PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Busts over the past few years.....

Soonermagik
2/4/2012, 06:55 PM
Brandon Williams
Jermie Calhoun
Chijioke Onyenegecha
Mo Dampeer
Tony Cade
Marcus Trice
Brent Rawls
Josh Jarboe
Rhett (Big Red) Bomar
Chris (Smoke) Patterson
Justin McCay

Just a few guys that came to mind. Feel free to add any others. So, before we get too hyped up in these recruiting rankings.. many of these new guys will sadly never pan out. Heck, the Whorns always have top recruiting classes, but that rarely has translated to great teams.

oumartin
2/4/2012, 07:01 PM
Adrian Peterson= One good year.

En_Fuego
2/4/2012, 07:08 PM
=where we are today

rekamrettuB
2/4/2012, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't call Chijoke a "bust". Maybe not live up to the hype but he did start for a year+ and had some big plays in the win at Nebraska in '05.

I was really looking forward to Cade and Calhoun, after the letter he wrote and had the recruits sign prior to signing day. That was Calhoun right?

Eielson
2/4/2012, 07:26 PM
Who is hyping this class outside of the WR's? And if you don't think we'll have at least a great WR or two, you're nuts.

cccasooner2
2/4/2012, 08:15 PM
I never consider recruits that contributed on the field a bust. What peeved me were schollies that never played, especially JCs that were brought in to fill an immediate need and never saw the field.

BTW, I didn't remember AA Quinton Carter was only a two-star safety.

PLaw
2/4/2012, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't call Chijoke a "bust". Maybe not live up to the hype but he did start for a year+ and had some big plays in the win at Nebraska in '05.

I was really looking forward to Cade and Calhoun, after the letter he wrote and had the recruits sign prior to signing day. That was Calhoun right?

I think that was Justin Johnson, who also helped recruit Calhoun.

Both are gone; therefore, a recruiting bust.

Boomer

oumartin
2/4/2012, 09:09 PM
Marcus Dupree

EatLeadCommie
2/4/2012, 09:22 PM
Brandon Williams
Jermie Calhoun
Chijioke Onyenegecha
Mo Dampeer
Tony Cade
Marcus Trice
Brent Rawls
Josh Jarboe
Rhett (Big Red) Bomar
Chris (Smoke) Patterson
Justin McCay

I don't think I'd consider Williams a bust. He saw the field as a true freshman and made some plays. The kid will show his worth at aTm in a few years.

Smoke never attended OU so I don't think I'd classify him as a bust either. Did he ever end up doing anything at KSU?

Bomar started as a true freshman and ended up getting some pro snaps in spite of playing out the rest of his career with a I-AA team. Not a bust. More like a black mark on OU's history due to the Big Red fiasco.

Chijoke started both years he was here. He wasn't all he was hyped up to be, but he was definitely one of the better corners of the Stoops era.

PSK2080
2/4/2012, 09:29 PM
I don't think we ever really saw Chijioke 100% healthy. Didn't he tear a hamstring at juco and have trouble recovering afterward?

PSK2080
2/4/2012, 09:32 PM
Brandon Williams
Jermie Calhoun
Chijioke Onyenegecha
Mo Dampeer
Tony Cade
Marcus Trice
Brent Rawls
Josh Jarboe
Rhett (Big Red) Bomar
Chris (Smoke) Patterson
Justin McCay

Just a few guys that came to mind. Feel free to add any others. So, before we get too hyped up in these recruiting rankings.. many of these new guys will sadly never pan out. Heck, the Whorns always have top recruiting classes, but that rarely has translated to great teams.

Jarboe and Patterson never suited up at OU. I don't think they can be classified as busts.

Sooner Cal
2/4/2012, 10:08 PM
Maybe they were over-rated rather than under-performed. Fans really don't know much about each potential recruit. We rely on gurus to inform us. What do they really know? They make mistakes as do the coaches who recruit them. Fans have expectations. Often they aren't met. Who is wrong, the player or the fans. I suspect it more the fans who want to believe that the player is as good as advertised.

8timechamps
2/4/2012, 10:40 PM
Depends what your definition of "bust" is. If it's just a guy that came to OU and didn't start/play much, that's a completely different argument than guys that came to OU and left for some reason and pan out somewhere else.

OkieThunderLion
2/4/2012, 11:03 PM

Three 1,000-yard years. ?

