PDA

View Full Version : Why no early signing date for college FB?

ouwasp
2/4/2012, 01:29 PM
Reading the fine Durron Neal article caused to wonder about a question I saw on another board. Why is there not an ealry signing date for college football prospects? The NCAA allows it in basketball. <shrug> is just seems that if a young man has made his mind up, and is willing to truly commit, why not let him?

StoopTroup
2/4/2012, 03:39 PM
Coaching Changes?

prrriiide
2/4/2012, 06:43 PM
Probably because there are such strict limitations on contact during the Jr. year of H.S. If you give an early signing date for football, you essentially move all of the zaniness of LOI day up a few months. Besides, bb season is more conducive to an early signing day than football because of those contact restrictions. IOW, bb kids have more time between when their recruiting opens up and early signing day than any football recruit could hope to have.

8timechamps
2/4/2012, 10:55 PM
Football has an early signing period, but it's only for JUCO players.

The basketball early period has something to due with the schedule of games a player is allowed to participate in, and the limited number of scholarships available (I think basketball is around 12, and football is 85). I don't know the specifics of the rule, or why football only allows JUCO players to sign early.