PDA

View Full Version : W. Virginia cancels game with FSU

TheUnnamedSooner
2/6/2012, 10:40 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7540242/west-virginia-mountaineers-cancel-sept-8-game-florida-state-seminoles

Maybe they are making room for the Big 12 schedule? I know I'd be PO'd if I were FSU, getting canceled on this late.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- West Virginia has decided to cancel its Sept. 8 football game at Florida State.

School officials informed Florida State late Friday they would pay a $350,000 escape fee to shelve the trip.

Florida State athletic director Randy Spetman said Saturday he's disappointed that West Virginia would not honor the first half of a home-and-home agreement that calls for Florida State to visit Morgantown, W.Va., next year.

The Seminoles have Murray State, South Florida and Florida on their 2012 nonconference schedule, in addition to eight Atlantic Coast Conference games.

Spetman now has a short timeline to find an opponent to replace the Mountaineers on Florida State's schedule.

soonerboy_odanorth
2/6/2012, 11:41 AM
Sooners v. Seminoles in the Jones Palace or Georgia Dome? Orlando Sentinel dude says FSU AD has reached out to Castiglione...

What say you?

(Personally, I think it would be a bit much given it is rumored we are going to have to go to both TCU and WVA, and the huge home game against ND.)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/6/2012, 11:44 AM
May I recommend the UW Sheboygan Muskrats?

2/6/2012, 11:47 AM
Sooners v. Seminoles in the Jones Palace or Georgia Dome? Orlando Sentinel dude says FSU AD has reached out to Castiglione...

What say you?

(Personally, I think it would be a bit much given it is rumored we are going to have to go to both TCU and WVA, and the huge home game against ND.)That's right. We already have a bigtime schedule, with adding WVU AND TCU.

soonerboy_odanorth
2/6/2012, 11:48 AM
We have to go to Taco Tech, too. Tough road slate already.

badger
2/6/2012, 11:51 AM

What say you?

(Personally, I think it would be a bit much given it is rumored we are going to have to go to both TCU and WVA, and the huge home game against ND.)

I think that since we just beat em twice that it's time to give that matchup a rest since it's not a conference matchup. If it was another top team, I think it'd be worth considering, but the glitz and glam has worn off. We've beaten em repeatedly on neutral, home and away sites. Time to give it a rest for a bit.

2/6/2012, 11:58 AM
I think that since we just beat em twice that it's time to give that matchup a rest since it's not a conference matchup. If it was another top team, I think it'd be worth considering, but the glitz and glam has worn off. We've beaten em repeatedly on neutral, home and away sites. Time to give it a rest for a bit.FSU wants to beat us so badly they can taste it. Having been our whipping boys, while the Gators and the U have taken us to the woodshed. Their record with us is as embarrassing to them as our domer rivalry is with OU fans.

KantoSooner
2/6/2012, 12:38 PM
I've been waiting on the upcoming ND game for years now. Anything that draws focus away from that is a negative in my book.

And while we're on that topic, anything short of a 1,000 point victory and death for the entire ND team will be far, far too little. I want their grandchildren to remember that game with a shiver and involuntary loss of bladder control.

badger
2/6/2012, 12:52 PM
FSU wants to beat us so badly they can taste it. Having been our whipping boys, while the Gators and the U have taken us to the woodshed. Their record with us is as embarrassing to them as our domer rivalry is with OU fans.

So when we beat them again, will be like "Five out of 11?" to get to meet us again?

Seriously now, Noles, I know you have a scheduling snafu, but we've beaten you the past three times now... let's settle down for a bit and meet down the road instead... unless you want to join the Big 12. Wanna join the Big 12? :D

TheUnnamedSooner
2/6/2012, 01:14 PM
So when we beat them again, will be like "Five out of 11?" to get to meet us again?

Seriously now, Noles, I know you have a scheduling snafu, but we've beaten you the past three times now... let's settle down for a bit and meet down the road instead... unless you want to join the Big 12. Wanna join the Big 12? :D

We kinda have a scheduling snafu too. If they are interested in playing at Jerry world, I think that would be a great game for us even though we have played the last two years.