OkieThunderLion
2/4/2012, 11:04 PM
Chijioke Onyenegecha

2005, All-conference.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2005/awards/big12.htm

OkieThunderLion
2/4/2012, 11:08 PM
Heck, the Whorns always have top recruiting classes, but that rarely has translated to great teams.
Best Recruiting Schools

Rivals and Scout Total Team Rankings ('02-'11)
1 - USC
2 - LSU
3 - Texas
4 - Georgia
5 - Oklahoma
6 - Florida
7 - Florida St
8 - Michigan
9 - Ohio St
10 - Tennessee
11 - Auburn
12 - Miami
13 - Alabama
14 - Notre Dame
15 - So Carolina

Eielson
2/4/2012, 11:12 PM
Best Recruiting Schools

Rivals and Scout Total Team Rankings ('02-'11)
1 - USC
2 - LSU
3 - Texas
4 - Georgia
5 - Oklahoma
6 - Florida
7 - Florida St
8 - Michigan
9 - Ohio St
10 - Tennessee
11 - Auburn
12 - Miami
13 - Alabama
14 - Notre Dame
15 - So Carolina

A lot of good teams in there. Maybe getting talented players does help.

starclassic tama
2/5/2012, 09:47 AM
I don't think I'd consider Williams a bust. He saw the field as a true freshman and made some plays. The kid will show his worth at aTm in a few years.

Smoke never attended OU so I don't think I'd classify him as a bust either. Did he ever end up doing anything at KSU?

Bomar started as a true freshman and ended up getting some pro snaps in spite of playing out the rest of his career with a I-AA team. Not a bust. More like a black mark on OU's history due to the Big Red fiasco.

Chijoke started both years he was here. He wasn't all he was hyped up to be, but he was definitely one of the better corners of the Stoops era.agree with this except for bomar was a redshirt freshman.

picasso
2/5/2012, 10:00 AM
I don't think we ever really saw Chijioke 100% healthy. Didn't he tear a hamstring at juco and have trouble recovering afterward?
He never was healthy here. The pros and cons of Schmidt.

picasso
2/5/2012, 10:02 AM
Marty thinks AD was a bust? I'm still thankful for the ignore button.

Soonermagik
2/5/2012, 11:25 AM
Let me explain something: I consider any player who is a 4 or 5 star player/ or highly touted player who doesn't live up to the hype to be a bust. Sure, that's subjective, but it's my take.

Dean Blevins and other recruiting gurus said Chijiokie was NFL ready in the JUCO ranks. Puhlease.. the guy couldn't cover squat. Sure.. he was fast, but he was out of position constantly. Oh.. and where is he now? He's not in the NFL. However, he's still playing football in the Canadian ranks for the Edmonton Eskimos according to wikipedia... sorry... that's a major bust. This guy was supposed to be a shutdown corner... never happened.

Bomar was a 5 star recruit! I believe he was in the top 3 in his class. Even before the whole Big Red deal he was never amazing. He's never been more than a 2nd or 3rd string QB for any NFL team. I'm sorry, but a 5 star player in my mind is someone like Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin etc.. Guys that lived up to the hype.

The only thing Mo Dampeer was stuffing.... was his face with the likes of IHOP, cheetos and twinkies.

Patterson was supposed to be the next Ray Lewis of LB's, but he couldn't even get out of NEO. I believe he played at Kansas State and did nothing.. huge bust!!

Josh Jarboe was a thug and was kicked out of more schools than I count.

I'm sorry, but these guys were all huge disappointments, which translates into busts for OU production.

picasso
2/5/2012, 12:22 PM
At the time we were recruiting him didn't CO have near to world class speed in the 100M? That along with his size was the reason for his hype. I doubt Dean even saw him play.

bixby28
2/5/2012, 02:17 PM

AD had 4,000 rushing yards in a 3 yr. career at OU. You're just a little incorrect.

nativesooner
2/9/2012, 04:34 PM
Chijoke would have had 10 picks if he didn't have rock hands! I remember at least 4 that hit his hands in one game and fell to the ground. lol!

Calhoun posing on the cover of a mag with the Heisman then not doing jack.... I'd consider him a huge one.

oumartin
2/9/2012, 05:10 PM
AD had 4,000 rushing yards in a 3 yr. career at OU. You're just a little incorrect.

and 2,000 of those came in one year...

goingoneight
2/9/2012, 06:24 PM
Hmm... let's see here.

