PDA

View Full Version : Looks like USC is up to no good

Dan Thompson
2/3/2012, 03:24 PM
ESPN may have helped Lane Kiffin commit another recruiting violationIt wouldn't be a National Signing Day without a potential NCAA violation by Lane Kiffin.
Around 8:30 a.m. on the USC campus, ESPN reporter Shelley Smith recounted a text message she had received from Kiffin about three hours earlier on the air, and possibly walked the Trojans right into a secondary recruiting violation.
"I got a text from Lane Kiffin at 5:15 this morning telling me to wake up, it was a big day and then I got a second text saying, 'We need to get Nelson,'" Smith said live on ESPNU. "Now, I'm not sure what last name because he didn't tell me that, there are a lot of Nelson's out there, but I'm going to guess that it's Nelson Agholor, a very highly talented athlete out of Tampa, Florida. He is expected to sign either with Florida or with USC in the next 45 minutes."
Here the thing: Coaches aren't allowed to talk about any recruit that hasn't signed a national letter of intent and as Smith noted herself, Nelson wasn't set to make his announcement until at least 45 later.
Whoops.
According to the NCAA (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2011/February/Signature+moment+The+evolution+of+the+National+Let ter+of+Intent):

Coaches can't talk about recruits before having a valid National Letter of Intent on file, and they can't attend NLI signings not on an institution's campus. Not allowing coaches to talk about the players they are recruiting avoids the "one-upmanship" that could (and previously did) occur between coaches in the recruiting process.
Sadly, this isn't the first time ESPN has had a hand in helping Kiffin into a secondary violation (http://deadspin.com/5283184/espn-now-enabling-lane-kiffins-recruiting-violations). During Kiffin's brief tenure at Tennessee, he allowed ESPN to do an "Outside The Lines" piece on him and that segment included a scene of Kiffin having a meeting with a couple of recruits, which was a violation because media is not allowed to observe a coach having contact with a recruit.
That was just one of 12 secondary violations (http://dailytrojan.com/2011/08/24/kiffin-escapes-punishment-from-ncaa/) Kiffin committed in a 10-month span in Knoxville, all of them linked to recruiting.
Until today, Kiffin had been unscathed during his tenure at USC.
While Smith was probably just trying to use her relationship with Kiffin to give some depth to her report, it definitely backfired. USC probably won't get more than a slap on the wrist for this, but perhaps Kiffin needs to be a little more careful about what he says. """

----
Nothing will happen. He got away with sending a limo to the airport to pickup a recruit since he has been at USC. I remember how much trouble the King got into for doing the same thing.

badger
2/3/2012, 03:27 PM
Meh, read about this a few days ago. USC only signed 12 in their class, so I'll just give em a hearty HA HA because that is going throw their depth chart waaaaay behind in the coming years.

Fraggle145
2/3/2012, 03:31 PM
Yep. Vet already started a thread on this.

EatLeadCommie
2/3/2012, 03:36 PM
I really don't think that's a big deal. I'm sure they'll self-report, but it's really nothing. I mean, if he's telling a friend or wife that he'd like to get so and so, what rule is that really violating?

jumperstop
2/3/2012, 03:42 PM
I really don't think that's a big deal. I'm sure they'll self-report, but it's really nothing. I mean, if he's telling a friend or wife that he'd like to get so and so, what rule is that really violating?
The one where he isn't supposed to talk about recruits before they sign....

rekamrettuB
2/3/2012, 04:17 PM

Well...this one

Coaches can't talk about recruits before having a valid National Letter of Intent on file, and they can't attend NLI signings not on an institution's campus. Not allowing coaches to talk about the players they are recruiting avoids the "one-upmanship" that could (and previously did) occur between coaches in the recruiting process

I know what you are saying it's kind of a petty rule but it is a rule...and without rules, we have Anarchy!

stoopified
2/3/2012, 05:13 PM
Lane ain't worried,NCAA rules don't apply to USC.

EatLeadCommie
2/3/2012, 05:14 PM
The one where he isn't supposed to talk about recruits before they sign....
meh, that's all relative...does that mean they can't discuss it with their own coaches or other players? The rule is in place not to keep guys from Kiffin from talking about it in general, but from making public pronouncements in the recruiting process that may pressure or sway a recruit one way or the other. Talking to his wife about it or texting a reporter about it off the record an hour before NLIs can be signed does not violate the spirit of the rule.

MojoRisen
2/3/2012, 06:45 PM
It does when she publically goes on ESPN and says Lane Kiffen really really wants so and so - that is an unfair advantage.