out of her hand. It had a black spot on it, the black spot the NCAA had made the night before with the heavy pencil in the coal company office. DeLoss held it up, and there was a stir in the crowd.

"All right, folks," the NCAA said. "Let's finish quickly."

Although college athletics had forgotten the ritual and lost the original black box, they still remembered to use stones. The pile of stones the boys had made earlier was ready; there were stones on the ground with the blowing scraps of paper that had come out of the box. TCU selected a stone so large she had to pick it up with both hands and turned to SMU. "Come on," she said. "Hurry up."

SMU had small stones in both hands, and she said. gasping for breath, "I can't run at all. You'll have to go ahead and I'll catch up with you."

The children had stones already, and someone gave little Texas Tech a few pebbles.

Skeletor was in the center of a cleared space by now, and she held her hands out desperately as the villagers moved in on her. "It isn't fair," she said. A stone hit her on the side of the head.

Old Man Texas A&M was saying, "Come on, come on, everyone." Oklahoma State was in the front of the crowd of villagers, with OU beside him.

"It isn't fair, it isn't right," Skeletor screamed and then they were upon her.

And there, folks, is why Baylor objected to the conference reallignment... because when the lottery came about, it was finally their turn to get stoned. Eff the defunct SWC, they didn't get their black marked paper then. But suddenly the SEC, Big Ten and Pac conferences come calling to disassemble the Big 12, Skeletor howls SHAAAAAAAAAAME!

With apologies to Shirley Jackson. :P

badger
2/6/2012, 05:40 PM
Holy cow... is everyone from BF.com on here now?!

Go to OUHoops.com. They love you over there. Seriously. LOVE you.

Oh wait... you don't want to be loved. You want material that you can bring back to your site and say "SEE?!?? SEE?!??! Those Boomer Cheaters (???) are jealous of Baylor because of how hot our coach is (!!!!!) and our recent success!!!!"

So, OK, I'll play along.

You are going to beat us by 50... no, wait. You don't want to hear the truth. You want something delusional, right? OK, here goes?!

WE GONE DONE BEAT DEM BAYLOR LADIES CUZ WE GONE DONE SHOT DEM DARE TREE POINTERZ AND SANK THEM THAR FREE FROWZ!

yeah... whatever...

badger
2/6/2012, 09:07 PM
Its pepto bismol night in waco

badger
2/6/2012, 09:10 PM
Oh,great the women are making the free throws the men needed hehe.

7-2 ou lead with 18ish left in first.

badger
2/6/2012, 09:14 PM
Ref drivel starts trickling in. :mad:

badger
2/6/2012, 09:16 PM
9-7 ou leads at first tv timeout. Heart still breaking over our sooner men. Shot... soo... close... :(

badger
2/6/2012, 09:18 PM
Oh great they're doing sports science on tall chick blocking.

Here's some science for you: she is TALL

badger
2/6/2012, 09:19 PM
Mcfarland is in. 53 to 1 payout on vbookie for some of you!

badger
2/6/2012, 09:23 PM
Yeah... i'm not gonna survive two sooner games in one nite... eff baylor. The refs will call tons of sh!t against us, the espn people be all like dunk this block that, make pink references, and i'll be all like all like ugggggggggghhhh.

badger
2/6/2012, 09:33 PM
i give up. they are calling everything against us and it's only halfway through the first. hey espn --- if you see crappy ratings for this game, it's because of one-sided officiating!!!!

or skeletor's pink leather. ewwwwww

badger
2/6/2012, 09:50 PM
I thought they would T up Skeletor there, but wow, whitney had three chances at the same shot because the refs are starting to swallow the whistle against us (as they should, they put baylor in double bonus range with half the first half left).

we are now only down 7... which means we're probably going to be seeing lots of "make up" calls go baylor's way the last few minutes of the half.

i really am through with play-by-play commenting here though... just thought i'd share that we brought a huge baylor lead back down to 7.

badger
2/6/2012, 10:27 PM
Skeletor got her technical, then shoved back her assistant when he tried to pull her back.