AD was not a full-time starter til a few games in in 2004 and played injured the final three games, rushing for 1928 yards as a true freshman and finishing runner-up in the Heisman Trophy balloting.

In 2005, he played behind an attrocious line with a bad quarterback and an even worse receiving corps. Not only does that signal "key in on 28" to opposing defenses, he had a high ankle sprain that sidelined him for four and a half games. Mind you, even when you're cleared to play, high ankle sprain bruising and swelling lasts up to ten weeks. I have a purple calf muscle to prove it from mine 8 weeks ago. He was still All-Conference.

In 2006, he was still keyed-in on, but was producing very well. Then, boom... another injury. Do you really think A&M, Colorado, Texas Tech, Baylor, Misery and OSU had defenses that could stop him? Hint: if Oregon and Texas didn't, they sure as hell wouldn't have. Oh, yeah... there was that BIG 12 Championship game he missed, too. I'm not saying he'd have out-rushed Barry Sanders or anything like that, but 2000 or more was certainly not out of the question had he been healthy.

Then there was that bust of a rookie season where he out-performed every active running back in the NFL on a team with yet another attrocious passing game and a coach who would rather play Chester Cheetah half of the time it seemed like.

I tell ya, if that's a bust... it's scary to think what we're missing out on with the ones who "live up to the hype."

Always_Sooner
2/9/2012, 09:42 PM
Andron Tennell, Kevin Brent, and Tristan Ross.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/9/2012, 09:51 PM
I don't remember tristan ross being a highly recruited guy..it was just a 2 for 1 deal to get rawls i thought.

Eielson
2/9/2012, 09:54 PM
I don't remember tristan ross being a highly recruited guy..it was just a 2 for 1 deal to get rawls i thought.

Guess he was a bust then!

Always_Sooner
2/9/2012, 10:06 PM
I just remember the media going into the 2005 season was talking this guy up to produce and add immediate impact at the WR position. I know both UT and A&M wanted him out of high school. I am not too upset, because it allowed Malcolm Kelly, Manual Johnson, and Juaquin Iglesias a shot to play as freshman.

Always_Sooner
2/9/2012, 10:07 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-Tristen-Ross-8969

Always_Sooner
2/9/2012, 10:13 PM
Anyone remember Mike Reed the LB?

sooneron
2/9/2012, 10:33 PM
Patterson was supposed to be the next Ray Lewis of LB's, but he couldn't even get out of NEO. I believe he played at Kansas State and did nothing.. huge bust!!

I guess you're ignoring the fact that the Athl Dept totally screwed the kid by having him take classes that would not count towards him qualifying to enroll @ OU. I would imagine my sail would be pretty much in irons if I wasted a ****load of time in Miami, OK for nothing.

8timechamps
2/9/2012, 10:48 PM
I don't think any player coming from the JUCO ranks is "highly touted". Sure, there are some superstar players that come from JUCO, but if a guys is playing JUCO ball then the hype (if there was any coming out of high school) is just that, hype.

picasso
2/9/2012, 11:20 PM
I had high hopes for Tristan Ross.

StoopTroup
2/9/2012, 11:54 PM
and 2,000 of those came in one year...

I love your logic. I'm gonna use a little of it. That Bradford guy was a huge bust before the NFL Drafted him #1 and the Rams jammed 80+ million in his pockets. Thank God OU put up a Bronze Statue to remind us of what a bust looks like.

Scott D
2/10/2012, 03:20 PM
I don't think any player coming from the JUCO ranks is "highly touted". Sure, there are some superstar players that come from JUCO, but if a guys is playing JUCO ball then the hype (if there was any coming out of high school) is just that, hype.

eh, some of them were JUCOs because of qualification issues. Chris Patterson was a perfect example of this.

And fwiw, I don't take sm's list too seriously.

LRoss
2/10/2012, 04:36 PM
I thought you had to win one of those stiff-arm trophies to get a statue.

So Sam makes it, AD not quite, and pretty much everybody in this thread not even close!

papawlambert
2/10/2012, 05:43 PM
Cam Newton went to Blinn Jr College and played one year of college ball. Some Juco players are pretty good.

BoulderSooner79
2/10/2012, 07:03 PM
Josh Jarboe realized the highest hopes I had for him - I hoped he would never set foot on OUr campus. Not a bust for me.

cccasooner2
2/10/2012, 07:19 PM
Cam Newton went to Blinn Jr College and played one year of college ball. Some Juco players are pretty good.

