PDA

View Full Version : Urban Meyer making enemies in the Big Ten already

badger
2/3/2012, 12:22 PM
Since we're already talking about Les Miles and Nick Saban, here's something fun on Urban Meyer:

Link (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-02-02/urban-meyer-negative-recruiting-ohio-state-bret-bielema-upset?eadid=EL/SICOM)

In a nutshell, Urban is accused of something allowed by NCAA rules, but not by Big Ten gentlemanly agreements: Recruiting players that have publicly verbally committed to other Big Ten schools.

Reminds me of this (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3886703) little episode involving Lane Kiffiekins.

I do not blame Urbs for doing this. He had a late start on recruiting compared with other Big Ten schools and needed to get people signed to tOSU on short notice... and, let's face it, these coaches make too much money for gentleman's agreements to be made anymore. Win or get fired, ESPECIALLY at Ohio State.

OULenexaman
2/3/2012, 12:40 PM
hey....they shoulda sent him a memo......for him to laugh at. Like Pelini probably did.

badger
2/3/2012, 12:45 PM
hey....they shoulda sent him a memo......for him to laugh at. Like Pelini probably did.

They're like the old farts that think they can enforce neighborhood charter rules and neighborhood association fees. :D

LVSOONER15
2/3/2012, 12:50 PM
Hey man its a game, win or get out. Those kids are free game until they sign. I don't blame him either.

PalmettoSooner
2/3/2012, 12:57 PM
Sounds like some of these coaches are pissed off b/c they worked hard for a year to get these kids to come to their school and Urban comes in steals these kids from them in less than 2 months.

Soonerjeepman
2/3/2012, 01:06 PM
glad OUr coaches don't give up on guys...we'd had missed out on some studs...

LVSOONER15
2/3/2012, 01:07 PM
glad OUr coaches don't give up on guys...we'd had missed out on some studs...

Checkout the new thread I just started.

Widescreen
2/3/2012, 01:21 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_VAx3v2_5J_o/TFSv3l-uxRI/AAAAAAAAAJ4/AbJUN4JnE8w/s1600/tpsreports.jpg

Urban, did you get the memo?

ashley
2/3/2012, 01:30 PM
That agreement wouldn't last thirty seconds in the Big 12 or the SEC.

badger
2/3/2012, 01:41 PM
That agreement wouldn't last thirty seconds in the Big 12 or the SEC.

A little story:

During a state senate election, a candidate presented a "clean campaign" pledge among himself and the other two candidates from the same party, saying that they would not trash talk each other or mudsling or whatever through the primary, so as to prevent giving ammunition to the other party's candidates for the main election.

My memory gets fuzzy over time, but a week before the election, I think one of the candidates sent a negative mailer about his biggest competitor and then things turned ugly. So much for clean campaign pledges. :D

OULenexaman
2/3/2012, 02:09 PM
That agreement wouldn't last thirty seconds in the Big 12 or the SEC. and won't in the BIG much longer.... http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7537382/wisconsin-badgers-barry-alvarez-says-there-no-big-ten-recruiting-pact

nothing like having your AD telling you to STFU.

badger
2/3/2012, 02:25 PM
and won't in the BIG much longer.... http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7537382/wisconsin-badgers-barry-alvarez-says-there-no-big-ten-recruiting-pact

nothing like having your AD telling you to STFU.

Barry Alvarez is probably tired of losing Rose Bowls. He's probably all like "Bret, I never lost the Rose Bowl when I was coaching Wisconsin. STFU and go win me a Rose Bowl!"

And of note, those top recruits that defected to tOSU from Wisky and Meatchicken State? They were both Ohio high schoolers. So... who's doing the poaching, the outta state schools for crossing into enemy territory or the in-state school that gets a verbal to switch?

SoonerDood
2/3/2012, 05:51 PM
"Those verbal commitments aren't worth the paper they're printed on."

OU_Sooners75
2/3/2012, 06:17 PM
Folks, this is what is wrong with the Big 10 and why they will always suck *** in football...besides the ultimate fact that they play in the north and no kid wants to endure their winters by choice!

stoops the eternal pimp
2/3/2012, 07:05 PM
Sounds like when I play games with my kids and they make up rules to keep me from winning.

8timechamps
2/3/2012, 08:49 PM
The Big Ten needs to sit down and shut up when it comes to anything involving "understood rules". I hope Meyer steals hundreds of "verbally committed elsewhere" recruits and goes undefeated in the conference every year he's there (and I hate tOSU).

birddog
2/3/2012, 09:34 PM
i'm ready to see the wolverines dominate tOSU. Brady Hoke is matt foley reincarnated and we all know his motivational speeches. tOSU can continue to get trounced by sec teams in meaningless bowl games as far as i'm concerned.

Frozen Sooner
2/4/2012, 12:04 AM
Sounds like when I play games with my kids and they make up rules to keep me from winning.

You're the guy who blocks his four-year-old's shot then poses him down, aren't you? ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
2/4/2012, 08:53 AM
He needs to know..He needs to know

Spanish Sooner
2/4/2012, 12:07 PM
This reminds me of a story I heard from my Dad, where if a recruit verbally committed to a school in the SWC conference you weren't allowed to recruit them anymore. As the story goes Barry Switzer would convince recruits to verbally commit to Baylor so that they could no loner be recruited by those folk in Austin, then swoop in at the last moment and get them signed to OU

badger
2/4/2012, 12:22 PM
This reminds me of a story I heard from my Dad, where if a recruit verbally committed to a school in the SWC conference you weren't allowed to recruit them anymore. As the story goes Barry Switzer would convince recruits to verbally commit to Baylor so that they could no loner be recruited by those folk in Austin, then swoop in at the last moment and get them signed to OU

That's why they call him the King I guess. Hook em

That does bring up a good point though... why have a gentlemen's agreement between Big Ten coaches when coaches from the Big 12, the ACC, the SEC or anywhere else could still actively recruit them? Doesn't make sense. It ties your hands and gives other conferences an advantage that you shouldn't be letting them have.

One might say "Better they go to another conference than a conference rival," but that was the stance Ed Orgeron took when he suggested to old boss Pete Carroll that he recruit Louisiana running back Joe McKnight. Sure, he didn't go to LSU, but he didn't go to your school, either... and you were fired the next season from Ole Miss, if I recall correctly.

49r
2/4/2012, 01:29 PM
Bret Bielema Has Sand In His Pants, And Wants Jim Delany To Know About It (http://www.offtackleempire.com/2012/2/3/2637000/the-commissioner-calls-a-meeting)

URBAN MEYER IS A MEANIE POOPY McPOOPENSMITH AND STEALS THEM!! WAAAAAAAAAAHH!! WAAAAAAAHHHH! WAAAAAAH!!!

Frozen Sooner
2/4/2012, 05:46 PM

Yep. That was the model of the present-day NLI. King talks about it in Bootlegger's Boy.

cccasooner2
2/5/2012, 03:09 PM
He should hire Jamar Hornsby as one of his defensive coaches (bringing a little Florida sunshine to Ohio). :D