We are gonna lose by tons, but the skeletor show is amusing.

badger
2/6/2012, 11:06 PM
There's a lot of fail this second half. I really don't care though... at least its not 50 like i predicted in my original thread post hehe.

SicEmBaylor
2/7/2012, 12:34 AM
the fact that we have put up fights against some of their best teams and have swept them several times when they've had top teams (aka in the top ten), sometimes in overtime, sometimes for the Big 12 title.

This will not be such a year.

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2012, 12:11 PM
You cannot expect to beat Baylor when they are paying a $uch a large price for their men and women'$ basketball program$.

Not to mention they have $ome ugly guy playing for their women'$ team.

It will catch up to Baylor...and they will once again be $lapped down by the NCAA.

The only way Baylor can compete in anything i$ by $$$$

badger
2/7/2012, 01:09 PM
You cannot expect to beat Baylor when they are paying a $uch a large price for their men and women'$ basketball program$.

It will catch up to Baylor...and they will once again be $lapped down by the NCAA.

I doubt that the paying players issue has gotten to womens basketball yet... if so, it's pretty sad, because it's not a money making program for most schools and professional womens players make less than $100k annually in the WNBA usually.

I would frowny face your comment on that player's gender, but I vividly remember Baylor being among the opposing fanbases that would regularly make fun of our larger players for their size. And, like I mentioned on the other thread, they've sunk to Oklahoma stereotyping and such now, so... fair game.

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2012, 02:21 PM
I doubt that the paying players issue has gotten to womens basketball yet... if so, it's pretty sad, because it's not a money making program for most schools and professional womens players make less than $100k annually in the WNBA usually.

I would frowny face your comment on that player's gender, but I vividly remember Baylor being among the opposing fanbases that would regularly make fun of our larger players for their size. And, like I mentioned on the other thread, they've sunk to Oklahoma stereotyping and such now, so... fair game.

I guess we will find out about her sex when it comes time for her to attempt to play for the International team.

They have a policy that a woman cannot have too much testerone in her body. And I think this is the case for Andre's daughter....LOL

Chuck Bao
2/8/2012, 03:52 AM
Badger, you are so darn cute when you try to mean mouth a rival. I lol'ed a lot!

Okay, I still giggle like a little school girl whenever I think of Baylor being a rival to OU.

My mom was fussing about that game early this morning. She complained about the refs and Coach Mulkey intimidating the refs. My mom turned her back on me and said under her breath that Baylor would get its come uppance in the NCAA tournament when they meet UCONN again. I still heard her. I got even with my mom by wearing my Baylor sweatshirt when I drove her to her doctor's appointment this morning.

badger
2/8/2012, 08:25 AM
Badger, you are so darn cute when you try to mean mouth a rival. I lol'ed a lot!

I know, right? My level of "trash talking" is probably the most tame level on the intraweb. Baylor fans just aren't used to relevancy in sports, I guess. You'd think I barfed in their Dr. Pepper or something.

Your mom sounds fun. You should get her to post here :D

badger
2/8/2012, 05:55 PM
I decided to peek to see if they were still grouchy about OU... and saw this:

Coale is a favorite because she keeps her starters in against the other team's reserves so the Whitney Hands of this world can build up and pad their stats. Absence of competitive balance in an inherent trait and character (flaw?) of one Sherri Coale.

For the record, we're injured, so we have to play our starters more, even when we're down by 20+ or 30+.

- Joanna McFarland was out the past few weeks with a broken jaw.
- Jasmine Hartman is out for the season.
- Lyndsey Cloman is out for the season.
- Katherine Zander is out indefinitely with a practice injury.

That left us with one juco transfer "senior" (Jelina Cerlina) and a redshirt junior (Whitney) to go along with our sophomores and freshmen. Oh yeah, we're totally padding stats. :P

tycat947
2/8/2012, 06:00 PM

For the record, we're injured, so we have to play our starters more, even when we're down by 20+ or 30+.