2/6/2012, 02:28 PM

Seriously now, Noles, I know you have a scheduling snafu, but we've beaten you the past three times now... let's settle down for a bit and meet down the road instead... unless you want to join the Big 12. Wanna join the Big 12? :DFSU was Barry's Bitch, too. I think they've only beaten us once, EVAR, just like our hideous record with the domer.

2/6/2012, 02:30 PM
I've been waiting on the upcoming ND game for years now. Anything that draws focus away from that is a negative in my book.

And while we're on that topic, anything short of a 1,000 point victory and death for the entire ND team will be far, far too little. I want their grandchildren to remember that game with a shiver and involuntary loss of bladder control.You have NAILED IT! This is the appropriate respons for our entire next season.

It would be nice to KO QB Kiel, for icing on the cake.

Soonermagik
2/6/2012, 02:59 PM
FSU wants to beat us so badly they can taste it. Having been our whipping boys, while the Gators and the U have taken us to the woodshed. Their record with us is as embarrassing to them as our domer rivalry is with OU fans.

Ummm... OU hammered Miami at home by like 20 or 30 points. Then they barely lost to them at the fins stadium... not woodshed at all. In fact, OU took Miami to the woodshed.

Florida won a closely contested national title game on home turf by 10 points. That was no woodshed beating, especially for a home game.

2/6/2012, 03:16 PM
Ummm... OU hammered Miami at home by like 20 or 30 points. Then they barely lost to them at the fins stadium... not woodshed at all. In fact, OU took Miami to the woodshed.

Florida won a closely contested national title game on home turf by 10 points. That was no woodshed beating, especially for a home game.our combined wins against FU and the U in the last 30+ years is 1...but, Long Ago, when Miami was everone's whipping boy, we dominated them, although we haven't played them all that many times. Yes, we COULD look it up.

BTW, that loss we had to the U a couple yrs ago you spoke of, in miami, was REPULSIVE! We had a better team, and better coaching (Randy Shannon for them), and it was the hardest loss for me that season, since we have some catching up to do with those guys.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/6/2012, 03:38 PM
our combined wins against FU and the U in the last 30+ years is 1...but, Long Ago, when Miami was everone's whipping boy, we dominated them, although we haven't played them all that many times. Yes, we COULD look it up.

BTW, that loss we had to the U a couple yrs ago you spoke of, in miami, was REPULSIVE! We had a better team, and better coaching (Randy Shannon for them), and it was the hardest loss for me that season, since we have some catching up to do with those guys.

It was a tough loss, especially since it was only by 1 point (I think). It was a little easy to swallow considering it was Landry's first real road game. He played well, but wasn't as prepared as he would have been had he gotten the snaps in the offseason.

2/6/2012, 04:10 PM
BRING ON THE DOMER! BRING IT!

8timechamps
2/6/2012, 06:09 PM
Given the way the BCS works, another big-time game does us no favors. I've always applauded Castiglione/Stoops for scheduling at least one decent OOC game, but there is no reason to play FSU again for the foreseeable future.

Salt City Sooner
2/6/2012, 06:31 PM
It was a tough loss, especially since it was only by 1 point (I think). It was a little easy to swallow considering it was Landry's first real road game. He played well, but wasn't as prepared as he would have been had he gotten the snaps in the offseason.
Ryan Broyles breaking his shoulder blade on the second play of the game didn't do him any favors either.

Soonermagik
2/6/2012, 08:37 PM
our combined wins against FU and the U in the last 30+ years is 1...but, Long Ago, when Miami was everone's whipping boy, we dominated them, although we haven't played them all that many times. Yes, we COULD look it up.

I penciled that game in as a loss with no Bradford before kickoff. Honestly, I was shocked they barely lost. If you look at the recent series between OU vs Miami... OU got the better of them. I mean, they got destroyed in Norman. They barely beat OU with a young QB in his first road game.