Josh Heupel, Lance M, Torrance M (not out of HS anyway), Pasha J., Nicholson, Remi A, CJ A, the real AP, Phil L. for starters at OU.

8timechamps
2/11/2012, 02:00 AM
eh, some of them were JUCOs because of qualification issues. Chris Patterson was a perfect example of this.

And fwiw, I don't take sm's list too seriously.

I know there are studs playing in the JUCO ranks because of qualification issues (Our newest LT Will Latu is a perfect example). My point was that I've neever seen/heard the hype maching working overtime about any JUCO transfer. Even when Cam Newton got to Auburn, the initial reaction was "who?", or "oh, that's the kid that stole the laptop at UF". Seems two years out of the (football ) mainstream, and the hype machine moves on to the next crop of 18 year olds.

King Crimson
2/11/2012, 03:02 AM
I know there are studs playing in the JUCO ranks because of qualification issues (Our newest LT Will Latu is a perfect example). My point was that I've neever seen/heard the hype maching working overtime about any JUCO transfer.

i seem to recall both Loadholt and one of CJ or Ayodele (I forget which) both signed orig with Colorado and Barnett before not qualifying.

BoulderSooner79
2/11/2012, 11:06 AM
I know there are studs playing in the JUCO ranks because of qualification issues (Our newest LT Will Latu is a perfect example). My point was that I've neever seen/heard the hype maching working overtime about any JUCO transfer. Even when Cam Newton got to Auburn, the initial reaction was "who?", or "oh, that's the kid that stole the laptop at UF". Seems two years out of the (football ) mainstream, and the hype machine moves on to the next crop of 18 year olds.

There was a ton of hype about Newton choosing a team post-JUCO and that was before his Dad's pay-for-play came to the surface. But the recruiting services make their living watching HS kids, so Newton was certainly an exception.

8timechamps
2/11/2012, 07:23 PM
There was a ton of hype about Newton choosing a team post-JUCO and that was before his Dad's pay-for-play came to the surface. But the recruiting services make their living watching HS kids, so Newton was certainly an exception.

I consider myself pretty "plugged in" when it comes to college football and recruiting, and I can honestly say I don't remember a thing about Cam Newton coming out of Blinn. I know a lot of the JUCO kids are highly touted coming out of high school, but that all seems to drop off after that. I think it has a lot to do with what you said, the services make money on covering the HS kids, so I guess it's a numbers game.

I just don't think a JUCO player can really be a "bust", because I can't think of any JUCO player having anywhere near the hype of even a 4 star recruit.

oudavid1
2/11/2012, 11:58 PM
I cant think of any. But then again, I also know how old these kids are.

BoulderSooner79
2/12/2012, 06:26 AM
I consider myself pretty "plugged in" when it comes to college football and recruiting, and I can honestly say I don't remember a thing about Cam Newton coming out of Blinn. I know a lot of the JUCO kids are highly touted coming out of high school, but that all seems to drop off after that. I think it has a lot to do with what you said, the services make money on covering the HS kids, so I guess it's a numbers game.

I just don't think a JUCO player can really be a "bust", because I can't think of any JUCO player having anywhere near the hype of even a 4 star recruit.

I sure remember the hype and OU was included because Newton visited. They kept replaying his one run when he was a gator and ran over some defender. The replays from Blinn looked cheaper than most HS footage. But he wasn't serious about OU because LJ was a returning starter - plenty of discussion on this board about whether we fans wanted him. Of course when he chose Auburn, he wasn't that good anyway, was a thief and his dad was a crook and we never wanted him in the first place :)

Scott D
2/13/2012, 10:49 AM

I would generally agree that a JuCo shouldn't be considered a bust, but once again look at the nature of the one who made the list and it should all click.

PalmBeachSooner
2/13/2012, 02:17 PM
Who is hyping this class outside of the WR's? And if you don't think we'll have at least a great WR or two, you're nuts.

Bobcat your nuts!

Captain Obvious
2/17/2012, 10:03 AM
What was that white safety from Florida's name? Brett bowers? Whatever it was... BUST

MojoRisen
2/17/2012, 11:32 AM
Defensive Lineman last 2 years - bust... Who was the kid from Vegas who tried to whack his girlfriend prior to enrolling at OU..

mojorisen2014
2/17/2012, 11:57 AM
Defensive Lineman last 2 years - bust... Who was the kid from Vegas who tried to whack his girlfriend prior to enrolling at OU.. justin chassion or something like that