That left us with one juco transfer "senior" (Jelina Cerlina) and a redshirt junior (Whitney) to go along with our sophomores and freshmen. Oh yeah, we're totally padding stats. :P

I can't stand Hypocrite U and their fans and lack of smarts!!! Thankfully, only the Sooner fans have "badger"!!!

SicEmBaylor
2/8/2012, 06:36 PM

That comment was more in reference to last year's game in which Mulkey had the class to pull her starters when the game got out of control. Coale did not reciprocate and left her starters in which closed the gap in the score and made the game appear more competitive than it was. Thus the padding of stats...

SicEmBaylor
2/8/2012, 10:35 PM

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/417594_339837899390469_100000927853761_1045441_187 9257672_n.jpg

badger
2/9/2012, 09:33 AM
Y'know what makes vSettlement easy? When the favored team loses. No worrying about figuring out the margin of victory (although adding the point totals for the over/under can sometimes be an exercise in seeing how awake my brain is the next morning).

That's why I liked vSettling the Kansas-Baylor men's basketball game last night. Not only did the favored teddy bears lose on their home court, they lost by a sizable margin. And bless those beary bears, they only scored 54, meaning the over/under was easy to add, too.

Bless you Baylor Baptist Bears. You make vModadoring easy :P

tycat947
2/9/2012, 12:10 PM
Y'know what makes vSettlement easy? When the favored team loses. No worrying about figuring out the margin of victory (although adding the point totals for the over/under can sometimes be an exercise in seeing how awake my brain is the next morning).

That's why I liked vSettling the Kansas-Baylor men's basketball game last night. Not only did the favored teddy bears lose on their home court, they lost by a sizable margin. And bless those beary bears, they only scored 54, meaning the over/under was easy to add, too.

Bless you Baylor Baptist Bears. You make vModadoring easy :P

PRICELESS!!! :congratulatory:

C&CDean
2/9/2012, 02:57 PM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/417594_339837899390469_100000927853761_1045441_187 9257672_n.jpg

This could quite possibly be the gayest thing I have ever eye witnessed.

Chuck Bao
2/10/2012, 02:06 AM
This could quite possibly be the gayest thing I have ever eye witnessed.

Yeah, the last time OU beat Baylor in football OR basketball was 2 Feb 2011. Some of us long-suffering Baylor fans may want to imagine it as flying bears with laser eyes. I know I do. If that is gay, well...you know. ;)

badger
2/10/2012, 08:25 AM
Yeah, the last time OU beat Baylor in football OR basketball was 2 Feb 2011. Some of us long-suffering Baylor fans may want to imagine it as flying bears with laser eyes. I know I do. If that is gay, well...you know. ;)

The last time OU beat Baylor in football or basketball never should have happened. Damn those NCAA rules and the ineligibility they cause at the last minute! Thank gawd that win didn't mean we had to keep Felton J the Third another year and he is now relegated back to the Duke bench where he belongs! You nearly effed us over by losing that day, Baylor, are we haven't forgotten! Your losses are coming, they are just lost in the mail at the moment...

NMSooner'80
2/10/2012, 02:03 PM
Didn't we beat Baylor in the men's Big 12 tourney last year? That was definitely after Feb. 2, 2011.

Chuck Bao
2/10/2012, 03:15 PM
Didn't we beat Baylor in the men's Big 12 tourney last year? That was definitely after Feb. 2, 2011.

Thanks for correcting me. I had forgotten to check the tourney.

badger
2/10/2012, 03:23 PM
I was referring to the tourney win in my above rant. I have no idea what happened on Feb. 2, other than the groundhog being dragged outta his Pennsylvania hole.

Perhaps we are living in fear of the thought that if we ever beat Baylor again that Felton J. Trey* will rear his ugly coaching back up in these here parts and therefore, we have resolved to take one for the whole of OU and never beat Baylor in a major sport again.

* His full name is Felton Jeff Capel III. After reading numerous reports on his hands-off lacking effort in coaching at OU, I was miffed at the thought of how he ran our program into the ground and resolved to call him "Felton" from then on.