I hope OU gets another Miami or Florida State home and home series. Honestly, I think OU's success in Florida recruiting was playing their local schools the past few seasons. This is another reason why I would like to see a USC home and home.

StoopTroup
2/6/2012, 09:34 PM

What say you?

Per Stoops: we will play anybody anywhere.

I can understand Badgers point of view but with the BCS the way it is, if there is oom on the schedule...play them again.

8timechamps
2/6/2012, 10:35 PM
Per Stoops: we will play anybody anywhere.

I can understand Badgers point of view but with the BCS the way it is, if there is oom on the schedule...play them again.

NOOOOOOOO! You don't get rewarded for playing a tougher schedule in the BCS. In fact, you stand to lose more if you lose OOC.

Salt City Sooner
2/7/2012, 02:48 AM
NOOOOOOOO! You don't get rewarded for playing a tougher schedule in the BCS. In fact, you stand to lose more if you lose OOC.
2008 says hello. The 'horns edged us in the human portion of the BCS that year, but our strength in the computers (namely SOS) overrode it.

SoonernAR
2/7/2012, 04:12 AM
I now believe scheduling cupcakes is a outdated practice, I would rather have young men scared at the possibility of being defeated than think all they need to do is showup. The caliber of play can only make you strounger.

8timechamps
2/7/2012, 08:55 PM
2008 says hello. The 'horns edged us in the human portion of the BCS that year, but our strength in the computers (namely SOS) overrode it.

That was a perfect storm (or blessing). You can assume SOS was the deciding factor, but in reality, the computerized portion of the polls might as well be arbitrary. They all use different criteria and even the authors of the programs are not necessarily qualified. In fairness, all we can say for sure is that our final BCS standing put us in the Big XII CCG, and then the NCG. To say it was only because of SOS is (to me) a stretch. Not to mention our OOC schedule that year wasn't a world beater. Good, in that we played ranked teams, but not the best on record.

My point is that under the current structure of the BCS, you're better off having a lighter OOC schedule. Ask Michigan, who couldn't beg a quality opponent to come play in the Big House when they were playing the first game in the newly renovated stadium. Or even better, FSU who is having trouble finding an opponent now.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/8/2012, 12:29 PM
That was a perfect storm (or blessing). You can assume SOS was the deciding factor, but in reality, the computerized portion of the polls might as well be arbitrary. They all use different criteria and even the authors of the programs are not necessarily qualified.

Not really. Almost all the computers use SOS in their ranking.

StoopTroup
2/8/2012, 04:33 PM
If you want any kind of respect Nationally for winning the BCS National Championship, SOS and a tough OOC will continue to be a huge part of selecting the two best teams every year. To do anything else makes having a Playoff a much better system and will put an end to the BCS.

You can use such a statistical approach but it's not what will fill History Books with Great Teams, Great Plays, Great Players and Great memorable Games that will have even fans from other Schools remembering the 13-0 Season The Sooners had in 2000 against the Great FSU Team that was looking to be Back to Back Winners.

Your way merely gets OU or any other team to the big Game. It doesn't make it a great win, great season or a great memory.

8timechamps
2/8/2012, 07:08 PM
Not really. Almost all the computers use SOS in their ranking.

If you can show me a definitive set of qualifications (and how they are weighted) for the computer polls, it will be the first I've ever seen or heard of.

8timechamps
2/8/2012, 07:10 PM
If you want any kind of respect Nationally for winning the BCS National Championship, SOS and a tough OOC will continue to be a huge part of selecting the two best teams every year. To do anything else makes having a Playoff a much better system and will put an end to the BCS.

You can use such a statistical approach but it's not what will fill History Books with Great Teams, Great Plays, Great Players and Great memorable Games that will have even fans from other Schools remembering the 13-0 Season The Sooners had in 2000 against the Great FSU Team that was looking to be Back to Back Winners.

Your way merely gets OU or any other team to the big Game. It doesn't make it a great win, great season or a great memory.

If by "your way", you mean a playoff, then I couldn't disagree with you more. Ask fans of any FCS team that has won a championship in the past 20 years if they have any good memories, or if there were good players or good seasons in any of those years. Or, you could ask D3 fans while you're at it...oh, and NCAA basketball championship team's fans too.

Jdog
2/8/2012, 07:16 PM

outside of a couple of years ago when did we dominate Miami. We almost lost to em once when they were really bad in the 70's.

2/8/2012, 08:28 PM
outside of a couple of years ago when did we dominate Miami. We almost lost to em once when they were really bad in the 70's.Not sure. Without looking it up, I would guess they NEVER beat us before the 3 straight losses to them in the 80's.

Salt City Sooner
2/8/2012, 10:46 PM
Not sure. Without looking it up, I would guess they NEVER beat us before the 3 straight losses to them in the 80's.
This is correct, but both games were very close (4 & 3 points, respectively).

2/9/2012, 01:20 AM
This is correct, but both games were very close (4 & 3 points, respectively).So, they have scoreboard with us, 4 to 3!

TheUnnamedSooner
2/9/2012, 11:03 AM
If you can show me a definitive set of qualifications (and how they are weighted) for the computer polls, it will be the first I've ever seen or heard of.

Here's one of the computer rankings. Although they don't go into complete detail of how SOS is calculated, they do give an overview. Oklahoma State was ranked higher than Alabama in the computer rankings because of their SOS, but the Tide had such a big lead in the human polls it wasn't enough to overcome. Had the Cowboys and Tide been closer in the human polls (which is 66% of the BCS formula) their SOS would have put them in the title game.

http://www.andersonsports.com/football/ACF_frnk.html

lakesbison
2/13/2012, 09:45 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/350301/group/homepage/

NDSU (North Dakota State) FCS CHAMPION might pick up the florida state game, if sooners dont pick them up.

badger
2/13/2012, 10:00 AM
My point is that under the current structure of the BCS, you're better off having a lighter OOC schedule. Ask Michigan, who couldn't beg a quality opponent to come play in the Big House when they were playing the first game in the newly renovated stadium. Or even better, FSU who is having trouble finding an opponent now.

There were reports out there that Meatchicken has a more inflated view of themselves that Texas (just try to picture that for a second... and apologies when your head explodes trying to imagine an impossibility).

Basically, Meatchicken was getting out of home-and-homes because that meant they were scheduling away non-conference games. They needed the money of a home game more than scheduling a quality non-conference opponent.

Now here's where your head explodes: Texas was among those that they declined doing a home and home with, because they thought that a more fair option would be a 2 for 1, with two games at the Big House and one in Austin. Whorn turned that down, but of course.

It's not unheard of to turn down home and homes in favor of more home games. I mean, Nebrasky did it to Boise State, but then again, Boy-zee has a 30k stadium. Michigan and Texas? 2 for 1?! Hahahahahahaha.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/13/2012, 11:18 AM
Now here's where your head explodes: Texas was among those that they declined doing a home and home with, because they thought that a more fair option would be a 2 for 1, with two games at the Big House and one in Austin. Whorn turned that down, but of course.

That's crazy! Was this recent?

badger
2/13/2012, 11:43 AM
That's crazy! Was this recent?

I really, really wish I could find the article where I originally read it, but you know how Joe C. usually gets home and homes setup with our bowl opponents during the bowl games? I think that was when they likely began discussions, when whorn was beating meatchicken in the Rose Bowl.

However, the Michigan AD is very outspoken on his desire for having nothing but home games whenever possible, because that's where the money is. Apparently trying to get out of the UConn away game or at least moving it to a bigger venue that UConn's stadium. Apparently the only away games they're scheduling now outside their conference is Notre Dame. Everything else is home or a big time neutral site game (I think they play Bammer at Jerryworld in the coming seasons).

cccasooner2
2/13/2012, 11:50 AM
.......Michigan and Texas? 2 for 1?! Hahahahahahaha.

Would that be more palatable with the LHN or whatever it's called?